Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Well Rounded D2 Player

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Joyotoki, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Joyotoki

Joyotoki IncGamers Member

The Well Rounded D2 Player

Although I've techinically been playing the game for quite a while, I'll be the first to admit there's still tons I'm unfamiliar with. Joining this forum and reading up on the site has helped me become more exposed to all aspects of D2, but I'm afraid I'm missing out on something.

My boyfriend bough the game for me, so primiarily I have only ever played alone on b.net in private games or just him and me and maybe one other person. I have started playing Hardcore and I doubt I'll go back to softcore (to me it seems kind of pointless, where's the challenge?) But, I get the feeling there's a lot I'm missing out on.

I'm curious what the experienced D2 player has to say... what aspects of D2 should one experience to become a well rounded D2 player?

2. pliu

pliu Banned

Agree with you about the hardcore. Hardcore is only for real hardcore fun. For me rebuild a char died in hardcore is pointless and waste of time. For me to because a well rounded D2 player I just create my char depend on some guides and learn how to use that char well in the game.

3. Uriah_Heep

Uriah_Heep IncGamers Member

You should try public rushes/baal runs/cow games/duel games.You will get familiar with the vocabulary a typical b.netter uses.If you haven't done it so far you should beat the game single player,untwinked with no help.This may seem stupid but to me it helped a lot.Read the forums,play a lot and that's it.

4. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Try pvp if you haven't done that yet. Don't try in open games where everyone use Enigma, Breath of the dying and all that stuff (and usually act like idiots). Go by some rules and play with friends and you will have a lot of fun as well as get a deeper knowledge of the characters.

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

Never ever say WUG

6. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Make friends but beware, not everyone who seems nice is. Or head on over to the player matchup forum and find others. A multiplayer game with 4 to 7 other people is a different experience from less full games.

If you're in HC become very familiar with PKing methods but don't get to upset with them. After all, why does one play HC :scratch: Because it's DANGEROUS! :surprise:

But as far as the challenge in softcore? There is but you need to stack the odds against your survival. Let me repeat, "stack the odds against your survival!" You get so much action happening on your screen, the challenge is to take it apart before it kills you. Can't really do that in HC, who wants to take that kind of risk? Unless you like making new characters all the time. :lol:

7. Wail of the Banshee

Wail of the Banshee IncGamers Member

Hmm...
    For B-net: Master the usage of all the commands that are availble to you (or the ones that you'll be using the majority of the time).

Squelch those players who are annoying you/verbily assault
    ing you (Do not stoop down to their level), If the situation becomes too much, leave the game.

Trust your intuition and logic in trading items (suspect something wrong with the details of the trade, don't trade with the person).

Do not overhaul on slang, a bit of proper english is good.

If you are going to transfur items on to a mule, do in a private game with a real friend of yours (They will not take anything from you, but if they do, you know where they live...)

Paypal/E-bay = Bad (Especially in my book)

And finally, try to have fun, public B-net is a wasteland, finding people to play with in a friendly manner is hard, but your bound to find quite a few of these people on these fourms.

My few words of advice...

8. Color_Wolf

Color_Wolf IncGamers Member

Heh don't be a well-rounded player; you will need to have no life to try out most aspects of the game... Let's put it this way, there are 7 classes in the game, a "well-rounded" player should have played all 7 classes untwinked through hell to understand the basic skills of each class.

Then, each class has about 10 different sub-classes for different purposes (ie: for druid there are wind druid, fire druid, fc bear, hybrid bear, maul bear, fury wolf, feral wolf, hunter, shaman, geddon wolf...etc.) even trying like half of them will make you a very knowledge player.

Also there are mod makings. Knowing it helps alot in understanding how the game works.

edit: If you truely want challenge, then ditch the newbie D2X and play classic. In 1.10 playing an untwinked hc barb in classic through hell is not going to be easy.