Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Witch Doctor's voice and character

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by Naja, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

The Witch Doctor's voice and character

Part of immersing yourself into a good RPG like Diablo is enjoying the depth of the characters themselves.

We understand that the Barbarian is a newly tragic character. His homeland, culture, and essentially his purpose was entirely destroyed by the events that happened in LoD. He is a wandering, purposeless figure, devoted to avenge his people's suffering, but filled with little more than grim determination.

His poise, voice and dialogue all reflect this, from what we've seen. Gruff, impatient and stoic.

From what little we know about the Witch Doctor's background, what do you think we can expect of his character - his dialogue and his voice acting?

Personally, I am not expecting some cracked out, cranky old man. I am expecting a beast of a man, who would instill fear even into the Barbarian! As a member of the Tribe of the Five Hills, the Witch Doctor is the product of relentless tribal warfare...all for the purpose of procuring "raw materials" for grisly ritualistic human sacrifices to sate his gods' appetites. Think the Aztecs, plus voodoo.

Pair this with his strong sense of tribal identity - his non-individuality, the total submersion of his ego to the interest of his clan - and we have a figure who is equally grim and honor-bound as the Barbarian, but more of a utilitarian (motivated by collective interest), while the Barbarian is more honor-based (due to the sense of individuality that he has, but that the Witch Doctor cannot comprehend).

I can expect a sort of brutal pragmatism in how the Witch Doctor presents himself in the game's dialogue (not unlike D2's Necromancer), except more focused on tangible goals (serving his tribe and following the edicts of his gods), rather than abstract ideals (like the Priests of Rathma's focus on maintaining cosmic balance).

All in all, a vicious communitarian with a flexible moral compass. Thoughts?

2. AxlStrife

AxlStrife IncGamers Member

Re: The Witch Doctor's voice and character

I'm thinking (s)he will have a Jamaican accent. I'm hoping for something like Calypso from Pirates.

As far as the presentation of character, I agree with everything you said.

3. poltergeist

poltergeist IncGamers Member

Wow, that was so eloquently written and, in my mind, amazingly accurate.

I'm impressed with the way you've pieced together the Witch Doctor's motivations and deduced a large portion of his personality, even without hearing any dialog.

After reading this I am EVEN more interested in learning about and playing this character. Great post. :yes:

4. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Hehe - I never found D1 and D2 particularly immersing, at least where characters are concerned :p. But yeah - Blizz said they're making D3 a lot more character-driven, so I'm very confident D3 will be a game I'll want to play just to find out what happens next in the story :].

And yeah - I agree with what you said about how the Witch Doctor's personality should be like - I'm expecting someone pretty badass. Doubly creepy because you can't actually see what his/her expression is behind that mask. If he's wearing that mask he's wearing in the WWI vid, he's always going to have that creepy grin on all the time. :p

We've heard the Witch Doctor's voice, just not in any proper dialogue or conversations - he shouts stuff when he's casting spells like hurling a Firebomb or summoning mongrels. It doesn't sound Jamaican to me, but it does sound African.

5. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

Heh. "I am sofa king we todd ed!"

6. Corius

Corius IncGamers Member

That’s an interesting analysis. Even though the previous diablo games didn’t have enough character development, they have always been rich in lore.
    Your appreciation of the Barbarian seems right on target. Regarding the WD, I’m still mourning the loss of necros.

7. blankblank

blankblank IncGamers Member

I bet he will have Jamaican accent..

8. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

The Diablo Barbarians are never purposeless figures. Not sure how you read them this way. To become an accomplished Barbarian is quite a feat and if nothing else, can serve as a purpose in and of itself.

Don't read too much into the setting. Home is where you are.

9. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

Except that the entire culture of Harrogath was based around keeping a sacred vigil around the mountain to protect the World Stone. When Baal corrupted it and Tyrael was forced to destroy it, their entire culture's reason for existing went with it.

D3's Barbarian is like a sadder version of the Ronin. Except, from some of the materials we have read in the Barbarian section on the site, some Barbarians may have already devolved into something less than human.

10. vendrox

vendrox IncGamers Member

Epic OP.

As a dedicated RPPK MUD player I'm strongly interested in character-wise lore and things of that nature :)

11. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

OP that was amazing, you should work for blizzard ;)

These are the sort of things that should go to blizzard, not the whining about colour.