Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The 'why play classic' question

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Petoffen, May 18, 2005.

1. Petoffen

Petoffen IncGamers Member

The 'why play classic' question

Since I don't see a sticky on it, does anyone have a pros/cons list of playing classic? Some reason to do it, a way to have fun over the expansion?

2. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

can be more fun then LOD
    no runes/charms to take up space
    rares are worth using
    never have to see assa or druids
    easy place to lev mules for hellforge/socket quests

if you play NL and have been around for a very long time you may still have old no lev req uniqs. its fun to have a lev 1 char with +6 or more skills

-Tempus-

3. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

I agree with the no druids and assassins! I never liked them!

But my biggest reason for playing classic is my computer just ate my expansion disc so I will have to wait for awhile to get a new one!

4. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

For a lot of people, its a change of pace from LoD. The xpack made D2 way too easy, and although 1.10 didn't bring many benefits to classic, I think classic is a lot more fun than the xpack. I got D2 the week it came out, and some of my most fun experiences playing were during the first few weeks of having it. Playing classic brings back some of those memories for me.

5. Chow Yun Thin

Chow Yun Thin IncGamers Member

I bought Classic because at the time I thought I messed up my younger cousin's friend's copy. It wasn't messed up so I kept the new copy and began playing more. It never occured to me that I should get LoD until my younger cousin got it and I was impressed with the 800x600 resolution.

Maybe it's my naivity, but I don't play LoD as much as Classic because of the horror stories I've heard here about rude, selfish and uncooperative people who play LoD. Not that Classic is free of said people, but there seems to be fewer of them.

The abundance of LoD strategy guides that focus on the use of certain insanely powerful unique items also make me wonder if LoD players can be successful without said items. The relatively meager selection in Classic leads me to believe that one has to make the best use of whatever is at hand and play smartly to compensate. Right now I'm trying to adapt the Compendium's LoD Avenger Guide to Classic and as soon as I remember what my Avenger's stats, skills and equipment are, I'll ask about skill allocation.

I really enjoy playing through the game quest by quest, act by act. It helps keep the game fresh for me (not being able to play it during school time for three months at a time also helps). It's even more fun playing with others who like to cooperate and get through the quests as thoroughly as possible.

6. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

The reason people play classic instead of LoD is because there is a lot less bs on classic.

You're not gonna find flame wars about who's enigma is better or whos hoto is better. Classic is less item orientated and surviving in duels actually requires more skill than just having good items.

7. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

Reasons

Classic is better because of:

- Lower reliance on items to be successful than in LoD: in LoD, either you succumb to duped runes to be as well equipped as others, or you play underpowered. The "best" items in classic are more easily attainable, and if you can't get some (i.e SoJs), it's not a big deal anyway.

- No Druids or Assassins; I never really cared about them.

- I find the end game in Classic (CS runs) far more fun than in LoD (Baal runs).

I use the LoD Expansion, of course, to extend resolution to 800 x 600. :thumbsup: