Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The VERY best second attack?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by masakerr, Feb 14, 2004.

1. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

The VERY best second attack?

I can't tell you how happy I am with the Necro. He rocks. My current Necro has maxed Raise Skeleton and Skeleton Mastery. I have one point here and there, but what is the very best second attack?

Bone Spear?
    Poison Nova?

Help me before it's too late :scratch:

Masa

2. Ezuku

Ezuku IncGamers Member

Uh....?

Maxed corpse explosion is pretty much amazing, you can then use some mages. If you want to be a hybrid, I find poison Nova works quite well. You don't have to spend so much points to get as much damage, it affects a HUGE group, you don't need AS much mana.

3. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

My RS and SM is at level 30. I would have about +8 to other skills, so my CE is at about 10 or 11. I've been pumping some into PN but felt I needed some "protection" so I threw some into bone wall for synergy of bone armor. Thanks for the input.

Masa

4. MelFrank

MelFrank IncGamers Member

If it were me I would forget about Poison Nova altogether and put as much into CE as possible.
    Poison Nova without a good synergy boost is next to useless, except possibly to halt regeneration.

Mel

5. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

I would go along with Corpse Explosion because it doesn't need that many skills to be really effective; whereas Poison Nova needs to be maxed and probably needs some synergies, same with Bone Spear.

6. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

MAX CORPSE EXPLOSION (CE)

If you ask why, my answer comes with two versions:

The short version:

JUST TRUST ME :)

The long version:

Everyone agrees that attack should do good damage? Ok. The cool thing about CE is that you don't have to worry about if you're updated with the defficulty level of the game. For example, if you are a bonemancer, you have to think about how much damage you bone spear/spirit does and whether it's enough to kill most monsters that you will face. For CE, that's not a worry. CE always does 60%-100% damage of the monster's original hit points. 50% physical 50% Fire damage. In Normal and Nightmare, two consecutive CE's almost always kill every monster in the radius. In Hell, the case gets more complicated because many monsters got resistance. But, with an appropriate curse (Amp dmg, Dec, or Lower Resist), CE is still VERY VERY effective in Hell.

Another cool thing about CE is that its chain reaction effect. I might want to call a Necro build based on CE as the "Nuclearmancer" build. It is because everything you need is the first corpse. Sometimes the first two. Then CE, get more corpses, CE, more corpses... boom boom boom....:clap: . If you are good, you can actually keep killing monsters even though they are not in your CE radius. The trick is to "propagate" your CE and basicly collect victory.

7. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

He forgot to add that blowing stuff up and making a bloody mess is fun as hell too :lol:

8. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

And you won't have to worry about "wasting" corpses because your skeletons rarely die, and therefore dont need to be ressurected that often.

9. core1000

core1000 IncGamers Member

What killing spell should I use after maxing Corpse Explosion:

1) Skeletal Mages ?
    OR
    2) Poison Nova ?

I want to Kill the monsters faster and get their bodies on the floor.

10. xxx2112xxx

xxx2112xxx IncGamers Member

Well, you don't really need many points in Mages. Put enough so you get 6-7 Mages with +skills. Inside they usually clog up doorways anyway, so I rarely have more than 2 indoors. Raise them if the need arises, such as PI's that are dying slowly. I'm going the PN route, but I don't expect to be a killing machine with poison attacks. Like the poster above said, it's more for just negating regen. I expect to do ~900 damage with nova when it's maxed, with only 1 in each pre-req/synergy. Trangs gloves help out with that, too.

Between CE and curses you should be ok. For PI's cast lower resist before CE to boost fire damage. I think that kills faster than trying to take the physical immunity off with amp, at least in my experience. Keep amp on in between for your skellies, though.

Being a summoner, you should get out of the mindset that you yourself have to do the killing. Help your skellies as much as possible with curses and CE, but let them do what they've become so good at in 1.10.

And get a Might merc if you don't have one already.

11. core1000

I'm using Decrepify + Holy Freeze Merc + Poison Nova.

12. xxx2112xxx

xxx2112xxx IncGamers Member

I use decrep occasionally with act bosses and such, but not as much as before. I used it mainly to help keep my skellies alive, but realized that the bad guys fell a lot faster with amp, and my skellies STILL survived.

Decrep with Holy Freeze rocks, though. I think an old 8088 computer could keep up with that frame rate... ;)

13. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

CE is very cool with a large area of effect. Mages are good. So you can pump Mages after CE.

But if you feel like exploiting a bug, you can don Marrowwalk, then pump Bone Spear/Spirit. This gives a pretty workable Spear/Spirit.

14. core1000

Tested Skeletal Mages Vs Poison Nova.

Skeletal Mages kill BAAL faster than Poison Nova
    Poison Nova kills Minions faster.

I'm in a dillemma

15. Mad Mantis

Preference. Necro's are about making tough choices between good skills. We are a fortunate class in that we can choose to play how we like and still beat Baal in Hell.

Just choose what you like best. My preference is Mages. I really like them. If you like Nova better go with that. Do what is fun, not what is 0.00001% better.

16. Lyte_Hammer

Lyte_Hammer IncGamers Member

i agree with MM..... as long as you don't do something stupid like max Weaken ::dodges object thrown by MM:: then you should be alright

17. core1000

The only nuisance of playing Necros is with players who complain that I lag them.

18. Lyte_Hammer

Lyte_Hammer IncGamers Member

yeah well all i can say is that some people just need to update their comps or get better connections cause i rarely ever lag to the point i can't play and about every 3rd or 4th game i'm in somebody's complaining about how i have too many skels..... get over it ya know?

19. Mad Mantis

Last time I played a Meleemancer online people complained about Lag. It is like their minds go blank and all they can think about is Lag whenever they see a Necro.

20. LordHumungus

LordHumungus IncGamers Member

Embrace your lag. Wear it proudly, as a badge of honor, much like my necro, who I named I-LagYou. I usually get cussed out as soon as I enter a game, before I have even thought about raising anything and I think it's hilarious. "If you lag me, I'll kill you %$#@!#%^&&%^^$#&^%$# stoopid necro" "Necros SuXxXoRs" The funny thing is, I usually don't summon much in Baal runs, which constitues most of my non-solo play, until someone runs their mouth. Then it's a full compliment of 17 skellies, 16 mages and 20+ revives just to get on their nerves!!