Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Things I noticed about Americans outside of US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, May 20, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Things I noticed about Americans outside of US

Just got back from a 3 week trip south of US. A few things I noticed about my fellow Americans outside of our perfect country--

So I was just sipping my beer at an outdoor bar and across the street a bus load of middle aged tourists pulls up the street. They're being herded around one of those agonizing timeshare sales pitch.

The guy sitting next to me mumbled "here comes the Americans". I turned and asked how'd he know. "Simple--just look at the size. Americans are bigger than those Europes". And unfortunately he's right. IMO and just by my informal a few day's study of people who shows up to listen to the timeshares, the biggest ones are Americans. These are seriously fat people that would crush a small person if they have sex. Sadly, I admit we're a country full of lard balls.

On a side note, one of the Americans came across the street to our bar and barked "hey you got any beer?" The bartender just pretended not to understand English. ;) I heard they do that a lot in France.

2. Njx

Njx IncGamers Member

Good way to raise country relatiosn...ignore the fat americans when they come to our country! YAh!111 ONE

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

That doesn't even scratch the surface. When I lived in Argentina it was a running competition to pick out American tourists among my friends and I (most of us American ourselves)--they could be spotted at several hundred yards, not only by size, but by the obnoxious dress (there's an American tourist uniform--khaki shorts, tucked in tshirt, ballcap that's never been worn before, knee-high white socks, brand new, shiny walking shoes that were clearly bought just for the trip, and a fanny pack/backpack with everything you could ever need for a trip to the jungle...for a city trip), and the incredibly loud volume at which American tourists insist on talking.

It's no wonder they get robbed and swindled left, right, and center. They're about as subtle as a drunk guy at a sorority party.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

To your France comment, when I was in France, I never experienced any anti-American rudeness. I had a snooty waiter at a restaurant, but he seemed to be rather snooty to everyone, and I believe that's just the style of the country. When in a little gift shop in Montmartre, I was waiting to pay the store owner for a bag/purse for my mom. An Asian couple was practically throwing Euros at the store owner and she seemed to be quite upset with them, because they weren't respectful. On the other hand, I felt I was very respectful saying "thank you" in my best French, being patient and giving her a nice smile. And she was very nice back. I suppose it's all in how you act.

5. Akira

Akira Member

Hey now, I thought you said that would be water under the bridge by this point.

6. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Do you lnow why they are kind ?
    They usually are because you BUY,you help them to make money,that's simple.I have noticed that for every place that I visited.People are almost always willing to make money, and the kindier they are,the more money they can make (because a satisfied customer is likely to come back/buy more).
    ON the other hand, when you ASK for something,people can be awful,and show their true colors.
    No need to be naive,I am not.

7. piff

piff IncGamers Member

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Springfield is determined the nation's fattest city. But yeah, we're pretty easy to spot.

8. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Didn't he just say that as opposed to the other couple who was in there being rude and throwing money at her, who she was not nice to, she was nice to AJ because he was polite?

9. txmielnik

txmielnik IncGamers Member

Maybe in 20 years Americans will not be noticed so fast because i've seen alot of McDonald's and KFC popping up in europe. But that will only happen if people also start driving because a mile walk to the local store is too far, i have a friend that drives 1 mile because it's too far to walk. But i think the thing that differentiates most americans from the locals is their baseball caps, do you really have to wear them everyday..and even inside. I wear my cap, when the sun is out or if my hair is a mess, but i don't wear it inside, it's not really a fashion statement, and doesn't it increase baldness?

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

There are a lot of other ways to spot one besides their weight. I saw an American swearing at a french guy because he couldn't speak english and demanding to know why the entire nation didn't cater to his Americanness.

11. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

English is the language that is the most used around the world.Not speaking english can be a handicap for someone who travels abroad,and it should be the first foreign language to be taught in school.

12. txmielnik

It usually is the second language though in school, but how many people in US actually speak spanish? Ever go to Miami and find yourself a bit lost? And not knowing chinese could be viewed as a handicap, 1 billion people is alot, not counting all the chinese people not in china.

13. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world. French and English are the only languages to be an offical language on every continent.

In my area of the US, Spanish is the fourth or fifth language behind English, German, Italian, and maybe Polish. Spanish isn't needed everywhere in the US, I don't want that false idea out there.

14. txmielnik

Alright, my point was that the majority of people don't really bother learning the second language though in school, ask how many people in Canada speak French, that don't live in Quebec, or northern Ontario.

15. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Ok, I understand now.

16. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2002208999_obese16.html
    http://weightlossadviser.com/europe-obesity.htm
    "The International Obesity Task Force estimated that Finland, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Malta have all now exceeded the United States' 67 per cent in overweight or obese males."

Other places like Kuwait, Tonga, Kosrae and Nauru could also be included. China is predicted to be the future huge heavy-weight.

This was discussed a few months ago in another thread...

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Dude I speak English and it handicaps me because I don't speak french but its still my choice. It's not a foriegn language here. This is a bilingual country and no one is required to know both. It irked me because the guy expected that because he's American everyone needs to cater to his needs No one needs to speak a language just to cater to tourists.

18. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Yeah, because they do not need to. But pretty soon Spanish might become a 2nd language.

19. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

What about people who make their living by catering to tourists?

20. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

This other couple was spending much more money than I was. So the shop owner was probably making more money off them.

About asking for something: I was traveling with my ex-girlfriend at the time. And we were having trouble figuring out which bus to take from the Paris airport to our hotel. We asked the guy at the information desk in the airport and he wasn't too much help, but someone outside was. Turns out he was getting on our bus and was kind enough to help us identify our stop, and point us in the right direction for after we got off the bus.