Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Things in Torchlight you would like to see in D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by theeliminator, Oct 29, 2009.

1. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Things in Torchlight you would like to see in D3

There are a few things in Torchlight I would like to see in D3. I like the way they handle Transmuting and Enchanting items. Two things I think would work well in D3. What do you think would work well in D3?

2. Turnip

Turnip IncGamers Member

Re: Things in Torchlight you would like to see in D3

I hope they make d3 a hell of a lot faster paced, and give the spells a lot larger aoe. Its relatively boring.

Edit) really really boring, forgot how bad the "skills" are.

3. TheMiddleRoad

TheMiddleRoad IncGamers Member

Eh, its not that bad. I'd like D3 to be faster paced.

Also I hate, hate hate breaking barrels. Why do games keep incorporating these into the environment? Its like the urns in d2 all over again

4. CCCenturion

CCCenturion IncGamers Member

I love the idea of having a pet take care of your errands in town for you.

Also, the shared stash idea is a godsend for anyone who doesn't just keep the gear they're wearing on their main toon.

5. slingblade

slingblade Banned

Sending a pet to town to vendor your junk is the best thing since sliced bread!

Have you even played it past level 5?

6. CCCenturion

CCCenturion IncGamers Member

It doesn't even need to be a pet; it would be more realistic to have your merc go take care of it for you. (And more useful than having your merc actually fight, most of the time.)

7. blikst

blikst IncGamers Member

Uhm, that's just a lie. Go play it again and actually try out a few skills this time...

8. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I've only played the game to level 6 so far but it's the perfect game to scratch that itch. One of the things I quite like at the moment is the hotkeys, in that assigning something like haste to hotkey 4 allows me to cast it with the click of a button, as opposed to D2's method whereby the hotkey just selects the skill for right-click.

I also like the fast paced nature of the game. The movement is fluid, the action pretty much instant, the town relatively small and easy to navigate to find the required people, etc.

I'm also looking forward to the editor, something which D2 didn't really have and D3 is looking like it won't have either. It's going to add alot of extra life to the game.

9. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

Why should Blizzard need to copy anything from Torchlight ? Oh I forgot, they didn't make Diablo or Diablo 2 so they need help hence why it is taking them a lifetime to make Diablo 3. I think, well I'm sure Blizzard can use their own ideas right ?

10. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

It's not about copying in a derogatory sense. As games evolve they start to introduce more useful features that make you go "wow, why didn't anyone think of that before?".

I'm sure Diablo 3 is going to introduce alot of new things on it's own accord, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they can't take a page or two out of a book from another game, especially if what they see works very well and is highly used by the players.

Would you prefer the opposite where once a feature is included in the game it doesn't get included in other games because otherwise it'll be copying them? Like, since Torchlight has extensive functions for pets (aggressive, passive, etc stances, carrying items, running errands) that Blizzard cannot include this stuff into D3 even though it makes life a hell of a lot easier for the player?

It's really just a discussion on what aspects of Torchlight appear interesting and useful, that could also serve a purpose in D3. If Blizzard already thought of it, or even improved on it in their own way then all the better.

11. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

D3 is full of ideas from other games, and there's nothing wrong with that. Game developers are always looking at what's worked somewhere else.

Torchlight has completely solved the money sink problem. With Transmuting you can turn your excess vendor trash into gems... but that means you're not selling it... which removes a big source of income. And meantime, you can pay to get random enchantments on an item, with the cost getting higher for more powerful items... AND there's a gambling NPC a la D2. It's the only RPG I've ever found myself chronically broke in (which sucks when suddenly the vendor has that rare spell you've been needing).

12. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

I just really hope they bring something new to the table for Diablo 3. I understand what you are saying but so far Blizzard hasn't shown us anything innovative for Diablo 3. It just seems they are just remodeling Diablo 2 which isn't totally a bad thing but you would think with all the money that have they can hire some people who just don't do what has been done before.

I been a big fan of Diablo and the Starcraft series for a long time but other than the fact I haven't played those games in ages there really hasn't much to get really excited about Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 for that matter. Not much innovation going on at all.

13. vladgd

vladgd IncGamers Member

i would like to see hirelings that always stay your level. im pretty sure im not the only person who hates merc leveling.

14. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

While it's true that I don't think any of us want a D2 clone for D3, I think we've barely scratched the surface for D3 to be honest :scratchchin: I suspect there's alot of things that Blizzard are keeping below the waters that we aren't even aware of, and probably won't know until we're actually sitting down and playing the released game.

15. theeliminator

I don't know about you but life not being about how many health pots you have, Runes that alter how spells work and each class not using mana (save for the WD) is a 3 big innovations to the Diablo series. I am sure these are just the tip of the iceberg. We have no idea what PvP is going to be about. In the end though its going to be a Diablo game not something totally different.

16. Srikandi

All games, including D3, are a mix of new and old. It's inevitable. These things are new to the Diablo series, yes. But they're only partly new.

Collectible "orbs" or whatever left on the field after battle is a long-time staple of certain kinds of games, though it's not been seen much among RPGs (Borderland's instahealth vials work more or less the same way, for instance; you can't put em in your pack. And Fable's experience globes are really the same mechanic applied to XP rather than health).

As for spell modifications, I've seen that before too, though not via a dropped item. For instance, Sacred 2 and the Witcher both let you modify spells, though in both of those games you gain the mods through spending points when you level, and there's no attempt to make a common set of mods that works across every skill in the game.

As for different energy sources with different mechanics for different classes, I think WoW might actually have originated that idea, though they didn't take it to the logical conclusion of having a different mechanic for every single class.

So, yeah, D3 is like a wedding outfit: something old, something new, something borrowed, and... wait... does it have anything blue? ;)

17. theeliminator

That’s why I said new to the Diablo series, and not new to gaming. One thing everyone has to come to grips with is Bliz is not some great innovator. They are just masters of refinement. Meaning they take an idea that’s already around and polish it up so nice and shiny. Not many would argue that each game they have came out with wasn't the best of its genre for its time.

18. TiberiusAudley

TiberiusAudley IncGamers Member

Well, the Enchanter was a feature they had in both Hellgate: London and Mythos... but I agree that it is an excellent moneysink.

It's a bit imbalanced in Torchlight right now. I expect that'll be fixed in patches/mods, but it's a really cost-efficient method of improving your character.

But the main features I'd like to see in D3 that are in Torchlight: Good Money Sinks, Shared Stash, TSPs (vendors in the middle of a dungeon), and the ability to get rid of useless loot while I'm out adventuring.

19. theeliminator

This would really be nice to have in D3. I don't think they will have the same system of sending off a pet/henchmen to sell items. (I could be wrong on that though) I can see them giving you some kind of artifact that turns any unwanted items into gold. Just click on the artifact and your cursor becomes a wand, hover the wand over an unwanted item and click to make it turn to gold.

20. Srikandi

Yeah, both Dungeon Siege and Sacred 2 had a feature like that. In DS it's a spell that turns stuff on the ground into gold; in Sacred, it's a button on the interface that you can drop items on. In both cases you get somewhat less than if you went to a vendor, which means it's worth hanging on to the most valuable items.

I agree that however it's implemented, any feature that makes going to town for inventory-management-only reasons unnecessary is highly desirable. I don't mind traveling back to turn in quests and the like, since I can take advantage of vendors then.