Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The value of soj(s)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Monzee, May 9, 2008.

1. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

The value of soj(s)

Hi Diabloii.net :smiley:

As you all might have noticed the prices of soj(s) have dropped much in the past months at least on europe realm. The odd thing about this is that there seems to be no logical reason for this at least not to my mind.

We should keep progress of how the value increases/decreases if anyone would be up for it like once every week. Unfortunately im not the one to ask for speciffic prices on items as Ive never really gotten the hang of how to evaluate properly. At least it shouldnt be so cheap.

Someone should do something :wink3:

2. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

Re: The value of soj(s)

I think it is fairly obvious why SoJs and other uber rares have their value deflate.

It is the worse scourge of the Diablo community.

Dupers.

Too bad Blizzard only seem to be able to catch the map hackers.

3. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

Only seen 2 dupes this ladder and they were made by accident. I have never seen a soj poof or heard about it so I rule that out.

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I guess one should do the same as with real-estate, when the prices are falling, best to hold on to your real-estate until the prices are back up to acceptable levels again. Good call, thanks for that warning, Monzee. :)

5. folo

folo IncGamers Member

The soj value is decreasing due to:

* Increased supply
    * Decreased demand
    * End of ladder season end is getting closer and closer. A soj going to be converted to nonladder in a near future is worth less than a soj found in the beginning of a season.
    * Ladder ending date speculations

In short: A market economy. :)

6. Razputin

Razputin IncGamers Member

I would think that the further into a season, the higher the amount of great/goldy items found + more sojs.

7. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

About the market economy I guess that is about right. However, one with enough wealth would then be able to affect the market prices right?

Oh since I made this topic Ive seen an increase in the value of sojs. Though little but still there.

8. Mirrislegend

Mirrislegend IncGamers Member

Can we try to make this price change a little more concrete? For example I had learned that a SoJ was worth 10 to 11 Gulls. Is it down to 9? or 7? or what?

9. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

Erh I guess I could calculate the new price but keep in mind it is not likely to find one willing to trade soj for gulls.

Old price: ~12,5 gulls
    New price: ~14,3 gulls

10. Mirrislegend

new price - old price = 14.3 - 12.5 = 1.8 = INCREASE of 1.8 gulls-worth. wtf?

11. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

Im not sure I understand what you mean but theoretically this would be correct yes.

12. Mirrislegend

I thought this whole thread was about how the value had decreased. Since you're data indicated an increase, i'm confused on an epic level

13. Monzee

Monzee IncGamers Member

The price of a soj has decreased and has done so for a long time. Lately though it have been going up again.

14. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

hmm, must just be my experience with LoD.

15. RoXorKakaa

RoXorKakaa IncGamers Member

what mods are worth a gull then?

16. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

Gulls have also dropped in value due the fact that none needs many of them and this is rather late ladder as it is. Soj value has also dropped but gulls have dropped more...

Also soj is much more expensive in west/east than in euro. If there were/is common currency it is/would be beneficial to mf in west in order to get rich in eu... -> just make mf char in west with dirt cheap items (mempher, cs pala) don't even think about upgrading them with better items as its not really needed and proceed to sell everything u find. For example certain shield i found was four times as expensive in west than in eu...

17. TraderScope

TraderScope IncGamers Member

As much as I don't like one particular trading forum because of bot users and donators getting uber wealth there I have to love the forum gold that this sites community uses in trading. It's much easier to evaluate items for their value in FG than say in gulls or sojs. And what comes to the price of 1 SoJ atm it's close to what Monzee wrote - 1 SoJ being ~14.5 Gulls, altough I wouldn't expect anyone to trade their SoJ away, at least not this far in the ladder.

18. RoXorKakaa

RoXorKakaa IncGamers Member

new ladder starts when?

19. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

When did the increase happen? Isnt it correlated to the ban wave?

At the start of ladder SOJs are very scarce, so they cost a lot if you want to buy them.
    As the ladder progresses people find more and more SOJS, so their prices are slowly going down (a lot of people have only few characters and they sell their "spare" SOJs in order to get items, or "currency").

Why did the SOJ price increase at some point? Im not really sure what point it was, but please note that around 4 or 5 months ago we had a ban wave. A lot of people lost their characters and could not play for 3 months. Now they have returned - and they do not want to start for scratch, so they buy SOJs for FG. The supply of SOJs has ben cut (a lot of people lost their characters and items), yet the demand has gone up; consequently the prices followed.

Btw. Im do not know the site we all know very well, but does anyone know how did they start? I mean, how did they introduce their "currency"? I think they exchanged it for duped runes, right? Or how did it look like? They are like a central bank - is there an inflationary effect caused by the increase of the amount of currency availible? Do they have any "sinks" used to decrease the sums of currency fluctuating (I know that search costs 5; you can buy colorful names and I think they made lotteries). This is not the correct forum to discuss the matters of another forum; but as I said, I do not know the other forum very well + the other forum is full of people posting worthless one-liner posts... so I dont think I would get a serious reply there. Nvm, posted on the other forum.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  20. Fists of War

Fists of War IncGamers Member

It does raise the question of how currency was initially generated. Sure, real money == currency, and currency == free for the admin(s), but other than that it's hard to think of a method that other people would have used to get it.

Lots of interesting points there fledgeling...something that I'd love to learn more about.