The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member
@Tarantella, I got a Hel too for my Hell HF troubles, misery loves company I suppose. I don't think Hephasto was conviction for me but he was able to kill the merc a couple of times.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Running a shrine next to one of the waypoints in Act 1 to upgrade those topazes in the TC3 hunting thread made me wonder: would it be worthwhile to do the same for xp shrines in the last stages to 99, maybe from 97 or 98 on? Xp shrines seemed to spawn quite often ...

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
Exp shrines can be worthwhile for Diablo and Nihlathak, and you will need a good map with max shrines along the way. Diablo takes long enough to spawn that checking shrines near WPs could be worth it if all the shrines in RoF and Chaos are no good. It will depend on your run times and how often you find an exp shrine. Baal will curse the shrine off, so no go there.

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Name:       NintyNine_orRiP
Class:      Sorceress
Experience: 789639453
Level:      81

Naked/Gear
Strength:   92/92
Dexterity:  55/81
Vitality:   308/308
Energy:     35/37
HP:         756/980
Mana:       195/446
Stamina:    452/452
Defense:    13/553
AR:         225/417

Fire:       168/128/68
Cold:       181/141/81
Lightning:  180/140/80
Poison:     153/113/53

MF:         122       Block:      24
GF:         142
FR/W:       20
FHR:        0
IAS:        0
FCR:        110p
My current situation. I've made it to the LK. The current map only has one super hut in it. RiP dual map. I had hoped I didn't have to reset my map, as I sort of like my AT set up, but I've been running the Elder Zombie more than I have AT.... That zombie is right on the WP, so I can just start blasting him on p8, get good xp, and he drops more than anything has in AT except for that first chest drop I linked earlier. AT is 7 tele's away from the WP, and it is somewhat circular. But, all I'm finding is blues! :( :( :( Now, when I was running, I had ~250 mF and 70 fcr with +50 res, but the drops seem so lackluster.

I must add, I've never actually done area running before: only targeted running. And I really have never played in Hell mode much, mostly with the MP group we did several years ago. p1 AT is way quicker than p3, @pharphis did say I need to max speed pretty much. I'm still slow going, as I'm not comfortable just TPing around hitting the bosspacks only: that seems so dangerous.

For those who have made it this far, I'm looking for advice: Run LK for runes? Keep running AT for gears? Keep going til Pindy? I suppose all of those options are good, and I am free to choose any.

I would like that sweet BO flail everyone has. That would be neat. Let me check on what runes I have:
Pul and Um are the highest, Shael and Sol, then all the first tier runes. I'm comfortable with my gear for questing: that 105FCR is so much better than 63!

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Since you are HC, I would make it a priority to get yourself that CtA as soon as you can. That will beef up you and your merc and make running AT on higher /p settings much safer and more enjoyable. Because of this, I would suggest hitting up LK for a while. Who knows, you might get lucky and be able to make yourself a HoTo as well! It shouldn't take TOO long to get those runes, but the again you never know. Another runeword I can suggest is a Delerium helm for your merc, as the Confuse proccing really helps with crowd control. Not everyone likes this RW, but I am a huge fan (and it only really costs an Ist, so no big deal in the long run). The only reason I'm waiting for hiigher levels to really pound LK is because I'm not using an extended stash and want to maximize my crafting potential.

After this, I would live in the AT, while maybe casually running LK/Pindle/Meph/whatever else to break it up. The finds will come in there, are you have the potential to find literally any item in the game which is huge in an untwinked char like this. Run on whatever you feel comfortable with (ad whatever is safe!), but obviously higher /p setting will help you level faster. AT has the benefit of not being super dangerous mostly either, as long as you're careful about your teleports (and your resists - mostly fire/light- which you are set up well for.) As for going solely for bosses/pack, I wouldn't worry too much right now. You're still going to get decent XP from the regular monsters, and as you mention it's much safer to clear them out too. At later levels the XP gap between Boss/minion/champ/regular monsters becomes more important, as the regular guys quickly become a waste of time.

Once the XP stops coming as quickly from AT(probably around 94-95), you can upgrade to the CS If you feel comfy with it. It's quite a bit more dangerous though, so you'll have to play it by ear.

Definitely stay 105 FCR. It's faster, and safer as monsters have less of a chance to smack you while you teleport passed them!

I wouldn't bother much with Pindle right now (not worth it for the danger of a one-shot deeds), although he's great for getting you to the mid-80s. Honestly though, if you can handle it, just stay in the AT.

TL;DR/summary of my opinion:

1. Get a 2-hut LK map and run it dry to complete (in order of importance)
  • Call to Arms
  • Heart of the Oak
  • Delerium for the merc
  • Treachery is a decent armour for your merc as well, and is what mine is using (not sure what yours is right now). You'll get a Lem in no time at LK anyways.
2. Get as good an AT map you feel like getting and set up shop until level 94/95 (switching between other targets as you get bored/need a change of scenery) Adjust /p setting as you go depending on how comfortable you are, I would start on /p3-5 for now, and as you get used to the map you can increase it according to your kill speed.
*Remember, if your sole goal is levelling, then slower doesn't mean worse for higher /p settings. You can go up to 4.5x slower on /p8 vs /p1 and remain just as efficient*

3. Once you hit 94/95 re-evaluate and either stick with AT, go to CS if you can handle it (although I probably wouldn't, in HC), or go for another shot at LK for more gear upgrades (Infinity, Chains of Honour, etc).

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
Thank you, @Pb_pal ! Greatly appreciated! The CtA and HotO are great targets to shoot for, as they would be a coju-first! With my current set-up, I actually feel safe running p8LK for the runes. This is quite a nice plan, thank you for it, again.

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
Well well well. It seems she made her namesake...

Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      90             No          307        184            0           -
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       90             No          173        126            1           30
PhineasB    Mercy           SC      Sin       87             Yes           -        139            5           -
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      83             Yes          -        114            -          -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      82             Yes          -          -            -          -
Gambit      Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      79             Yes          35         34            2           14
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       57             Yes          33          0            0           -
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     22             Yes           -          0            0           -
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0          a few
I actually HIT escape, but hit it again. :sigh: I wanted coffee. I should have got up and got coffee... And I should have changed maps as I wanted to do that.. hm.. well.. I will enter again. It didn't take too long getting to where I am at. And, y'all all know how much I :love: making new characters. I watched a speedrunner on twitch, kilizkak? Illidun? idk his name, but going CB into Nova seems to be a quick way to level. Then, going to switch into pure blizzard faster. As I told others, I take myself: This deeds is only a way to learn how to be better.

I did manage to pull the Gheed's off, as I thought, "I don't want to lose it," not even 3 minute before!

Attachments

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
@coju - Damn! Sorry about the deeds, RIP. Glad to see you're back on the horse though, hopefully nova's proximity to monsters won't be too nail-biting for you!

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
@coju - Damn! Sorry about the deeds, RIP. Glad to see you're back on the horse though, hopefully nova's proximity to monsters won't be too nail-biting for you!
Nah, I live on the edge! I would only be for the first act or so, I reckon.

I figured out the problem: I misspelled my name... I would have fully regretted getting ninEtynine with a misspelled name. So, I must introduce:

Ninetyninenorip

She shall make it. #believe
Plus, I had the option of deeds in her name, and who would want to live with that? 50/50. Not anymore. 100/0.

Last edited:

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
One good trick for LK is if your level is higher than those punks with the polearms, they will run away like the pansies that they are. So maybe next time hit up Meph/AT until you are lvl 83? so that you have one less enemy to deal with when you are running around in there.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
One good trick for LK is if your level is higher than those punks with the polearms, they will run away like the pansies that they are. So maybe next time hit up Meph/AT until you are lvl 83? so that you have one less enemy to deal with when you are running around in there.
I always thought that it was killing the council and smashing the compelling orb that triggered the "fear". Can anyone confirm either way?

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
I always thought that it was killing the council and smashing the compelling orb that triggered the "fear". Can anyone confirm either way?
I think this is right. Although I'm not sure if both actions are required or just one, since I always complete both of those together.

RIP

Diabloii.Net Member
You need to kill the Council ant thats all, it has no relationship with Your level

Edit: LK is very deadly, especially if You are running like me with p7 settings (i had best results in the past with this setting, so i stick with it), so i like to have max block and even direct physical dmg reduction here - Gerkes sanctuary is great for that for example)...

Anyway great progress all of You guys, i've started pure Blizzard sorc myself, but thanks to no time for playing for next couple of months (strongman training, competitions, work etc) i will stay outside the tourney (next winter will be good time to progress :)), but i have to say GL to all of You and thanks for inspiration ;)

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Condolences on the loss @coju :(. Good luck on the rebuild.

AT is a great source for high end items, but it's not like you get plenty of S/U drops down there. I usually farm Mephisto first for some of the useful TC78- stuff like Harlequin Crest, Skullder's Ire and Arachnid's Mesh.

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
I definitely feel as if I jumped the gun. I've only made it to level 6 or so on that rebuild. No enthusiasm. :( I want to go hammerdin, or poicrow, or bonecrow... or actually try the cb into nova build for sorc instead of fireball... Actually, I did get that new rebuilt killed at level 7 i think. ha. Thank youf or the condolences, @T72on1. I want to call you TZ Zon, by the way :).

_______*__________*__________*_________*__________*_______

Introducing Coffee_Break. And an apt time to take one.
Code:
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      90             No          307        184            0           -
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       90             No          173        126            1           30
PhineasB    Mercy           SC      Sin       87             Yes           -        139            5           -
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      83             Yes           -        114            -           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      82             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit      Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      79             Yes          35         34            2           14
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       57             Yes          33          0            0           -
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     22             Yes           -          0            0           -
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
coju       COffee_Break    HC      Sorc      07             Yes           0          0            0          54mns
The Fallen:
Code:
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0          a few
2 in CB, 2 in Nova, going to get Shiver Armor sometime, so a couple points in it, and 4 in Static Field. I needs manas. Leveling has speed up a bit. p8 because I'm used to it and I like to pretend I have friends. The plan: Prayer Merc, then (Ahhh!!!) since I already have Nova set up, Frozen Orb, I reckon, depending on how it is going at the moment. I don't want to waste the Respects, as I only plan on having three (saving ancient quest) (and I think you have to have baal to get all the essences).

Last edited:

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Well we suffered our first death at the hands of a bunch of lightning mages. Eleanor is sitting at 7 LR right now, so all it took was teleporting a bit too close to a boss pack and getting hit by a few bolts at once. We're strongly considering hitting LK seriously before 93 to farm ourselves a Hoto and fix our resists situation. The problem there is I don't want to lose my current AT map, and my LK map is not great (only 1 campfire, quite far from WP). I'll see how it goes, and might just keep doing what I've been doing and do a casual ~25-50 or so runs here and there as I go.

Nothing else to report, although we've gotten a few of the higher-ish qlvl items dropping such as Nat's Claw and Steel Carapace, so that's always nice to see. Eleanor now sits at level 91. :)

For those interested in how the finds are shaping up so far, here is a Flavie snapshot for you. In terms of which items are most common, Berserker's Hatchet leads the charge with 10 found, and we've only found a measly 4 Isenhart's Cases.

Code:
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      91             No          341        193            1           -
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      83             Yes           -        114            -           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      82             Yes           -          -            -           -
coju        COffee_Break    HC      Sorc      07             Yes           0          0            0          54mns
The Fallen:
Code:
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes          -           0            0         a few