Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

these forums need a sage function

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Atticus, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Atticus

Atticus IncGamers Member

these forums need a sage function

quoting from wikipedia:

# Sage (pronounced "sah-geh") - from Japanese sageru (??? "to lower"), refers to replying to an undesirable post using the word "sage" in order to increase the number of replies without age-ing the post. This allows offensive threads to be deleted faster, or to add comments without bumping the thread to the top.

Since bumping is illegal in the trade channels, and sometimes you just want to comment without actually bumping someone else's thread, i think we should have the option to sage our posts. adding sage into the title when you add a post should work, i don't think this would be too terribly hard to implement. i've had so many times that i've wanted to say something but thought "Ehh..i really don't want to bump this.." and ended up just not saying anything. anyone else agree/disagree and think something should be done?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Cool idea, I would use it.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I'm failing to understand how this would be useful

4. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

5. Atticus

Atticus IncGamers Member

Umm...what i said wasn't clear enough? You'd be able to add a post without bumping. you've never wanted to say something but didn't feel that the thread deserved to be bumped to the top?

and sorry if this was the wrong forum..i guess i can post a link there too.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

7. Ash Housewares

keep in mind who this is coming from, but... if you don't want a post to be bumped than you could exercise restraint in posting and not post, I don't see what the big benefit is

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Forum games won't be on the front page for a month+, you could say that a thread has been reported without moving it to the top(hopefully it would fall off page one if Freet didn't get to it soon enough) or you could post your little side tangents we always seem to have without bumping a thread that has really worn out.

9. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

The point is, would people really take the time to consider if his/her post should be a "reply" or a "sage" and take the time to execute it?

10. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

but isn't the whole idea of posting a reply someone to read it?
    if you reply and the thread isn't bumped than it is possible that no one will read your reply.

11. Ash Housewares

I am aware of how it would work, but none of that seems worthwhile from where I'm standing

12. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Bleh! Monday morning, what else can I say... :lol:

KnightFall

13. Atticus

Atticus IncGamers Member

Ok, how about thinking of it this way. what if it took 10 minutes for the admins and ops to program in, and they implemented it the next time they did server maintenance. nothing says you HAVE to use it, but wouldnt it be a nice OPTION?

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I think all the forum coding is on license, and purchased as a package. This would probably be really hard to implement. And I really see no use for it either. What's the point in replying to a thread if it's not going to get bumped? No one will read the post. And about alerting a thread, you don't need to say in the thread that you've alerted a mod.

Besides, it would be confusing becuase some people would use the feature, and some wouldn't, and when a thread did get bumped, someone might wonder why it has 5 extra replies they never saw.

15. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

well i can see a use for it in the trade forums....anyone there i am sure is sick of seeing their own trades quickly bumped off the first page by a guy posting items from the do not trade list....it does take some time for a mod to show up sometimes and close the thread.....if people felt the need to make a comment in threads such as this after the person has been informed that his trade is not kosher and that the post is reported at least they can do so without bumping the damn thing right back to the top.....it could also be used in the trade forum to comment on a persons items or value without artificially bumping it.

16. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Its a great idea conceptually. But aside from the trade channels it has absolutely no use here.

17. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Ah, I didn't really think about the trade forums. But I could see problems with people finding some random old thread that will never be looked at it, and spamming the crap out of it to bump up their post count.

Or someone being a total jerk and putting all kinds of nasty comments on old threads. I think for the rest of the forums it's best if everyone sees what people post. It helps everyone keep each other accountable.

18. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

i don't think there are many people who would risk post count spammage(i am sure that it could be coded so that a sage comment doesn't count towards post count) or the nasty comments either....when found out they wouldn't be around too long....of course it is always best to see what is posted but in the trade forums there are some posts that are not welcome

well all of this is a moot point anyways as i am sure that AJ is correct in pointing out that the forum coding is licensed and modifications would be difficult and costly

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I caught that at around 4 am here, no excuses. Although this does show no one actually reads the description next to the forum title.