The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
You've been injured for a week and haven't started already!?!? Kitteh!? How is RL treating you?! :D

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
@Kitteh - Ouch, sorry about the injury! Welcome back though, going HC or SC this time around?

@PhineasB - At this point, I would definitely grind to try and finish the Infinity since you're only a Sur away. It will make running the Pits (or wherever else you decide) noticeably faster, and make leveling less of a chore. Great progress!

Great job to everyone else too! :)

--

Eleanor stopped by LK to do a bit of casual running as a bit of a break from AT, finding a few goodies while she was there:

- Mal
- Corpsemourn from a Corpse (how fitting!)
- +1 Cold Skills GC

Then it was back to the Ancient Tunnels, where we suffered our 2nd death. It was again at the hands of some mages, although this time it was from a mass of bolts from the LE boss. I'm starting to get pretty sick of that. Just as we were on our way to 92 and getting mentally prepared to hit LK seriously for a Vex, we got a nice surprise. Well that was convenient!

So we went to make our HoTo, and popped in Ko, Vex, Pul.... and that was it. Looks like we forgot to save a Thul along the way:rolleyes:. Ah well, no biggie. We decided to stick it out in the AT until 92 before hitting LK for that thul, and then THIS happened. Well, looks like that was a nice waste of a Vex! Let this be a nice reminder for everyone to double and triple check that you actually HAVE the runes to make a runeword before trying it. It's mostly a shame as that Vex represents 1/2 of an Ohm for CtA, but oh well, I'm not going to complain too much about finding a fathom :D.

From there Eleanor pinged level 92 and stopped for now, trying to digest fully what had just happened.

PS - She broke through Grail -300, so that's something!

Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       92             No          246        162            1           37
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      92             No          379        209            2           -
PhineasB    Mercy           SC      Sin       89             Yes           -        172            6           -
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      83             Yes           -        114            -           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      82             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit      Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      79             Yes          35         34            2           14
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       72             Yes          33          0            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     40             Yes           -          0            0           -
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Smancer     Smancer         SC      Necro     10              -            -          -            -           -
The Fallen:
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes          -           0            0         a few
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
As I've completed my 15 hours in the TC3 hunting tournament, I'll be back to this one.

I had never thought seriously about going for 99, so I never really paid attention to the 99 theorycrafting thread. I am only a few pages in, but there is lots of good info in there so thought I’d link it in case others weren’t aware of it. The most interesting thing (to me) so far was the discussion of whether to focus on running targets for gear or to just run for XP on the assumption that gear will drop along the way. I am happy with my runes from LK, but I think about the time spent there versus running Pits and how it would balance out in the end.
Somehow I missed this post initially. Thanks for the link, it brings up a very interesting topic indeed: focusing on getting good gear first and then focus on xp grinding vs going all out for xp from the beginning (since you'll get the necessary equipment while doing so). My initial idea was to go for xp from the start, since the 2 main targets (Pindle and AT) don't need good gear to play on a higher player setting. But since a lot of people seem to throw LK in the mix, I'll be doing the same. Time will tell (or maybe not) if this is a good plan or not. I've read the first pages of that 99 theorycrafting thread, but couldn't find a conclusive answer as to which method is best.

I have never done any LK runs before, but it's easy right? Reroll maps until I got one or preferrably two campfires near the waypoint, hit the chests and racks in the huts, as well as any corpses in the area, done !!! No? Well, knowing myself, I'll need quite the learning curve early on, and as a consequence I'll be rather slow in the beginning, but with all the hours needed to get to 99, it won't mean that much ;).

Last edited:

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Member
Sorry Coju, only just noticed your reply! RL is half and half haha. I've had to cancel a race on 17/4/16 and might have to cancel one on 23/4/16 too, for which me AND my parents have flights and accommodation booked for, and is also my only world qualifier this year. Seeing as I qualified last year and still wasn't able to go, I'm pretty down in the dumps about it. On the other hand, I've started a new job in a science centre presenting shows and exhibits, which I LOVE. Yourself? :)

So, Cyanosis is reborn in a different tourney! I'm planning to go down the dual claw route and will again be doing no extended stash. Two things that I'm undecided on just now; what to use my imbues for (thinking diadems or claws) and what finishing move to use (either dragon claw or normal attack).

Code:
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       92             No          246        162            1           37
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      92             No          379        209            2           -
PhineasB    Mercy           SC      Sin       89             Yes           -        172            6           -
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      83             Yes           -        114            -           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      82             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit      Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      79             Yes          35         34            2           14
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       72             Yes          33          0            0           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     40             Yes           -          0            0           -
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Kitteh      Cyanosis        HC      Assassin  19             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
Smancer     Smancer         SC      Necro     10              -            -          -            -           -
The Fallen:
Code:
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes          -           0            0         a few
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I decided to try out LK during my lunch break (that's the fun thing about having work and home very close together ;)), but quickly realized I totally don't have the gear for it. Mainly fcr gear, as I only have 65% right now (30% Spirit / Stealth / ring). Or maybe it was just me thinking 'oh my god, do I really have to learn something new in a game I know so well'?

Anyway, I reverted back to Pindle at /p5, which is such an easy way to level up. I know that /p8 would be better, but then my merc gets killed too often to my taste. I was close to 82 Edit: make that 83 :oops: when I started, 84.25 when I finished. It seems I haven't done a proper update for some time. When I do, I'll also update the table.

@Kitteh What kind of sports and races are we talking about? Keeping my fingers crossed that you won't be injured for too long. I know how terrible I always feel when I'm injured. And how I dig into D2 even deeper because of the frustration in that case, hehe.

Last edited:

coju

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeas, [email protected], I recall you doing some type of endurance things a few years ago, and it looks like those have really grown on you! I'm glad to hear! As for me and running, I go around the block a couple of times with my dog and call it a day. 0.6 miles from what Google maps tell me it is around, so I just do a couple to few of those. I'd like to go to some 5k/10k/half marathons that are everywhere around here, and I've never thought about booking a flight! Wow! That's awesome to hear!

As for this tournament: if I were SC, I think, if my character could handle it, going for the XP might be better than going for gear then xp, as death can be regained.one would have to find the right place at the beginning, of course; although, if you were melee then gear finding would be more important.

But, the thought behind it: is it going for maximum less time spent? This challenge is going to take a lot of hours, so spending a few of them MFing shouldn't be no trouble. It's not like MFers would be that far behind XPers, I wouldn't think.

For HC, I can see both options being viable: as long as you could survive where you were running. I've been spending time dicking around in NM to get a better feel for the monsters and my character. She is almost to Meph, wait.. she is at NM Meph with a decent map: 7 tele's or so, not the 3 I want, but that can wait, and I believe Andy is relatively ok as well. So, to me, spending time MFing in the overall picture of this challenge is like counting pepper in your hand and separating the different colors. One could always bump up the /players when running if they felt xp was more important. But it always comes down to personal choice, and we have the freedom to choose, as Citizens of Earth.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
@NanoMist - Grats on the first Sur! Hopefully they keep on coming. :) I'm interested to hear about your findings at LK, so definitely keep us posted!

@Kitteh - Welcome back, glad to see Cyanosis lives on. :) In terms of imbues, I will be imbuing Diadems, I'm just not sure when yet (this post, and this one later in the thread have some more info on that). Not sure about claws and their potential with imbuing, but I think I'd rather burn it on a Diadem anyways, since the potential is so high. Hmm, now that you've got me thinking about it, I might keep an eye out for the next white Diadem that drops and give it a go..

@T72on1 - coju pretty much nailed my opinions about MF/XP focus. I think of MF as a positive feedback loop, where more mfing = more finds = higher mf/faster killing/both = even more finds. As coju said, spending some hours doing dedicated MF runs, or LK grinding, is going to be a very small fraction of your total time spent, but could end up making the journey way easier and faster. This of course depends on the build you're running (aka the requirement of more specialized gear), but is good as a general rule of thumb.

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks!

Just to add to the MF vs XP discussion. I did some very rough math to estimate time spent in LK and going 92-99 using my particular build and needs. LK time may be about 20% of time spent doing Baal runs. I used Baal runs since that was the first data I could find in terms of number of runs needed to reach 99. LK time estimated based on making Enigma + Infinity with my LK run times. This estimate could be totally off though, due to all the assumptions that were made (such as no deaths, type of run, number of runs, and length of a run) and also the RNG nature of the D2. Of course, this time will be different with other builds - sorceress don't need enigma, non elemental builds don't need infinity, sorceress LK times will be much better than the other classes that have to run on foot.

I suppose one can also find these runes while gaining XP in the Alvl 85 areas, but given my clear speed, LK was a more attractive option for me. Plus, LK is also great for charms/jewels, so there's other benefits as well. In the end, do whatever is more enjoyable to you.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool to know @NanoMist, 20% seems reasonable, and about what I was expecting.

I'd be interested to see some numbers on it too (even if they're rough), just to get some theorycrafting going. It would be interesting to get some numbers on different leveling strategies for sub-98 running as well (like what Gripp has done here, so people have an idea of what a "good", or even "attainable" run-time would be for the different areas (although I suppose that could be done in the 99 theorycrafting thread..)

LK numbers are pretty easy:

I remember reading in the LK patterns thread that a Sur is expected every 900 runs. My personal experience is that it's not that high (and the accounts in this thread certainly seem to corroborate that), but then again others have stated that it has taken them longer, so until someone tells me otherwise (*cough* @Brak are you around? *cough*), I'm going to use that number.

From there it's pretty easy, assuming a 30s run-time (which should be decently attainable if you're focused on only HRs, even for non-teleporters with Harmony, a good map, and some dedication):

Enigma (6 Surs) would take 5400 runs on average/30s = 45 hrs to farm.
Infinity (4 Surs): 3600 runs = 30 hours

So 75 hours total for the "Big 2" runewords.

Of course this assumes you never pop a Ber, and that we're running on /p7 (where the most Sur patterns exist), and are ignoring poppables etc etc.

You need 5525 Baal runs to level from 90-99 (taken from jjscud here). Figuring a conservative 3 minutes per run (DISCLAIMER: I have NO idea what good or achievable Baal times are, or can be expected for our different characters here, as I've never done any dedicated Baaling.) that would be 276 hrs to go from 90-99.

So ~27% of your time in LK with those numbers. Again, those numbers (Baal especially) are virtual shots in the dark, but I'd say that seems about right for the balance of time spent, and lines up decently with Nano's rough guess.

Keep in mind too that Gripps comparison numbers for CS-leveling are lower than 3 minute Baals for the most part, although it IS Gripgod we're talking about so it's different for us mere mortals.

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
@Pb_pal Thanks for the details and especially the link to Gripphon's tests. For me and the build I picked, a Blizz Sorc, that makes things really easy. No rune farming, as I don't need Infinity or Enigma, so all CS for me, and Pindle and AT before that, to get some better gear. ObviouslyI would love to get an Ohm for CtA and / or Ber for CoH, but I can hope those will drop along the way.

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member
I remember reading in the LK patterns thread that a Sur is expected every 900 runs. My personal experience is that it's not that high (and the accounts in this thread certainly seem to corroborate that), but then again others have stated that it has taken them longer, so until someone tells me otherwise (*cough* @Brak are you around? *cough*), I'm going to use that number.
I've never been a numbers/efficiency guy, but every 900 runs sounds about right if I'm remembering 12 Surs, 6 chests/run, ~65k patterns. You should also remember there are 3 Ber patterns which are 2x Sur since mostly you want Enigma/Infinity you won't be needing the Sur runes. So I'd just move it into runs/Ber which comes to ~1213 runs / Ber if I'm guesstimating correctly (which I'm probably not).

NanoMist

Diabloii.Net Member
@Pb_pal I left out my numbers to make a quick post, but that is roughly the methodology I used to calculate. I used @Brak's number for runs per Ber and a 3.5 minute Baal run. P8 waves are a bit tougher for untwinked characters that don't have the benefit of an inventory full of skillers. My trap damage will be decent but not great unless I'm fortunate with skillers and/or trap claws.

The sub-98 leveling discussion is also interesting, but would have to be broken down into a case by case basis like in Gripphon's post you mentioned. That post is also an excellent example of making the most out of your time, and I would encourage everyone to do there own testing and figure out their best strategy. Fun to compare our results and see what works. I'm sure we'll be coming back to this discussion as more people reach mid 90's.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sure we'll be coming back to this discussion as more people reach mid 90's.
Yeah I'm going to start documenting more closely my XP gain and other factors once I hit 95, as that's when the XP really starts to slow down an the stream-lining can begin.

Pb_pal

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 - If you're going to do CS running, you'll almost certainly want a CtA. It can get a bit hairy in there and sorcs are not exactly super durable by nature. However, as you said there's a decent chance you'll be able to find an Ohm by the time you switch to the CS, or at least find 2 Vex and cube them up. I still think you'll need a bit of LK to finish it (especially the CoH obviously) but it will be insignificant compared to your leveling times. :)

--

So Eleanor headed out to LK in search of a Thul to put a close to her Hoto fiasco.

While searching LK for a Thul, about 10 runs in Eleanor popped this instead. Well now I don't feel so bad about that Vex! We are now only an Ist away from CtA as well so her gear is getting pretty set. I really hope her luck holds out, as she is by FAR the luckiest character I've ever had, especially at LK. In ~400 runs of single-campfire LK running she has so far in her career netted:

Sur x2
Ohm
Mal
Um
Pul x3

That's just insane. She hasn't even found any Magefists yet (and would very much like to for the FCR, so that she can pile on more MF)!

Shortly after this she found her Thul and made her Hoto (37 res all) and did her comparison against DF. Well first off, the LCS shows a ~800 higher dmg output with fathom. As you would expect, it performs noticeably better than the Hoto. The only downside is losing the FCR (to maintain the 105 bp), so other slots are used for it that could go to MF. Small price to pay though for the big increase in efficiency and not suprisingly, I'm going with the fathom :). The Hoto will be kept on her though, as we will want it when we switch to lightning. For now it will be used with our 2-Pdiamond Mosers as our "Emergency-Body-Retrieval-Kit".

We hit 93 without anything else interesting happening, and I think now we'll finally make a serious push at LK to find some Ists for CtA/Delerium, and maybe finish our Infinity before continuing. That way hopefully we can prevent another few deaths. Shame to lose our AT map that we love, but that's ok, we'll get another when the time comes.

Other finds:
- another Vex (seriously, what is going on with these things?)

Berserker's Hatchet still leads the charge for most found item with 12, but Isenhart's Case is quickly approaching (now at 10).

Code:
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      93             No          423        220            2           -
Kitteh      Cyanosis        HC      Assassin  19             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
The Fallen:
Code:

Smancer

Diabloii.Net Member
@Pb_pal That is just some amazing luck. Congrats on the great finds.

I have been moving Smancer along Act 1, but at the moment I am just more motivated to run LK over and over with my sorc. My best finds so far are just Lum and Ko. I feel like I am due in for something soon.