Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Theory-craft an immunadin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sifter1238, Sep 20, 2010.

1. sifter1238

sifter1238 IncGamers Member

Theory-craft an immunadin

Howdy all,

I have been kicking this idea around for a while, and I was hoping you all would be able to help me spot any pieces I might be missing. I want to build a (theoretical) paladin that would be highly resistant to most damage forms. With the passive + max resist bonus, paladin seemed the way to go. I know most of the stuff I am proposing requires absurd shopping luck / 1.07 luck, but I still want to know if this could be done.

Equip-

Artisan's Circlet of Life Everlasting - 25 base PDR plus 14 from Sol's (39)
    Rising Sun Amulet - Scaling Fire absorb
    Jeweler's ___ of Amicae - 15 base PDR plus 28 from Sol's (82)
    Blackoak Shield with Sol - Scaling Cold absorb, 7 PDR (89)
    Thundergod's - Max Light plus Light absorb
    2 x Nature's Peace - 20 PDR total (109)
    Safety craft glove - 4 PDR + some resists? (113)
    Safety craft boots - Ditto (117)
    Weapon - something one handed plus vengeance capable

Lots of resist small charms.

Skills-

Vengeance - 20 pts
    Resist Lighting - 20 pts (to get up to 95 with T-god's
    Resist Cold - 20 pts (to help Blackoak cope)
    Resist Fire - 20 pts (Rising Sun)
    Conviction - The rest?

I can't find (the google-fu is weak with me) reliable numbers for elemental monster damage, so if you could point those out I'd greatly appreciate it. Rising Sun plus 85 fire resist should keep you safe from around 400 fire damage, even at full life. Same for Blackoak, although it does have lower scaling absorb so more like 350 cold damage. T-gods & 95 resists negates up to 400 lighting damage. The PDR would cover most of a Venom Lord hit, but not quite immune.

Obviously, this wouldn't be the fastest killer. But, is it possible? Did I miss any handy equipment fillers that would make things (mostly PDR) work better? Is Hell elemental damage high enough to make this not worthwhile? In general, what do you think? Any pointers, tips, suggestions, lol-noobs, would be appreciated.

(tl-dr: make a Barb, nub)

Edit -
    Good point about the magic damage. Who uses magic damage, aside from viper spears and the bone spirits from Oblivion Knights? I can't see anyway of negating those, since I can't work MDR into this rig.

Second edit-
    Also, since there is no poison absorb, I assumed antidote potions would be used as necessary. A bit of a cop out, but the most efficient solution as I see it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. VeeSe

VeeSe IncGamers Member

Re: Theory-craft an immunadin

you forgot about magic damage

3. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I thought MDR was effective against elemental damage from spells as well. I could easily be wrong about that, though.

4. Islandstone

Islandstone IncGamers Member

Yeah, I belive it is, but MDR is more difficult to amass big amounts of than PDR, so resistance + absorb, and some regen/prayer/lifeleech for any magic damage is your best bet.

5. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

AFAIK you're not wrong, JJ.
    edit:
    pwnd <_<
    edit2:
    Hwanin's Crown + Gladiator's Bane + Gerke's Sanctuary + 3 Sol's = 47-57 PDR, 39-46 MDR.
    edit 3:
    The only character that takes full advantage of PDR and MDR is an ES-sorc as both PDR and MDR are calculated after ES-absorb. Wind druid is also good as he has built-in MDR (Cyclone armour).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  6. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

I've made an Abbot with around 80 or 90 PDR and it was very safe in Hell. I suppose that if one is quite safe from Gloams with good resists and T-God's, you'd be safe from everything else, too. I've always thought that Gloams are the worst kind of elemental. A couple things I would take into consideration:
    -CBF mod on your equipment. Although a crazy idea popped into my head: what if you absorb all the cold damage and you don't need any? :D
    -There are three pairs of boots that provide maximum fire resistance along with other more or less useful mods. Waterwalk (+5%) are my favourite pair but Hotspur (+15%) are just absurd if you don't mind the lack of FRW. Infernostride (+10%) is the third pair but I think everyone figured that out already. I ditched the Safety boots with my Abbot because I felt I was giving up too much for so little PDR.
    -Ditto with the gloves. Not saying you can't get nice gloves/boots with PDR on them, I just didn't go for them.

I hope you find that armor :thumbup:

edit: MDR reduces damage before resists, absorb comes after resists IIRC. MDR doesn't cut damage that effectively.

7. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

I took a pally(abbott to be specific) to Hell 4 without using a potion. I had around 99 pdr or so and it worked great. And as mentioned above Gerke's sanctuary is the best shield as it has nice chance of blocking and Gladiator's bane/ Arkaine's valor for the armour slot would be nice.

Also for the helm, I had a prismatic circlet of life everlasting and luckily Larzuk punched 2 holes in it. So that would be better than artisan's of LE. Also amulet is usually the place where I find pdr. I used a prismatic of LE on my pally which adds around 25 pdr. And imo fire absorb isn't that necessary. If u are very particular about fire absorb, prolly a 1.07 LOH could be an option, (where u lose only 4 pdr over a whooping 25 from ammy).

One more mention, if u want to balance killing speed and pdr, use fortitude, 7 pdr, 30 all resis, and awesome damage boost.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

The helm should be an Artisan´s/Jeweler´s Tiara/Diadem of Life Everlasting, because that gives you three sockets to work with.

9. sifter1238

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I noticed the safety crafts from 1.07, so the new best armor would be a greater safety craft (8-15 PDR) with amicae (15) and jewelers (4 sols). Is that possible, since crafts can still roll magic-only in 1.07? That, plus jiansonz suggestion, would bump you up to 139 PDR? Yikes.

naranjadita - Does that mean that a buffed ES sorc might be immune to everything except poison, atleast with the rig you mentioned? You can take off 80-90% of damage with high level ES, right?

Tupsi - thanks for the boots suggestions. I have no experience with it, but I calculated that Rising Sun would cover me, even without increasing Max Fire past 85. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Does it maybe not work against the PLoD?

HappeningKT - I thought about LoH, but since absorb% is capped at 40 (right?), that would still let some damage get through. If I'm wrong about the amulet though, that would probably be the best bet.

On the topic of beating monsters, does vengeance work with + X Damage from Grief or The Redeemer? Thanks everyone!

10. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

To answer your last question, there is a very good Avenger guide in the Paladin forum. I'd suggest reading it, but the short answer is no, it doesn't.

11. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I made a near immunadin(avenger based) a few ladders back on bnet. He was really awesome with 50% dr and 95 light and fire resists. sadly he fell to a hell korlic pop, he took over 2k life from me in one shot...I learned my lesson about him the hard way (because I play HC)

And he still did great damage with an oath ax and vengence he was doing around 7-8k before the -resists from a lvl 25 conviction, so its a very viable build still

12. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Correct; don't forget about manaburners however, and the fact that mana needs to be restored, too (god bless Warmth and Insight, amen!)
    Example: with 40 PDR/MDR and lvl 40 ES (95%) all damage below 800 won't even touch your lifeorb. More than enough for PvM.
    Also see a stickied thread about ES in the Sorcs' forum.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  13. Fyourics

Fyourics IncGamers Member

I remember reading about a pdr windy with cyclone armor that according to the pat thread, only took damage from ~5% of the monsters. You could look into that.

The ES sorc with max warmth and insight sounds great too.

Personally, I'm not to keen on avengers, so I'd go with the sorc or the windy.

14. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Here is an abbot guide for you.

15. sifter1238

tavaritz - Thanks, I had tried to track down different versions of the Abbot and Asmodeus' Iron Berserker for pointers. They were definitely the original scheme, but I wanted to see if I could make a build that was basically immune or highly resistant to damage. Healing is certainly useful, but why heal (or spend points in Vit) if I take no damage at all? Of course, kestegs reminded me of FE bosses, which I always forget about. So maybe this would just be another version similar to the one Fyourics mentioned.

16. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I think the 1.07 Gladiator's Bane has a fixed 25PDR/20MDR, and it can have one socket. So if you're looking for an 'easy' armor... ^^