The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

ILikeRocks

Diabloii.Net Member
Finally through Act 2, definitely the most boring in my opinion. Found a few greens and an 18% Nagel. And I made this to help out quite a bit with running.

Untitled.png
+6 to warmth is really helping with mana!

ILikeRocks

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry for the double post here, but now I am at an impasse...

I just killed meph and am about to move onto Act 4, but I am only level 24 and am in dire need of some item upgrades for my merc... I ran countess until I had enough to make Malice, but it is in a really slow stick and damage isn't very high. He is wearing terrible armor and helm, that were just gambled. I have found quite a few s/u's but no helms or armors that would be worth it.

Where should I go to get better gear? Norm Meph doesn't sound all that exciting and my merc couldn't stand up to him, had to teleport across the moat and hit him with fireballs a lot to get this far.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Just continue, straight for Act 5 Pindle. Your merc only really matters once you can make him Insight anyway.

As for keeping the merc alive ... better stuff will drop soon. Until then try to give him a source of life leech (Amn in the highest possible damage beatstick at that point?), and equip him with some cheap stuff like Stealth Armor (Tal Eth), helm with Sols and / or runes for resists (Thul etc), ... Or switch to an act 3 cold merc until you can make an Insight. They provide quite good crowd control.

There's probably far better gear options for cheap that I'm forgetting now, as I'm in a hurry, because I want to go out for a run after a very long work day. The thing is: it doesn't really matter too much at this point :).

Good luck.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 "the chase" is back on. My wrist is getting a lot better and I can get back to running. I'm still going to take it easy, max 20-25min sessions, so I won't stress my hand too much.

And just to rub some salt into wounds, this is how CS treated me with my first ~15min of running:

That's Ber #3 for me since lvl96. At the moment, it looks pretty great for my future Sorceresses, because I can make Infinity/CoH any time I want from now on :) Although, I'm kinda waiting not to do that, in case I can hold on for all my runes until 99 and make a badass rune haul pic :)

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Neksja So that's where all my Ber runes go ?! Right now I feel like saying that I would have preferred to find one Cham rune less and two Bers instead. But in the long run I'm sure I'll be quite happy with those 2 Chams. And the Bers will come eventually.

So congrats !!! That's the game telling you it's glad you are back. And so are we :).

Good luck, and take good care of that wrist, so that it doesn't go the wrong way again.

darkstarhub

Diabloii.Net Member
I made it up to 90.

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.9           No         4858        468            4         348
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      97.5           Yes        2190+?      433           13        228.5
Neksja       Aura            SC      Paladin   97.2           Yes        2722        421            -           -
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       97             Yes           -        408            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -        345           16           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz         Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt       CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -        Dont want to know
darkstarhub  Neptune         SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -            -           -
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone    Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
MercMan      Este            SC      Ama       86             Yes        1212        278            2      Classified
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      84             No            -          -            -           -
Qwernt       AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Zenigma      Gnosis          SC      Druid     78             No            -          -            -           -
Jean Avila   SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Lynchgrinch  Tattersail      SC      Sorc      75             ?             ?          ?            ?           ?
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor     Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb   Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
Kitteh       Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
TwentyMule   Gaius           HC      Assn      17             Yes           1          -            -           -
The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

ILikeRocks

Diabloii.Net Member
We are moving along quite nicely! Made it up to 40 now. Looking for a good base for Spirit and Insight now, that will make things go even faster! I have found 15 S/U's now, nothing really good. But some upgrades to my terrible gear lol.

Nightmare.png

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Aura has reached 97.3, but I shall update the table after Christmas, hoping that I can do a proper update then to show some actual progress instead of some lousy 20 mil XP gained.

Anyhow, I have noticed a potential new way of grinding for me. P7 seals and Diablo. I did some test running last night, only ~30mins though, and noticed that the lowest XP gained per run was 122k and the highest run was somewhere around 150k. I averaged roughly 93 second runs, but that excluded time muling items in GoMule. I will probably be doing some more P7 Seals+Diablo runs to get a better idea (and include muling in timing), but it seems that it could be faster way to level up, especially if the map you have, has a consistent boss pack spawns near seals, so you get the extra XP easily.

So, I will be running the rest of lvl97-98 alternating between the following three setups:

Code:
P8 Vizier+Infector

P8 Vizier+Infector+boss packs

P7 Seal bosses+Diablo
Between Christmas and New Years, I'll try to do 2-3 hours with each setup and see which is the fastest and get some numbers for other people to reference for future. I have a feeling that P7 Seals+Diablo will be the fastest for characters who are NOT collecting every S/U drop. I had to mule items off roughly every 4th run, so that's slowing down the runs quite a bit, but with a good map and solid character like a decked out Hammerdin, you might crack 100k/min if you ignore the rubbish Diablo drops. I mean, there was a drop from Diablo, where I got unique Poleaxe, set War Staff and set Long Battle Bow. That's half a stash in one drop and any sensible runner would just S&E and move on. Thank god there are pack rats like me, who just pick up and stash everything...

If I have time and interest, I'll try out P7 Seals+Diablo runs with Merc using 3x Shael Hone Sundan, if that 45% CB will speed up killing the big man himself. I'd be carrying Hone Sundan in stash and swap it with Insight for Diablo, but I'm not sure that's going to be too beneficial. Also, probably ends up being horribly annoying for me since I would be wasting 2x4 spaces of inventory on saving few seconds tops per each run, I'll probably lose all the seconds saved (and more), trying to get all the S/Us to my stash. But I'll try to find time to test this scenario out as well. For science of course! I also might try P8 Seals+Diablo, but don't think that's worth while since you only get more XP from Seal bosses and most of the XP comes from Diablo anyway.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry for double post.

This morning, I did an hour of P7 Seals+Diablo running. I averaged 78k/min, which isn't too bad, but it could be better and considering I've now just done about 1.5 hours of those runs, I'm not completely comfortable with Lord de Seis -pack and I could use a better map. Just to paint the picture of the hour, I had to empty my stash 7 times and only items really worth picking up were Paladin Combat skiller (pretty great find actually), Lem rune and 3-5 Ral runes. So, that's about ~7 minutes time lost, not counting the time spent identifying stuff, taking them to the stash etc. Additionally, Merc died 3 times. Guess how many times I clicked "Go to Harrogath" instead of reviving Merc? Yes, three times. So I'd go with total of at least 8 minutes of running time lost. That's at least 4 more runs, maybe even 5 with a good map, but let's go with 4. That's ~600k extra XP gained, increasing your xp/min to 88k. Go and get a map with few shrines to get a chance of XP shrine and you are looking at 90k+/min efficiency, which is pretty great. As I said in my previous post, I wouldn't be surprised reaching 100k/min XP with this.

I'd also would like to try these runs on PC, but that's not possible at the moment. On Mac, there is this horrible FPS drop when there are 3 or more OKs on the screen, which slows down running A LOT, so either a solution to that or switching to PC would make these runs even more efficient. I would have to say that this FPS drop is by far the most significant factor of me not gaining XP faster, even teleporting past few OKs will slow me down by up to few seconds, so in a long-term project like this, the seconds really start to rack up.

I was trying to convert my current speed to find out my XP gain for 98-99 run and it looks like I might be able to push 1.9mil/hr with P7 Diablo+Seals. @Pb_pal @NanoMist @zticazzy what kind of xp/hour you were/are getting at your final level? Just wondering whether that's a good rate of xp or not.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
That's so incredibly fast compared to me. At your rate, I would have been close to 98, I think :).

Anyway, still grinding away. Currently at the 3.131M mark. Will do an update of the table once I hit the 97.75 mark. O yes, and I found this one:

Screenshot158.jpg

So I can now make Infinity. Only it appears I don't have a proper base :(. I tried the cube recipe on two Eth Threshers, but no luck. I have 2 more to try I think.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
That's so incredibly fast compared to me. At your rate, I would have been close to 98, I think :).

Anyway, still grinding away. Currently at the 3.131M mark. Will do an update of the table once I hit the 97.75 mark.
It looks like you have the advantage of having more time on your hands to play D2, I just keep falling more and more behind. I'm somewhere around 75 mil behind you at the moment :/ I even considered killing Ancients to catch you but that would have been just silly at this point :D I just need to find more time to run.

So I can now make Infinity. Only it appears I don't have a proper base :(. I tried the cube recipe on two Eth Threshers, but no luck. I have 2 more to try I think.
Congrats on Sur! Also, that's why you keep picking up every single potential RW base! On the other hand, I still haven't managed to find a single ethereal Giant Thresher yet, which I want for my Infinity base. Just for style points I guess :) Hopefully that Infinity will serve you well and help you on the way to 99 :)

zticazzy

Diabloii.Net Member
@Neksja about 2.9-3.0 mil/hr for me. For reference, see this video I posted earlier: "20 Nihla kills + 2 bonus kills from 4 exp shrines = ~500000 exp points in less than 10 mins, ~25 secs per kill on average." I've been lucky while recording this, many exp shrines and few accidents, but yeah, my overall average wasn't too far from that. If you'll ever choose the Nihla's route, then good luck. I see you gotta go fast but take your time to see what's best (fastest / safest) for your char, that place is tricky.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
@Neksja - My rate is 2.5 mil/hr. Keep in mind the exp. to next level is 291 million, or 251 million after Ancients. You can figure out total time spent from there. Can't help you with the FPS drop issue though, no Mac here. Hopefully you can fine tune your runs better. I remember Lawbringer mercs back in the Iron Maiden days, but I think losing Insight may be too inconvenient.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm going to time an hour of runs tonight and see what mine is. I have a feeling that I am horribly lower than even 2.5 mil/hour... Although, not actually the untwinked tourney :p

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Good job @Neksja and @T72on1 . As far as I'm concerned, you are both making amazing progress. ;)

Hope the progress continues well @NanoMist - I've come to the main page and see you as the most recent post in this thread a few times recently and hoped it was THE post.

I have focused mostly on two tourney characters lately, but have gotten in some time with Mercy and Hiatus. My goal is to get Mercy to 3.00B and then focus on Hiatus to reach level 96. Rerolled Mercy's map, with a slight upgrade due to direct line teleporting only.

With thanks to @NanoMist for the video on Baal runs, Mercy's approach has changed, with some improvement. I ultimately settled on portal to Malah to remove poison from wave 2 bc plenty of scrolls drop and a belt slot for poison potions just wasn't worth it. Mercy just sits right in the spawn area for the first three waves and telestomps Colenzo with the merc. The others go down quick. Ventar's group now goes down with a single round of traps, with only occasional need to get 1-2 stragglers with a second round. Lister and Baal are still a challenge, requiring a minimum three rounds of traps each. That's actually an improvement with Lister in some way, as the third round is just needed to clean up, usually, 1 or 2 that are left.

The XP/hr discussion above made me realize that taking some time to focus on upgrading gear would potentially save time over the long run. This seed has a great Andy map (maybe get a +skill ring), Meph map is decent (7 teleports to stairs), but the Pits map ended up being very solid. It takes a bit of teleporting to get there, but there are 3-5 boss packs (average is probably 4) from entrance to level 2, with only 10 teleports total to get there. Level 2 has 3 boss packs regularly, with only one very rarely. I was curious and checked XP, and she averages ~50K per run at <1 min per run.

Given slow Baal times (haven't timed a long set, but I think it's probably ~4 minutes), it's not a total waste from XP perspective. And there are lots more drops. She throws in Meph at the beginning. Early returns were great, and she was thrilled to get another skiller :cool: and then her first Nature's Peace (BKWB or SOJ would have been better, but not complaints :rolleyes:).

The skiller required some stash adjustments. Her HoTo was only [email protected], so she used the stashed Vex to reroll, with an upgrade to [email protected]. She dropped one SC of Vita and two Shimmering SCs ([email protected] total) and is still maxed on all resists except cold, which is in 60s. She going to mix up Baal and Pits for a while and hopefully get closer to 3B this weekend.

Hiatus is back in LK looking for the Ist (or Mal to cube up) for CoH. Last night I had really unusual and frustrating sequence -- just under 20 minutes of running with not a single rune drop. I don't count runs, but runes found and planned on doing a set of 5 before bed to get back into LK. That's why I know how long it took. Found 2 runes on first run, and then nothing. I had to empty stash 2 times before finding the third rune (which was, of course, a Tal).

Here's a pic just before emptying it the first time. It got filled and emptied again before next rune (although she did pick up two pairs of rare boots in second batch).
LK (Stretch).jpg
I can't recall ever having a stretch that long without a single rune. The odds seem astronomical given chest drops. The flawless gems, jewels and charms were dropping like mad, so it may end up working out if she nets a nice skiller from GC rerolls. :)

Edit: This changes things, I think.
Baal (Unique Scourge).jpg
Stormlash:
Stormlash.jpg

What's the best approach -- keep it in the cube and switch for Baal?

Last edited:

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
So I just did an hour of runs whilst watching Star Wars, and got 1.8mil... That was over 32 runs. Pretty poor really. I do pick up a fair bit though, gems, charms, rare pelts'barb helms/boots. I also visit the stash every 2-3 runs as I only have my cube and 2x2 (1 of which is a flawless amethyst for gem shrines). Really not good :p

I will do an hour using my old routine, P8 all the time, and see what the difference is. Perhaps Cyrax tricked me into a slower method, you baddie!

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Merry Xmas everyone. This awesome thread has inspired me to join up. I have a HC Sorc in NM Act 3 that Ive been levelling the last few days. I'll enter her name on the table when I figure that one out. Grats to those that have completed this challenge (pb_Pal and zticazzy) and encouragement to those on the cusp (Nanomist, T72Zon and Neksja) Take care and will give update soon.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member

Finally made it!!

Not much to report on the finds except for a pair of Vex runes (1 and 2).
Rune haul screenshot for all Vex+ runes found in 11802 Nihlathak runs.

A very big thank you to all those who have supported me and followed my journey!

I will try to post the 99 thread in the next few days.

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      97.5           Yes        2190+?      433           13        228.5
Neksja       Aura            SC      Paladin   97.2           Yes        2722        421            -           -
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       97             Yes           -        408            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -        345           16           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz         Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt       CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -        Dont want to know
darkstarhub  Neptune         SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -            -           -
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone    Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
MercMan      Este            SC      Ama       86             Yes        1212        278            2      Classified
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      84             No            -          -            -           -
Qwernt       AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Zenigma      Gnosis          SC      Druid     78             No            -          -            -           -
Jean Avila   SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Lynchgrinch  Tattersail      SC      Sorc      75             ?             ?          ?            ?           ?
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor     Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb   Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
Kitteh       Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
TwentyMule   Gaius           HC      Assn      17             Yes           1          -            -           -
The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

DaveW

Diabloii.Net Member
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you Nanomist. That is one great achievement. Can't wait for ur 99 thread.