The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

TwentyMuleTeam

Diabloii.Net Member
@Neksja Thank you & those some nice looking runewords you have there. I'm doing a bit of countess running to make some lower level runewords before tackling NM.
@liquid_mage I believe it's the total number of sets & uniques you've found.

Well I have my very first destroyer!

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      98.50          No         3064        437            5           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.2           No         3180        442            3         263
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1594        394           11         148.5
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       96             Yes           -        361            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz         Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -        326           15           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      90             Yes           -        236            -           -
Qwernt       CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -        Dont want to know
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     79             Yes         106         81            5           -
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      78             No            -          -            -           -
Zenigma      Gnosis          SC      Druid     78             No            -          -            -           -
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Vildecor     Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb   Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
TwentyMule   Valus           HC      Barb      47             Yes          11          8            -           -
Kitteh       Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc       1             Yes           -          -            0           -

The Fallen:

Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Normal was pretty uneventful.. just bashing things with concentrate. One NDE but overall nothing serious. I did find some fairly useful items in act 4-5, but nothing that will take me far into NM.

I really love the tankiness of the conc barb, something I've never really experienced in d2 since I normally play sorcs. Killing speed hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be but I can tell it won't be long before that slows down considerably. On to nightmare!

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@liquid_mage Great. Welcome to the fun that is this challenge, and good luck !!!

For fast leveling, my advice is to get through content fast, and go straight for Pindle. I found him awesome to gain xp. Run him on the highest setting you can do relatively fast until you are somewhere around level 40 - 45 (I usually go for 45, but it's probably not necessary) and then proceed to nm. Do the same there. Your first big friends will obviously be a Spirit sword and an Insight for your merc, so keep your eyes open for the runes and good base items.

When you get to Hell and have a few good items, try to hit LK as fast as possible. There's a few things that can help you there, but the one that probably stands out first is Call to Arms, since that will make your trips a lot safer. Once you have found that Ohm for CtA, you can keep doing LK for other stuff (Vex for HotO, Ber for CoH and Infinity), but if your gear isn't too bad, you can also hit up AT to gain xp and hopefully find some good S/U. And who knows, one of the HRs that you want, drops there too. I wouldn't sweat it if you don't have Infinity though. I haven't got one at level 97 either, and I don't think it would have sped me up that much. Besides, Insight is just so convenient.

From level 94 or so on, just follow the advice of pros like Pb_pal ;).

@TwentyMuleTeam Cool !!! Congrats.

Not sure what /p setting you are playing on, but if your killing speed does slow down in nm, I would advice to tune the /p setting down and speed through the game. As I said earlier in this reply, just get to Pindle ASAP and run him for xp instead of wasting too much time getting through the game.

@NanoMist Are you still grinding away in search for 99, in between other stuff, just like @Pb_pal or is your character on hold?

I still have been playing my Sorc quite a lot, but only LK and Trav runs in search for HRs to equip the characters in my Sept. I haven't done any xp runs since hitting 97 a long time ago, except for a few session right after that. I'm really keen on getting back to CS though, but only as soon as LK has coughed up another HR.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
Still leveling, just not everyday due to splitting time with other characters and having less overall playing time. I haven't reached the halfway mark yet, but I think I'll do an update this weekend.

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
Ugh died four times getting to level 16, I forgot how rough D2 can be when your build relies on skills that you don't get until level 24-30. Two of the deaths were to a big pack of archers with a unique in the pack. The other times were to blood raven and andy. Even though I play softcore I really try not to die so if I die before Act3-4 NM I usually get upset.

zDadColdSorc made it to level 16, in Act 2. I called it a night after I got my cube. So far only two uniques: Deathspade and Dragon Chang, and no set items yet. Things got easier as I went along getting my archer helped quite a bit, also then getting 3-4 points in ice bolt and ice blast, then the deathspade and finally getting my Act 2 Merc with prayer.

I'm still deciding on block or no block for this blizzard sorc.

@T72on1 Thanks for the input and feedback. I did some research on player level to monster level, XP penalties, etc and have a better understanding of the grind it will be 95+.

I'll update the matrix after I beat normal.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
I am going to put up a second character to the table, later today I think. I started a hammerdin on Wednesday and he's running Eldritch now at lvl30 and gaining levels fast, hopefully will be entering Hell by the end of the weekend.

Why a second runner?? As much as I enjoy playing with Turirao, (now lvl87, will update that as well hopefully today), I occasionally want to play a caster type char and I already have two sorceresses running around. I decided to go with hammerdin as I think it might be the best choice for CS running, which I have never really done, but it looks like fun and I want to start doing that. Just need to spend an eternity in LK first for that Enigma...

So, from now on I'll hopefully do double updates. I have my doubts about Turirao and his efficiency to gain xp, but I really do like playing a wolfie, so that's something I have going for me.

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
@Kitteh I started on P3 then had to move it down after the first 2-3 deaths. I should have started with a different build and used a respec later but I was stubborn...

zDadColdSorc is now level 20-21 at the beginning of Act 3. I managed to get 3 chipped topaz and 1 flawed in my armor and helm, plus a MF gloves and a nice set of Rare MF boots. In the 2nd half of Act 2 I found Isenhearts helm, Cathan's Chest, Angelic Chest, and Crushflange.

Also I'm slowly reading through this thread, i'm on page 6 of 38. Hoping to find some tips but it appears to be pretty standard play/leveling until level 91+.

Last edited:

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
The technique varies I think, mostly dependent on HC/SC. It might be worth playing players 8, it is tougher, but more experience and drops. You should be able to breeze through with a cubed savage pole arm on an act 2 mercenary :)

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member
Figured I would give an update. My character has made it to 91. I'm pretty much only doing RoF runs at this point, searching desperately for an ethereal elite 6 socketable polearm or spear. Still no runes for Enigma (except the Ith, ha), which is depressing.

TwentyMuleTeam, I dig your avatar. Go blue!

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
Got some time in this morning almost done with normal mode. After Ice Blast was enhanced through synergies and my merc was high enough level to use the 2nd savage pole arm I rolled(the first was meh) I went back up to P3, I hate P8 if I'm killing to slowly when i playing through normal and early NM. After blizzard and cold mastery things really started moving. I chug through potions like no bodies business, until I get insight it will probably stay that way.

Best find since I started: Magic Circlet +1 Sorc Skill +19 Energy (level 27)
Item that needs to be upgraded: My amulet is terrible, no luck gambling so far.

I updated the charts and moved OldSoldier up per his update.

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      98.50          No         3064        437            5           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.2           No         3180        442            3         263
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1594        394           11         148.5
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       96             Yes           -        361            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      95             Yes         894        316            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz         Qty             SC      Sorc      92             No            -          -            -           -
PhineasB     Hiatus          SC      Sorc      93             Yes           -        326           15           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt       CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           -          -        Dont want to know
LiquidClear  Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
Lord Molyb   Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     84             No          104         87           16          idk
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Neksja       Turirao         SC      Druid     79             Yes         106         81            5           -
Zenigma      Ayura           SC      Barb      78             No            -          -            -           -
Zenigma      Gnosis          SC      Druid     78             No            -          -            -           -
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Vildecor     Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax   Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Lord Molyb   Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       50             No           12          9            0         idk
TwentyMule   Valus           HC      Barb      47             Yes          11          8            -           -
Kitteh       Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU          Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      38             Yes           -         12            7           -
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Last edited:

Gladstone

Diabloii.Net Member
Would like to get in on this, very happy to see that the singleplayer community is still thriving.
My character is Socrates: windy druid, hardcore, currently level 86
How do I add him to the list?

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
@Gladstone - I added you into the table. You can edit the table by quoting the latest post containing a table and inserting it into your post. If you are having trouble with the spacing, copy the table into a text editor with a monospaced font and make changes there. Remember to removed the quote tags. You can also preview your post if you are unsure about how it will look.

---

Here's the update.

At 98.4 now, very slow going. Still aiming for 99 by end of the year, but I'll have to pick up the pace a bit.

Notable drops:
Griffon's
Vex
Gul
Light GC with 20 life
Lo
Triple D Key
Jah
Vex
IK Armor

Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 176
Durability: 16 of 20
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0xc0faaffc
Item Level: 95
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
-18% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+14% to Lightning Skill Damage
+118 Defense

I think the Griffon's and first vex should belong in the 98.2 update, judging by the experience, and I forgot to post it. Grail is past the 90% mark with most of the missing items in the usual TC3/TC87 group.

Code:
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.4           No         3724        457            3         287
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
Gladstone    Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      38             Yes           -         12            7           -
The Fallen:
Code:

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
At level 47 I found this in NM Act1 Catacombs level 3, need a bit before I can wear it:

Tal Rasha's Adjudication
Amulet
Required Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x30a6403b
Item Level: 43
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
Adds 3 - 32 Lightning Damage
+50 to Life
+42 to Mana
Lightning Resist +33%
Set (4 items): +10% Faster Cast Rate

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
@liquid_mage I found my first Tal's Ammy in NM as well, although it was Act 2 Sewers. Congrats, it's a nice and useful find!

Aura, my hammerdin in progress, reached LK yesterday afternoon and this morning, made his stay 1/6th shorter:

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
So the blizzard sorc made it to level 59 before I had to go to bed. At level 47 I found Tal's Ammy, around the same level I had all the runes for a Spirit sword but could not find a 4 socket sword. At level 52 I was finally able to make my Spirit sword. I had no luck finding a Shael or Sol rune for Rhyme, Lore, Insight. Once I got to NM Countess I ran her 10-12 times and managed to get a Shael for the Rhyme shield around level 50. I did not get any Sol runes until level 55, I got two off Countess as a double drop around level 55. Insight and Lore made a huge difference(Lore was a small upgrade as I had a +1 sorc skill and 19 energy circlet already). One of my better finds of the weekend was an etheral 4os poleaxe, that I used for the Insight. At level 59 I'm still wearing a very meh amulet but at this point I will keep using it until I can wear my Tal's ammy. I've run a bunch of P7 Meph(20ish runs) only useful finds so far are an Undead Crown for Life Steal and a Rockfleece armor both for my Act2 merc. At some points I was trying to rush through to get to Act 3 NM and had to force myself to slow down. In Act 2 I had to restart my game as I got trapped by the snake elite(Cold Immune) where you get Horadric Amulet.

Code:
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       98.4           No         3724        457            3         287
Gladstone    Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      59             Yes           -         54           11           -
The Fallen:
Code:

MercMan

Diabloii.Net Member
So with this thread sitting so long on the first page of the forum, I couldn't help but join in. I typically play a barb or paladin but decided on a LF/CS Zon for this challenge due to their Baal running (something I loathe) ability and my need for a change of pace.

Este was born on 6 October 2016 and she is now at lvl 68 running Meph for a bit of gear; particularly a Titan's. My gear is pretty bad, but that's the definition of untwinked.

My path to lvl 68 has been P8 all the way until I started NM Meph runs and contained two deaths that demonstrate why I don't play HC anymore. The first death occurred in an area I had cleared (or so I thought) when my 19 month old daughter started crying and I left the room to check on her. When I returned a lone zombie was standing over my corpse. I would swear the zombie was smiling. The second death was to Normal Duriel. All I can say is that base vit was not a good approach. After allocating some stat points it was easy street.

I don't have tons of time to play so I am hoping to hit lvl 99 by the end of 2017. Along the way I will pick up all S&U items to see how many I get on the way to 99. Infinity is definitely part of my plan but I'm not sure about Enigma.

Last thing, when I explained this project to my wife she requested contact info for all the forumites that have posted in this thread over the past month. I don't suggest you open any suspicious packages in the near future.

Until next time

Code:
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      90             Yes           -        236            -           -
MercMan      Este            SC      Ama       68             Yes          178       122            2      Classified
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc       1             Yes           -          -            0           -

The Fallen:

Code:

liquid_mage

Diabloii.Net Member
@MercMan Welcome I just joined this event a few days ago. To be honest if i hit 95 i'd be happy I don't know if i've ever had a character above 92-93. Also please try to grab the latest update listing as the one you grabbed is 3-4 days old and has been updated 2-3 times since. I've updated the latest matrix with your info. Again welcome and good luck.

Code:
MercMan      Este            SC      Ama       68             Yes          178       122            2      Classified
liquid_mage  zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      59             Yes           -         54           11           -
The Fallen:
Code:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to all the new people !!! Really makes me want to get back to CS running. But finding that HR in LK first? Yeah ...