Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thinking about an Auramancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Pooshy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

Thinking about an Auramancer

Dream helm
    Dream Shield
    Dragon armor (or nigma)
    Hand of Justice weapon

Arach belt
    +skills ammy
    +soj rings
    Marrow Boots

Now also on a merc
    I think an infinity merc would be required, he could wear a dragon armor as well or fort and possibly dream helm, or if he needs leech 12LL crown of thieves

I wouldget + curse charms to utilise my lower resist skill.

I'd have maxed SM + Mages and either a Iron Golem (how sweet would a Law bringer Ig be?> hehehe) or Fire Golem ( still gotta check stats on his holy fire at higher levels)

Or instead I could go the path of a bone necro and utlitise the effts of bone armor so I can be a tank myself
    anyone think this would be capable in hell?

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

In my opinion, it'd be a waste of High Runes. Dragon + HoJ will give you 267 fire damage per attack. Dual Dreams will give you 834.5 Lightning Damage per attack. Both of those values are pretty darn pathetic when you realize that Gimmershreds add 902 elemental damage per hit all by their very lonesome. When one piece of gear adds almost as much elemental damage as 4 pieces of gear requiring a whopping *NINE* duped runes, then something's the matter.

Really, you hear a lot about Dream and Dragon and HoJ, etc... but unless you're a Paladin or a Sorceress, they're worthless. For any of the 5 other characters (Necro, Assassin, Amazon, Druid, Barbarian), you're MUCH better off getting some simple elemental damage gear- things like Gimmershreds, the IK set, Azurewrath, Tiamat's Rebuke, Elemental damage jewels and charms, Duress, etc. For Paladins and Sorcs, Holy Fire and Holy Shock are good (because they can synergize them). For anyone else, Holy Fire and Holy Shock are wildly overrated.

3. DaemonAkuma

DaemonAkuma IncGamers Member

To answer your question about being utillized in Hell...well, everything ispossible, but I would lean this much farther to the "no" side...sorry bud. Good thinking though; there is a need for non "cookie cutter" builds.

4. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

alright thats cool

I had a summonor before but now I'm making a bone. I'm having trouble finding stats on Iron Golem vs Fire golem. I'm not a huge fan of this search engine, does anyone have any weblinks for their stats? (is it fire golems holy fire dependent on +more skills or anything?) I wanna max iron golem just so I have the ability to make different golems when i wish.

But also want to know if its worth it, if they survive in hell well or not.

5. DaemonAkuma

DaemonAkuma IncGamers Member

Fire Golem is utterly worthless. I'll save you the trouble of wasting time researching it; I exhausted every source this web site has to compare golems. The only exception I can think of is if you're using pvp, in which case a CB Iron G with good Resists or a clay on melee fighters (watch them try to kill it, get slowed, and barely hurt it bc of its 25% res to phys attacks+-50% phys damage from enemy =75% less physical damage incurred, add on Decrepify and wowee). Fire golem would really only be MILDLY useful as a finish-offer with his aura if you had a merc with infinity for the conviction. But still that would only be against sorc/bonemancers or elem druids. Clay is what I always say is the best, but I won't pretend to be knowledgeable in which G is best for pvp although Clay has always done wonders for me. Iron G might be useful against melee but nothing else really unless it could sneak in and use CB. Otherwise it would suffer damage pretty hard, and it has significantly less life (and no phys res) as clay.

I doubt that helped much, but I'll hope it did.

6. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

First off, a brief discussion of Golem synergies. The short story is that they're pretty much useless. You see, it's not immediately clear, but the Fire and Blood golem synergies only boost the golem's BASE value, not its listed value. In other words, the +5% life per level from Blood Golem stacks ADDITIVELY with the +20% life per level from Golem Mastery... or, in other words, each point in Golem Mastery boosts golem life by FOUR TIMES as much as a point in Blood Golem. Furthermore, if you have a slvl 20 Golem Mastery, maxing Blood Golem only increases the Golem's total life by 20% over its current maximum (and higher mastery makes Blood Golem even LESS useful, relatively speaking). So the Blood Golem synergy is a VERY weak synergy... and the Fire Golem synergy is even weaker. A maxed Fire Golem will add about 26 points of damage to an Iron Golem, 22 points of damage to a Blood Golem, and 6 points of damage to a Clay Golem. In other words, never, ever, ever, ever, ever spend a single point in Drippy or Sparky for no reason other than to synergize a different golem. It's just not worth it.

As for the Clay synergy... the Clay synergy is another weak synergy. With a maxed Clay Golem, it'll add 400 AR (compared to 500 AR for maxed Golem Mastery). Furthermore, Golems get a nice AR boost based on your level when you cast them (38 points per character level). In short, with a slvl 12 Golem Mastery and a clvl 80 character, maxing Clay Golem only takes your golem's AR from about 3600 to about 4000- not worth it. And as for the Iron synergy... well, this one is actually the best of the bunch, but it's still pretty darn weak, too. It's also really bad when you're using an Iron or Clay golem, because you frequently *WANT* them to get hit.

Anyway, on the golems themselves...

Clay Golem
    aka Lumpy, Gumby, Muddy
    Pros: Highest Life. Slows Target. Most recastable.
    Cons: Damage? Pretty much nonexistant.
    Base Resists: 25% physical, 50% cold, 20% lightning
    Additional Points Boost:

* Base life (~101 life per point in Hell, further boosted by Golem Mastery and Blood Golem)
    * Base damage (negligible)
    * Slows Target (diminishing returns)
    * Attack Rating (20 AR per point)
    * AR Synergy for other Golems (20 AR per point)
    * Mana Cost (15 mana for slvl 1, +3 mana per point after that)

This is the golem of choice for 99.9% of the Necromancer population- in fact, if you're using anything other than Lumpy or an aura-granting Iron Golem, you'll probably get laughed at in pubbies. The reason is because he's far and away the best tank of the bunch, since he's the only golem whose base life will increase with more points. If you cared, you could summon a Gumby with over 50,000 hitpoints. Even with just 1 point in Clay, 1 point in Mastery, and 1 point in Summon resists, combined with +12 skills, he's a phenominal little tank, with over 5,000 hp and a mana cost low enough that you can recast him with ease.

His hit slows target will go up with extra skill points, but between the +skills and the diminishing returns, it's not worth boosting him just for that reason. His slows target will trigger every time he either HITS an enemy, or IS HIT by an enemy. His slows target will STACK with Cold Damage, Holy Freeze, and Decrep, giving you the means to absolutely shut monsters down cold. One bug that you should be aware of is that Gumby's Slows Target counts as item-based slows target, so it WILL NOT stack with something like a Kelpie Snare on your Merc- even worse, if you keep hitting monsters with different sources of slows target, the game gets confused and massive desynch occurs. If you use Gumby a ton, I'd forego any Slows Target gear on you or your merc.

Best use: 1-point wonder for all Necro Builds, especially against fast or dangerous enemies. With enough +skills, he'll have phenominal life with just one point. No synergy really benefits Lumpy, since his life is great without Blood, his damage is pathetic even with Sparky, and because you don't want to raise his DR any with Iron (remember- you want him to get hit so his slows target will trigger).

Blood Golem
    aka Drippy, Icky, Squishy
    Pros: HUGE life drain. Very recastable.
    Cons: Very low damage (although at least noticeable compared to Clay). Lowest life of golems (although this can be a plus). Worst resists. You take 10% of the damage dealt to Drippy.
    Base Resists: 20% poison, 20% magic
    Additional Points Boost:

* Base damage (+6.5 average damage per point in Hell)
    * Leech (diminishing returns)
    * Life Synergy for other Golems (+5% life per point)
    * Mana Cost (25 mana for slvl 1, +4 mana per point after that)

Far and away the least popular golem choice out there, but not nearly as useless as he's portrayed. First off, he can never deal more total damage to you than 10% of his hit points, which can only be increased via Golem Mastery (points in Drippy don't boost his HP). With a slvl 12 Mastery, he can never deal more than 217 damage to you, which is a pretty tolerable amount for what you get back.

You see, what you get back is phenominal leech. A slvl 35 Drippy will deal 238.5 average damage per hit, and leech back 144% (~343 average damage). Of that 343 damage, 70% will go straight back to Drippy, and 30% will go to you (along with any overflow if Drippy's already maxed out). That's over 100 HP healed every time he manages to land a hit. Pretty decent stuff, to be quite honest. If you amp monsters first, Drippy could easily leech you back 200 HP per hit- which is more life leeched in 1 hit than he could possibly cost you if he got killed in action. Running Drippy is sort of like running redemption or a Carrion Vine. You'll be wandering around and then all of a sudden you'll notice that you just got healed of huge chunks of damage at once.

Best use: best on Necros that are frequently getting hurt, such as Daggermancers or Meleemancers. If you're going to run Drippy, *ALWAYS* max him, because it will dramatically increase the damage he leeches without increasing the damage he can deal to you in the slightest. Keep Golem Mastery at 1 point at all times to keep Drippy's life down at safe levels, and remember that Drippy can never deal more than 10% of his total HP in damage to you (and that's only if he doesn't get a chance to leech while he's getting hit). Try to keep him out of Hit Recovery so he keeps leeching, try to keep him from getting swarmed if at all possible, and possibly consider the Iron Golem synergy (to keep him from getting hit as much)... or if you're really desperate, consider the Clay Golem synergy (although it's a very weak AR boost). Drippy benefits a lot from Blessed Aim mercs or Rogue Mercs- more hitting = more leeching, which is a good thing. Good curses to use with Drippy include Confuse/Dim (to keep him from getting swarmed), Amp (to double his leech), and Decrep (to keep him safe AND boost his leech).

Iron Golem
    aka Spiky, Pokey, Rusty, Iggy
    Pros: Very versatile. Potentially the highest damage, the best resists, or the highest defense (depending on what you make it from). Can also get great ctc or aura mods. Most useful synergy.
    Cons: Requires an item to make, meaning it's the least-recastable.
    Base Resists: 50% lightning, 100% poison
    Additional Points Boost:

* Damage returned via Thorns (150% returned at slvl 1, +15% returned for each point after that)
    * Base defense (+35 per point)
    * Defense synergy for other golems (+35 per point)

The second most popular golem, and with good reason- Rusty can be a very fun golem, depending on what you summon him out of. Summoned out of a CB weapon (such as a cheap Strength runeword), he will greatly contribute to killing speed against bosses. Summoned out of a high-damage weapon (such as a Cruel Thunder Maul), he'll deal the best damage of any golem in the game (you can hit 1,000 physical with a good golem and a solid merc, which gets further boosted by Amp). Summoned out of a high-resist item, he can become elementally immune, which gives you a GREAT tank for running the council or taking on FELEs. In fact, with slvl 6 Summon Resist, Rusty will already be immune to Lightning, which makes him a great tank against Gloams or Tainted-types. Oh, and you can also make a "Steam Golem" by summoning Rusty out of an Insight stick. Such a golem gives you the Meditation aura while freeing up your merc to do whatever he wants (or even potentially letting you replace that A2 merc with an A1, A3, or A5 merc).

Rusty can be summoned from most metallic items (and, oddly enough, thunder mauls), but not things like bows, crossbows, belts, leather armor (even studded), etc. It's a shame, because I would *LOVE* to make a Harmony Golem sometime.

Best use: 1-point wonder for all Necro Builds. Additional points only boost the damage return (which is only useful in deviant builds) and the defense. The defense synergy is pretty weak, so unless you plan on making super-expensive Iron Golems (like from Beast or something), don't even bother boosting the actual IG skill. Just max out Mastery, and possibly Blood Golem (which is a weak synergy, but when it comes to protecting expensive IGs, might be worth it).

Fire Golem
    aka Sparky
    Pros: Second best life, Second best damage, absolute MONSTER MAGNET, far and away the most stylish golem.
    Cons: Expensive and not very recastable, can wake up offscreen monsters that you'd rather let sleep.
    Base Resists: 164% Fire Resist
    Additional Points Boost:

* Fire Damage (+13.5 Fire Damage per point in Hell)
    * Holy Fire Aura (Aura Level = 7 + Golem slvl, capped at slvl 30 on a slvl 23 Sparky)
    * Fire Absorb (useless- since the resist is over 100%, absorb only comes into play against Conviction-enchanted bosses)
    * REDUCES Fire Resists (I know, this sounds totally bizarre, but raising your FG level will *REDUCE* his fire resists, from 164% at slvl 1 down to 100% at slvl 60- of course, this is all pointless because it only matters against Conviction-Enchanted bosses, and even then the Absorb will still kick in and protect him against Fire).
    * Damage synergy for other golems (+6% damage per level- totally useless)
    * Mana Cost (50 mana for slvl 1, +10 mana per point after that)

Ah, Sparky. No other Necromancer skill in the entire game makes me question what Blizzard was thinking more than you do. I mean, you have absorb that will never come into play, since you're fire immune... and for some reason additional points will REDUCE your fire resistances? Excuse me?

Anyway, Sparky, if maxed, can deal noticeable damage- and by that, I mean you'll be able to occasionally notice a difference in the enemy's life bar, maybe. A slvl 23 Fire Golem will deal about 500 damage per second. A slvl 60 Fire Golem (best achievable) will deal about 1,000 fire damage per second. If it's damage you want, you're better off firing of an unsynergized Bone Spirit than cranking Sparky through the roof. He's just not worth it.

In fact, I'd highly recommend *AGAINST* boosting Sparky. Additional points will marginally boost his damage (which will always be reasonably low), but they will DRASTICALLY boost his mana cost (slvl 20 Sparky = 240 mana per cast blink.gif ), which essentially makes him impossible to recast if you want to reposition him (or if he dies). The damage synergy is useless, the fire absorb is useless, and the reduced fire resists are useless. When Sparky dies, he deals some splash damage to everyone around him, but it's pathetic damage and boosting Sparky won't increase it. The big reason not to boost Sparky, though, is his built-in Holy Fire aura. It acts just like the Paladin version. At slvl 1, Sparky has a slvl 8 Holy Fire, which has an 8.6 yard radius. When it pulses, it'll hit nearby monsters and make them get angry and target Sparky (which is good because it keeps them from attacking you, your merc, or your more valuable minions). However... at slvl 23, Sparky gets a slvl 30 Holy Fire aura, which has a 23.3 yard radius. That'll wake up a TON of monsters from offscreen, and make your life much more of an adventure as all sorts of random baddies pour in from all around you. Not my idea of a good time.

Best use: 1-point wonder for all Necro Builds. Try to summon him WITHOUT much in the way of +skills, too. Since you're summoning without much +skills, consider getting a +3 Golem Mastery wand, or putting some hard points into Golem Mastery, so Sparky can achieve some decent life totals (with slvl 10 GM, Sparky has 3,000 life in Hell, which is enough for my purposes since, at just 50 mana, he's still recastable). Sparky could deal damage if you focused on him, but not enough to make him worthwhile, so I really recommend using him on all builds as a great protector. He's great at drawing the heat (pun most definitely intended) off of your Mercs (who are expensive to resurrect), Skeletons and Mages (who need bodies to summon), any Oak/HoW you're adventuring with (who are very important), and most importantly... he keeps the heat off of your Necro and your partymates. Monsters love braining Sparky to death and ignoring everything else around them. He's especially good in builds with very few summons, because while 18 skeletons will keep enemies far away from you pretty well, a single golem will rarely do the trick. As a result, he's my favorite general-adventuring golem for Meleemancers, Bonemancers, and Poisonmancers.

Hopefully that more or less covers what you were looking for.

7. Pooshy

Pooshy IncGamers Member

hehehe wwelll.. what about PvM hehe. I hear a lot about clay being the one hit wonder but I'm getting tired of that.

Like if it's really that good, I wouldn't find it to hard to just make a Stone armor and using it's charges or something like that.

edit

SSoG
    I heart you.

8. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

SSoG, ive never heard you to be one to throw away new ideas like auramancers so quickly :grin: . Using a dualdream auramancer style character would be quite effective. I can think of the following gear for a auramancer...

Gimmerdhred - Your using lower resist + infinity, so why not boost your damage further with more elemental damage...
    Enigma- Teleport and the +2 all skills will help you stack your mages when necessary, though CoH might be a better, if a bit slower alternative.
    Dream Shield
    Dream Helm
    Angelic AR combo, you will be in need of AR
    Necro Torch
    AR and Life charms to boost your naturally low AR and life.
    A few curse gcs (lifers are ideal) to help out your lower resist.

With the -85% from an infinity merc and 65%+ from lower resist, you will be able to lower your enemies resistances to -100 most of the time, effectively doubling your damage. So that 1-1600 lightning damage is turned into 1-3200 damage. Add on about 1800 from gimmershred, and you get so hefty damage. Over 1800-5000 elemental damage alone after resists without elemental damage scs, and thats with a throwing weapon, so you wont need to worry about getting up close and personal with all of the baddies. your skill setup could follow like this..

20 Skeleton Mastery
    20 Raise Skeletal Mage
    20 Golem Mastery
    3 Prequisite Golems
    1 Fire Golem (ill trust your advice on this)
    1 Revive
    7 Curses (preqs till you get lower resist)
    1 Bone Armor
    20 Bone Wall (only for the synergy to BA)
    The remaining points could either go to boost LR or to get CE.
    You would summon your mages on a sumon switch and turn back to your dual dream + gimmershred setup after summoning. If you throw in 2 summon gcs and 5+skills from other gear on your dream swithc, you could mainttain 11 mages at once, alright with 6 revives tanking, WHILE still dealing over 3400 average damage.

Seems to me you could get everything with this build, high, ranged damage, solid minions to tank for you, a sturdy golem that will help negate your monster attract holy shock with his holy fire, and a decent bone armor to protect you from the small % of baddies that get well, too close.

SSoG, if you do find glaring holes in this build (most likely :wink3: ) then please do post back, i think im going to make one now to figure out just how effective they can be, and I dont want to needlessly waste hrs.:thumbsup:

9. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Clay is so good because it gets so much life when you combine it with Golem Mastery. CG charges on Stone are good, but not as good as native Necro Gumbies. A slvl 16 CG will have 1718 life in Hell, while a 1/1 Clay/Mastery Gumby with +6 skills will have 2046 (and better resists, including cold immunity, thanks to the slvl 7 Summon Resist).

Stone charge Gumbies are decent, but Necro Gumbies are much sturdier.

Also, I heart you too, Poosh. :grin:

I'm not throwing the idea away, I'm just saying I don't like it. It costs a ton of HRs and just doesn't give quality enough return on investment- and you know how biased I am against high runes. I just feel like there would be better and cheaper ways to make the build.

Besides, if you're throwing those Gimmers, you'd want some distance between you and the baddies, but wearing Holy Aura gear tends to make you a lightning rod for monsters. Since you're constantly damaging them with your ping, they keep getting upset and coming after you. And since the ping has such a high radius, you'll be waking up a lot of enemies you aren't ready to wake up yet. That's why I can never bring myself to play a Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock Ranger- I just feel like the holy aura ping works AGAINST your desire to use a ranged attack.

Not saying that it's not viable, just saying that I don't really like the build.

10. bogie

bogie IncGamers Member

I know what you mean with the auras.... Ive been thinking to use a fire golem, some minions, and a holyfreeze + holy shock merc to make up for it by taking some of the attention away from me :smiley: .