Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The wonderful world of temp-ip ban

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Hemaka, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

The wonderful world of temp-ip ban

sooo...

I'll start this off by telling my story.. I have two computers, and my friend decides he doesn't want to play anymore.. so he gives me his cd key, so i figure, "sweet, i can play d2 with my other friends, and mule stuff too"

wellll....

i install them both, and we're about to play, but then BOTH our bnets crash, and my ip gets "TEMP BANNED" oh noes.. its been about 12 hours now lol

heres the FUN part:
    Who here AGREE's that this powertrip crap reguarding the temp-ban is getting a little out of hand lately?

I've already got bucketloads of argument against the way they do this if you really think its been great LOL :prop:

b/c they've even said themselves.. this is in no way, shape, or form, a restriction against bots...
    .......excuse me? :X

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Reference? I don't recall them saying that.

But yea, one thing you will need to be careful of with two computers on the same network on battle.net, is that both computers shall be treated as one with regards to the amount of games you can join in x amount of seconds, or the amount of character switches in x amount of seconds.

For example, let's assume that hypothetically you are only able to join 5 games in a 2 minute period. If you log onto battle.net as one computer, that computer would only be able to join 5 games in a 2 minute period before getting temp banned. If you log onto battle.net as two computers (which are both using the same Internet connection) then those two computers would only be able to make a total of 5 games between them in 2 mins before getting temp banned. So if one computer makes 5 games in 2 mins, the other computer will get temp banned the next time it tries to make a game.

These numbers are only for arguments sake though, as no-one really knows how many games it takes to warrant a temp ban, or how many character switches it would take. I doubt anyone really knows what all the criteria for a temp ban could be too. It could include the speed with which you make games (so having two computers make/join a game at the exact same time would trigger something), or it could also include the stability of the connection to battle.net (in terms of packet loss).

By the way, what do you mean when you say that both your battle.net's crash? Do you mean that an unhandled exception occured (or access violation)?

3. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

nah, it just did that thing where it said "lost connection to battle.net", followed by the happy "unable to connect" crap.

4. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

Making another post to get more in-depth.. lots of principle in this imo lol

This is for anybody who's ever had to wait anywhere between 5 minutes and 2 weeks for doing nothing unjust.

they need to stop these restrictions.

5. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

you can help prevent from getting temp banned by slowing down your actions when switching chars/accounts and muling on bnet(stay in games for more than 30secs, wait 5secs between char selection/account screens)

if you get temp banned try unplugging your dsl/cable modem for a couple minutes, it might get a new ip

6. Hemaka

Hemaka IncGamers Member

did that for four hours at work to see if it would do anything, and i've attempted multiple resets/adjustments/complaints to blizz

nothing does it haha