The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

MizzouFTW

Diabloii.Net Member
Right now I have a level 81 trapper and a level 85 blizzard sorc. Both are doing pretty simple farming right now so I need a new project to subsidize the fun. Enter Dale, the untwinked, softcore wind druid. The last wind druid I played was in 1.10 on hardcore ladder. The US East hardcore community was small, somewhat toxic but friendly and close knit. I miss those times. I decided on the wind druid because my druid, Predator, played a big role in four of my friends reaching 99 during a season. I skipped "top two" for baal and joined the next private baal run in order to clear chaos for my friend. I did thousands of runs, suffered three deaths and lost countless wealth in gear. It was all worth it though because the people made it so.

Funny story... I met a guy through a mutual B.Net friend and chaosed him to 60 in a couple private games. We ended up being good friends and I helped hiim hit 99 on his trap assassin and blizzard sorc. We used to spend hours in Ventrilo playing together. Then he referenced "breakfast of champions" at the college I attended. It turned out that he lived just 20 miles away in another city. We knew a lot of the same people and he even came with friends to a few house parties we would throw after the bars closed. That was pretty insane haha. We're still good friends today.

Anyway, this druid was made in honor of my druid, "Predator". I miss the good times and good friends I made with him (and his four remakes) during those few Hardcore US East Ladder seasons. Crazy how a mutual love for a game bring people together. I'm saving the name, "Predator", for a future project. I just finished the book, Artemis, and named him after a character from the book.

It begins...

I'm not going to use a respec unless I absolutely have to. When I am doing untwinked characters, I like to save them specifically for stat respecs when I get drastic gear changes. Normal will be played on /players 8 and I'll be leveling as a windy. I was tempted to level as fire but that's a future character I want to play from act 1 normal to act 5 hell.

I would update the table but it's been a long time since I've messed with tables on this forum and a short attempt left me a little intimidated. Any advice/tips on how to edit the table without screwing everything up?

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
Best thing to do is to paste it into notepad and edit it there - at most you might need to delete/add a few spaces or something when you paste it back here. People are pretty good with fixing it if you get it wrong though.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Real life, computer failure and a new patch got in the way of my 99er, but things have settled down now and I've resumed my run through with Durnik. I noticed all my previous posts had lost their images (thanks to Photobucket...) so I've gone through and fixed all my posts. Image size issues have meant that I've needed to split my last update and move it down to here, so I apologise if this is a slight repeat...!

**WARNING: This story does contain spoilers for the Belgariad and Malloreon book series by David Eddings**
The story so far...
NORMAL:
Act 1 – Sendaria - The Beginning
Act 2 – Tolnedra
Act 3 – Nyissa
Act 4 – Cthol Murgos
Act 5 – Aloria – Kingdom of Cherek

Durnik's Progress:
Act 1 Nightmare – Sendaria & Arendia
“This is a nightmare!” exclaimed Azrael. “It’s what we agreed, Azrael” murmured Durnik. It was true, none of the inhabitants of the Rogue Encampment remembered him, but at least he still had Azrael with him…and he still had his Horadric Cube!

Durnik got to work and found a spectral shard:

Durnik - 051 - NIGHTMARE 000 - Countess.jpg

Durnik already knew everything he had to do, so this time he would concentrate on runes and improving his worn gear. He had no reason to doubt Aldur’s words, the demons would be stronger, so Durnik needed to make sure that he and Azrael were well equipped. He had a few misfires like this badly rolled polearm:

Durnik - 053 - NIGHTMARE 001 - Part 2.jpg

But other successes:

Durnik - 054 - NIGHTMARE 002 - Part 1.jpg
Durnik - 055 - NIGHTMARE 002 - Part 2.jpg
Durnik - 056 - NIGHTMARE 002 - Part 3.jpg

Durnik read more of the Tome in the Stony Field this time around and using this knowledge he began crafting in earnest. He crafted a caster belt and caster amulet. In addition, Durnik’s affinity for the spirits (honed by constant use of redemption) helped him forge to powerful Spirit runewords.

Durnik - 059 - NIGHTMARE 003 - Part 3.jpg

Durnik - 060 - NIGHTMARE 003 - Part 4.jpg

Durnik - 062 - NIGHTMARE 004 - Part 2.jpg

Durnik - 064 - NIGHTMARE 005 - Part 2.jpg

It was time to kill the scantily clad Demon Queen Andariel:

Durnik - 065 - NIGHTMARE 006 - Andariel.jpg

Last edited:

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Table Update

Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of Deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      99             Yes           -        471           21           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.25          Yes        2190+?      477           13         270?
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      97             Yes           -          -          many          ?
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
Dezrok        Salome          SC      Sorc      95             Yes         792        318            -           -
Yng           Sophie          SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            7           -
NamelessPenguin Rockatansky   SC      Barb      95             No           -          -            -           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      94             Yes           -        274           12           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Gynli         Amazon          SC      Amazon    92             Yes           -          -         many           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      92             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
hackedagain   Hugo            HC      Necro     85             Yes           -          -            -
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
ffs           Ric             SC      Nec       76             Yes           -          -            -           -
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
aarrgus       Acala           SC      Barb      68             Yes           -          -            1           -
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   57             Yes          59         48            0           -
Xul's Gull    Araphel         HC      Necro     54             No            ?         N/A           -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
BKC           FearsomeFreddie SC      Nec       23             Yes           -          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Kitteh        Kaylin          SC      Ama       19             Yes           -          -            0           -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Pb_pal      Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1
**WARNING: This story does contain spoilers for the Belgariad and Malloreon book series by David Eddings**
The story so far...
NORMAL:
Act 2 – Tolnedra
Act 3 – Nyissa
Act 4 – Cthol Murgos

NIGHTMARE:

Durnik's Progress:
Act 2 Nightmare – Tolnedra
As they travelled towards Lut Gholein with Warriv’s caravan, Durnik noticed a growing change in Azrael. Durnik surmised that returning to his homeland brought up many painful thoughts for Azrael and he decided it was best to give his companion some space. However, with each passing mile, Azrael became more withdrawn and his temperament was becoming noticeably… frosty…It was then that Durnik suddenly realised that Azrael had stopped praying and instead a cold wave was emanating from Azrael instead. The Tolnedran desert was scorching, but the caravan was only mildly warm, Azrael’s influence tempered the oppressive heat to something quite pleasant. When they finally arrived in Lut Gholein, Azrael disembarked and the ground around his feet turned to ice!

Durnik was about to question his friend about this alarming change, but then he noticed a blue tinge to the aura and he was relieved to see that Aldur’s presence still lingered with his friend.

Azrael noticed the strange look on Durnik’s face and explained:

“Aldur came to me in a dream, he bid me to cease my prayers. At first, I was concerned that I had angered my God. I questioned him but he did not answer. I did not understand and I became cold and aloof. In time, I felt a new power awaken within me and then Aldur spoke to me again last night. He explained that he perceived great peril in our future and that the power of prayer alone would not be sufficient in the battles to come. Aldur purposefully ignored me so that I would seek answers within myself and awaken a new power. A power that would slow legions of hell demons at once. He called it Holy Freeze.”

Durnik tried to wrap his head around this change and his expression must have been quite odd, because suddenly Azrael let out an uproarious laugh and the distance that had grown between the friends seemed to close all at once and everything was ok again. Durnik laughed too and exclaimed that “The ways of the gods are mysterious, but at least the desert heat won’t be such a challenge this time around!”. Though reassured by his friend, Durnik was instead now concerned, not by Azrael, but by the foreboding nature of Aldur’s message.

Durnik - 072 - NIGHTMARE - Mega Redemption.jpg

Azrael’s changed aura did pose a new problem. Durnik’s own prodigious skills in Redemption could restore life and mana to him in almost any battle (as proven in his battle in The Maggot Lair) but Azrael no longer had the ability to regain his life force. It fell to Durnik to work on a solution using craftsmanship.

A blood helm would do the trick nicely:

Durnik - 071 - NIGHTMARE - Blood Helm.jpg

The heroes flew through the Tolnedran desert, for the heat did not slow them and Durnik’s recent streak of crafted items bolstered their offensive capabilities four-fold. Soon they were battling against Duriel again. He was much more powerful and Durnik had to quaff many purple potions to see justice served against the foul beast:

Durnik - 081 - NIGHTMARE - Duriel.jpg

Next up, it was back to Nyissa, but this time promised to be much more tolerable now that Azrael's Holy Freeze would keep the bugs and heat at bay.

Last edited:

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
@ioupainmax I so appreciate this! My original copies seemed to have disappeared, so I got the two volume omnibus version of them both. These were some of my favourites books as a teenager - I haven't read them since but a couple of people said that they don't hold their value if you read them when you're older. Care to throw in your opinion?

Sorry for the OT :rolleyes:

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
@Kitteh I have read them so many times, it's nostalgic and allows me to escape the world. I've grown up with these characters, so the series is familiar like a comfort blanket. You do tend to notice repetition if you read all his other work, but this series is still my favourite.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
HelpYourself finally hit 98 :)

7_lvl98.png

Again she made it without any deaths, though there were a few close calls where she dropped to below 10%. She will now leave the company of her buddy Baal and his entourage. Recorded her last Baal run just for fun given she won't see him for a long time. :) Also showing her current overall go-to gear, which is now going to get shuffled around for Nihlathak though.

Drops were pretty disappointing for the second half of the level in comparison to the first half when she found Ber, Vex, Windforce and Mang Song's (see previous updates). A few highlights were eth Kelpie Snare, Ravenlore (-13 EFR), eth Demon's Arch, Leviathan and a second [email protected] Mara's. Also found an eth GT in which I rolled 2 sockets, bringing her up to 5 elite eth polearms she rolled sockets into with only one netting 4. :/ Nothing too exciting in the runes department either, she found Pul, 2x Um and Mal during the last stretch.

I also continued to roll GCs all the time, and found one Lightning -- with Ric, my untwinked Necromancer. :) So yeah, no upgrade this level, but that's fine as she will now have something new to do and start experimenting with Nihlathak. This will include some stress testing since I'm not experienced at all with running him. I'm actually planning on letting her die a couple of times to get a feeling for it since now it doesn't mean any significant XP loss. Sorry HC players, but I'd rather know now than later when it hurts. :p

EDIT: Forgot to update table :)

Table Update
Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of Deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      99             Yes           -        471           21           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.25          Yes        2190+?      477           13         270?
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      98             Yes           -          -          many          ?
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
Dezrok        Salome          SC      Sorc      95             Yes         792        318            -           -
Yng           Sophie          SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            7           -
NamelessPenguin Rockatansky   SC      Barb      95             No           -          -            -           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      94             Yes           -        274           12           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Gynli         Amazon          SC      Amazon    92             Yes           -          -         many           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      92             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
hackedagain   Hugo            HC      Necro     85             Yes           -          -            -
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
ffs           Ric             SC      Nec       76             Yes           -          -            -           -
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
aarrgus       Acala           SC      Barb      68             Yes           -          -            1           -
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   57             Yes          59         48            0           -
Xul's Gull    Araphel         HC      Necro     54             No            ?         N/A           -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
BKC           FearsomeFreddie SC      Nec       23             Yes           -          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Kitteh        Kaylin          SC      Ama       19             Yes           -          -            0           -
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Pb_pal      Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Last edited:

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome job! Look forward to seeing how she does once you're comfortable with Nihl runs. It was funny to see those vipers in the Baal run -- I immediately got worried and then was, "Oh right!"

Reactions: ffs

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
The story so far...
NORMAL:
Act 2 – Tolnedra
Act 3 – Nyissa
Act 4 – Cthol Murgos

NIGHTMARE:

Durnik's Progress:
Act 3 Nightmare – Nyissa, Mishrak Ac Thull, Gar Og Nadrak and The Land Bridge…of bones!!
Durnik was right about the Holy Freeze aura making the temperature more bearable, however, Azrael could do little to rid them of the giant insects. To honour the finding of his Chance Guards, he decided to upgrade them using his Horadric Cube:

Durnik - 092 - NIGHTMARE - Upgraded Chance Guards.jpg

Shortly after this, Aldur’s voice echoed in thier minds “My sons, tarry not in Nyissa, Torak has altered events for his own ends. Instead, make haste to the most north-eastern part of the continent. There you will find a bridge that you must cross before the enemy cuts you off. Know that I am with thee”.

Durnik and Azrael quickly agreed that there was little else to do in Nyissa, so they hurried onward. They discovered the remains of Duriel’s old shell which must have been shed decades ago, since Duriel was now over ten times the size of the shell that Durnik held. The thought of keeping it disgusted him, but the passage of time had removed the foul smell and vile slime from the shell so it wasn’t actually all that unpleasant, so Durnik kept it:

Durnik - 086 - NIGHTMARE - Duriel's.jpg

So, after a brief but bountiful stint in the jungle on their way north, they cut across to the northeast into Mishrak Ac Thull. Progress was much quicker in the more open plains of the Thullish kingdom. Thick jungle had been replaced with endless temples and sewers given over to unholy blood sacrifices and demonic rites. Durnik vowed to cleanse the area and Aldur rewarded him with gifts:

Durnik - 101 - NIGHTMARE - Ko Rune.jpg

The heroes pressed on further north into the seedy underbelly of Gar Og Nadrak. Expecting to find more sewers beneath the royal grounds, they instead found an underground colony drenched in debauchery. Demons conducted experiments on cadavers, children as small as dolls had been cursed to explode at close quarters and giant demons roamed freely in the Durance of Hate. Again, Aldur rewarded their righteousness with a valuable rune:

Durnik - 108 - NIGHTMARE - Lem Rune.jpg

Durnik knew that he could create a runeword for great Wealth or something to aid his companion, Azrael. Durnik was never selfish and wealth had little meaning in this demon infested world, so he was leaning towards creating a stronger armour for Azrael. Azrael reminded Durnik about Aldur’s warning and that clinched it, Durnik would make a Treachery runeword. Normally, Durnik would never dream of associating himself with such things as treachery but Azrael pointed out that it probably did not affect the wearer, but instead, the object of the wearer’s wrath. In any case honourable men who had not betrayed one another had nothing to fear from treason. Azrael said “This will also fulfil another purpose…” somewhat darkly. So Durnik got to crafting this new armour, he first cubed some sockets and was delighted to find that cubing an Ethereal armour resulted in boosted defense:

Durnik - 110 - NIGHTMARE - Treachery.jpg

Durnik was used to fire and heat from his days in the forge, so he presumed that he would have some innate resistance to fire. However, he was unaccustomed to having fire hurled in his face or come boiling up beneath his feet during an ordinary day in the smithy. He realised the error of his ways and sought to rectify the situation with some better boots and other items granting fire resistance or absorption. He found some Waterwalks, a charm and a Dwarf Star ring, they proved most effective at dealing with the firewalls and meteors that the Dark Lords created:

Durnik - 111 - NIGHTMARE - Waterwalk.jpg
Durnik - 118 - NIGHTMARE - Dwarf Star 2.jpg
Durnik - 119 - NIGHTMARE - Shimmering small charm.jpg

Durnik also discovered Peasant Crown, a strong leather cap that was more befitting of Durnik’s self-effacing nature. It reminded him of his old leather smock which was a comfort:

Durnik - 116 - NIGHTMARE - Peasant Crown.jpg

Durnik had heard about a ’Land Bridge’ from both Alkor and Ormus. It was said that it joined this continent with another known as Mallorea. They had no choice but to continue until they found this land bridge as time was running out. Durnik fought with Mephisto and found very little among his ruined corpse:

Durnik - 107 - NIGHTMARE - Mephisto.jpg

To Durnik’s horror, the ‘Land Bridge’ had been desecrated and was instead a bridge of thousands of human bones. He cringed as he resolutely walked across it into the portal to the mysterious continent…Mallorea!

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
Table Update
Code:
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      98             Yes           -          -          many          ?
NamelessPenguin Rockatansky   SC      Barb      95             No            -          -            -           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   67             Yes          87         61            0           -
The Fallen
Code:
The story so far...
NORMAL:
Act 2 – Tolnedra
Act 3 – Nyissa
Act 4 – Cthol Murgos

NIGHTMARE:

Act 3 Nightmare – Nyissa, Mishrak Ac Thull, Gar Og Nadrak and The Land Bridge…of bones!!

Durnik's Progress:
Act 4 Nightmare – Mallorea: The Forbidden Area & Ashaba
Their first experience in Mallorea was not very reassuring. The earth was grey-black and barren; nothing grew as though nature itself had abandoned the cursed place. The sky was a consistent black, so that one did not know whether it was morning, afternoon or night. The constant moaning of tortured souls wrenched at their hearts and intruded upon their focus. Foul creatures skittered and leaped about them in the inky darkness. Trapped souls flittered through them like gossamer smoke with an otherworldly chill that was both more sinister but strangely less cold than the Holy Freeze aura Azrael projected. The meaning of Azrael’s dark words in Gar Og Nadrak became apparent when they crossed paths with the fallen angel Izual. Izual charged at Durnik but faltered when he caught sight of Azrael’s Treachery armour. Azrael faded from view and struck Izual again and again. In the midst of battle, Azrael exclaimed that he felt stronger and he cut Izual down:

Durnik - 114 - NIGHTMARE - Izual and Azrael stronger.jpg
Durnik - 115 - NIGHTMARE - Izual.jpg

As they ventured further into the darkness they came upon an opening in the ground. Here the very earth seethed and broiled as though trying to rid itself of the infection above. Durnik faced off against yet another smith, recalling that this time, he would safely stow away the Hell Forge Hammer before claiming his rune:

Durnik - 121 - NIGHTMARE - Armourer.jpg
Durnik - 122 - NIGHTMARE - Hell Forge Hammer.jpg
Durnik - 123 - NIGHTMARE - Stow Away.jpg
Durnik - 124 - NIGHTMARE - Io rune - Hell Forge.jpg

They continued on until they encountered a black house the size of a palace, that was said to be Torak’s home, known as Ashaba. It was here that they would face Diablo. Aldur sent a servant, Hadriel, to caution them, for Diablo was even fiercer than before. When Durnik got close enough to see Diablo, he saw that the darkness emanating from him had changed his skin from blood red to an unhealthy looking dun brown mixed with grey-black. Though he looked unhealthy, he was anything but. The fires he called forth were beyond belief. Were Durnik not wearing his Waterwalks, his feet would have melted in an instant. Despite the heat, Durnik never waivered for a second, until his foe lay dead at his feet.

Durnik - 125 - NIGHTMARE - Diablo.jpg

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
Awesome job! Look forward to seeing how she does once you're comfortable with Nihl runs. It was funny to see those vipers in the Baal run -- I immediately got worried and then was, "Oh right!"
As you can imagine, I'm having the exact opposite experience with tomb vipers. :D Wow, these guys don't mess around.

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
she will now have something new to do and start experimenting with Nihlathak. This will include some stress testing since I'm not experienced at all with running him. I'm actually planning on letting her die a couple of times to get a feeling for it since now it doesn't mean any significant XP loss
... and die she did, actually also 2-3 times when it wasn't intended at all. :) Those vipers are quite something! But I'm starting to get the hang of it and judge situations better. Some initial conclusions:
  • Apart from the tomb vipers nothing is really dangerous at all, unless Nihl spawns with a nasty aura or cursed. Still learning when it's best to S&E or when it's safe to finish the runs. But so far it seems the really dangerous viper attacks can be easily avoided by teleporting away after they attack, almost always providing enough time to shoot down Nihl until they get annoying again. They also seem to spawn at the same locations and it's not too hard to find a safe landing spot.
  • Crescent Moon indeed enables her to push through when Nihl rolls breakable LI. Unless vipers are around or Nihl spawns with some inconvenient mods, she's able to safely finish the runs. So it's pretty clear cut she'll be using CM over Hoto.
  • Other than that, not sure whether I prefer CoH's PDR and better resist or Vipermage with Bloodfist and 86% FHR. Due to more FR SCs being required with Bloodfist, she has less life when running 86% FHR. Overall it feels like CoH is safer, using magefist and rare ring with FCR/resist/life/mana to hit 117% FCR. Still comparing these though.
  • I experienced several instant game crashes since I started to run him, not sure about the reason but it's obviously annoying. Anyone else had that issue (could be Mac only)? On the other hand, I don't seem to have the S&E delay that others had at all. So I think with some practice she should be able to push run times down to around 20s, provided Nihl doesn't roll LI and there's nothing to pick up. While I was at it, also recorded some initial Nihl runs. Still learning the map and wasting a second here and there, but it's ok for now. Map also seems good with two shrines directly on the way to Nihl for some more XP and gems for GC rolling.
Overall I have to say I already enjoy the noticeable increase in worthwhile drops in comparison to Baal, that guy was really stingy. ;)

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
@ioupainmax that makes perfect sense, indeed it only happens since I switched to Delirium Merc, thanks for the explanation. I guess it's fine though since runs are so short... unless it happens when there's some really rare item on the ground. :D

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm using Delirium on the merc too, but don't have many crashes. Almost none actually iirc.

What changed Nihl runs from very dangerous to a routine job (well almost) for me was making a habit of stepping away from the merc after the final teleport, before starting attacking. Iirc if you stand close to the merc, the damage of the cloud goes up exponentially.

Obviously nasty combinations involving Might, Fana, Amp, ... sometimes still require me to S&E, but not much anymore.

O yes, about 20s runs ... wow, just wow.

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 The issue of when you stand near your merc is probably due to Last Collide. Onderduiker explains it here:
https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/dealing-with-tomb-vipers.776600/#post-7640437

Pertinent bit:
The second is when two targets are overlapping or standing close enough together to collide with the same cloud(s): since enabling Last Collide only prevents a missile from colliding with its last target, each cloud collides with the targets alternately and thus applies its damage every other frame (averaging 12.5 times per second).

This also the reason that Fissure works best when there is a pack vs 1 monster.