The untwinked level 99 progress thread

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Well a 99 sept just puts you on a whole new level of crazy ;)

I agree that people should take something they're interested in and enjoy. I'm also fortunate in a way that I've always wanted to make a light sorc but never have, always wanted to hit 99 and never have, and also want to try for the grail with this char. So it just so happens that my desires matched up with efficiency this time. :p

I'm starting to think though that a Nilly-running barb (Concentrate, probably?) could be really fun here too. The good thing about a project like this is that there's no issues with starting over if you're not enjoying the char, as the last leg (98-99) is easily the longest anyways.

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure if you know, but back in the 1.09 days, there were two people who did 7x99. Much easier than 1.1x, but still a LOT of work. Especially the druid/assassin. They favoured the area just before the ancients (its name escapes me). Cows for most characters obviously.

Icebird and Ryondaahl (RIP, the man died in October 2006) managed to get their 7 99ers at around the same time from memory. Trying to do this in 1.09 is on my LONG term list of wants as well.

If you look at the people who have more than 1 99er in 1.1x, you'll notice they are a certain type of person who is very dedicated, very focused and they play a LOT. They play hard, they play smart. That is the main difference to actually hitting the end vs being stuck in the WIP table. Some of these characters might not be fun normally, but the people are so stubborn, they find a way to make them fun. Eg only 1 druid and 1 barb in the table .. both by the same person :p Then only 1 assassin.

Someone who wants to hit the end will choose a popular/easy/fast build. Those who want to make a name for themselves will force it to happen :)

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
After giving this some more thought, I'm not sure I will join this challenge. It sounds like a lot of fun on it's own, but ...

• I have only recently (3 months ago) made the switch to HC, leveling up a Blizz Sorc from scratch (with the exception of a few items like Spirit sword, Stealth armor, Insight on merc, ... from a previous HC character a few years back) all the way to level 94; I'm not sure I want to do it once again so short after that; it might make more sense to try and get the Blizzard Sorc as high as possible instead
  • such a project would take so much time, that I fear I won't have time for any other projects in D2: tournaments here (such as the 'A lack of Information' tournament I recently joined), the 4 other HC characters I want to get to Guardian to have one of each class in SP (Necro, Druid and Barb started, Paladin still to be built), the SC Sept I still have planned, ...
  • I usually play a lot less in summertime, so it might make more sense to only join this after that, if I would decide to do so

I haven't made up my mind completely, as there are some pros to the challenge as well though:
  • I can see this as a very long time project, so it doesn't necessarily has to exclude all other D2 projects
  • it would be a perfect opportunity to get a 'clean' (without non forum accepted mods) SC character as well, which I then would be able to use in tournaments and such
  • I usually end up playing (a lot) more than I plan to do or say I will anyway ... :cool:

Long story short: just proceed as you want, and I'll see if I'll join or not ...

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Psh, you'll join. :p

In all honesty though, this is going to be a long-term project for everyone involved, with I'm sure many other projects in between. The forums aren't quite what they used to be, and things tend to move at a bit of a lower pace now. I'm planning on taking this to completion, but it won't be in one straight shot. I'm sure I'll burn out, join/make some tournies, take lengthy breaks, play other chars etc along the way.

If I were you, I'd do it in SC. As you say, it's the perfect chance to build up an item base for any future endeavors, and you can use your char in any MFO/RFO-type competitions that spring up. Dying at high levels will sting enough with the XP loss, I don't know how I'd stomach losing the character (this is coming from someone who regularly deeds tournament characters, so I know the feeling of having the hours of time invested go poof).

If you don't feel like doing a sorc, don't do one. :) Or at least don't do a blizzy. Meteorbers are great for building up an item base and farming Meph/Andy etc. FO/Hydra can work too, and is slightly more off the beaten path. After one of my full-restarts many years back my first char was a full-fire sorc, and she was great at getting me going. She'd need a re-spec to make the push at higher levels, but for the first phase of the journey she'd be just fine.

The main bonus to sorcs is that they don't have to spend time farming an enigma to start becoming really efficient. As pointed out earlier in the thread, in the grand scheme of things that time spent getting an enigma for other classes will be small in comparison to the time spent leveling (assuming some LK/Trav-grinding for the runes).

I'm approaching this less as a race (although healthy competition is a great motivator!), and more as a project that's always going to be there, amongst whatever else I'm currently doing with D2.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Psh, you'll join. :p
I'm not so sure. Finding a Griffon's Eye yesterday, as well as getting rather close to level 95, seemed like the pieces of the puzzle falling into place, so now I'm very tempted to convert my Blizz Sorc to a Lightning Sorc after the Zodthon, and start CS and Baal runs with her to see how far I can get. If / when she dies, I can always return to this thread and start the journey with a SC character. After all, like you said yourself, such a thing is a very long time project, and I plan to stick around for a while ...

Dying with the Sorc will hurt, I'm sure. But she has already exceeded my expectations, and I see all that's still to come as a bonus. So it wouldn't be the end of the world, as dying is part of the HC experience.

Tarantella

Diabloii.Net Member
At 95 of course amulet gambling gives all gambles a chance to getting a +2 class skill amulet which in turn gives a good stock of amulets for high level crafting. It would be a shame to risk losing that by further leveling with only the one high level HC character.

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
Why have y'all decided to make this sound like so much fun? All the links to threads and idears and stats. As you all know, I am, was, an avid HardCore player. It seems I have gone soft. Thinking about making a soso in the lines of Zmgpf and using her as my SC mfer and pvpitemfinder. As, I hear there are pvp days here and there again.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
At 95 of course amulet gambling gives all gambles a chance to getting a +2 class skill amulet which in turn gives a good stock of amulets for high level crafting. It would be a shame to risk losing that by further leveling with only the one high level HC character.
Not sure if you mention level 95 there, because my Sorc was almost that level (she has reached that level since then, jay ;)) or because you think that is the lowest level one can gamble and then craft +2 amulets, but for clarity (and for future reference, as I had to look it up myself): you 'only' have to be level 93 to be able to gamble such magic amulets or use those gambles for crafting +2 amulets.

Level 93 is still very high, but my recent experience tells me that it doesn't take a powerful character ages to reach it either ...

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Clvl 95 gives you a 100% chance to gamble +2 skills ammys. That is to say that 100% of the amulets you gamble have a shot at being +2 skills. They need an ilvl of 90 for +2 skills, and since gambled items work on ilvl = anywhere from clvl-5/+4, 95 is the first level that guarantees ALL amulets will reach the desired ilvl. So technically, you can gamble them starting at 86, although it's not too likely/consistent.

93 is the threshold for the same thing in crafting amulets.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm.. since I am doing untwinked with regular stash/no muling, I can't exactly hoard crafting materials until 93 for a +2 amulet. I might level up first before hitting LK so I can craft +2 amulets concurrently with the high rune search. Plenty of crafting materials to pick up there, would be a shame not being able to get +2 skills. Even untwinked, 93 shouldn't take very long with the right build.

Maybe this could help someone playing without muling. We all know Clvl 93 is the threshold for crafting +2 amulets (obtained from gambling) - specifically 10 out of 10 amulets will be ilvl 90 or greater.

Clvl 93 - 10/10
Clvl 92 - 9/10
Clvl 91 - 6/10
Clvl 90 - 5/10
Clvl 89 - 2/10
Clvl ** - 1/10
Clvl 87 - 0/10

If you must craft amulets before Clvl 93, here are your odds of ilvl 90 or greater. Calculated using the crafting guide.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not so sure. Finding a Griffon's Eye yesterday, as well as getting rather close to level 95, seemed like the pieces of the puzzle falling into place, so now I'm very tempted to convert my Blizz Sorc to a Lightning Sorc after the Zodthon, and start CS and Baal runs with her to see how far I can get. If / when she dies, I can always return to this thread and start the journey with a SC character. After all, like you said yourself, such a thing is a very long time project, and I plan to stick around for a while ...

Dying with the Sorc will hurt, I'm sure. But she has already exceeded my expectations, and I see all that's still to come as a bonus. So it wouldn't be the end of the world, as dying is part of the HC experience.
And it hurt. But not too much, it was a wonderful journey. So I guess I'll join this one at some point, in SC. Not sure when though.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
Did anyone start this yet? I'm going to take Grape's advice and start this sooner rather than later. Reason being I'll probably have less time as summer comes around. Hopefully that is okay with everyone, considering the length of this challenge. Sorry Kitteh :p

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
I was busy with life and the Zodthon, so I haven't started yet. I'll await the official thread personally, but I have no issues if others want to begin sooner than that. As we all know, this is going to be a long haul, so a bit of a head start is nothing more than a bit of motivation for the others I say. ;)