Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

the ultimate tank.....

Discussion in 'Druid' started by druidofdestruction, Apr 28, 2005.

1. druidofdestruction

druidofdestruction IncGamers Member

the ultimate tank.....

hello, this is my first post here on the d2 forumns and the druid is my favorite character of all time :) I just started playing about a month ago and was going to make a wearbear i was just browsing through my inventory and was wondering if maybe this would be a good gear setup:

vampgaze 6/7 leech
    shaftshop 196 ed
    string of ears 8 ll 11% red.
    carrion wind ring 9 ll
    ravenfrost ring 225 AR +17 dex
    highlords ammy
    shaeled baranars star
    stormshield
    draculs vampbone gloves 9 ll
    and gorerider boots 196 ed

and for merc i was going to use the act 2 defensive merc to further boost my already insane defence. when he gets lvled enough i was going to give him:
    shaftshop
    vampgaze
    and amn,shaeled bonehew 287 ed

and as for skills:
    maxing oak sage, lycan, wb, maul, 10 points into shockwave, and rest are going into direwolf to upgrade my bears life (assuming I reach lvl 99)

I am pretty sure im lacking in the AR, resistance, and dmg departments and was wondering how you might would comphensate for that. I know this has probably already been talked about on the forumns, or isnt the usual wb build, but i was wondering if you guys might be able to comment on how this thing would turn out before i start making one, thx.

P.S. if you are wondering why it seems like for playing for only a month i already have all this stuff, its cuz i used to play back in 1.09 and my friends were cool enough to give me a few things to trade for and get back on my feet.

2. druidofdestruction

and I currently have a lvl 80 WB thats pretty much the opposite of the above post hes using:
    jalals
    highlords
    corpsemourn (waiting to get to 85 so i can use my valor)
    string of ears
    raven
    carrion
    draculs
    goreriders
    and messerschmidts reaver

if u guys could help me out with his setup id appreciate it as well.

3. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Looks ok but if you want a real tank go for a stone armor, I would also use verdungos as belt. Also 1 point in shockwave and you are better with more points in bear then wolves for more damage the life is not needed since you are recast.

4. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

The gear you have selected is way over the top on DR, it is capped at 50% now. Picking a high defense armor (stone/gloom runewords) or a good combat armor (leviathan uniq kraken shell, fortitude/duress runewords in elite armor) is probably better than shaft. I'd also ditch the vampgaze and keep that jalals on instead.

There are some meatier weapons floating around in 1.10 than baranars star as well. Stormlash, grief, botd are good 1H options. For 2 hands, tomb reaver is good and windhammer is ok as well. I'd also try to upgrade a better rare ring than carrion, perhaps with some mana leech. Upgrade your merc weapon to reapers toll (chance to cast decrep and respectable damage).

Focus on getting a good weapon for yourself first, it's the most important (and probably most expensive).

5. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

i swear i posted to this before you guys... guess it didnt work o_O

gear options:
    rings:angelic ring/raven

ammy: angelic ammy (you need the ar)

armor:stone armor, free synergy to fireclaws/valor (not the greatest IMO)/enigma ( low str, decent def= lots more life)

shield: ber ss or a - req/resist ss (more life)
    belt:

weapon: i really suggest the 105% ias caddy (1 shael 3x ed/ias) its a 5 fpa attack with pretty decent damage

belt: verdungoes/hsaurus

boots: war travelers/hsaurus/IK boots

gloves: dracs are fine ik gloves if lifetap isnt your thing

helmet: jalals (cerebus isnt that great)

my proposed gear:
    2000+ def stone
    shael jalals
    angelic/raven rings
    angelic ammy
    Verdungoes (15% dr)
    - req/stats/resits ss
    dracs/ik gloves
    wartravs/ik boots

then you max werebear, oak, maul, lycanthopy, 1 shockwave, 1 hunger and put rest into summon bear/fireclaws

you get a free synergy boost to fireclaws and you also charge up maul and use fireclaws for more AR and the damage carries over (not the stun though)

I would aim for 5000 life (you're not a vitabear)
    and should get around 25k defense
    i cant predice damage or ar though

you can tweak around with it

6. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

wrong, bud. the stun from maul DOES carry over.

--welt

7. druidofdestruction

thx I had no idea that DR was capped, I have never really tried so much dr equipment before on 1 char lol.

i have been trying to get around to getting another ring better than carrion
    would u guys recommend using dwarf star as well? in wearform with sage it could end up being quite an extra chunk, or not worth it?

and atm bstar is the only descent 1h weap i have i cant really afford a botd atm either so i need something else, but i will probably keep it on switch against phys immunes.

I appreciate all the help guys if u can keep the options coming ill take some time mfing and trading lol

8. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

wow, really, awesome

9. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

sorry tor, I wasn't trying to be arrogant. I know you are a big wolf kinda guy, but anyways. on the charge attacks (maul/feral), the "variable" mods are the ones that carry over, hence ferals leech/rw and mauls damage/stun. I agree with most of your advice for him, but it would seem that he is making a pvm bear, so some of the advice might not be so great.
    Bears have such crap block rates that for pvm, I would suggest a nice big damage 2 hander (I like a 3 shaeled reaver), but upped shaeled ribcracker, dual shaeled ik maul, ebotd gpa/gt, etc. are all awesome choices for end game (and leveling). One point shockwave, fireclaws, HoW, Maul, werebear, and Lycanthropy are all the usual maul/fireclaw things. stone is an excellent armor, but make sure you have some nice resist charms and stuff. Umed jalals is a great, as is highlords (big lightning resist), and other mods to look out for:: dracs (lifetap is awesome for pvm, but not absolutely necessary), +attack rating (gogo ravenfrost). If you are wanting to pvp, then maybe you should contact me (assuming us east) and I can give you some advice. I have the most successful mauler that i know of and I can actually stun lock these days (hard, but still very possible). Bears make excellent characters, so don't let newbs saying that "bears suck" dissuade you. Just listen to some of the advice from these forums and you will have a nice enjoyable character.

--welt

10. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

no problem dude, i just said that cuz i learned somethign new