Things we do for love...

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Things we do for love...

I'm not in a very good mood, for reasons understandable through the following article. Well, maybe. But either way, I found this one a good read, a far cry from the stories of mangled babies and presidential candidates we've been reading lately.

So, in the spirit of Valentine's Day, this is an article on the things we do for our loved ones. Something I had to deal with last night, which annoyed me quite a bit, to put it lightly. Enjoy.

Susan Semenak from The Montreal Gazette said:
Living in harmony
To give you a taste of romance in Montreal, we share stories of the things we do for love

There are things we do because we want to, and things we do because we have to.

Then there are the things we do for love.

Remember that sappy song by 10CC? "Like walking in the rain and the snow when there's nowhere to go. ..."

Like not covering your ears while Frank Zappa is blasting from the speakers. Bringing her coffee in bed every morning. Going to dinner at the in-laws' when the playoffs are on. Taking ballroom dancing lessons when reggae is your beat. Getting supper ready after a really crummy day. Driving her to the airport when she could just as easily call a taxi. Picking up his socks.

Or sitting through The Return of the King, even though you didn't see the first two Lord of the Rings movies, so you don't have to go to see Calendar Girls alone.

Compromise, we call it - or sacrifice, depending on how generous we're feeling. It's the give-and-take of which relationships are made, the everyday bartering we do with husbands, wives and lovers for the sake of peace, harmony and affection.

Take Ossama Guindi, a "plain blue kind of guy" married to Amalia Guindi, a woman with a well-honed fashion sense.

"My style is simple. I like one colour: blue. But she likes stripes and she likes buying funky stuff for me. So that's what I wear - stripes," confessed Guindi who, after 30 years of marriage, still kisses his wife every morning when he wakes and every night before he sleeps.

Carolyn Bogusz gave away her dog for love. Blackie, she says, gave her unconditional love and a warm and enthusiastic welcome every day for 111/2 years before Bogusz moved in with Dan Soucy, who is allergic to dogs.

Was it worth it? Bogusz and Soucy are getting married on a beach in Jamaica on April 10.

Carmela DiBenedetto's idea of a dream vacation? Greece, Italy, France - museums, boutiques, intimate restaurants.

But her most memorable vacations with her husband, Mark Patterson? Backpacking through Newfoundland and Scotland, wading through streams and ravines while toting 40-pound packs.

"She definitely did that for me," Patterson said.

"She likes reading and shopping and interior design. But she knows I'm an outdoorsman.

"It's about letting things go. Meeting halfway. You do that long enough, and over the years you become one."

Chanteuse Susie Arioli likes action movies and cowboy flicks. Jordan Officer likes small arthouse films, preferably with subtitles.

Arioli admits to a little fidgeting, but still she sits through films like Russian Ark, which Officer rented recently. It's a film that tours Russian history and consciousness in one long, unbroken shot in a museum.

"Oooch, he likes those slow-moving movies that go on for such a long time. I keep thinking of all the laundry I could be doing, and how I wish the story would move along," Arioli said.

"But I sit with him. It's together time," she said.

Pierre Ricard, like many guys, despises shopping.

But his wife, Julie Gadbois, has been home on maternity leave with their six-month old daughter Rosalie.

What else is there to do with a newborn infant in minus 40C weather but wander the malls?

"Before the baby, he would never come along. But he knows I'm cooped up," Gadbois said.

"I tell him, 'Just one stop.' But then we're looking at baby clothes and something for the house. ...

"There's Les Ailes de la Mode to check out, sales on at Zara ... and he won't say a thing."

Anakha1

Banned
I never do anything for love. But that's because I've never been in it. From what I heard, it doesn't sound all that desirable to be in, either.

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
I never do anything for love. But that's because I've never been in it. From what I heard, it doesn't sound all that desirable to be in, either.
Love is a weird thing. I moved across two states with almost nothing for love. And right now, I'm alone because of it.

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
I'm too busy having fun and enjoying myself to bother being in love.
I just cried my guts out for my girlfriend right now. The feeling of mutual love is simply amazing, Anakha. Enjoy the single life free of love while you can, but trust me... when you find the one for you (and she's gonna kick *** judging by your personality and such), you're going to just sit back and be taken on THE greatest ride of your life.

Anakha1

Banned
I've spent most of my adult life running screaming from the potential for love. It may happen one day, but I can't see it happening any time soon. Love is perhaps the most profound form of slavery ever known to man and I just don't think I'm ready for that. :xtongue:

She'd have to be a kickass girl to be able to nail my feet to the floor long enough to get me to fall in love with her. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to be tricked into getting married before it'll ever happen. Or pinned against the wall and threatened with serious bodily harm. ;)

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
I've spent most of my adult life running screaming from the potential for love. It may happen one day, but I can't see it happening any time soon. Love is perhaps the most profound form of slavery ever known to man and I just don't think I'm ready for that. :xtongue:

She'd have to be a kickass girl to be able to nail my feet to the floor long enough to get me to fall in love with her. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to be tricked into getting married before it'll ever happen. Or pinned against the wall and threatened with serious bodily harm. ;)
Hahahaha, well by the looks of it you're going to need yourself a very... very... very kinky, crafty woman. Anyways, nobody is ever ready for love... it just comes and hits you like a frucking train.

CaptJoe213

Diabloii.Net Member
so true smelly, the train hits you, and at times it hurts, but a lot of the time it is the craziest, funest ride of your life, even if you just riding the cattle guard heh.

I wasn't all big on that love and marriage thing myself, until SHE walked in...and now I'll never regret it...when the one shows up, you'll know it, because your world changes

Nice article. The lady who gave up her dog of 11 1/2 years, I would severly question her loyalty, though. I wouldn't trust her.

NB :)

Anakha1

Banned
I'm going to continue running from love and marriage and the like for as long as I possibly can. It'll be one hell of a woman who manages to rope me and keep me roped.

Of course this probably means that if and when I do fall in love it'll hit me three times as hard as most people. Stupid poetic justice!

Anakha1 said:
I'm going to continue running from love and marriage and the like for as long as I possibly can. It'll be one hell of a woman who manages to rope me and keep me roped.

Of course this probably means that if and when I do fall in love it'll hit me three times as hard as most people. Stupid poetic justice!
:lol: You cant imagine what happens when she first makes eye contact. You puddle of goo, you. :lol:

NB :uhhuh:

Ti-Ben

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I'd do something for love, if I could find it, and if the girl is worth it. Otherwise forget about it.

PublicEnemy

Diabloii.Net Member
Loving someone implies you have to love yourself and your life first,which i am not good at it,and besides i tend to feel more hate for humans than love

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Forgot to post the link to the article. Oops.

I really do love her. She just does things that hurt sometimes, and she doesn't realize it. Which is what kills me. And yesterday night was just more than I could handle. Because I gave to her (not a present, rather time and effort), and she didn't even register it. She just brushed me aside and forgot about me. And which is why I'm in a pissy mood right now.

Dj_Otaku

Diabloii.Net Member
Love is such a great thing to be in. When you both know that you two love each other so much, and you can feel it, well there is nothing better. Yet, love can be the most painful thing in the world to go through too...-_-" It has it ups and downs, just like everything else.

Dj_Otaku

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, I know it does. I've been through them. I just happen to be in a pretty deep low at the present moment. Nothing that should be permanent though. But you know what they say. "Misery loves company."

Smelly

Diabloii.Net Member
SomeCanadianGuy said:
I really do love her. She just does things that hurt sometimes, and she doesn't realize it. Which is what kills me. And yesterday night was just more than I could handle. Because I gave to her (not a present, rather time and effort), and she didn't even register it. She just brushed me aside and forgot about me. And which is why I'm in a pissy mood right now.
I can't speak from direct experience about your current situation, but I can talk about love in general, at least from my perspective, to help you get over your pissyness. You see, time and effort, as you put it, is somewhat like a common ground in a love relationship that you both share. The same way you're looking at it now, how do you know that you've never unconsciously done the same thing to her?

My girlfriend, who I love, who I would do anything for, hurts me sometimes. She doesn't mean to, but it happens from time to time. You can give someone all of your hear, SCG, but you can't expect for them to give you the same in return. Maybe she DID acknowledge the time and effort, just not in the way you expected?

Guys have been known to take their "time and effort" to the extremes at times. That could be another case... what meant a lot to you, didn't seem like much to her because she didn't know the scale of how much you put into it. That's happened to me before, too. But in the end, as long as she's happy, I'm happy. Maybe I'm just weird.