The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

NamelessPenguin

Diabloii.Net Member
@Trapin' I'm watching your Zealot like a hawk! So very interesting, so much style :cool: And second what @ffs said. If your looking for eBoTD, you need to get your tuchas over to Travincal and just hack & slash until that Zod is completed. Probably after farming Meph for basics, though. You'll go insane if you start farming areas for that stone.

Xul's Gull

Diabloii.Net Member
@Xul's Gull i know how you feel with the Infernal Torch drop. I had never found The Hand of Broc until very recently, and it should be relatively easy to find. But, after looking at my Flavie report, the only uniques I am missing in the normal and exceptional catagory are the TC3’s, which are kinda rare to find and even more so later in the game. Another one I’ve only found once a very long time ago was Biggin’s Bonnett, and yep it’s a TC3.

It does seem odd, but the fact we even want to find this stuff is cool. It could simply be for completion or using as twink gear. I do think it’s fun to use some of the low end sets early on just for kicks. Some day I plan on a normal Unique only character, but that’s after the rares and blues only characters and several other builds I want to try.

This stuff reminds me of the early days of D3 when people were crying about finding gear for classes other than what they we’re playing. THats were smart loot came from which is another layer of crap they added to the game that helped ruin it(IMO). Honestly I would rather the current devs just leave D2 alone. There is no way they would just improve the resolution and maybe make some quality of life changes. They would have to add things they think would help, and they suck at that.

My sentiments exactly. It's not like them to leave things well enough alone. Just let us find Uber Diablo through different means and fight the Pandemonium event and leave everything else the same. Is that too much to ask?

Ashenshugar

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't played too much of Diablo 2 lately, but I did finally make my Call to Arms and the Double Axe tip I got earlier in the thread really paid off, thanks a lot for that! After trying to run a bit in the Chaos Sanctuary I think I will stay in AT, there is just too much manaburn going on in CS since I have to be pretty much in the face of my enemies while Tornadoing. I may try running Baal, but I have yet to kill the ancients so that would be a thing to ponder I guess.

Natur CtA.jpg

I also found a ring I've wanted for a bit

Soj Natur.jpg

ffs

Diabloii.Net Member
As I've feared there is way too much RL stuff going on at the moment, so progress with HelpYourself slowed down quite a bit. I still might find the time to run some more over the Christmas days, but realistically I think she'll hit 98 early next year. However, she's now over 50% of 98 and reached the 3.1 billion mark today, so I figured it's time for an update given 98 will take a little longer. :)

XP/LCS post-BO currently:
6_LCS at 97.5.png

Gear-wise there was just one min-maxing change. I've been meaning to include some more MF in her setup, but was not willing to sacrifice a lot safety for it, so I've been waiting for another Vex drop in order to do this:

6_Vex.png
6_ethHoto.png

Her other Hoto had a nice [email protected], but that roll didn't matter because she's over-capped anyway. Reason for the move was the eth Hoto can be used with base dex, so I was able to swap in War Travelers and bringing her MF from 63 to 110. Didn't want to use WT before because it would have meant a more significant HP drop when swapping out Waterwalk. With the dex points not required for the (non-eth) Hoto and the ability to pump vitality a little more, she now only lost about 40 life after BO and the extra 5% FR from Waterwalk. Now that seemed like a low enough price to pay for almost doubling her MF. (And as I've said before I'm generally a fan of eth style points. :))

Well, turned out the extra MF paid of almost immediately with this overall grailer dropping just a few runs afterwards:

6_Mang Song ground.png
6_Mang Song IDed.png

Really happy about this one! Overall grail is now down to -5.

Other drops from 97 to 97.50:

6_WF.png
6_IK armor.png

Not quite top end but still a cute little upgrade for my all-time favorite character:

6_jav life skiller.png

Direct Ber #5 for her I believe. Spare HRs now at 3 Ber and 3 Sur.

6_Ber#7?.png
6_Gul.png

Other drops were Mal, 2nd Tal Armor, 2nd Halaberd's Reign, Knell Striker (actually another grailer!) and another Cold Skiller. Her overall skiller count is a bit over 40 by now, 7 of them with life. Hitting 2 shrines per run and rolling GCs as much as I can, but still no luck regarding a third Lightning Skiller. :/

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sad to say that, due to a computer crash and me not backing up data regularly enough, I have been set back to 19 July 2017 when it comes to D2 :(. Everything else was recovered, but for some reason D2 save data is the one thing that the guy who fixed it for me didn't recover (even though it was definitely possible :( ). So Neverland is only at 3.285.000.000 xp. I was at some 3.309.000.000 xp, so it's 'only' some 10 hours of play lost, but still this setback has severely lowered my urge to play D2, so it may take a while before I pick up Neverland again.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah damn it buddy, sorry to hear that :( Perhaps play a fresh tournament character for a while? Or, y'know, play through PoE with me :rolleyes:

When you say no D2... You are still doing OA, right?!

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Kitteh Yeah, of course still our weekly group game !!!

I bought Counter Strike GO to cool down my frustration on bots. Played some this afternoon. So much fun.

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
@Xul's Gull Of course by mentioning Biggin's, it decides to drop, and in the AT of all places. I have not found anything at all good towards the mini tournament, but this just about makes up for that. The only other one I found was a drop from big D, pre LOD, so yeah, its been many moons since I've seen it.
Screenshot244.jpg

Trapin'

Diabloii.Net Member
Screenshot083.jpg

Getting super close to end game gear!
For now I have to use nosferatu's coil for the IAS breakpoint, but once I find that convetted stormlash or azurewrath I can use the dungos :D

Questions for you guys:
I just put a 40% ED 7% FHR jewel in my G helm. Was this is a mistake? I know the ED % is calculated differently for off-weapon gear, but I figured it still increases damage so It can't be bad?

I also have a 15% all res +14 Max dmg jewel I'll probably put in my HoZ when I get it :) Or again should I not put dmg stuff in off-weapon? I have an Ohm rune I plan on putting in my weapon whenever it drops

necrolemming

Diabloii.Net Member
Offweapon ED% is additive with skill ED. Synergized Zeal + Fanaticism is somewhere in the 750% ED range, so an extra 40% on your hat is around a 4.7% increase. For comparison, with an average roll Stormlash (153 average weapon damage), getting the same DPS increase with a +max/min jewel would require 4.7% of that in average damage, which is about 14.5. In other words, a +15 Jewel of Carnage with no other mods would have been about the same there. Azurewrath does even less weapon physical admage; you'd only need +11 max to beat 40% ED. I wouldn't call it a mistake, per se; if you don't need resists from that slot it's fine, but when you already have a high physical damage modifier from skills, getting more of it on equipment isn't that attractive.

I definitely wouldn't socket an Ohm for the damage when even a plain ED or a mediocre ED/max jewel is going to be very close in efficiency. If you don't want to make an Exile or reroll a CtA or something, just sit on it.

aarrgus

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, it's been a while since I've updated Acala, because life gets in the way. Had a whole bunch of work days in a row and then got sick so all that Mephisto running I had planned on doing kinda went out the window lol.

But Acala the Pure Vita Barb is back and has reached 63. When last we left Acala he was at the doorstep of Mephisto, ready to go one on one. I figured it would be an easy fight and I would be farming him in no time. Oh how wrong I was. My damage was pitiful. The first fight with Mephisto took about 15 minutes. Brutally slow. So the quick plan to farm Mephisto right away went out the window. I had to spend a bit of time farming in Act 2 NM for a 2 socket axe base and finally got one to drop in a hatchet. (I didn't want to farm normal because I have a perfect countess and Meph map in NM). I was able to slap the Strength runeword into that hatchet and my kill time on Mephisto dropped from 15 minutes to about 3 (time swinging on Mephisto, not full run time) thanks to the 25% crushing blow. Better, still not the best. I broke up the monotony of Mephy with making it a complete circuit of Mephisto, Tal's Tomb (for a second socketable), Countess (for some low runes to either cube some sockets in a hatchet, and the second Strength runeword), and Andy. After a few days I got a white hatchet to drop and one cube recipe later I had that two socket base and a second Strength runeword weapon. Kills of Meph dropped to about 1m30s. Finally in the range of acceptable. I did make one final concession though.... I went ahead and put points into Battle Cry. I was so starved for AR that Double Swing was in the mid 30% range and Frenzy only at 40%. Battle Cry, Double Swing with two Strength weapons and their 25% crushing blow each, and a little extra damage from the merc has dropped the kill time to below 1 minute now.

The first major upgrade I saw was a little something for the merc.... Ethereal Duriel's Shell. This is one that will hopefully last him quite a while :)
Then a little couple of somethings for me dropped.... 34% Chance Guards and Skullder's Ire.

And the absolute necessity for this Pure Vita build... a Raven Frost. Sadly it's only a +16 Dex and I probably need a +19 for endgame, but the AR and lack of being frozen by Mephisto is a true godsend to the run...
And finally on the drops, a Spire of Honor (187% ED) for the merc (and an Arm of King Leoric same drop).

There is still a lot of work to do and a lot of upgrades to be made. I got a Tal's mask drop that will be nice for the merc soon, but the most pressing issue is to get some actual axe drops for Acala so that eventually he can make some progression through nightmare. Crushing blow is great for bosses, but the low damage output I have otherwise makes regular enemies quite the slog.

Pertinent stats
Current level: 63
Current Strength (base + charms + gear): 107 (40 coming from 2x Strength RW axes though)
Current Life (With BO): 3180
Strength from 24 slots of charms: 25

Progress Update
Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      98.50          Yes           -        466           21           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.25          Yes        2190+?      477           13         270?
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      97             Yes           -          -          many          ?
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
Dezrok        Salome          SC      Sorc      95             Yes         792        318            -           -
Yng           Sophie          SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            7           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      94             Yes           -        274           12           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      91             No            -          -            -           -
Gynli         Amazon          SC      Amazon    91             Yes           -          -         many           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
aarrgus       Acala           SC      Barb      63             Yes           -          -            1           -
ffs           Ric             SC      Nec       61             Yes           -          -            -           -
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
Xul's Gull    Araphel         HC      Necro     54             No            ?         N/A           -           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
BKC           FearsomeFreddie SC      Nec       23             Yes           -          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Kitteh        Kaylin          SC      Ama       19             Yes           -          -            0           -
hackedagainanda Hugo          HC      Barb      16             Yes           -          -            -           -
The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Pb_pal      Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
Good progress buddy, I love an ethereal Duriel's :D I also just love the way the word 'ethereal' sounds :p

NamelessPenguin

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, I think it's time to introduce my runner. He's a WW barbarian, dual wielding Grief wearing bad ass mo'fo. I promised myself to add him when I hit level 95.

Screenshot186.jpg

I don't know If he will ever make it to 99, since I have this love/hate relationship with him. I love that it's such a challenge to get him to really mow down stuff. And I hate that he's not a caster. My main mission was to make an effective CS running barbarian, who could compete with the casters, although doubtfully win the competition. There is still a lot of damage to be won with better Grief rolls, but I haven't seen any useful runes since my LK days. Charms could always be better. And I have no idea why his AR is so low...

He can do sub 4 min (with my raggedy skills) Baal runs, which also could be better, and I hope it will with Highlords. But as of now, The Pits is still the most effective place to gain exp.

Gear

Enigma MP
Guilliam's (+15 All Res + 7 max dmg. jewel) - have a 37% + 13 max dmg in my stash, don't know if it's worth it, though
Dual Grief PB +381 / +376
LoH
String Of Ears - 8% LL, 15% DR, 14 MDR
Raven Frost - 250/19
Dread Turn ring - 10% FCR, +90 AR, 6%LL, 30% Lres, 19% Fres, Half Freeze
Gore Riders
Cresent Moon amulet (I know...Andy is so awfully stingy...)

Skills (needs a respec)

Max WW
Max Sword Mastery
Max BO
15 Berserk
11 Howl
+ a couple here and there

Progress Update
Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      98.50          Yes           -        466           21           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.25          Yes        2190+?      477           13         270?
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      97             Yes           -          -          many          ?
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
Dezrok        Salome          SC      Sorc      95             Yes         792        318            -           -
Yng           Sophie          SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            7           -
NamelessPenguin Rockatansky   SC      Barb      95             No           -          -            -           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      94             Yes           -        274           12           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      91             No            -          -            -           -
Gynli         Amazon          SC      Amazon    91             Yes           -          -         many           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
aarrgus       Acala           SC      Barb      63             Yes           -          -            1           -
ffs           Ric             SC      Nec       61             Yes           -          -            -           -
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
Xul's Gull    Araphel         HC      Necro     54             No            ?         N/A           -           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
BKC           FearsomeFreddie SC      Nec       23             Yes           -          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Kitteh        Kaylin          SC      Ama       19             Yes           -          -            0           -
hackedagainanda Hugo          HC      Barb      16             Yes           -          -            -           -
The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Pb_pal      Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Last edited:

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
To be honest, this is one of those tournaments where this isn't really a winner per se. So, focus less on 'winning' :p