Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Things That Kill You When You Least Expect It

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Paladuck, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

Things That Kill You When You Least Expect It

I'm normally very careful, but my second high lvl character died today (at 80...lost all my runes...sigh).

Both times I've died while rushing a friend. The first my 74 pally died because I didn't know about Iron Maiden in the Chaos Sanctuary, and my 80 sorc died today in nightmare because one of the council members blew up in my face.

Any other dangerous areas that characters should look out for when rushing their lower-level friends?

Paladuck

2. det

det IncGamers Member

We were rushing a friend (lv 48 or so) with Baalruns in NM, Lv 86 sorc was there and me, lv 80 kick/DS sin. It was a 4 ppl game, as a barb was just there for BO, not playing. So my assassin who had done countless baalruns on her own and is in act 5 Hell thinks nothing about being in the frontline and kicking away. 2500 HP after BO here.

I got poisoned by Achmael and his goons, but kept my HP's quite high with Health Poitions (didn't have an antidote), when Bartucs group spawns and the lightning sparks fly. Within seconds, he blows up, and my lifebulb empties completely.

Quick fingers with a full rejuv saved me, but I was like "Wooooaaa...". I swear that explosion took 2300 HP or so off me. Without BO I would have been dead. Didn't read his mods, but it was bound to be FE with s.th else, maybe..(can that also transfer to some of his CB :scratch: )

So, NM Minions can be quite challenging, especially from FE LIster I heard many death stories....oh and everything in hell of course. After playing the entire ladder season quite safely (only 1 PK death) and bringing about 10 characters into hell and some to Guardian status, our KTA party was waylaid by 4 bosspacks at Hell Canyon of Magi WP. I have never seen a party go down that fast.

3. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I think rather than areas, you should be looking at the mods on whatever you're killing. Now you know about IM and how to avoid dying to it. When you see multiple mods like LE with cold or fire enchanted, be extra careful. The cold or fire gets emitted with the lightning - it can do a lot of damage.

Do you know what conviction is? Learn the auras and curses, so that you can always react appropriately to them.

Remember than fire enchanted in NM still take a LOT of hitpoints when they die. Never assume that you can tank a FE boss's death in NM, especially in a big game.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck

4. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I would have to say nightmare ancients if they are cursed. I was helping some level 40-50 characters with my level 83 sorc way back. She had 1100 life with 600 mana (around 50% ES). I got a curse on my head from one of the ancients (nightmare not hell), and didn't notice quick enough that korlic was leaping at me to sidestep away. Well he landed and one hit wrecked my sorc right then and there which must have translated into close to 2k damage in nightmare (no extra strong mod on him just curse). Suffice to say the other people were shocked and left the game quickly out of fear while i was left sitting there beating my keyboard with my fists. I am not surprised at this damage because i have heard stories of amped hell korlic one hit killing 6k HP druids in one leap.

5. fgh24

fgh24 IncGamers Member

u dont ever run into him while rushing but pindle and his minions pack 1 hell of a punch now with all the charging especially since i lag so bad on stairs. ouch

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

The only thing that has ever killed me has been:

a) the 10th beer
    b) the 7th glass of wine
    c) the 6th Gin & Tonic
    d) not going to town whilst I was getting a), b), c)

My theory is that I'm good at this game, but my refusal to play sober always gets in the way of the proof.

Drink responsibly.

7. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

My lvl76 skellienecro got killed yesterday. I had a hangover, my head was all mushy, but I couldn't sleep. So I started up D2 and thought to myself "This is gonna get you killed". And when I entered a doorway in the barracks, a group of afflicted instakilled me. I guess they had hit me with several lightningballs at the same time.