Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The ultimate PvP Guide. From Beginner to Ear Cutter.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Sint Nikolaas, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

The ultimate PvP Guide. From Beginner to Ear Cutter.

For the lazy people:
    Post 1: Introduction to the writers, Introduction to the Guide, Rules and Clarifications.
    Post 2: Introduction to the characters and builds. FHR setups.
    Post 3: Bow Amazon Guide.
    Post 4: Javelin Amazon Guide.
    Post 5: Trap Assassin Guide.
    Post 6: Bone Necromancer Guide.
    Post 7: Whirlwind Barbarian Guide.
    Post 8: Templar Paladin Guide.
    Post 9: Vindicator Paladin Guide.
    Post 10: Blizzard Sorceress Guide.
    Post 11: Fury Rabies Wolf Druid Guide.
    Post 12: Usefull Items, Mods and Builds.
    Post 13: FAQ. How does a PvP Game works.
    Post 14: FAQ. Various Questions.
    Post 15: Thanks.

How to get into dueling. Guide.

Table of contents:
    Introduction to the writers.
    Introduction to the guide.
    Rules and clarifications.
    Characters and builds.
    Useful items, item mods and builds.
    FAQ.
    Thanks.

Introduction to the writers.

Hello everyone, it’s Sint. I’ve been running around the world of Diablo for quite some years now and am happy to say that it isn’t boring me yet. One of the main reasons that Diablo hasn’t lost it’s appeal to me is the dueling scenery. I don’t want to say that I’m an expert dueler or extremely well trained, but I’ve just been around the duel scene for quite some time both online (although that has been a very long time ago) as in single player trough TCP/IP. This means that, even though I can’t ‘own’ everyone with my elite dueling build, I can hold my own and know how to work the magic even with underpowered or ill equipped characters. The reason I started writing the ‘guide’ is kind of a two fold. First I want more people to come to the duel scene so I can duel them (selfish), but I also have seen a lot of people that want to duel but really don’t know how to begin. This guide is for those people. This guide will probably have some additions or contradictions when it’s posted, but so much the better. It will only show that even though I’ve been around, I’m still a newbie and others can correct me.
    I started this project, although I’ve called upon the help of other SP duelers for writing pieces of the guide and of course correcting me where I went wrong... They’ll introduce them self alongside the character builds they have written.
    Alright, you want to do some dueling? Read on!

Introduction to the guide.

Before I go into anything I would like to clarify some things. While writing that little intro I didn’t use the word ‘PvP’. That is because it’s an abbreviation and I didn’t want to scare people already. However, while you read on you’ll be more likely to find the word ‘PvP’ then ‘dueling’ because they mainly mean the same and PvP is shorter. PvP means Player versus Player. When you play the game like it’s intended you’re playing PvM, Player versus Monster. What could be better though, then finding a monster that can think for itself, not only trying to kill you, but also trying to outsmart you. Finding a way to beat every opponent while they are trying to do the same to you gives great satisfaction even though it will take some time before you’ll actually do it.

I also would like to say this up front. Probably a big reason why people don’t get into PvP is because they think PvP is all about having the best gear. People that are rich have better items and will kill someone who isn’t rich at all. Well, you’re right. However you’re only right for a small part. It’s true that you need some good items to compete in the PvP scene, but it’s not all those high end runewords or extreme uniques. Probably some of the most hard to find items per PvP characters are the charms. Skill charms are somewhat hard to come by, but when you put some effort into it you can start rerolling charms and trade skillers. You’ll see in this guide that you can get by with a lot of PvP builds by just gear you can easily get from Mephisto. It is of course true that once you want to infiltrate the PvP scene and build the most ‘godly’ dueler that can take on everyone out there with ease, you’ll need some high end gear that is expensive. We won’t go into that aspect, since you’ll just be starting out here, but it nice to have a goal. As I’m writing this guide I still have plenty of goals and I don’t have a lot of high end runewords (yes I have some, but not too many) and still I’m enjoying PvP thoroughly.

In short, a glossary, under rules and clarifications I’ll take a look at the generally accepted rules that exist in the SP PvP games. The rules are important to look at because they affect every player and more importantly they affect the build you’re going to pick and play. In characters and builds we’re going to take a look at quite a few builds. I’m going to list the builds per character and try to find at least a couple per character that can do fine without a hefty dose of richness. In useful items, item mods and goals I’m going to take a look at how you could build a dueling stash with items that are very useful to have. What comes to mind for example is the Angelic combo where any character that needs attack rating would wear angelics ring and amulet to get the +12 per character level bonus to AR. I’m going to see what mods are useful to have and what items can fit multiple characters. We’ll head home with a FAQ that answers a lot of known questions and things that might not be mentioned yet in the guide. Good luck reading and remember to have fun.

Rules and clarification.

Copy/paste from the PvP thread’s first post:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=400848

Questions about dueling in general

Q: Will I lose experience when I die?
    A: No experience is lost when you're killed by another player. Just try not to let a stray quill rat finish you off if you're stuck at 1 hp.

Q: How do the different mods affect PvP?
    A: With 1.11, the RW's granted by the RWM have become useable even in a game hosted by a vanilla player. If the game host specifies vanilla, however, please leave your RW items at home if you intend on joining with a RWM character. As far as 'taint' goes, my personal feeling is that it's a non-issue when it comes to duel games. The characters aren't gaining anything in the form of items, gold, or experience (except the host who usually clears the field of monster beforehand) and will generally leave the game in the exact same state that they came in.

Q: Will my *insert character here* do well?
    A: Generally speaking, the best PvP characters are those made and equipped with PvP specifically in mind rather than a normal PvM character. Nevertheless, you can get a general feel of what does and doesn't work by reading through the rules. If you're still not sure, join a game and find out firsthand.

PvP Rules
    These are the generally accepted rules for PvP that try to make it fair for a variety of characters and players. In any given game, however, the host may set his or her own rules that may differ from those listed below. In any case try to respect the host's wishes, or create your own game with your own rules if you so desire.

General Rules
    * Please try to be polite, so don't town guard, corpse guard, steal gold, etc.
    * High level dueling takes place in Nightmare difficulty, low level dueling takes place in Normal.
    * Potions, wells, shrines and mercenaries are not allowed.
    * The only minions allowed (with the exception of the Amazon’s decoy) are those that can be summoned in town. Other minions, like the Necromancer’s revives, skeletons or magi, are not allowed.
    * Duels only start when both parties have clearly stated their readiness.
    * Characters requiring arrows or bolts must have their full supply on their character (in their hand, inventory or Horadric Cube). They will not be allowed to return to town if they run out of arrows or bolts during a duel, although extra quivers may be dropped just inside town to facilitate easier replenishment between duels.
    * Leaving the Blood Moor is a loss for you, or your team (whichever applies)
    * In a team duel, you must stay in town if you die until the duel is over.

Equipment Rules

* Bugged, hacked or duped items cannot be used – 1.07 crafted items are included in this category.
    * All “1.07/1.08 vita†items like Arkaine’s Valor, Harlequin’s Crest, Baranar’s Star and Gerke’s Sanctuary are not allowed. The 1.09 or 1.10 versions of these items are acceptable, however.
    * Items with the “Slows Target by X%†modifier are not allowed on physical-damage attackers (for example, Cleglaw’s Claw or Blackhorn’s Face). A caster character like a Necromancer or Sorceress, however, can use Blackhorn’s Face or other items with the “Slows Target by X%†modifier if they want.
    * Items with the “Knockback†modifier are not allowed on any character class. Skills that provide a knockback effect (for example, Smite, Bash, Charge or Leap Attack) are still allowable.
    * Total Life Replenish from items and skills combined is limited to 25.
    * Poison damage is limited to 200 from items, per player. Poison damage from skills (for example, Venom or Poison Nova) is allowed in any amount.
    * All duellers may use items that provide auras, with the exception of the “Doom†runeword as it provides the Holy Freeze aura.
    * Each character is only allowed to wear two sources of +max resist/absorb per element. For poison, Poison Length Reduction gear will count as absorb. For example, you may wear 2 Ravenfrosts or 1 Ravenfrost and a Guardian Angel, but not 2 Ravenfrosts and a Guardian Angel. Items like Thundergod's Vigor with both +max resist and absorb will count as both of your two sources for that element, so you may not wear Thundergod's Vigor in conjunction with another item that provides +max resist lightning, +max resist all, or +lightning absorb. Finally, putting points into the paladin's passive resist skills will count as a source of +max resist.
    * The Rising Sun amulet is not allowed on any character class.
    * Blackoak Luna is not allowed on any character class.

Faster Run/Walk Restrictions
    Maximum of 110% frw combined from skills, gear, and charms. For example, a Barbarian with 30% frw from Increased Speed can have no more than 80% frw from gear and charms. The skills that give frw are Frenzy, Feral Rage, Increased Speed, Vigor, and Burst of Speed. If you're going to be using any of these skills, plan your frw accordingly.

Banned Skills

The following skills are not to be used at any stage of a duel. They may have points invested in them as a pre-requisite for higher-tier skills or for synergy benefits.

* Lifetap
    * Amplify Damage
    * Iron Maiden
    * Bone Prison (Necromancer)
    * Decrepify (Necromancer)
    * Blessed Hammer and Concentration at the same time (Paladin)
    * Holy Bolt (Paladin)
    * Holy Freeze (Paladin)
    * Blaze (Sorceress)
    * Teleport (Sorceress)

These items may not be used in the form of class skills, o-skills granted by items, charges, or chance to cast when striking.

Skill Restrictions

The following skills are capped or have limitations regarding their use in duels.

* Bone Armor (Necromancer) - It cannot be cast more than once per duel.
    * Cyclone Armor (Druid) - It cannot be cast more than once per duel.

Well, that was the copy/paste.. now let’s go take a closer look.

I’ll skip all the Q/A and some of the general rules as they speak for them self but I’ll lift some other stuff.

First to notice is the rule on the minions. You can’t go out with your fishymancer and have a full skeleton army. It won’t do you any good to try, trust me, but your skeletons can’t be summoned in town. This will bring out golems for necromancers, mostely clay golems for the slow and the occasional fire golem, valkyries for amazons and she can also summon a decoy which will probably just stand around, shadows for assassins and raven, a vine, sages and wolves or a bear for a druid. That’s it. That’s most of them anyway.
    Second are some modifiers on your items. Slow is a big no-no. One item that is used often which has slow (which means you’ve got to be careful with it) is arachnids mesh. The clay golem slows too, however as he’s not an item he’s allowed. Knock back isn’t allowed either, however if you use leap as a barb you’re quite welcome to use it to push people aside. Just don’t use it on your gloves.
    Now I’ll just ask you to read the comments on absorb and resists as they are very important to us. Also take a look at the skills that are banned. Don’t go running around with a necro casting bone prisons and decrep all over as you’ll soon find out that no one wants to duel you.
    The o-skills are interesting too. O-skills stands for off-skills or off-character skills. O-skills are skills that your character normally doesn’t have. You can get charges of skills by wearing items and some items have o-skills as a standard like Wolfhowl, the barbarian helm with druid o-skills. Generally using o-skill in a duel is considered bad manner. You can’t be a paladin and start shooting out guided arrows using widowmaker. (Important though: I’ve seen too many people who do this... sigh, just ask them nicely not to use the o-skills.) Alright, normally the rule on o-skills is this: If you’re character is build around it you can use them. Like being a wolfbarb or a WWsin. You can’t go running around with a druid and have a wand of lifetap on switch, it’s BM in more then one way. Also note, in the rules is the use of items that grand aura’s allowed. This means you can use a Beast axe for the fanaticism aura (like we will..) but also for example a sorc with an insight staff or an amazon with a harmony bow.

The standard Bad Manner (BM) rules is a much shorter list.
    No potions, mercs, wells, or shrines.
    No recasting Cyclone and Bone Armor.
    No minions that cannot be summoned in town with the exception of Decoy.
    No Holy Freeze, Decrepify, or Bone Prison.
    No mass slow (>10%), no mass poison from items (>200), no mass replenish (>25).
    No curse charges (this includes Slow Missiles). Chance to cast is acceptable.
    No overabsorb. Limit 2 items per element with the standard ban on Rising Sun and Black Oak.

Basically it's the minimum required to have interesting and somewhat balanced duels. You'll notice that the basics are the same as the GM rules though.

Everything pretty much speaks for itself I guess. Let’s get to the more important part.

2. Sint Nikolaas

Characters and Builds

Right, what we’ve all been waiting for. I’ll list at least one build per character class but will try to give more. I will list builds that are generally either easy to handle in PvP or builds that just don’t require much gear to be effective. Remember, I’ll take a look at the budget side, but I will assume you have something like a stormshield lying around. Note this though, I will mostly aim for the defensive side when it comes to PvP. If an enemy can’t touch you, you will have the upper hand.

Before the guides I give a quick glossary on the character itself and a note on Faster Hit Recovery. FHR will be discussed later on under ‘useful items, item mods and builds’, but I’ll give a quick summary here.
    Normally if you get hit in real life you have to recover from that hit (I think.. I’ve never been hit.. shhh). In Diablo the same mechanism works. If you take a big hit based on a percentage of your life (1/12) you will go into hit recovery. During that time you cannot move, attack or do anything (but block I guess). The general idea is that this is bad, you want to move and kill other people. Luckily in D2 you can find items with FHR on them improving your recovery rate. You have to get to specific breakpoints which will be discussed per character, but the main point is to get a chunk of FHR to keep your character out of Stunlock. Stunlock means you’re stunned (you can see this by getting two white ‘swirleys’ over your character) and while you’re stunned you go into hit recovery every time someone or something hits you. Trap assassins are known for this ‘feature’, where they Mindblast you once to stun you and then let the traps fire away. Each time a trap hits you you’re sent into hit recovery.

Amazon

An amazon has a few very powerful skills, however you’d have to be very carefully on choosing as some might not be what you’re going after. I found that playing amazons mostly meant a running duel. While she is strong, her attacks are ranged or caster and this means on a more budget level that you’ll be running a lot. Don’t get me wrong, one of my best duelers was an amazon and I ran like crazy.

About faster hit recovery. An amazon has a basic FHR breakpoint of 11 frames. This means that when someone hits you after stunning (or just hits you with big damage) you’ll go into hit recovery and it’ll be slow (11 frames means about half a second). Important breakpoints to keep in mind are 32 (7 frames), 52 (6 frames) and 86 (5 frames). I think 7 frames is still a bit slow, but you should be able to manage with it.

Builds. There are only two builds I recommend for a starting amazon. And one of those is quite hard. A choice between bow and javelin.

Assassin

Fast, dangerous and female. Do you need more? The assassins in the dueling scene today are as versatile as you can find them. They vary from top of the line duelers, to whacky builds that can still manage. Assassins are throughout the latest patch best known for their traps in PvP. They can be extremely fast, pack great damage and be safe at the same time. Building an Assassin will require some work to get ‘in to it’, but once you do you have a very nice dueler which even at budget can hold her own.

FHR for Assassins. Your assassin starts out with a FHR of 9 frames. Meaning that if you don’t pack any fhr each time you’re taking a big hit or a hit while being stunned you take 9 frames to recover from it. You don’t want that. Now how to improve, well the breakpoints are quite nice. What you should aim for is either 48 FHR giving 5 frame hit recovery, or 86 FHR giving 4 frame recovery. If you play ultra defensively you might get away with 27 FHR giving 6 frames, but basically you want to try to get 86.

Necromancer

Who isn’t attracted by the darker side of magic. Using bones, venoms and your opponents own forces to kill them. Necromancers are a lot of fun to play and they can compete in PvP at the highest levels. Indeed if you would have all the gear available to you the bonemancer (or sometimes lovingly called ‘the boner’) is among the top 5 PvP’ers available. Now there are actually not that many routes you can take with a Necromancer and given the rule restrictions and the (more notably) probably gear selections only one came to mind. The strongest.

FHR is very important for a Necromancer as he has the third worst frame recovery of all classes (right after the Sorceress and the Druid in human form). You start out at a 13 frame hit recovery. Get hit hard or get hit while stunned and you’ll take 13 frames to recover from it. Lucky for us you can improve it quite easily. Your aim would be to get 86% FHR to reach a 6 frame recovery. You can get by with 56% FHR for 7 frames, but please don’t go lower as you will definitely get stunlocked.

Barbarian

Everyone wants to wield a big weapon and smash someone’s brains in, preferably while shouting at the top of your lungs. Good news: You can. However you have to limit your shouting and consider different weapons then the big hurty sticks... but you’ll get by. Barbarians are famed in PvP, they have been very consistent at the top of the ladder throughout the years and in whatever circumstance you might find your Barbarian you can always find a way to slice some ears. There are quite a few good Barbarian builds out there to make a decent dueler, but the most reliable build is also the most dangerous one. It’s pretty much the most amusing skill a barbarian can use too. Go forth and dance your opponents to their deaths.

Hit recovery is of course important in duels. You don’t want to get stunlocked if you’re just running around a bit. However you’re in luck, WW is a non interruptable skill, meaning you can’t get stunlocked in the midst of a WW. Which beasically means you can’t get locked at any time, because every time you get close enough for someone to try to lock you up (trappers for instance) you should either be in the air using leap or in mid WW trying to kill them. You should still have some FHR. You start out at a 9 frame hit recovery rate, meaning if you take a huge hit (and it would have to be seriously huge for a barb) or take a hit while being stunned you take 9 frames to recover. The amount of FHR goes up from 7, 15, 27, 48, 86 to 200 to reach 8 trough 3 frames respectively. Of course 3 frame hitrecovery can’t be reached and should not be attempted. However, 86 is a very nice aim to set. You’ll be likely not to reach that aim but getting to 48 will probably do. You might be able to get by with 27, or even 15 but you have to learn how to play first. Note that you’ll probably wear an Arreat’s face which has a chunk of FHR, so don’t worry about it too much.

TAKE NOTE: Building a WW barb takes time and wealth. Sadly enough this is probably the most expensive of the ‘cheaper’ duelers out there. Especially the weapon selection is limited as you want to hit the desired breakpoints while still maintain high damage. The RWM is recommended to get a nice started weapon, but besides that it gets expensive extremely fast.

Paladin

The paladin. Paladins are known for versatility, you see one but you’ll never know what the build is until you see it in action. The Paladin has a series of very powerful attacks; Zeal, Smite, Charge, Hammers or FoH. Wait, wait.. I hear you say ‘’what.. only five?’’, yes only five, but this is also the strong point as a paladin can make his choices and most often combine more then one attack into a build. Also the various uses of aura’s can often give the paladin an edge on the offence ánd defence. As for the starting duelers or those on budget, you’re probably best off with a build that is pure. If you want a build that immediately goes mixing up Smite, Charge and FoH you’ll not only need a bit of dueling experience, but also very nice gear (don’t get me started on a Hammer/FoH). Your best bet will be either a Smiter or a FoH.
    Paladins tend to have nice names, in this case a Vindicator and a Templar respectively.

On FHR. A paladin has a base FHR of 9 frames. That means that if you take enough damage to make you go in hit recovery or if someone attacks with a stun attack you’ll need 9 frames to recover of it rendering you helpless. The breakpoints on getting better FHR are 15% fhr - 7 frames, 27% fhr - 6 frames 48% fhr - 5 frames 86% fhr - 4 frames. 7 frames is still a bit slow but you can get away with it, the best is to aim for 86% FHR.

Sorceress

There she is, the character that can probably produce the highest amount of damage available. The sorceress in PvP generally comes in three shapes, a Cold, a Fire and a Lightning based girl. You have the odd hybrids, but normally you’re a pure breed. All the sorceresses have a couple of things in common. They are heavy hitters, can drain someone’s life orb within a second and even one hit kill someone easily if he comes unprepared. She’s also very fast in Bad Manner PvP as she has the natural teleport ability. However also the down sides are noted. Of the duelers the has fairly low life and is generally a bit fragile. You have to prepare yourself well if you want to build a sorceress, keep in mind all the types of duelers you will come across and protect yourself for all of them. Making a glass cannon will work on occasion, but mostly you’re toast, even if you do 50k damage.
    This deserves a separate note: If someone is playing bad manner and over absorbs, stacks resists and get +max items he can negate your damage completely. This won’t happen in SP PvP, we set rules that made sure it won’t happen, but a little warning still has to be given.

About the FHR. FHR on a sorceress is very important, you’re a heavy hitter but if you’re standing around recovering from hit after hit you won’t have any use for your nice damage. The sorceress has the worst base hit recovery of every character in the game (well, besides an act 3 mercenary) however the amount of FHR needed to get better frames can be attained well enough. You start out with a 15 frame base hit recovery, meaning you’ll stand around for 15 frames after a big hit or after a hit while being stunned. Your aim is to get to 8 frames (60 FHR) or 7 frames (86 FHR), where 7 is of course better. I recommend against going with slower frames (42 FHR for 9 frames or even 30 FHR for 10 frames) as you have to stay mobile during your entire duel and are likely to have to run away from time to time.

Druid

A master of disguise. A druid nowadays can take many powerful forms in PvP, summoning sturdy pets, throwing tornadoes or just going after your foes with fangs and claws. The druid is a very versatile class that will give you chances to explore the character yourself, work on preferences and doing quite well in PvP along the road. You’ll have trouble against some classes, but you’ll have a fun time in most cases. Shape shifters generally are the preferred class if you’re after a solid but not too expensive build. A fully decked out wind druid would probably be the best druid, but try making one without enigma and you’ll see why we recommend against it.

Well, the FHR on the druid is of course different from other classes. While being a wolf gives you great FHR, being a bear gives less. A wolf starts out at 7 frames (which is very nice in it self) and goes from there to 3 frames by getting 86% FHR. Getting 86 FHR is often recommended, but you can get by with less, 42 FHR will give you a 4 frames recovery and 20 FHR (this is a bit slow for a wolf though) will give 5 frames. A bear on the other hand starts out with 13 frames so he does need quite a bit FHR. The aim is to get 86% FHR to get to 6 frames. After that you can maybe get by with 7 frames (54 FHR), but try to get that 86 breakpoint.

3. Sint Nikolaas

Bowazon

Well, this is the one I wouldn’t recommend, but as it’s quite a fun build you should be able to make use of her. Very important here is a lot of FR/W since you’ll be running a lot. Also remember to have a shield on switch alongside a dagger of javelin (as your blocking speed with swinging weapons is like watching slow motion). A very nice javelin would be titan’s revenge as it has 30% FR/W as well as stats to keep your blocking up, a nice dagger would be wizardspike for the resists. A stormshield would be the best, as it has a load of damage reduce as well as quite nice blocking. If you want to go blocking only try to get a Whistan’s guard and socket it with an Eld. That’s your switch.
    Your main gear would be about killing and surviving at the same time. I highly recommend getting a bunch of open wound mods as they pretty much rock on a ranger.

A note about the damage. Your bowazon will probably at first won’t do too much damage or won’t seem to be doing it. This will mainly be because your opponents have max block and damage reduce. Your main source of damage will be open wounds. Try to get it as high as possible and try to reach level 90. At level 90 and higher your OW will be a real pain.

The stats:
    The stats are pretty straight forward.

Strength – Enough strength to equip all your equipment. Take note that if you have strength from other sources you can include those (like strength charms). Don’t forget thought that once you use this strength you can’t take it off.
    Dexterity – Normally Guided arrow doesn’t require AR to hit so no dex. However if you have a shield on switch (which I recommend) you need enough dexterity to achieve max block with it.
    Vitality – Every point you can spare.
    Energy – None.

The gear.
    On the gear we’re focussing on survivability first, kill speed second. The gear comes in various choices and I’ll list a few. Note that, if you don’t have any of them or miss the pair of gloves I recommend, you can always rely on your instinct and pick the best pair to fulfil your needs. I’d always look for FHR, FRW, Resists and stats.

Helm:
    Rock stopper sallet. Great helmet, lots of resists, DR and FHR. Not much you can ask for else.
    Harlequin crest. Also nice, however not the best for this build. +skills won’t help much, but the DR and a chunk of life and mana always help out of course.
    Valkyrie wing. Despite expecting anyone to have one before the patches, I still think the helm is alright, FR/W and FHR along side a skill or two is still decent enough.

Amulet:
    The cat’s eye. One of the greatest amulets. Increased speed, a load of dex and most importantly an incredible amount of FR/W.
    Highlord’s wrath. This one’s nice too, increased speed and very nice deadly strike alongside some lightning resists make a good piece of equipment.
    Mara’s kaleidoscope. A load of resists and some stats. Pretty decent.
    Other amulets. If you want to go with rares or even magical ones, remember that the power of the bowazon isn’t in +skills. Try to get one with good stats or high resists. Don’t worry about AR, guided doesn’t miss.

Armor:
    Duress runeword. Not that hard to make and the returns are just great. Seriously a very nice armor. FHR, OW, resists and some CB.. sweet.
    Treachery runeword. This one is quite cheap and the returns aren’t too high, but it does shine when put to good use. Incredible IAS, some FHR and cold resist are good enough.
    Twitchthroe studded leather. Yeah that’s right.. a great piece of equipment. You don’t have to worry about defence, so the returns are quite nice. FHR, IAS and a healthy dose of stats are good, but don’t forget the increased blocking which really helps out.
    Crow caw. Just a light version of the Duress.
    Shaftstop. Not use too often. It gives great DR and nice life, but other then that you’d be better off with something else.
    Duriel’s shell. I put this one here because it actually has pretty decent stuff on it. The resists are good, some strength and life but also CBF! This is important. Normally you can get it elsewhere, but if you don’t, don’t forget this armor then.

Gloves:
    Bloodfist heavy gloves. These are great. FHR, IAS and a chuck of life.
    Immortal king gloves. Don’t use these if you don’t plan on wearing the boots. The stats on them are nice, but along side the boots they give 25% IAS which is more then any other glove can give you. Against, use them only with the boots.

Boots:
    Goreriders. Most people favour these because of the decent FR/W, somewhat low requirements and the triple hurting mods.
    IK boots. Use these in combination with IK gloves only. They have really nice FR/W, but other then that they only make up for the gloves.
    Aldurs boots. I don’t see a lot of people mentioning them, but they actually are quite nice. Good FR/W and some resists here.
    Sandstorm treks. This is another pair of boots to keep in mind. The stats on it aren’t too great, but along side the moderate FR/W, stats and poison resist you get a very nice FHR.
    Shadowdancers. These are a force to be reckoned with. However they are somewhat hard to find and have high requirements. The returns are great though, FR/W, FHR and a chuck of dex.

Rings.
    Ravenfrost. Most people’s only source of CBF. The dex on the makes a good ring as does the cold absorb. Don’t worry about the AR though, you won’t need it.
    Dwarfstar. Not alot of people use it. Nice fire absorb and a healthy dose of life do make a nice ring though.
    Wisp projector. Use it for the lightning absorb.. nothing else.
    Rare rings. These are very nice. Just try to get one which either has high resists or high stats (or both of course). Don’t bother about leech, as you won’t do it in pvp.

Belt.
    Verdungo’s hearty cord. FHR, vit and DR in one. Really nice belt.
    Thundergod’s vigor. Most people use it only against lightning based opponents (as it should be of course), however wearing it all the time also is a decent idea. Good stats on it.
    Trang Oul’s belt. Somewhat hard to get, but it’s a decent one. CBF is great alongside quite a bit of life and mana.
    IK belt. Could be used even without the other pieces. Has nice resists on it, but really shines in combination with the gloves and boots.

Weapon.
    I saved this one to last as it isn’t easy.
    Widowmaker. Normally other characters use it because it gives them (bad mannered) guided arrow too, but that’s no reason you can’t use it. It’s somewhat slow but the extra skills and deadly strike make up for it.
    Eaglehorn. This is quite a nice bow. It offers some of the best damage that can be dealt alongside nice dex.
    Goldstrike arch. This won’t do the damage of the others, but you could always upgrade it (the requirements would be high though!). The reason I list it here is that it’s very fast. If you go the OW route and try to bleed your opponents dry then this might just be the bow you’d need.
    Harmony (runeword). Best made in a Bladebow, Great bow or matriarchal bow for the speed. This runeword doesn’t help much with your damage as it has not a lot of ED. But the main problem with the thing is that it doesn’t have any IAS. This means picking one of the three bows listed as they have the fastest base attack speed. You’ll need a lot of IAS to get it shooting at a decent rate, however when you do the level 10 vigor aura really helps you running around.

Speed breakpoints. Here you can find the speed breakpoints for all the weapons listed. I recommend to be as fast as possible without being reckless. Also getting at least to 8 FPA (frames per attack) is often recommended, however that sometimes may be hard for us. Remember, putting a shael in your bow already helps a bunch.

Widowmaker ward bow:
    no ias - 13 fpa – 1.9 aps (attacks per second)
    10 – 12 – 2
    20 – 11 – 2.2
    40 – 10 – 2.5
    65 – 9 – 2.7
    105 – 8 – 3.1

Eaglehorn crusader bow:
    No ias – 15 fpa – 1.6 aps
    5 – 14 – 1.7
    15 – 13 – 1.9
    25 – 12 – 2
    35 – 11 – 2.2
    60 – 10 – 2.5
    90 – 9 – 2.7
    150 – 8 – 3.1

Goldstrike arch gothic bow:
    No ias – 11 fpa – 2.2 aps
    10 – 10 – 2.5
    40 – 9 – 2.7
    100 – 8 – 3.1

Harmony Blade bow, Great bow or Matriarchal bow:
    No ias – 12 fpa – 2 aps
    10 – 11 – 2.2
    25 – 10 – 2.5
    45 – 9 – 2.7
    75 – 8 – 3.1
    145 – 7 – 3.5

Building your amazon.
    The skills are pretty straight forward.

Bow tree - 24
    Guided arrow – 20
    Pre-req’s – 4

Javelin and Spear tree – 0
    However if you want to spend 20 in lightning fury for leveling purpose you’re of course more then welcome to.

Passive and magic tree – Assuming no +skills – 65 (pure bow) or 52 (lightning fury)
    Here’s where it becomes tricky. I suggest getting your dodge, avoid and evade up to 50% at least. However if you have some +skills that of course means you can spend less solid points.
    Dodge – 11 after skills.
    Avoid – 7 after skills.
    Evade – 11 after skills.
    Valk – 17 after skills. I suggest getting a valk even though it won’t help you much in PvP. She’s great for leveling purposes and you can use her in PvP to try to distract opponents.
    Critical strike – 1 or 16 after skills. If you have chosen lightning fury you don’t have the points to take it to 16, if you haven’t .. well.. around level 16 the skills diminishing returns really kick in hard.
    Penetrate – 0 or 1. If you went with lightning fury spend this point here to get to pierce.
    Pierce – 0 or 1. If you went with lightning fury this should help you out.
    Prereq’s – 3.

You can spend the rest as you see fit.. Just don’t go putting points into useless skills as jab which you’ll never use. Think about it before you act.

Your inventory.
    Here’s the best part. A bowazon doesn’t really need anything to be in her inventory, which is one of the main reasons to choose her to be one of the budget pvp’ers. However if you put together your amazon and equipped her to your best, you’ll probably notice that she won’t have max resist or won’t run as fast as you’d want her to, or won’t even have the desired FHR breakpoint. This is where the charms come in. Small charms are something great, they can have up to 11 resist in single elements or up to 5 for all. They can get 5 FHR and (nowadays) 3% FRW. Try to hit the maximum resist level (normally 75) in Hell (!), the best FHR breakpoint you want and the most FR/W possible. Take a look at the rules and see how much FR/W you can carry around for a GM duel. Try to reach that point. Don’t worry if you don’t though.. but of course more is better.

Your stash.
    This is actually very important and should never be forgotten. This is where your character hides her special equipment. This is where you can differ yourself from other characters and counter anyone out there. Normally in your stash you would have ‘’pre-buff’’ gear. This means that for instance a barbarian would have a lot of +skills items to boost his BO up before he switches back to his battling gear. This is also the place where you’ll have your resistance gear lying around. Resistance gear is very important for every dueler. If you face a sorceress for the first time you’ll know why.. same with a FoH paladin. Resistance gear comes in various shapes. The most common ones are extra absorb and max resists. Others are overstacking, I’ll explain this last even though I’ll make comments about it in between.
    Extra absorb and max resist. You should have equipment to counter any element. That means Fire, Cold, Lightning and Poison.
    I’ll start with the last one because that’s the easiest. Not a lot of people use poison damage, this however also means that not a lot of people have a good way to counter it. There is one item that can change that though, in the form of Death’s gloves. These gloves have crazy resists and most importantly poison length reduce. When you’re wearing the gloves you should consider using the belt too as the combined set bonuses are quite nice.
    Fire on the other hand is a bit easier to counter. One of the items I like to use here is a Nokozan relic. This will give you up to 85% resist and some FHR as a bonus. I recommend them over the hotspur boots which are, if you solely look at the fire mods, a bit better, but you’ll lose out on FR/W easily there. You won’t have to overstack against fire users.
    Lightning. Here’s a twofold. You’ll have the lightning damagers on one hand that deal very nice lightning damage, on the other hand you’ll have the lightning damagers that deal very decent lightning damage but lower your resist like crazy. Well, one item is pretty much mandatory to counter lightning, a thundergods belt. It gives upto 85% resist and absorbs quite a bit too. However if you’re only wearing this you will still be pummelled by lightning users. You should be able to overstack. Keep either a 4 socketed monarch in your stash filled with perfect topazes or a 4 socketed armor filled with resist jewels.
    Cold. There’s really only one build that can do good cold damage, however the sorceress is known for it and by god will she do good damage. There are several ways to counter this. I advice against trying to get +max gear. Even though you’ll have up to 95% resist she’ll just lower it like crazy (cold mastery) and it won’t do you any good. Just try to get good absorb (two ravenfrosts spring to mind) and again a 4 sapphire shield should help a lot. A 4 socketed armor with jewels is again a viable option if you can attain at least the same amount of resists as the shield (160).
    Overstacking. I mentioned it a couple of times now. Overstacking generally means countering your opponents negative resists. To take an example of a FoH paladin. Let’s just say that he does 6000 lightning damage with conviction on at –150 resists. This will obviously hurt you. If you’re wearing tgods only and have 85% resist he’ll do the following damage:
    6000/6 = 1000
    85% - 150 = -65
    1000 * 1,65 = 1650 dmg.
    1650 – 20 (absorb) = 1630 Knowing the average amazons life span this means instant death.
    However if you carry around a resist shield to counter the conviction it’ll be:
    6000/6 = 1000
    85% - 0 = 85
    1000 * 0,15 = 150 dmg.
    150 – 20 = 130 Which is almost an impossible difference.
    So overstacking means that you have gear in your stash that helps you stack your resists over your normal max. Even though you already have 85% resist you pack another 160 to make sure that even after your opponent lowers it (a lot) you’re still safe. You should count on every PvP player that does elemental damage to have –nme resists. Even if that don’t have it naturally they will get it from gear (lightning facets give up to –5% for example). Always keep overstack in your stash. I favour the shields as I normally have enough strength to wear a stormshield anyway, but if you have the jewels to make a good armor you might even outstrip the shield with a magical armor like this:

Jeweler's Ornate Plate of the Whale
    Defense: 447
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 170
    Required Level: 47
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x2fd6025a
    +97 to Life
    Socketed (4: 0 used)

Little strategy:
    Keep moving. You’re a ranger, any distance between you and your opponent is good.
    Always remember to pack enough arrows. Normally 350 is good, but if you spray a lot of random shots and notice you’re going trough them fast then you want, just place another stack in your inventory.
    Get that fr/w. It really is key.
    Get that IAS. It really is key.
    Did I mention to keep moving? Seriously you’ll be running a lot.
    Remember to get OW. It hurts a lot and can’t be resisted. It works best at level 90 and higher.
    If you run around not shooting (or running away) get a shield on switch alongside the Titan’s revanche javelin to get block and extra fr/w.

4. Sint Nikolaas

Javazon

A javazon is on many aspects different then a bowazon (of course), however many of the main points stay the same. As an amazon, prepare to run a lot. Get good blocking and try to keep your resists (or single resist if you’re facing a specific opponent) up at any time. In my opinion a javazon is quite a lot easier to build then a bowazon, however learning to duel and kill with her is a different story. Note this though, the javazon I’m about to introduce to you has the ability to kill any opponent in good manner dueling (BM... ew anyway), while live trough any attack. She’ll have incredibly high damage if you have the right gear, but can hold her own if you don’t have it all day long.
    The javazon I recommend is a poizon.

Note about the damage. At first glance the damage seems quite nice, with both the poison skills maxxed you’ll have 10k on one and 6k on the other. However if you take in notice that this is over a duration of time, calculate the PvP penalty and resists it won’t be pretty. However if you get better gear and especially some mentioned gloves and a couple of skills you’ll do double damage easily. I’ll note that a fully decked poizon can get around 125-150k damage. That’s 5k damage per cloud after resists and penalties. (This takes crazy gear though. Note also that my I had a poizon that had around 70k and did incredible.. think about doubling that amount.) Needlessly to say you can drain a lifebulb faster then your own mana bulb when you’re getting better.

The stats:

Strength – Enough strength to equip all your equipment. Take note that if you have strength from other sources you can include those (like strength charms). Don’t forget thought that once you use this strength you can’t take it off.
    Dexterity – Enough to get max block. You need it.
    Energy – None.

The gear.
    The main problem with a poizon is that you need +skills or +poison damage to get good damage. The upside however is that we have an attack that does not require AR to hit and can’t be blocked. That means that you can run around all day not even trying to hit your opponent to get a kill in. (NOTE: It doesn’t work like that though.. just.. exaggerating a bit.) Seriously though, get those skills.

Helm:
    Harlequin crest. One of the best helms out there. It’s also recommended because most people have one lying around anyway. Gives skills, DR and a load or life/mana. Don’t look strange at the mana, you’ll need it.
    Andariel’s Visage. Besides the drawback that is has negative fire resistance, this helm is a beauty. Gives skills, strength and IAS. It also gives a load of poison res, but who uses that right? Oh.. wait..
    Valkyrie Wing. Another good one, I haven’t used it, but the FRW and the FHR alongside the skills (try to get two) makes it pretty nice.
    Rockstopper. As always on the list. Very good defensive helm, no skills but resists, fhr, life and DR to make up for it.
    Peasant crown. A skill, FRW and some life/mana. It’s a mini Harly..

Amulet:
    Cat’s eye. My suggestion. It gives the needed FRW and with a good chuck of dexterity you’ll have an easier time blocking. Don’t overlook the IAS.
    Mara’s. Of course, if you have one, go for it.
    Eye of etlich/highlords. Just listed for the skill.
    Magic/rare amulet – try to get one with skills and second mods. Everything is a bonus.

Armor:
    Bramble. I have to list it because it’s just the best armor out there. It gives a massive boost to your poison damage and the FHR is nothing to sneeze at. It’s probably out of price range though.
    Spirit shroud. Gives a skill and CBF. Not bad, but nothing great either.
    Skin of the Vipermagi. A skill and resists, that’s more like it. Still nothing too great though.
    Duriel’s Shell. A nice defencive armor. It gives good resists, CBF and a chuck of life. The strength on it is just extra.
    Que Haegan’s. A skill and FHR, listed beneath Vipermagi as FHR is easier to get (shael runes) then resists (um runes).
    Naj’s lightplate. Here’s a bit of an unusual choice, it looks decent enough with the skill, life and resists, but it’s a heavy armor and you’ll lose on running speed wearing it. Yes, despite the name.
    Natalya’s shadow. Another unusual one, I’m listing it because besides the decent armor it self it can come with 3 sockets. If you have some poison facets, or just want to be more safe then this one can help.

Gloves:
    Trang-oul’s gloves. Find, trade, beg, burrow or steal them. They are just too good for this build not to have. Increases your damage a load. Oh and some cold resist too.
    Bloodfists. Distant second. Gives great mods of course, but use the trang’s if you have them.
    Rare gloves. I’ll list them because you can find some nice rares that have +2 javelin/spear skills, IAS, resists and stats. However they are very hard to come by and Trang’s still outstrip them.

Belt:
    Arachnid’s mesh. Hard to find or expensive to trade. However it’s the only belt that gives a skill so I figured I’d list it. Don’t worry about it if you don’t have it though.
    Thundergod’s Vigor. A very nice belt. Gives strength and life besides the fact that it counters lightning opponents in the best way possible (+max and absorb).
    Trang oul’s belt. This belt is just nice, if won’t help you out as much either offensively or defensively, however it might help you in picking your other gear as it give CBF. It’s pretty hard to come by though.
    M’avina’s belt. Nothing too spicy besides that one mod. FRW. Did I mention yet that you can’t have too much of it?
    String of ears. Gives DR. Wear it if you don’t have anything better.
    Bladebuckle. Easy to overlook. However it gives strength, dex and FHR. It’s decent, but certainly not best.

Boots:
    Shadowdancers. The best boots. They give good FRW, have excellent FHR and give great dex. However also very hard to come by.
    Sandstorm treks. These are the lighter version of the shadow’s. Still very nice boots but also somewhat hard to get.
    Waterwalks. This one is decent enough on it’s own. Gives FRW, dex, life and a little max fire res. Good enough if you can’t get the above two.
    Tearhaunch. Also a pair of boots people tend to skip. Besides the fact that there are better boots out there you don’t want to underestimate these. All res, FRW as well as a little strength and dex makes a good deal.
    Aldurs boots. If you went with Andariels mask then these boots complement it perfectly. They make up for the lost fire resists as well as give a very nice chunk of FRW. You can obviously wear them if you have gone without Andy’s and put them to good use too. Don’t forget about these.

Shield:
    There are several options however I suggest that you go with max block. This means that you have to get a shield with high block percentage as you don’t want to invest too heavily in dex (as it doesn’t help you in any other way).
    Stormshield. Almost the only choice for this build. It speaks for itself. The high strength requirement actually brings out a nice spot as it will allow you to wear 4-socketed monarchs filled with perfect gems to counter elemental damage.
    Gerke’s Sanctuary. Good shield. Gives good block, DR, resists and some life replenish.
    Moser’s. Three things make it good, it’s common, it has decent resists and it has two holes instead of the normal one. The block percentage is low(ish) though and it doesn’t look good on an amazon. If you don’t care about that, go for it, the extra hole may give you an edge.
    Whistan’s. This shield gives great blocking. Besides that there really is nothing to look at.

Weapon:
    Titan’s revenche. This weapon has all the mods we need. Just get it and be done with it. It gives skills, stats and FRW. You can’t ask for anything more on a javazon. It’s also a nice bonus that they replenish meaning you won’t run out in the middle of a duel.
    Rare/magic. Go for it if you find a nice one. The amazon javelins (maiden javelin etc.) can spawn with +skills too. Try to get one with replenish mod and stats.

Rings:
    Ravenfrost. If you don’t have CBF, use it here. The dex is good to help you block. You won’t need the AR though.
    Stone of Jordan/Bul Kathos weddingband. Both not always available and quite hard to find. However I’ve listed them because they give skills. Use these if you have them.
    Dwarfstar/Whisp Projector. Use these to counter fire or lightning. Remember the rules about absorb though.
    Rare rings. Look for strength, dex and resist. Don’t worry about anything else.

Switch:
    This one is actually quite important. On your switch you want to have a bow. Why? Quite easy. If you have a bow on your switch you can actually lure people out that play defencively or even damage people when you carry some open wounds. You’ll just have one point in guided arrow and you’re on your way. If you’re a bit wealthy and don’t look on an Um rune more or less you can get the fastest bow you can find and socket it with that Um for an extra 25% OW. The key to handling the bow is that it has to be fast. It doesn’t really matter what the damage is or what the extra mods are, it just has to be fast. If you get a magic bow with 40% IAS, then use it over that rare bow which has 320 ED, 10 strength, 15 dex and 24 all resist. You don’t have your bow to run around with, you only need it to make a few shots when your opponent is far (enough) away. The moment you can see your enemy or when it starts attacking you (some opponents can attack you off screen) you don’t want to be caught with your bow out. The problem is that there aren’t any bow’s out with OW that we can use. So it’s either an Um rune or some OW on other gear (that I didn’t list). The trick is also of course to let your opponent think you have OW even if you don’t have it. Just keep a bow on switch and fire a couple of arrow’s when you’re safe.

Magewrath (or widowmaker.. but that has more requirements). It’s not great and doesn’t have OW, but it does give you the guided skill for free meaning you won’t have to put points in it to get there.
    Goldstrike. Listed because of the speed. No OW here though.
    Rogue’s bow. Another nice and fast one. It doesn’t matter it has 5-12 dmg. Again no OW.

Building your amazon.
    A javazon doesn’t require too many skills. This is great as it allows you to have an easier time PvM or maybe surprise your opponent by picking an unexpected skill.

Bow tree. 0-4
    If you went with a bow that has guided arrow on it you don’t have to put any points in the bow tree. If you haven’t just spend enough points to get 1 in guided arrow. Don’t bother maxxing it as you’re not a bowazon. You rely on poison clouds, not on arrows.

Javelin/spear. Minimum 41.
    Poison javelin 20
    Lightning bolt 1 – prereq.
    Plague javelin 20
    Here’s where it’s at. Your poison javelin will be your highest damager, however it will require a lot of time to work too. It’s faster then the plague javelin and it has better range. The plague javelin has shorter range and a timer (meaning you can’t spam them) but they explode in quite a big poison cloud about half a screen away. You’ll be using the plague javelin more then the poison one as it’s easier to lure people into chasing you over the cloud and it does better damage as it requires shorter time. The poison javelin is to catch casters or other fleeing opponents.
    Lightning fury 20 (optional) if you have the free points and want an easier time PvM, put them here.

Passive and Magic. Rest.
    Forget about critical strike, penetrate or pierce. You don’t intent to hit anyone anyway.
    Dodge – 11 after skills.
    Avoid – 7 after skills.
    Evade – 11 after skills.
    Try to get these three to 50% minimum. If you have left over points you can put a couple here but the returns aren’t great.
    Valk – 0-17 after skills. This is a personal preference. Not mine though. If you want a nice tank PvM, use her. She’s absolutely useless in PvP and more of a hindrance as people can actually leech of her. The same with decoy. Don’t bother with her in PvP.

This means that if you have no +skills or +specific skills you’ll still only need 71 skill points to finish this build. That’s pretty neat. Taking in an average level of 85 at high level PvP that means you can spend 25 free skillpoints.

Your inventory.
    This is partly copied from the bowazon as.. they’re both.. amazons.
    The javazon can make a lot of use of her inventory. So much even that you probably have it full during the duels. However filling it up might be quite expensive. Your best bet is to try and get javalin/spear skill grand charms. Try to get as many as you can by rerolling or trading. 10 would ofcourse be the ultimate. Don’t worry about second mods on them, even when they’re plain they’re worth their 3 slots over any other charm(s). I can’t stress it enough though.. try to get them.
    If you put together your amazon and equipped her to your best, you’ll probably notice that she won’t have max resist or won’t run as fast as you’d want her to, or won’t even have the desired FHR breakpoint. This is where the charms come in. Small charms are something great, they can have up to 11 resist in single elements or up to 5 for all. They can get 5 FHR and (nowadays) 3% FRW. Try to hit the maximum resist level (normally 75) in Hell (!), the best FHR breakpoint you want and the most FR/W possible. Take a look at the rules and see how much FR/W you can carry around for a GM duel. Try to reach that point. Don’t worry if you don’t though.. but of course more is better.

Your stash.
    This is actually very important and should never be forgotten. This is where your character hides her special equipment. This is where you can differ yourself from other characters and counter anyone out there. Normally in your stash you would have ‘’pre-buff’’ gear. This means that for instance a barbarian would have a lot of +skills items to boost his BO up before he switches back to his battling gear. This is also the place where you’ll have your resistance gear lying around. Resistance gear is very important for every dueler. If you face a sorceress for the first time you’ll know why.. same with a FoH paladin. Resistance gear comes in various shapes. The most common ones are extra absorb and max resists. Others are overstacking, I’ll explain this last even though I’ll make comments about it in between.
    Extra absorb and max resist. You should have equipment to counter any element. That means Fire, Cold, Lightning and Poison.
    I’ll start with the last one because that’s the easiest. Not a lot of people use poison damage, this however also means that not a lot of people have a good way to counter it. There is one item that can change that though, in the form of Death’s gloves. These gloves have crazy resists and most importantly poison length reduce. When you’re wearing the gloves you should consider using the belt too as the combined set bonuses are quite nice.
    Fire on the other hand is a bit easier to counter. One of the items I like to use here is a Nokozan relic. This will give you up to 85% resist and some FHR as a bonus. I recommend them over the hotspur boots which are, if you solely look at the fire mods, a bit better, but you’ll lose out on FR/W easily there. You won’t have to overstack against fire users.
    Lightning. Here’s a twofold. You’ll have the lightning damagers on one hand that deal very nice lightning damage, on the other hand you’ll have the lightning damagers that deal very decent lightning damage but lower your resist like crazy. Well, one item is pretty much mandatory to counter lightning, a thundergods belt. It gives upto 85% resist and absorbs quite a bit too. However if you’re only wearing this you will still be pummelled by lightning users. You should be able to overstack. Keep either a 4 socketed monarch in your stash filled with perfect topazes or a 4 socketed armor filled with resist jewels.
    Cold. There’s really only one build that can do good cold damage, however the sorceress is known for it and by god will she do good damage. There are several ways to counter this. I advice against trying to get +max gear. Even though you’ll have up to 95% resist she’ll just lower it like crazy (cold mastery) and it won’t do you any good. Just try to get good absorb (two ravenfrosts spring to mind) and again a 4 sapphire shield should help a lot. A 4 socketed armor with jewels is again a viable option if you can attain at least the same amount of resists as the shield (160).
    Overstacking. I mentioned it a couple of times now. Overstacking generally means countering your opponents negative resists. To take an example of a FoH paladin. Let’s just say that he does 6000 lightning damage with conviction on at –150 resists. This will obviously hurt you. If you’re wearing tgods only and have 85% resist he’ll do the following damage:
    6000/6 = 1000
    85% - 150 = -65
    1000 * 1,65 = 1650 dmg.
    1650 – 20 (absorb) = 1630 Knowing the average amazons life span this means instant death.
    6000/6 = 1000
    85% - 0 = 85
    1000 * 0,15 = 150 dmg.
    So overstacking means that you have gear in your stash that helps you stack your resists over your normal max. Even though you already have 85% resist you pack another 160 to make sure that even after your opponent lowers it (a lot) you’re still safe. You should count on every PvP player that does elemental damage to have –nme resists. Even if that don’t have it naturally they will get it from gear (lightning facets give up to –5% for example). Always keep overstack in your stash. I favour the shields as I normally have enough strength to wear a stormshield anyway, but if you have the jewels to make a good armor you might even outstrip the shield with a magical armor like this:

Jeweler's Ornate Plate of the Whale
    Defense: 447
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 170
    Required Level: 47
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x2fd6025a
    +97 to Life
    Socketed (4: 0 used)

Little strategy.
    Trust on your damage. Some will counter it, but just keep pumping those poison clouds out and run trough them. They will die eventually.
    If you have to go offencive, do it moderately. Don’t go overboard. Make sure you have an escape route or know how to make a safe spot using the poison clouds.
    If a physical attacker runs away (like a zeal pally or so) don’t immediately run after him. Think about why he’s running away. Is it because he’s dying to poison? You might get a bow out and snipe that last hp. Is he trying to get you to run after him? Walk. Walking keeps your block up.
    Get that fr/w. You can’t have enough.

5. Sint Nikolaas

The Lightning Trapper – A Frugal Guide to Face-melting

I’m no good with introductions, so let’s just cut to the chase: this is a PvP trapper guide for those on a limited budget. All the gear I’ll suggest is stuff you can reasonably expect to find with some dedication to Hell Meph and Pindle runs. If you’ve been playing long enough to own Enigma, CtA, etc. then just substitute those in wherever necessary.

Skill points
    Max Lightning Sentry and all three of its synergies
    1 point in Mind Blast, Fade, Burst of Speed, Shadow Master, Claw Block, and all prereqs
    Additional points should go into either Fade or Mind Blast. More points in Fade will give you more PDR and resists, although the resists diminishing returns after 60 resist all. More points in Mind Blast will give it a longer stun duration, and slightly more damage. Additional points in Claw Block are somewhat useless for a non-teleporting assassin since Claw Block doesn’t work when you’re running or walking.

Stat points
    Strength: Enough to equip gear
    Dex: Enough to equip gear if going claw/claw, or enough for max block if going weapon/shield
    Vit: Everything else
    Eng: Nothing

Gear
    Specific pieces of gear will vary from person to person, so here are some guideline stats that you’ll want to have with your setup:

65% Faster Cast Rate (FCR) for dual claw, 102% FCR for weapon/shield
    48% Faster Hit Recovery (FHR)
    Max resists in Hell with Fade on; you might want to stack 30 resists over the max due to the bug that causes you to lose the Anya quest resists when you die
    9 or 10 frame trap laying with Fade on – use Google to search for weapon speed calculators, I’m not allowed to link them here
    As much damage as you can muster – assume your opponent always has 85 lightning resist and 20 absorb (i.e. they’re wearing Thundergod’s Vigor). In that case, your PvP damage = (listed PvM damage * 0.17 * 0.15) - 40.

Now for some specific gear selections –

Helm:
    Kira’s Guardian if you need resists, Harlequin Crest (Shako) otherwise. A +2 assassin skill, 20 FCR, +resist, +FRW rare circlet would be best, but they don’t exactly grow on trees. Socket choices depend on whether you need FHR, resists, or IAS. If you need none of the above, socket with a Perfect Ruby for more life. Note that +lightning damage or -lightning resist from facets or Griffon’s Eye won’t affect your trap damage, despite what the character screen shows.

Amulet:
    Anything with +skills and resists would work, and you might not even need the resists depending on the rest of your gear selection. If you need additional FCR, rare amulets can spawn with +10 FCR along with resists and +2 assassin skills, and crafted caster amulets can spawn with up to +20 FCR.

Armor:
    Not counting Enigma, your best choices are either Skin of the Vipermagi or a ‘Stealth’ runeword. The Vipermagi gives you 5 more FCR, up to 35 more resist all, one more +skill, and an open socket. ‘Stealth’ gives you 25 more FRW and 25 more FHR. I would recommend keeping both with you, and wearing the ‘Stealth’ any time you don’t need the Vipermagi resists (bone necros, most melee characters, etc.). For socketing choices, see helms.

Belt:
    Arachnid Mesh is the best choice most of the time with its +1 skill and 20 FCR. It’s not terribly rare, although not common either. Other choices could include a crafted caster belt if you need FCR, Verdungo’s/String of Ears if you need PDR, or Thundergod’s if you need to absorb lightning damage.

Rings:
    FCR rings with life/mana/resists are good here. Sometimes you might need to absorb or have CBF so it’s nice to keep pairs of Ravenfrosts and Dwarfstars. SoJ’s or BK rings can be nice if you don’t need the FCR rings and just want to pump your damage, but they’re quite rare so it’s not necessary to have them.

Gloves:
    Magefist or Trang Oul’s gloves, preferably the Trang’s for the extra cold resist. These are the only two gloves that offer 20 FCR. If for whatever reason you find yourself not needing the 20 FCR, then Bloodfists make a good choice (10 IAS for trap laying, 30 FHR, 40 life).

Boots:
    Look for boots with combinations of FRW and resists. Rares and crafted boots are the best, but Natalya’s Boots, IK boots, and Aldur’s boots are all decent and easy to acquire. Waterwalks aren’t bad either and will give you a substantial boost in life, but they’re a bit slow (only 20% FRW).

Weapons:
    You can choose to go either claw/claw or weapon/shield. If you’re on a tight budget I recommend claw/claw since it’s easier to get sufficient damage that way. You can shop blue claws from Anya in Hell mode with +3 traps or +2 assassin skills, and if you’re lucky, they’ll also have +LS as a staff mod (up to +3). Magic claws can also get up 2 sockets from Larzuk, so fill them with Shaels/IAS jewels to reach a good trap laying breakpoint, and then use resist jewels for the remaining sockets.

If you go weapon/shield, the typical choices are either Wizardspike + Stormshield or HotO + Stormshield. The advantage of weapon/shield is that you’ll be more resilient with 75% block against most melee and Guided Arrows, plus you’ll be able to use BoS instead of Fade for greatly increased FRW and trap laying, while still maintaining high PDR and resists. Using Wizardspike or HotO also greatly boosts your FCR (by 50% and 40% respectively). The downside is that you’ll lose quite a bit of damage (especially if you use Wizardspike instead of HotO) and you won’t be able to block spells with a shield like you could with Claw Block and dual claws, although you could still swap in claws for when you’re dueling casters. Getting enough strength to carry the shield and enough dex to have max block also substantially cuts down on the amount of life you can have. I’ve seen both variants played to great effect, but a weapon/shield setup typically requires more expensive gear.

Charms:
    Use Entrapping Grand Charms if you have them. Other than that, use your charms to plug any holes in your resists, FHR, or FRW. If everything else looks good, get as many +life small charms as possible to boost your life.

Stashed Gear:
    Usually the stash is where you keep gear switches to help you fight specific opponents. As a trapper, most of your stash gear will probably be for extra protection against elemental attacks. I mentioned a number of alternative choices for each gear slot, so play around with those and see which ones are useful enough to keep in your stash.

Strategy
    General:
    Making good use of Mind Blast is essential to a trapper’s success. When you Mind Blast someone in PvP, they’ll get knocked back for an instant and then they’ll have swirls (the same swirls that getting hit with Smite causes, and the same swirls that barbs get when they use Berserk) over their head for the duration of Mind Blast’s listed ‘stun’ time. Any damage taken, even if it’s just a single point, while the swirls are there will cause the character to enter hit recovery. With a field of rapid firing traps, the character will often be hit and stunned so fast that they’ll be almost completely immobilized while under the effects of Mind Blast.

With that in mind, you’ll want to keep Mind Blast and Lightning Sentry hotkeyed to right-click. This way you can right click on someone’s name with Mind Blast and hold down the mouse button (i.e. a namelock) and then use hotkeys to switch between Mind Blast and Lightning Sentry while never releasing your namelock. For example, hotkey Mind Blast to ‘1' and LS to ‘2' on right click. Then go right click on someone’s character and hold down the button. If you did it right you should be able to see a lifebar appear over their character, even if the character goes off your screen. Now as long as you hold the mouse button down and see the lifebar, if you switch to Mind Blast by pressing ‘1' you’ll cast Mind Blast on your target, and if you press ‘2' to switch to LS, you’ll lay a trap right next to them.

You’ll want to namelock and Mind Blast at the maximum possible range, so you should want to play at 800x600 resolution if you don’t already. In addition, try to stay to the south of your opponent and keep them in the top corners of your screen. The life/mana bars at the bottom of the screen take up space, so the viewable and clickable area extends further to the top than it does to the bottom. What that means is if you keep someone at the very top corners of your screen, you’ll be able to namelock them without ever appearing on their screen.

With those basics covered, I’ll try to provide some strategies against specific characters.

Vs. Bone Necro:
    Turn on Burst of Speed and try to get a namelock on them as soon as possible. Don’t let them get off of your minimap, because that’s when invisible bone spirits come into play. Keep your Shadow Master out as an extra target for the bone spirits to lock on to. When approaching them, circle in rather than taking a beeline while laying traps in his direction on the edges of your screen. If you get a bone spirit train following you, keep circling close to the necro until the spirits expire. Once you get a namelock, use the Mind Blast/Lightning Sentry switching strategy and the necro should die before he gets off enough spirits/spears to bring you down. If he teleports out of your namelock (possible with good FHR), then chase him down and repeat the process. The trapper needs to be the aggressor in this fight.

Vs. Poison Necro:
    They’re not a threat unless they can teleport. Poison nova range is quite short, and you never have to get that close to Mind Blast or lay traps. If they can teleport, then it’s just a test to see if you can namelock and Mind Blast before they teleport next to you and unleash a nova. Here it helps to have Poison Length Reduction and +max poison resist, as well as poison resist stack to help counter facets/lower resist/Death’s Web.

Vs. Shapeshifters:
    Turn on BoS don’t let them get any closer than the very edge of your screen. Don’t use Shadow Master, as it’s just a target for them to charge up Feral Rage on. Without Feral Rage, you’ll always run faster than any shapeshifter, even wolfbarbs with increased speed. Lay down some traps at the edge of your screen, Mind Blast as soon as you see them, and then run in the other direction. If they start running away from you, chase them down until they’re on your screen, and then continue with the trap/Mind Blast/run sequence. As long as you run faster than them, there’s nothing a shapeshifter can do to you short of de-shifting and pulling out a Widowmaker.

Vs. Human-form Druids (wind druids and fire elemental druids):
    This is about as close to an auto-win as you’ll ever get. Namelock Mind Blast and trap, and the druid will be locked down for the entire duration of the fight due to their poor hit recovery rates in human form. If you think they’ll teleport on you before you can get a namelock, lay some traps behind you then cast Mind Blast over and over on top of yourself.

Vs. Whirlwind barbs:
    Fight these the same way you fight shapeshifters: turn on BoS and run. Whirlwind and Leap lets the barb escape from Mind Blast/trap lock, so just stay on the move and don’t let them get close. The biggest thing to look out for is desync whirlwind when the barb does a really long whirlwind, and isn’t where he appears to be on your screen. If you see a barb literally follow your exact movements while in whirlwind, this means that he namelocked you with whirlwind. The whirlwind won’t stop until he either hits you, gets stuck on an obstacle, or he loses you as a target (i.e. you run off his minimap). In addition, he’ll probably be desynced so he’s always closer to you than he seems. Best thing to do if you see this is to just run until he’s off of your minimap, which will cause the whirlwind to end. For teleporting barbs, you’ll most likely need to be able to teleport yourself to be competitive.

Vs. Paladins:
    Paladins will probably be your hardest fights, since they can just charge out of Mind Blast. Try to fight in an area with lots of puddles so it’s more likely his charge gets stuck on something. Be especially careful around hammerdins, or else you could eat an invisible hammer. Running at an angle (rather than directly away from them) seems to make charge miss more often. Other than that it’s an issue of having enough damage to bring him down before he gets close.

Vs. Javazons:
    Mind Blast and traps should keep them in dodge lock or hit recovery. If they get too close for comfort, run back a bit and resume with Mind Blast and traps. Try not to let them get too far away (off of your screen) to stop them from spamming guided arrows at you.

Vs. Bowazons:
    Approach it like a bone necro fight, except you can’t outrun guided arrow like you can bone spirit. Circle around and close the distance to prevent getting locked on by a trail of arrows. Once you’re reasonably close, run in and get a namelock as soon as possible. Again, keep your Shadow Master out to take an extra arrow or two for you. You might take a few arrows in the process, but it’s usually game over for the bowazon as soon as you get a namelock.
    Vs. Sorcs:
    Another fight that’s easy if they don’t teleport. Circle in for a quick namelock, and if they don’t teleport it’s usually over at that point. If they do teleport, then you have to play a bit more defensive, keep traps out at the edges of your screen, and let them come close to you before running at them for the namelock. Continually chasing after a teleporting sorc will just get you killed by the blizzards/fireballs/lightnings she leaves in your path. Wear some extra absorb if necessary.

Vs. Assassins:
    This usually comes down to a positioning fight and a contest to see who can namelock better. Staying to the south and keeping them in your upper corners is a good start. Whirlwind assassins are extra tough, since they can whirlwind out of your Mind Blast while blocking trap shots with Claw Block.

6. Sint Nikolaas

Bone Necromancer

For a budget PvPer there’s only one necro build that can be recommended, and that’s a bone necro. You won’t reach the huge amounts of damage fully synergised sorcs can do, but this doesn’t matter as all the bone spells do magic damage, which is unresistable, giving you a big advantage over other casters. Even with some quite cheap items you’ll be able to win duels against most characters of equal wealth, with a few exceptions. As with virtually all PvP builds blocking is essential. This requires a large investment in dex, but as each point in vita only gives you 2 life it’s not a huge sacrifice to make. The main source of damage comes from +skills gear that, and is similar to most other casters, with a few significant differences. Generally you’ll spend a lot of time staying as far away from people as possible. For this reason FRW is very important and the more you have of it the better.

Invisible Bone spirit (IBS): After a certain distance bone spirits will sometimes turn invisible, which is obviously very dangerous. This is similar to the way guided arrows can turn invisible as well.

Basic Build:

Stats:

Strength: Enough to use your gear. Usually this will be 156 for Stormshield or 133 with a –requirements jewel, but 156 is preferable.
    Dexterity: Enough to have max blocking with SS after all bonuses from equipment:

Level 80: 194 Dex
    Level 85: 205 Dex
    Level 90: 216 Dex

SS socketed with Eld:

Level 80: 177 Dex
    Level 85: 187 Dex
    Level 90: 197 Dex

Vitality: Everything else
    Energy: None

Skills:

20 Bone Spear
    20 Bone Spirit
    20 Bone Prison
    20 Bone Wall
    1-20 Teeth (max this one last)
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist

The only curse that helps you, Decrepify, is a banned skill, so no points are needed in the curse tree

Gear:

The extra damage gained from more +skills is useful, but there are more important mods to look for on items first, that often come on items with +skills anyway. FCR, FRW, FHR and resists are some of the more important things to look for on items, and these can be added through socketing in many cases.

Helm:

Harlequin Crest: +2 skills, +1.5 life/mana per level, +2 to all attributes, 10%DR.
    One of the best caster helms there is, it’s probably the best all round choice, it’s also quite easy to find. Can be socketed with a Shael for 20% FHR to help you reach the 86% BP
    Peasant Crown: +1 skills, +20 Energy/Vita, +15FRW, +6-12 replenish life.
    A good substitute if you don’t have a Harley
    Rare/Magic Circlet: In some cases these can be better than a harley, but the ones that are better are also very rare. The main mods that they can give you that aren’t on a harley are resists and FCR. Whilst this is useful for reaching the last FCR breakpoint it is not essential.

Amulet:

Mara’s Kaleidoscope: +2 skills, 20-30 resist all, +5 to all attributes
    Can be hard to find, and expensive, but it’s also hard to find an amulet to beat it, without a very lucky craft
    Rare/Crafted amulets: Look for ones with +skills, str/dex and resists, as well as FCR on crafted amulets.

Body Armour:

Skin of the Vipermagi:
    20-35 to all resists, +1 skills, 30 FCR and 9-15 magic damage reduction
    A well known caster armour, and also quite common. Very useful against elemental characters in particular if you need the resists.
    Stealth runeword (Tal Eth)
    25 FCR, 25 FRW, 25 FHR, 30 Poison resist, 15% mana regen
    This is best made in a light armour, as your defence doesn’t matter and it won’t affect your movement speed. One of the best all round choices, and my preferred choice against just about every class. The main problem is the lack of resists which makes Vipermagi a better option against elemental attackers if you can’t reach good resists without it.
    Que-Hegan’s Wisdom:
    +1 skills, 20 FCR, 20 FHR, 10 MDR
    This is a useful armour, but I prefer to switch between Vipermagi and Stealth depending on which class I’m duelling, as the +1 skills on it’s own doesn’t make up for losing the FRW from Stealth.
    Shaftstop:
    30% DR, +60 Life, 180-220%ED
    If you don’t want to use SS for some reason this armour can help make up for the loss of DR, and if combined with Whitstan’s Guard could save a lot of stat points. However if you do this then you don’t leave yourself much room for flexibility, and the Stealth/SS combination is better in general.

Shield:

Stormshield: 67% CTB, 35%DR, 60 cold res, 25 light res, 35% FBR
    Great shield against physical damage characters, it gives everything you need on a shield against them. Shael it to reach the next block rate BP if you have the strength to use it without a –req jewel. Or you can put an Eld in it for 7% more CTB and save putting a reasonable number of points in dex. Getting the full 156 strength required for it can be useful though as it allows you to use socketed Monarchs against elemental characters.
    Homunculous: 72% CTB, 30FBR, +2 Skills, +20 Energy, Regen mana +33%, res all 40%, +2 Curses
    A great shield to use against casters, or when you need blocking without the DR from SS, such as against a WW sin. Socketed with a Pdiamond it goes a long way towards getting your resists up to a good level.
    Whitstan’s Guard: CTB 87%, 40%FBR, Half freeze duration
    Very good blocking, not much else though. You could use this instead of SS, getting DR from somewhere else, such as Shaftstop, to save on putting points in dex for blocking.
    Spirit (Tal, Thul, Ort, Amn): +2 all skills, 25-35FCR, 55FHR, +22 vita, 89-112 mana, 35 Cold/Light/Poison res
    Another good shield against casters, the FHR is very useful against trappers, and the FCR might help you reach the next BP, but Homunculous is a better choice most of the time. The other drawback is the strength requirement.

Weapon:
    Lots of choices here, most relatively common:

Heart of the Oak (Ko, Vex, Pul, Thul): +3 skills, +40%FCR, +30-40 resistances, +10 dex, 15% maximum mana, replenish life
    Gives you just about everything you could ask for in a caster weapon. Vex runes are rare though, and this can be difficult to obtain without a few lucky HF drops.
    Boneshade: +2 Skills, +1-2 To Bone Spirit, +2-3 To Bone Spear, +2-3 To Bone Wall, +4-5 To Bone Armor, +4-5 To Teeth, +25% FCR.
    Good wand if you don’t have a HotO, but it does lack resists.
    Wizardspike: +2-198 To Mana (Based On Character Level), +50%FCR, regen mana 15%, Increase Maximum Mana 15%, All Resistances +75
    Another very good weapon, loads of mana, the FCR lets you reach the 9 frame BP (125% FCR) much more easily than most other weapons. Great resists too.
    White Wand (Dol, Io): +3 To PnB skills, +3 To Bone Armor, +2 To Bone Spear, +4 To Skeleton Mastery, 20% FCR
    Made in a +3 spear/spirit wand this can add a lot of damage to your attacks. Drawbacks include no resists and low FCR
    Suicide Branch: +1 skills, +50%FCR, Max Mana +10%, +10 res all, +40 life
    No resists, but the high FCR, and +1 to all skills can make it a good alternative to a Wizardspike if you can cope without the resists from it.
    Blackhand Key: +2 skills, +30%FCR, 50 life, 37 fire res, 20% damage goes to mana.
    An ok wand to use if you can’t get anything better

Gloves:
    Not as many choices here, mainly comes down to these 3:

Trang Oul’s Claws: +20%FCR, +30 cold res
    Good gloves, the cold res helps a bit against a Sorc’s CM
    Magefist: +20%FCR, 25% mana regen.
    If you don’t need the cold res from Trang-Oul’s Claws then the mana regen’s nice
    Frostburn: +40% max mana
    Big mana boost if you need it

Belts:

Arachnid’s Mesh: +1 skills, +20%FCR, +5% max mana
    Best all round caster belt.
    Thundergod’s Vigor: +20 light absorb, +10% max light res, +20 str, +20 vita
    The light absorb and the max light res make this one of the best items to use against any form of lightning damage. It does count as 2 sources of max res/absorb however.
    Crafted caster belt: Always spawns with 5-10FCR, +4-10% mana regen and +10-20 mana. Can also get resists, str/dex and FHR.
    Gloom’s Trap: Max Mana +15%, +15% mana regen, +15 vita.
    Adds mana and life, not bad, but a crafted belt can be better
    Nightsmoke: 50% damage goes to mana, +10 res all, +20 mana
    The resists are nice, but again, Arachnind’s or a crafted belt is better

Boots:

Rare boots: In theory these can be some of the best boots around, but the best ones are very rare. Mods to look for: FRW (up to 30), resists, str/dex
    Sandstorm Trek: 20 FRW, 20 FHR, +10-15 str, +10-15 vita, 40-70 Poison res
    Lots of good mods, the FHR is very useful, as is the strength.
    Waterwalks: 20 FRW, 45-65 life, +15dex, +5% max fire res
    Nice life boost, and the dex can be useful if you plan for it, but overall I prefer the Treks.
    Natalya’s Soul: 40FRW, +15-25% light/cold res
    The extra FRW boost from these can be very helpful if you have to play more defensively against a caster such as a blizz sorc, and more resists are always useful.
    Aldur’s Advance: 40FRW, +50 life, +40-50% fire res, 10% damage goes to mana
    A good alternative to Nat’s boots if you need extra FRW

Rings:

Stone of Jordan: +1 skills, +25% max mana, +20 mana
    More damage and more mana, very rare, but if you can get them they are also one of the best rings you can use
    Ravenfrost: CBF, +15-20 dex, 20% cold absorb
    A good source, and likely to be you only source, of CBF, and the cold absorb is very useful
    Rare ring: These can spawn with 10 FCR, as well as all the useful stuff you get on rares. Extra mana and stats are always good to have
    Bul-Kathos’s Wedding band: +1 skills, +0.5 life per level
    Good to use if you don’t have a SoJ, but these are also rare

Charms:

Charms can make up for a lot of the things you lack in equipment, and are very important. Plain PnB skillers are useful for increasing your damage, but apart from that they don’t do much else for you. Per square of inventory space used SCs nearly always beat large and grand charms. Things to look for on them are FRW, FHR, life (up to 20), mana (up to 17) and resists (up to 11 for a single element, or 5 res all).

Stash:

It’s important to be able to switch items around to get the best setup to deal with secific builds. A lot of the items you should have in here are to deal with elemental damage. Being able to overstack some elements, particularly lightning and cold, is more important than other ones.

Things to consider keeping in there, split into countering different damage types:

Lightning

4 Ptopaz Monarch: Normally used to counter FoH/conviction. The 160% Light res nicely cancels out the effect of conviction, and combined with Tgods will massively reduce the damage you take.
    Thundergod’s Vigor: To use against characters doing lightning damage. This alone helps a lot against characters that can’t lower your resists, but against ones that can, such as FoH pallies, a 4Ptopaz Monarch to counteract conviction is normally needed. Counts as 2 sources of max resist/absorb for lightning

Cold:

4 Psapphire Monarch: Useful against cold sorcs to counter their CM, which is likely to take off around 170-210 cold resistance
    Ravenfrost: 2 of these combined with a Psapphire Monarch can help to greatly reduce cold damage, but remember that you’ll take the damage before absorb is applied, so a blizzard sorc could still one hit kill you if they do a lot of damage

Poison:

Death’s Hand: PLR 75%, +50 Poison Res. Always good to have these just in case there’s a poison damage dealing character
    Venom Ward: +90 Poison Res, PLR 50%, +15% max poison resist. A good alternative to Death’s Gloves. Counts as 2 sources of max resist/absorb for poison

Fire

Nokozan Relic: +10% max fire res, +50% fire res. In general fire damage is easier to counter than cold or lightning as you don’t need to stack resists. Either this or Hotspur are good choices to counter it
    Hotspur: +15% max fire res, +45% fire res. Adds more max resist than Nokozan, but at the cost of losing all the good mods off your boots.

Physical

Stormshield (assuming you’re not using it already): The 35%DR is incredibly useful against all physical attackers
    Verdungo’s Hearty Cord: The DR lets you use a different helm than a Harley and still reach a good level of DR. The life boost is nice too, but not overly useful to a necro.

Important Breakpoints

Faster Hit Recovery:

FHR% Hit Recovery (frames)
    0 13
    5 12
    10 11
    16 10
    26 9
    39 8
    56 7
    86 6
    152 5
    377 4

The best BP to aim for is 86% if you can manage it, 56% if not. One way of getting there is: Stealth (25%), Sandstorm Trek (20%), Shael socketed in Helm (20%), 5 5% FHR small charms (25%) for a total of 90% FHR

Faster Cast Rate:

FCR% Cast Rate (frames)
    0 15
    9 14
    18 13
    30 12
    48 11
    75 10
    125 9

Hitting the 10 frame breakpoint is very important, the faster you can cast the faster you can do damage. This is easily possible with many combinations of equipment, eg Boneshade (25%), Trang-Oul’s Claws (20%), Stealth (25%), Arachnid’s Mesh (20%). Hitting the 9 frame cast BP is useful, but without very good gear it isn’t worth it unless you use a 50%FCR weapon, such as Wizardspike (50% from weapon, 20% from gloves and belt, 25% from stealth and 10% from a rare FCR ring)

Faster Block rate

FBR% Block Rate (frames)
    0 11
    6 10
    13 9
    20 8
    32 7
    52 6
    86 5
    174 4
    600 3

This is mostly related to your choice of shield and there isn’t much you can do to improve this, apart from socketing a Shael in your shield (+20% FBR), but there an Eld is often a better choice.

7. Sint Nikolaas

The Whirlwind Barbarian

Intro

Hey there SPF, It will be my first attempt to write a guide so bare with me. I’ve played this game since its release, and since beginning I was hooked with barbarian class. I participated in many duels, I had my share of loses and wins, but no matter what I always come back to blood moore for more;)

Barbarian

An aggressive class, that’s why it is favored by many. For PvM there is various interesting and fun builds (frenzy barbs, berserkers, leapers, throwers and so on) while in PvP the best killing skill is WW (whrilwind).
    WW barbarian

I’ll try to writte down budget BvA guide for new and not so new players.
    The most important things for GM (SPF rules) ww barbs is 1) FRW (faster run walk) 2) decent damage weapon 3) resist, I will talk about these later in the guide.

Skills

WW : 20
    Battle orders : 20

Weapon mastery : 20 (choose only one weapon mastery to receive full benefits)

Shout : 10-20 (if you don’t want to use leap, max this one)

Increased speed : 4-7 (this is important since FRW from skill don’t recieve diminishing returns, unlike frw from items)
    Natural resistance: 4 is the maximum you should invest becouse on higher lvl’s it suffers from diminishing returns)

Leap : some still thinks there is no use for this skill in GM duels, since you wont be teleporting, but I find it usefull against chars with low FHR, it is also usefull against meateor sorcs standing in their own fire or defensive wind druids. You don’t need to cover whole screen in GM duels so 14 skill points invested here should be enough.

One skill point wonders: berserk, battle command.

Stats

Strength : enough to use your armor/weapon. Plan this one correctly you don’t want to spend too much here. For example: Archon plate Duress (RW) needs 103 strgh + Draculas grasp glowes adds 10-15 strgh so with perfect strgh draculas you can have 118 strgh wich is enough for Areats face helm and with areats (wich adds 20 strgh) you can wear some kind of RW made in berserker axe.

Dextirity : enough for your max block with your best avaivable shield and dual angelics , you can put eld rune in your shield to increase you shields chance to block, that way you can save some stat points wich can be put to vitality. Remember that when you gain lvl’s you will need more dexterity to reach max bock. So always keep an eye on your block in characeter screen when lvling and add some points in dexterity to maintain max block (with you best shield)

Vitality: all the rest.

Energy: none (having few charms with mana is usually enough)

Items/Charms

Weapons – Like I said earlier this is one of the most important things for barb. That’s why it is also one of the most expensive, Im sorry but w/o decent weapon its extremly hard to have a chance aiganst other players. Its best to dual wield two weapons againts casters and most melee opponents, shield/weapon is usualy needed only for barb vs barb duels, of course Grief (for RWM users) and beast RW would be the most godly combination,. but 2x Oath (RWM) can deliver almost the same punch + is more cheaper (mal highest) so via hf drops and countess runs its easly obtanable.
    Other options is Death cleaver/ nice high ed rare with atleast 40 ias ( in order to hiy last ww break point).
    I only listed axes, swords is possible ofcourse, but its hard to find Unique wich can deliver nice dmg and is able to hit last ww break point.
    On switch use 2x echoing knifes/spears (can be bought from hell Malah) with + 3 to warcry’s in order to prebuff your BO/Shout/Battle commands.

Shield: Storm shield is your best bet (eld rune for better block), Hell meph can drop it, or you can easly buy one for Pgems in our SPTF:)
    Other options is winstants gaurd with eld rune.

Armor: you will want to use lightest armor possible coz these don’t hurt your FRW.
    Runewords like Duress (highest rune UM) or Fortitude (highest rune Lo) is best you can get. I personally favor Duress for high OW, plus it is much more cheaper than Forty, Um rune can be easily found/cubed while running hell counttes.
    Other armor options wich can be used is Duriels shell, Shaftstop.

Headgear: Areats face, the helm that has everything that barb needs (socketing options Um/resist jewel/ed jewel/sheal )
    Other nice options is Vampire Gaze, Rockstopper, Shako.

Glowes : Draculas grasp wins this one, more OW never hurts and 15 to strgh saves you some stat points. Using ww life tap never triggers so it becomes best GM glowes.
    Other good options is: blood glowes with nice mods, sexy rares with resist/strgh.

Boots : Gore riders should should be your end game boots (DS/OW/CB/30frw) extremly usefull mods for barb.
    Other options : war travelers, Ik boots, triple res boots with 30 frw (you can keep these in stash if you have gore riders, more resist never hurts in some situations)

Belt: You should have few belts in your stash for diferent situations. Thundergods have strgh + max Light res and Light absorb usefull againt any lighting dealing character.
    Verdungos, againt meele oponents, but strings of ears is nice option too. Crafted blood belt with mods like resists/strgh/high ow.

Jewelry: Angelic 2x rings and amulet againt meele opponents, highlords and 2x ravens againts opponents with low def like casters, rare rings with resistance/life/mana.
    Cats eye is good option for those who lack faster run walk.
    You can also use teleport amulet if someone wants to play by BM rules, 22 teleport charges can last for one or even two duels if you use it wisely (using teleport only for atacks, not for moving around)

Charms: Use anything to help you increase your :
    Life (small sc’s with below mentioned mods is godly, but plain ones is good too)
    Atack rating (use Grand charms with AR if you have problems in this section)
    Resist (sc’s with single element is cheapest and easy obtainable) you probably wont be able to reach max res without godly gear/charms so dont worry much if resists is lowish in hell.
    FRW (SPF GM rules caped frw usage to 110, so if you lack good frw small charms with 3% frw is ideal for reaching that cap)

I might add strategy section if there will be enough interest.

If you have questions about specific strategies just PM me and I’ll try to help you.

Thanks for reading:)

XDoomasX

8. Sint Nikolaas

Templar.

Who wouldn’t want to rain down punishment from above on his enemies? Welcome to the templar, we do just that. The templar is a paladin that utilises the Fist of Heavens skill in combination with the powerful Conviction aura to lower opponents resists. There are various builds that can be combined with the templar, however if you’re new to PvP (or don’t have nice gear) I suggest using the pure templar. Note that a templar is a caster, if you want to bash someone’s head in I suggest using another build.
    The Fist of Heavens is indeed a caster skill. It’s lightning based which is a mixed blessing. Alongside your conviction aura lightning can do very nice damage, which can’t be block or avoided (well, it can be dodged be amazons). However it still is lightning so there will be people that can absorb or resist your damage. In fact most of them will, but don’t worry, most of them use GM rules so your attack can’t be nullified. (Which sadly enough is possible if someone uses BM gear to get his resists up to 95% with a lot of absorb.)

The stats:

Energy – None.

The gear.
    A first note on the gear is that you’ll need a lot of skills. If you don’t have those you won’t do great damage (it will still be nice.. but just not great). Also, even though you’re a caster, FCR a mod that normally is a must on casters, won’t help much. It has a standard one second timer and the only good FCR does is making the casting animation shorter. Also note (and this is extremely nice) that you don’t have to target your opponent. If you hoover somewhere around your enemy or even just face him from the other side of the screen you target automatically and set your FoH off. This means that often you can cast FoH even before you see your enemy. Take care though, if someone has a few minions (wolves comes to mind with druids) you do have to target the player as you will shoot down the wolves otherwise.
    It is also important to know that you will be standing still while casting and that casting FoH is interruptible. This means that you have to keep moving. You can do that by charging around or by just walking. Charging has the added bonus that you can get close (to get your aura working on your opponent) and far away ver easily when needed. Just remember not to stand around when someone is pounding away on you.

Helm:
    Harlequin Crest. This is a good pick as usual. Good life and mana while providing skills and DR. Most people have one of these. The skills make it stand out.
    Extremely nice, but hard to get is a Griffon’s eye for extra damage and extra negative resists. Seriously expensive though.
    Peasant crown. If you have to. The fr/w is nice though. Mark the skill.
    Kira’s guardian. Lacks the skill(s), but may open up a slot somewhere else with the great resists and the CBF.

Armor:
    Skin of the Vipermagi. Gives a skill and good resists. Quite a nice armor.
    Ormus’ Robes. Nothing too special, but the extra lightning damage might help out. Bit more expensive and rare then the Skin though.
    The spirit shroud. Nothing other then a skill and CBF. Get a skin already.

Belt:
    Arachnids mesh is made for this build. Rare and expensive. Don’t worry if you don’t have it.
    Thundergods Vigor. Normally only worn against lightning opponents, but you could opt for using it all the time because of the strength and vit.
    Credendum. Gives good returns for an otherwise nothing too special belt.
    Gloom’s trap. Not often used belt, but still quite nice.

Gloves:
    Frostburn. A crapload of mana. Really nice.
    Bloodfists. Honourable mention. Chunk of FHR and life.
    Magefists. Some mana regenerate, you’re better of with one of the above.

Boots:
    Sandstorm Treks. Hard to get, but very nice. FR/W and FHR alongside stats and poison resist.
    Waterwalks. Dex, life and FR/W.
    Silkweaves. Use these if you need more mana.
    Natalya’s boots. Best FR/W and dual resists are still good.

Rings:
    Ravenfrost. If you don’t have CBF yet, then you’ll need this one. The dex will help you block.
    Stone of Jordan / Bul Kathos Weddinband. Both rare and/or expensive, both very good to have on this build. Probably the SoJ a bit better because of the mana but they just shine because of the skill.
    Well, use the other ring to make up for things you lack. Absorb against elemental opponents, resists if needed and stats if not. You might want to use a manald for the regenerate if you can’t think of anyhting else.

Amulet:
    Well, nothing much to say here. The best is a Mara’s Kaleidoscope with as much resist as possible. It’s hard to get though. Try filling this slot with anything you still need.
    Nokozan relic for extra fhr and to counter fire.
    Mahim oak curio for some all round action, stats and resists.
    Any rare will do. Try looking for skills, resists and stats. Seriously focus on the skills.

Weapon:
    The best will probably be a Heart of the Oak. However not everyone has a Vex lying around, nor does everyone want to spend it on a flail.
    Hand of the Blessed light. The skills makes this baby. The socket leaves extra options. Make sure you use it for something else than hitting with it since you won’t be doing that.
    Heaven’s Light. Another good option, though a bit more rare. This one might have an extra socket. Make sure you spend it well.
    Other than those two you can pick any scepter or weapon that has +skills. Try to find the best one. Note that a rosebranded warscepter (+3) can outshine a good runeword or unique when put to use.

Shield:
    Herald of Zakarum. Hands down. This one has it all, skills, resists and stats.
    Stormshield. The only good this one does is if you use it against heavy physical hitters. However you probably won’t have the strength for it.
    If you don’t have a HoZ you could opt for a lidless but the blocking would be very low.
    If you’re RWM you can take a look at a spirit shield. Normally that would mean a monarch and lot’s of strength. Lucky for us, paladin shields can spawn with four sockets too. Not great in the blocking compartment though.

Switch:
    Now, what to put on switch? Anything with +skills. You want to pre-buff your Holy Shield with this one. So anything normally goes. However, since you’ll likely have HoZ on your main switch it’ll be hard to find something for your switch (unless you got two).

Building your Templar.
    Combat skills:
    FoH 20
    Holy Shield 20
    Prereq’s 8
    Note: charge is a prereq, but you’ll still use it in your duels!

Offencive aura’s:
    Holy Shock 20
    Conviction – This depends on how many +skills you have on your gear. You want to get this skill to level 25 after all your skills. This means that if you have +10 skills you only have to put 15 points in it, but if you have +5 or less you need to max it.
    Prereq’s 5
    Conviction will be your main aura, Holy Shock is just a synergy to FoH, you won’t use it otherwise.

Defencive aura’s:
    None.

If you level to a respectable PvP level (around 85 and above) this will leave you with around 3-8 free skill points. I suggest using these to get your defences up. Holy shield will let you deal with physical attackers, try to get cleansing to counter poison and either salvation (if you have only 3 points) or the single resist aura’s to counter those. Especially against blizzard sorcs and other Templars you’ll need the aura’s.

Inventory:
    Well, I hate to say it, but combat skillers are the best you can bargain for. They are limited and not many people will trade them, so try rolling them yourself. Even without a second mod they are worth their three slots.
    If you don’t have (enough) skillers, fill the open slots up with small charms taking care of your needs. This is where you can max your resists, take your FHR to the 86% breakpoint or get more fr/w. If you got everything just fill it up with life charms.

Stash:
    This is where you keep your buff gear and your stack gear. Since you’re a paladin you can use the paladin specific shields. They come with two auto mods, resists and damage. You will ofcourse need the resists. If you can find a nice one with open sockets and good resists socket it with perfect gems to get a nice stack shield. This way you can counter people who use negative resists (this is also what people will use against you). If you don’t want to sacrifice your shield you can go hunting for jewels to make helms and armours filled with them. Jewels can get upto 30 resist for single elements.

A little strategy:
    Use your charge. A drive by is a nifty trick you might want to learn. You need to come considerably close for conviction to hit your opponent. Once he’s convicted (for a short time) you can get a FoH in. How to do it to use charge and instead for charging up to someone and back you just blast right past him hitting him with the aura in the process. You need to check the distance (as this will most likely be used against people you don’t want to be close to) and once you’re past quickly switch to FoH and target the ground back to you.
    Namelock. People won’t like you for this.. but hey, an ear is an ear. Besides most people utilise it. Namelocking means you click someone’s name while he’s in your screen. Then if he moves away you can still hold down your button making you cast FoH right on top of him even though you can’t see him.
    Targetting. Against single players (so no summoners) remember to just target anywhere near him. Don’t try to click his name (unless you want to namelock) but just click somewhere in his direction. You’ll be surprised (and pleased).
    Keep moving. Seriously, don’t stand still for long. Doesn’t matter who your opponent is or even if his attack hurts much, keep moving. Every dueler out there is designed to kill you and lingering around isn’t smart.

9. Sint Nikolaas

Vindicator.

A vindicator is a smite based paladin. Smite is a wonderful melee attack although some people will disagree with me for calling it ‘melee’. Basically smite is the same as a normal swing attack but has three very obvious advantages. 1. It doesn’t require AR and always hits. 2. It can’t be blocked. 3. It stuns and knocks back. This means that every time you swing, you hit, stun and knockback. It also means that normally when someone swings they have to calculate AR and factor in the fact that you can block ¾ of the attacks. You don’t. The main disadvantage is that without great weapons (like the almighty Grief runeword) you won’t have the ability to get as high damage as other melee opponents.

The stats:

Energy – None.

The gear.
    Note this, I highly suggest making this build only if you have a good shield. The shield is the key to the damage you’re doing and without one you won’t do good. Luckily the most commonly used paladin shield (Herald of Zakarum) is decent, but try to upgrade it.

Helm:
    Harlequin Crest. This is a good pick as usual. Good life and mana while providing skills and DR. Most people have one of these.
    Rockstopper Sallet. DR, FHR, resists and some life. Very nice.
    Peasant crown. If you have to. The fr/w is nice though.

Armor:
    Shaftstop. Cheap and ver good against physical attackers. I suggest keeping one in your stash at all times (if you don’t use stormshield, which you probably won’t).
    Lionheart runeword. Somewhat cheap runes and nice returns. Gives resists, stats, life and a little damage. Quite nice.
    Duress runeword. Somewhat less nice then lionheart IF you can get the fhr elsewhere. If not then this runeword is very good. Also some damage and resists here.

Belt:
    Verdungo’s is probably best, but also somewhat hard to get. The life and DR make it shine next to the FHR.
    Thundergod’s Vigor. Keep this one in your stash to counter lightning based attackers. You can also keep it on at all times, the strength and vit are good mods.
    String of Ears. It’s a downgraded verdungo’s. Still nice though.

Gloves:
    Bloodfists. Finally something cheap. They just rock with the insane FHR and life. The IAS is just a small bonus.
    IK gloves. For the added stats. Bloodfists are better though.

Boots:
    Sandstorm Treks. Hard to get, but very nice. FR/W and FHR alongside stats and poison resist.
    Gore riders. Old trustee. Not too great for this build but the OW and CB works. The 30 fr/w beats the treks, but the other stuff doesn’t.
    Natalya’s boots. Good fr/w and some resists added. Nice boots, don’t overlook these.
    IK boots. If you’re using the gloves (wonder why), then add the boots to it for a small extra bonus. Otherwise, take one of the above.

Rings:
    Ravenfrost. Sadly enough a must-have here. Luckily enough most people have it anyway. You just need the CBF and the extra dex helps you block. Don’t forget it has cold absorb.
    The second ring is a freebee. You can use any ring you want here. I suggest using this slot to make up for absorb. Try equipping all your gear without this one so you can swap it out (so you’re not stuck with less strength if you accidentally use a rare one with some stats on it). A second ravenfrost, dwarfstar or whisp projector are nice here. Otherwise a rare one with resists or stats will always help out.

Amulet:
    Well, nothing much to say here. The best is a Mara’s Kaleidoscope with as much resist as possible. It’s hard to get though. Try filling this slot with anything you still need.
    Nokozan relic for extra fhr and to counter fire.
    Mahim oak curio for some all round action, stats and resists.
    Cat’s eye will always help with fr/w and dex. Also quite rare.
    Any rare will do. Try looking for skills, resists and stats.

Weapon:
    This is where it gets complicated. Your weapon won’t deal the damage, it’s the shield. However you want to look for weapons with mods that do help out. Note that the +damage (so not enhanced damage, but directly added damage) works with smite. This means that the Grief runeword is the best you can have. Right.. well.. don’t worry about not having it. Another really nice one is a Silence runeword.. don’t worry about not having that one either.
    The Redeemer Seraph rod. This is the best weapon you can have (outside the damn rich). However this one is still very rare and hard to get. It stands out because of its +dmg.
    Hand of the blessed light. This one is as close as you can get to somewhat nice extra damage. However it differs so much from the higher rated weapons that you can opt for one of the below.
    Lightsabre. Didn’t expect to find one of these here right? Well there’s a simple reasoning behind it. It’s quite fast (shael it) to help you attack, has magic damage and lightning absorb. Carefull not to wear it alongside Tgod’s vigor though (two absorb and one max is one too many).
    If you can’t get one of the above, try just getting a nice scepter with extra skills. Holy shield and fanaticism are the ones to look for. Put some shaels in it to help you attack. Speed is king.

Shield:
    Well I said it before, this build relies on the shield.
    Upgraded Herald of Zakarum. This is the best. The returns are great and the damage range is so close together it will make you hit ver consistently.
    Stormshield. Lacks the damage, but makes up for it with the DR and the resists.
    HoZ. If you can’t upgrade it... still use it! The damage is lower, but the shield still is great. Seriously though, upgrade it.
    If you don’t have one of these, try making a sanctuary runeword in an elite paladin shield (the shields can spawn with resists on it, look for it). This will help a lot against elemental attackers.

Switch:
    Now, what to put on switch? Anything with +skills. You want to pre-buff your Holy Shield with this one. So anything normally goes. However, since you’ll likely have HoZ on your main switch it’ll be hard to find something for your switch (unless you got two).

Building your Vindicator.
    You can go several routes here, but the core of the build is the same.

Combat skills:
    Smite 20
    Holy Shield 20
    Prereq’s 3
    Note: charge is a prereq, but you’ll still use it in your duels!

Offencive aura’s:
    Fanatisicm 20
    Prereq’s 3
    Nothing surprising, you need the damage and speed from Fana. You’ll have it on at all times (saving really special cases).

Defencive aura’s:
    None.

Build done with 66 points spent. This is where the personal opinion comes in. If you make your PvP Vindicator you’ll have about 30 more skill points left. Here’s an idea of where you can put them.

Defiance – Gives extra defence. If you max this you will note the difference. Getting 10k defence is very easily achievable after this.
    Resist Lightning – The passive (and active) bonus of this skill will give you can easier time against lightning based attackers.
    Resist Cold – Same here, however if you’re fighting blizzard sorcs you might want to have this aura active because of their massive negative resists. Don’t do it for the passive bonus.
    Charge – a second offencive skill. Since normally you don’t use the weapon you won’t be getting good damage, however the extra points here will give you some more AR to help you hit with it.

Skill suggestion: I’d get a skill in cleansing to counter poison attackers. Besides that a point in resist cold. Also if you don’t want to use the individual aura’s you might consider salvation which is also great in team duels. Other then that you might as well dump the points in Charge and/or resist lightning.

Inventory:
    Well, I hate to say it, but combat skillers are the best you can bargain for. They are limited and not many people will trade them, so try rolling them yourself. Even without a second mod they are worth their three slots.
    If you don’t have (enough) skillers, fill the open slots up with small charms taking care of your needs. This is where you can max your resists, take your FHR to the 86% breakpoint or get more fr/w. If you got everything just fill it up with life charms.

Stash:
    This is an interesting one. Normally you’d keep resist shields here, but this time you won’t. Since this build relies on your shield you can’t go switching it out. If you’re wearing an upgraded HoZ socket it with an UM rune (don’t worry it isn’t a waste) to get more resists against those pesky elementals. Now if you don’t have enough resists to counter heavy elemental hitters like FoH pallies or Blizz sorcs, try getting it everywhere you can. Kira’s Guardian is hard to get, but gives great resists for a helm, another UM can go there. I didn’t list it among the helmets as normally you wouldn’t need it. An amulet and a ring combination against all elements is a very nice idea (since one ring and the amulet slot are pretty much open). Also if you have single resist jewel (they can go up to 30 for a single element) try making a resist armor for lightning, cold and if you can spare it poison, but focus on the first two.

A little strategy:
    Walk in fights against physical attackers. You’re attacking with your shield, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still block.
    Only use charge against characters with low defence (IE 1-2k) and never on physical attackers. If that fury wolf is low on life, he is still as lethal as normal so keep smiting and don’t try to finish it quickly.
    Be sure to counter every attack you see. Cold sorc? Pack everything to get your resists up. Poison? Same. Physical, block and DR.
    Even if it doesn’t seem like it, defence does help. Getting 10k with this guy should be quite doable, but if you can go higher then by all means do.

10. Sint Nikolaas

Blizzard Sorceress

Table of Contents
    Introduction
    Stats
    Skills
    Equipment
    General Facts

Introduction

Hello, my name is Zhao_Yue and I’ve been playing Diablo 2 since the fall of 2001. What’s keeping me addicted to the game is the dueling aspect and I’ve been mainly engrossed with that for over the past year. I’m here to give you a quick outline of the PvP Blizzard Sorceress.

Some of the benefits of a PvP Blizzard Sorceress are:
    She can do large amounts of cold damage from afar.
    Most players will be less likely to be protected against cold attacks. They will probably opt to have protection against the more popular damage types, namely physical, lightning and poison.
    Even if they try to put cold resistances on, you Cold Mastery will work to reduce that greatly.
    When not dueling, you can change your sorceress’s gear and do Magic Finding like a regular PvM Blizzard Sorceress.

Stats

Strength: Enough to your heaviest piece of equipment. For instance, if you choose to a ‘Spirit’ Monarch Shield, you will use need to invest 156 points in strength.
    Dexterity: There are two options you can choose – have enough dexterity to maximize block or leave it at base to maximize life. I would advise you to maximize block to 75% to defend against any melee or arrow attack. However, shields with very low block rates are not worth investing in maximum block, as they would require an astronomical amount of dexterity investment.
    Vitality: Put your remaining points in here, as this is your most important stat. More life means you last longer.
    Energy: High level sorceresses should not have mana problems with warmth, +mana from equipment and charms. Also, regular dueling rules ban teleport and using blizzard is not one of the more mana intensive spells. Don’t place any points here unless you absolutely feel you need that extra mana.

FHR vs Frames:
    0% - 15
    5% - 14
    9% - 13
    14% - 12
    20% - 11
    30% - 10
    42% - 9
    60% - 8
    86% - 7
    142% - 6

FCR vs Frames
    0% - 13
    9% - 12
    20% - 11
    37% - 10
    63% - 9
    105% - 8
    200% - 7

FBR vs Frames
    0% - 9
    7% - 8
    15% - 7
    27% - 6
    48% - 5
    86% - 4

Notes:
    Faster Hit Recover – Good targets to aim for are the 9 (42%) or 8 (60%) frame breakpoints.
    Fast Block Rate – You won’t have much chance to improve up this, it’s is mostly dependant on your shield.
    Faster Cast Rate – In Good Mannered duels, you will not be teleporting. Also Blizzard is not dependant on faster cast, so improving on this stat is not needed.

Skills

We will aim for level 85 to complete this build (although if you run Pindleskin, you can easily reach 90-92). With all the quest rewards completed, you should have 97 points at you disposal.

We will start off with the following skill selection which will use 83 skill points:

20 Blizzard – Your main offensive skill
    20 Cold Mastery – Skill that boosts all of you cold-based spells by reducing the enemy’s resistance
    20 Glacial Spike – Synergy to Blizzard
    20 Ice Blast – Synergy to Blizzard
    1 Frost Nova - Prerequisite
    1 Ice Bolt- Prerequisite
    1 Warmth – With +skills, a good source to regenerate mana

Optional placement for the remaining skill points could be:
    Static Field (1 point wonder): Excellent boss killing skill in PvM and makes Magic Find runs a lot faster.
    Teleport (1 point wonder + 1 point in telekinesis prerequisite): Very useful in getting around in PvM. Also if you happen to come across a PvP duel game with Bad Manner rules, this will help your sorceress immensely.
    Ice Bolt (Maximize): Put your points in here if you want to increase your Blizzard damage further.
    Chilling Armour (1 or Maximize): This armour give you a defensive bonus and also a chance to deflect (avoid damage from) incoming missiles, such as Fireball or Guided Arrow.

Equipment

My assumption in this section is that you are limited to the more common items through both running Hell Mephisto and moderate trades within the SPTF. But if you have a piece of equipment that would improve you build but is not mentioned here, by all means use it! For example, I would recommend a Harlequin Crest but if you have access to a Nightwing’s Veil, go for it!

Generally, the most important things we are looking for on equipment choices are:
    +Skills, +Sorceress Skills, +Cold Skills, +Blizzard
    Life
    Mana
    Damage Reduction
    Resistance
    Faster Hit recovery

Good Helmet choice:
    Harlyquin Crest Unique Shako (+2 skills, life/mana per level, 10% damage reduce)
    Other options:
    Peasent Crown Unique War Hat
    ‘Lore’ runeword

Good Amulet choice:
    Tal Rasha’s Adjunction Set Amulet (+2 Sorceress Skills, +50 life, +42 mana, 33 lightning resistance)
    Other options:
    Rare Amulet with +2 Sorceress Cold Skills and other desirable mods
    Magical Amulet with +3 Sorceress Cold Skills
    Telling of Beads Set Amulet

Good Weapon choices:
    The Occulus Unique Swirling Crystal (+3 Sorceress Skills, +20% resist all, +20 Vitality/Energy)
    Wizardspike Unique Bone Knife (mana per level, regenerate mana +15%, increase maximum mana +15%, resist all +75%)
    Other options:
    Suiside Branch Unique Burnt Wand
    Tal Rasha’s Lidless Eye Set Swirling Crystal (if you use this with another Tal Rasha Set piece, you get an item bonus of +1 Sorceress Skill)
    Special Note – if you decide to have dexterity at base, you are open to using a staff. Possibilities include:
    Chromatic Ire Unique Cedar Staff
    Razorswitch Unique Jo Staff
    Warpspear Unique Gothic Staff

Good Shield choice:
    Visceratuant Unique Defender (+1 Sorceress Skills, +30% increase block rate/faster block rate)
    Other options:
    Stormshield Unique Monarch
    Lidless Wall Grim Shield
    Whinstan’s Guard Set Round Shield

Weapon Switch choices:
    ‘Insight’ runeword (Level 12-15 Meditation – unbelievable for mana regeneration)
    Staff or orb with +Chilling Armour (if you want to save points)

Good Armour choice:
    Skin of the Vipermagi Unique Serpentskin Armour (+1 Skills, +20-35% resist all)
    Other options:
    Que-Hagan’s Wisdom Unique Mage Plate
    The Spirit Shroud Unique Ghost Armour

Good Glove choice:
    Bloodfist Unique Heavy Gloves (+40 life, 30% faster hit recovery)
    Other options
    Frostburn Unique Gauntlets
    Magefist Unique Light Gaunlets
    Crafted Caster Gloves

Good Belt choice:
    Snowclash Unique Battle Belt (+3 Blizzard, +2 Chilling Armour, +15 cold absorb, +15% maximum cold resistance)
    Other options
    Gloom’s Trap Unique Mesh Belt
    Tal Rasha’s Fine Spun Cloth Set Mesh Belt
    Crafted Caster Belt

Good Boots choice:
    Aulder’s Advance Set Battle Boots (+50 life, +40% faster run/walk, 10% damage goes to mana, +40-50% fire resistance)
    Other options
    Waterwalk Unique Sharkskin Boots
    Silkweave Unique Mesh Boots

Rings:
    Ravenfrost (cannot be frozen, +20 dexterity, +20% cold absorb, +40 mana)
    Dwarfstar (+40 life, +15% fire absorb)
    Rare Ring with +life/mana, resistance

Charms:
    Plain Chilling Grand Charms (+1 Sorceress Cold Skills)
    Charms with life, mana or faster hit recovery

General Facts

· Generally, when facing off against a melee opponent, you will want to have you character walk to preserve your 75% block and whatever defense you have. If you face off against a caster, you can run since spells ignore target defense and block.
    · A very useful tactic to use against opponents that run off screen is to click and hold the right mouse button over their character when you have blizzard selected on the right skill tab. This allows you to constantly shower blizzard over them, even when they are off your screen and will last until you release your mouse button. However you are stationary while you do this and can only move when you release your opponent. This is known as ‘Name-locking’.
    · You many notice that if you opponent wears cold absorb (ie. 20% from Ravenfrost), that his health bar will be reduced by a great amount on the first hit but will take reduced damage on subsequent hits. This is due to the fact that absorb restores life before damage is taken, so since your opponent has no damage take before the first hit, no life is restored.
    · Chance to cast teleport on the Occulus may be annoying to some people in PvM since when you are struck by a monster, you might be teleported into a monster grouping, putting you in greater danger. However, in PvP, you usually only face off against one other opponent so the chance to teleport away when you are being attacked may actually save you.

11. Sint Nikolaas

Fury/Rabies Wolf

I. Introduction
    The world of dueling is a harsh and unforgiving one. This is usually a world sparcely populated by druids. However, it is my opinion that if you are heart-set on building a PvP druid, this particular build will deliver the best results at the cheapest price. Fury/Rabies Wolves work well because they deal in two forms of damage (physical and poison), have very large life pools, and have the best faster hit recovery of any class.

II. Stats
    They are pretty standard PvP character stats. They focus on attaining 75% block, being able to weild all of your equipment combinations, and building a substancial amount of hit points.
    Strength- Just enough to equip all of your gear (usually about ~150 hard points)
    Dexterity- Enough for max block (usually about ~180 hard points)
    Vitality- Everything you can spare (shoot for ~200 hard points)
    Energy- None

III. Skills
    There are basically two subvariants to a Fury/Rabies wolf: Life-based and Attack Rating-based. To see which one would best suit you, look at who you will be dueling. If you find yourself dueling more caster oriented characters, then the life-based variant will probably work more to your advantage. If you are planning on dueling more melee builds, then you might find the Attack Rating-based theme more to your liking.

*Life based*
    1 Werewolf
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Rabies
    20 Poison Creeper
    20 Fury
    20 Oak (this gets maxed last)
    1 Raven
    1 Spirit Wolf
    1 Feral Rage

*AR based*
    20 Werewolf (this gets maxed last)
    20 Lycanthropy
    20 Rabies
    20 Poison Creeper
    20 Fury
    1 Raven
    1 Spirit Wolf
    1 Feral Rage
    1 Oak Sage

If you cannot decide between the variants or are unsure who you will be dueling, splitting points evenly between Oak Sage and Werewolf can help to combat all types of characters.

IV. Formulas
    Faster Hit Recovery Breakpoints
    %FHR Needed/Frames
    00-7
    09-6
    20-5
    42-4
    86-3

To deal damage ourselves, we must make sure we are recovering from our opponents attacks as quickly as possible. This isn't as hard as it sounds as werewolves have the best faster hit recovery in the game. Make sure you are hitting the 4 frame breakpoint with at least 42% FHR.

V. Gear Selections
    HELMS
    Jalal's Mane- This helm has +skills, +resists, +strength, an attack rating boost, and 30% FHR. Socket it with a Shael for an immediate 4 frame FHR. If you can reach the breakpoint without the Shael, consider a Perfect Ruby or an added life boost.
    Cerebus' Bite- Comparable +skills, a nice attack rating boost, and a very nice 33% open wounds mod. If you can make up the FHR and resists you'll lose from Jalal's, then this is a nice alternative helm.
    Guillaume's Face- Deadly strike, crushing blow and +strength, and 30% FHR.

WEAPONS (1 HAND)
    "Oath" Cryptic Sword- Nice speed and damage for a runeword that is pound for pound, probably one of the best investments in the game. It also has a neat % chance to cast Bone Spirit for some minor added magic damage. It is only a range 2, but it hits at a 5 frame Fury.
    Ethereal Baranar's Star s/ Shael- Great AR boost, +stats, some decent elemental damage, and 5 frame Fury, what more could you want? You can use a non-ethereal one if you don't like replacing your primary weapon that will lose durability as you duel, just remember to socket it with a Shael to hit that breakpoint. The physical damage difference between the regular and the ethereal is 129-159 and 192-237 respectively.
    Razor's Edge s/Shael- 50% deadly strike, 50% open wounds, and -target defense makes for a deadly little tomahawk.

WEAPONS (2 HAND)
    Upgraded Ribcracker s/Shael- Nice damage, +dexterity, a whopping 50% FHR, very low requirements and crushing blow rolled into a 5 frame weapon. Excellent.
    Immortal Kings Stone Crusher s/Shael + Shael- Again, good damage and some crushing blow in a nice little package. 225 strength requirements are a little steep though.
    Windhammer s/Shael- The IK Stone Crusher's unique brother, though I like it better than its set counterpart. Better damage and crushing blow but it still comes with that steep 225 strength requirement.
    Buriza-Do Kyanon- Yes, I realize this is a crossbow, but in wereform it gets treated like a melee weapon. Scaling damage, minor cold damage, and +dexterity make for a cheap but decent weapon. The main drawback of this weapon is poor range.

ARMOR
    "Duress" Light Armor- Decent resists, 40% FHR, 15% crushing blow, and a juicy 33% chance of open wounds.
    "Lionheart" Light Armor- Nice life, resists, minor ED, and +stats. An oldie, but goodie.
    Duriel's Shell- Good resists, +15 strength, CBF, and scaling life. Decent.
    Toothrow- +10 strength, minor fire resist and 40% chance of open wounds. Duress' little brother.

BELTS
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord- 10-15% PDR, minor FHR, and a good life boost. The perfect belt.
    String of Ears- 10-15% PDR and some MDR, a good alternative if you can't afford a Verdungo's.
    Rare/crafted belt- Something with +life, resists, +stats, and FHR.

GLOVES
    Trang Oul's Claws- 25% Poison skill damage to increase your Rabies, a great set of cheap gloves.
    Bloodfist- 30% FHR and +life make these normal gloves good enough for end game.

BOOTS
    Gore Riders- The only pair of boots in the game with deadly strike, open wounds, and crushing blow mods. Tie all that to the 30% FRW they offer and you are looking at some darn nice boots.
    Aldur's Advance- Fire resists and +life on a pair of set boots that offer 40% FRW.
    Immortal King's Pillar- Just about like Aldur's with more of an emphasis on attack rating rather than resists. Another good option.

SHIELDS
    Stormshield- This is about the only shield I recommend. It has a much needed 35% PDR and great block rate. Get it. You can Shael it to hit the next blocking recovery breakpoint, ED jewel it for more Fury damage, or P. Diamond it for more resists.

RINGS
    Ravenfrost- Cold absorb, 15-20 dexterity, and a nice AR boost. What's not to love? Use at least one.
    Rare/crafted ring- Something with +life, +resists, and +stats. If you can't get a good one, use another Ravenfrost.

AMULETS
    Highlord's Wrath- +1 skills, some lightning resist, and scaling deadly strike. This will help your effective Fury damage.
    Cat's Eye- +25 dexterity and 30% FRW. If you are finding yourself running too slow, one of these might be the answer.
    Rare/magic/crafted- Anything with +skills, +resists, +life, and +stats should work fine.

CHARMS
    +1 Shapeshifting (Spiritual) Skill Grand Charms- They will boost your AR, your life, your Fury damage, and your Rabies damage. Get some.
    Steel Grand Charms- If your Attack Rating is poor, a few of these might be the answer.
    Small charms- Look for mods like +life, +FRW, +AR, and +resists. Maybe a FHR or two will be needed to hit a desired breakpoint.

VI. General Strategy
    It wasn't mentioned in the gear section, but I would advocate having Plague Bearer and a Sigons Shield (or Lidless Wall, or "Spirit") on your weapon switch. After you have infected someone with Rabies with your main gear, if you hit the 'w' key, the added +skills and increased Rabies damage of your switch will be taken into account and will hurt your infected opponent more. You only need to weapon switch for a moment before returning to your main gear to finish the rest of the duel.

For dueling melee opponents, make sure you have close to 50% PDR (and with Stormshield and Verdungos/SoE, you should), a decent attack rating (with Steel Grand Charms and, if allowed, a Demon Limb prebuff) and your 75% block. Walk, rather than run, whenever possible and pick and choose the best angles of attack. Smiters are terribly hard on werewolves and certain whirlwind barbs can be as well.

For dueling caster opponents, make sure you have an appropriate amount of resists in the right element(s) and a good deal of FRW. If you can't catch them, you can't kill them. If you can substitute a 2-hand weapon without losing out on resists, then do it.

Here are some goals to shoot for with your Fury/Rabies Werewolf:
    Max resists in Nightmare
    ~3K life
    ~3K max Fury damage (1 hand)
    ~25K Rabies damage
    ~10K Attack Rating
    ~40-50% Open Wounds
    ~30% Deadly Strike
    ~100% FRW
    ~42% FHR
    ~75% Block

12. Sint Nikolaas

Useful items, item mods and builds.

Well, if you have picked a character (or not) you have already read a bit on what we think is the best item combination and maybe picked a few lesser items if you think those were better. Here I will list various items and explain why they are often used in PvP or why most people keep them in their stash while they venture out there. I’ll start out by a general list of mods on items that you’ll definitely want to have or want to look for if you didn’t have an item we suggested.
    PS. I will not tell you what the mod does (as in faster cast rate makes you cast faster), but will discuss it telling you where to look for it.
    PPS. I will not discuss the most obvious stuff like getting resists or stats like strength, dextrerity. I won’t mention life, mana or Attack Rating. All those are great to get, but a lot of your gear will cover those basics. I’m making the list to get you to desired breakpoints or to counter specific purposes.

Often required mods to look for on items.

Faster cast rate (FCR).
    For casters out there, FCR can luckily be found on most items you can equip. Main sources of FCR are a Wizzardspike weapon (50%), a Suicide Branch weapon (50%) or a Heart of the Oak weapon (40%). If you need your weapon for something else, or need more sources, try getting an Arachnids mesh belt (20%) or Trang Oul’s gloves / Magefist gloves (20%). Besides those there are various armors giving FCR as a Skin of the Vipermagi (30%). Now up to here it is probably known, on to where to find the little sources. You can find magic or rare amulets with 10%FCR. Rare or magic rings can spawn with 10% FCR too. You can also craft caster amulets for cast rates up to 20%. Also try looking for rare circlets and the likes for 10% or 20%.

Faster hit recovery (FHR).
    FHR is needed but luckily also often found. Good sources are helms like Arreat’s face (30%) or Rockstopper (30%), Armors like Stone (60%), Duress (40%), Que Heagans (20%) or gloves like Bloodfists (30%). However those are all quite common but often you won’t cut it with gear alone. A nokozan relic amulet is often overlooked but gives 20%. Try socketing Shael runes into your Helm or Armor for an additional 20%. Charms can help out here too. Small charms give the best returns with 5% a pop, but if you need skill charms (or just grand charms) then they come with 12%.

Faster block rate (FBR).
    You can have read trough all of the guides and not come across this term. Mainly because it is most of the time not needed. You can look up the table in the strategy compendium, but normally you shouldn’t worry about it. However if a shield does not come with increased block speed of it’s own the you can socket a Shael in it for 20%. Another way is to grab a Guardian angel armor for 30%.

Faster run walk (FR/W).
    You seriously need to run a lot in your duels, no matter if you run away or are chasing someone. Getting FR/W is needed and found mostly on boots like Aldurs boots (40%), Immortal King’s boots (40%) or Natalya’s boots (40%). Try to get this as high as possible, most uniques spawn with 30% or less. Rare boots can get up to 30% too and if you get a really nice pair (like 30FR/W, 20FHR, Stats, resists), you can give them to me. Besides the boots you can get FR/W from limited supplies, however some characters come with skills to make up for that. If you need to you can find FR/W on the Cat’s eye amulet (30%), Valkyrie Wing helm (20%), Titan’s Revenge for amazons (30%). You’ll have to make up for it with charms. Older small charms came with 5% a piece and if you still have those then you’re good, because nowadays they come with 3%. They still are the best you can get as Grand charms get only 7%.

Cannot be Frozen (CBF).
    You seriously need this in PvP. The only exception is if you’re a wolf and you’re doing melee only (as a wolf needs two sources of cold damage to slow his attack speed) or if you’re a teleporting class in bad manner PvP. The most used item to get CBF is a Ravenfrost ring. You can also get it from Trang Oul’s belt which gives pretty good other mods too. As a last resort you could go with a Death’s sash or a Gladiator’s Bane armor.

Damage Reduce (DR).
    You’ll need damage reduce by percentages, so no Sol runes. Normally a Stormshield is used (35%), but besides that Harlequin Crest hat gives 10%, where Verdungo’s Hearty cord belt and String of ears belt give from 10% to 15%. You can opt for using Shaftstop armor for 30%. DR is capped in PvP at 50%. The only other way to get DR is to use Ber runes.. so.. yeah no other way.

Skills.
    I’m not going to discuss why it is useful to get more +skills or where to look for them because most of you know it, I just wanted to remember everyone that this is one of the first things you should look for if you have an armor or weapon slot open. Also, rare circlets and the like and rare / crafted amulets can spawn with up to two skills or three for a skill tree. Those items can beat anything available.

Often used items.

Here’s I’m going to discuss some items you can have in your stash. I will probably tip some items that have been discussed in the character builds, but it’s nice to have them together.

First and most noted -
    Max and absorb gear versus the elements.
    Next snip taken from the amazon guides:
    Resistance gear comes in various shapes. The most common ones are extra absorb and max resists. Others are overstacking, I’ll explain this last even though I’ll make comments about it in between.
    6000/6 = 1000
    85% - 150 = -65
    1000 * 1,65 = 1650 dmg.
    6000/6 = 1000
    85% - 0 = 85
    1000 * 0,15 = 150 dmg.
    So overstacking means that you have gear in your stash that helps you stack your resists over your normal max. Even though you already have 85% resist you pack another 160 to make sure that even after your opponent lowers it (a lot) you’re still safe. You should count on every PvP player that does elemental damage to have –nme resists. Even if that don’t have it naturally they will get it from gear (lightning facets give up to –5% for example). Always keep overstack in your stash. I favour the shields as I normally have enough strength to wear a stormshield anyway.

So much on max, absorb and stack.

Prebuff gear

What is pre buffing? Pre buffing consists of using a skill or spell that gives you a bonus for a longer period of time. Let’s take Battle Order for an example. That skill give good life bonusses. However if you cast it in your battle gear it will likely be somewhat low level (probably around 24). Now if you have two echoing weapon in your stash you can already take that level up to 30. This work with all the skills you normally cast to help yourself out (and not to immediately hurt your opponent). Assassin shadow skills, necro’s summon and bone armor, Barbarian’s cries, Paladin’s Holy shield, Sorceress cold armor’s and energy shield or thunder storm, Druid’s pets and shifting skills and for all classes remember that +skills (so no paladin skills or sorceress skills but general plus to all) work on the often used Call to Arms weapon which gives Battle order for everyone.

Extra shield?
    Most character also need block. If you’re facing an opponent that doesn’t use a blockable attack you might opt for using another shield then your standard blocking shield though. For casters a Spirit (RWM) shield springs to mind with crazy FHR and 2 skills (among other good stuff). If you plan on using something like a Whistan’s guard for blocking (which pretty much won’t do your character any good besides the very high block), you might want to keep a second good shield in your stash if you’re facing other opponents.

Lastly alternative gear.
    As you’re dueling you might find some duels a lot harder then others. Some times you might sigh to yourself and say something like ‘I wish I had more FR/W when facing Druids’ or ‘I wish I had more FCR against Paladins’. It is very possible to keep alternative gear in your stash. This may vary from your normal resist setup where you switch out some gear to counter an elemental attacker. This is just general gear changes where you might have Bloodfists in your stash for an extra 30% FHR when needed and Magefists on your character if you need the FCR.
    Alternative gear is most often found on melee builds. They sometimes need more defence on attack rating while facing other melee builds or they want to switch around getting more life against casters. Alternative gear can be an Angelic combo (the Angelic wings and Angelic ring) which gives crazy attack rating at high levels, another Ravenfrost, a new pair of boots that give better FR/W or less but other mods like FHR.

13. Sint Nikolaas

FAQ.

Welcome to the FAQ. Here you’ll find a list of questions duelers came and come across when they tell about their games. Some of the questions will already be answered (multiple times) in the guide, but if you’re looking for something specific this will help out. I'll start out with a run down on how a PvP game will actually work, after that we'll get to the questions that are asked a lot and after that some random questions.

How does a PvP game works? What do I do if I want to kill someone?

Welcome to PvP. If you've never PvP'd before then it is a good idea to just join a PvP game and start by watching. You can enter the dueling if you like, but normally it's good to understand a bit of the ''slang'' and some of the rules. I'll walk you trough a PvP game step by step.
    Take your pick, you either host a game or join an existing one. If you host, post it on the forums to make sure people know it's up and will join.
    When the game goes up the host normally starts a Hell difficulty game. This is to give caster pretty much a fair chance as the extra -100 difficulty resist will help them out. It originated from the Bnet time where someone would Mat/Pat his char and then only could see the Hell difficulty games (so hosting a NM one wouldn't attract that much players).

Alright, the host makes a Hell game and goes to Act 1. Normally all duels take place in act one right outside of town in the Blood Moor. The Blood Moor is a good choice for duels as it's easily cleared of monsters, if has various hole, houses and bushes which characters can use to their advantage and it is quite spacy.
    If no one enters early then the host can probably clear out the Moor himself. Clearing the Moor means you kill all the monsters there. This will prevent people from getting hurt by them in the duels or using the monsters to their advantage (charging up or anything). If people enter while clearing the polite thing to do is to help the host clearing. If the host hasn't cleared yet because he has a hard time doing so (a fire based character comes to mind, since the fallen are fire immune), then normally the others will clear soon enough.

Right, now the game is ready. Let's see if the players are too. The best thing to do if people start entering the game is to tell everyone who you are. Most of the time your character name has no reflection to your forum name. This way people will know who they're dueling and can use those names to stop confusion.
    Normally two or three people are in a game and maybe later on there will be others. If there are only few people in the room then you can do 1v1 duels. One dueler challenges another to a duel (which of course gets accepted). These challenges are just normally someone saying ''hey <name> let's duel''. If you're going to duel, make sure you're hostile to the other player. Just open up yuor party screen (press ''P'') and click the two swords button next to the names of all the players. The name turns red and you're hostile. Alright, now the game is ready and the duelers are too. Take a moment to make sure you know all the rules. Look at the standard rules and explanation in this guide and ask your opponent if he's GM (using all the rules) or BM (using only few of them). If you've checked the rules you can walk out into the Blood Moor.

Now a side note here. You can do this before the duel, but after is also fine. If you're up against a new opponent make sure you know what kind of build he is. You can ask before the duel, or just duel and find out that way. This prevents you from going up against a lightning sorc while you geared against a cold one (pretty much giving him a free kill).

Back to the Moor. Two duelers now walk out on to the Moor. You can see the other dueler on your map as a red X or red name. If you want to duel eachother, move outside of map range (the name disappears of the map) so that each of you has some time to cast, buff or get ready after the go signal (a good example is a trap assassin). If you're of eachothers maps you make sure you are ready by saying ''ready''. Your opponent will do the same. If he doesn't respond you can poke him verbally by saying something like ''hey <name>, are you ready?'', please wait for a bit for him to respond on his own though. If he also states his readyness you say ''go''. This means you're good to go, however this does not mean you can immediately start attacking, you have to wait untill he says ''go'' too. After that you can assault eachother. Different settings include person A saying ''ready'' and person B saying ''go'' immediately (skipping his ready) which only leaves A to say ''go'' and start the duel. Another one is person A saying ''ready on your go'' or ''on your go'', leaving B to say ''go'' and start the duel.

After you duel and one of you dies, the best thing to do for the other is to go back to town. This clears the Moor from minions, traps or anything else that can hurt the other. The one who died can now run on to the Moor and collect the corpse.

With multiple people in the room, please be polite. Give others the chance to duel too. If you're new you might want to get as many duels in as possible constantly standing on the Moor, but maybe others might want to duel others too. Normally two people duel once and either it's part of a 3 duel (meaning they duel quickly 3 times in a row) or one of the duelers wants a quick rematch (meaning they duel 2 times in a row). Other then that it's polite to let others duel after you just had your shot. The difference in this is of course if multiple people want to challenge one person. Then the one person can't help being out in the Moor a lot.

Now if there are four or more duelers things get a bit chaotic if there's only room for 1v1 duels. Normally when there are quite a few people in the room three things can happen. 1. FFA. 2. CP. 3. TD's.

FFA means Free For All. This is basically a chaotic duel where one person does not take another one on, but every person in the room walks out on to the Moor and tries to kill everyone else. These duels tend to be a bit chaotic, but it gives a great rush if you're the last one alive (not to mention if you see two people duel and you rush in and sneak a kill in on one or both of them).
    CP means Cold Plains. The Moor is a good place to duel, but so is the Cold Plains. Only one waypoint away and you have the same dueling grounds as the Blood Moor. The worst part of it is of course that you have to clear it before you can duel too. Normally two duelers clear it together (watch out you don't kill eachother by accident). This way you have two dueling grounds making way for duels to go on simultaniously.
    TD's means Team Duels. If there's an even number of people in the room (or one or more very strong dueler), they can be devided in teams. The teams will be based on the duelers and the character builds. Normally when there are two lightning trappers in the game they get split up for example. The teams also get based on the duelers, meaning that experienced duelers get spread out too. No matter what the builds are, if you put three veteran duelers against three people who just started out, you will get a one sided duel which is not something anyone really enjoys. The teams are usually just made up quickly and if it's too uneven they tend to get switched around. Even when they're balanced though people want to try out different settings and switch around.

Team duels normally require a very different approuch as normal duels. When you're with your team getting ready for the duel it's a good way to talk a little tactics. You can either press ''P'' and squelch the other team(s) so they can't see your chat, letting you openly converse with your teammates, or you can privet message someone by using the /w <character name> before each thing you want to say. However the most common use is typing an exclamation mark ''!'' before your message making is appear right over your characters head in stead of on the chat screen. That way everyone close to you (your team generally) can read what you want to say and respond to it. Basic strategies come down to ''let's kill that one first'' or ''which aura should I use'' or ''I'll run around spamming arrows, distracting them, you can rush in and melee them'' or ''I'll try to kill them with my ranged attack, you protect me''.

Also, if you're done dueling or have to go there are two possibilities. Either you are not hosting and you just say your good byes. Just hang around for a minute, thank the host for hosting and greet everyone before you leave. Don't rush out after a bad loss or because you suddenly realise you have a real life appointment, other might think something went wrong or that you're comming back with another character. You might also be hosting, now everyone is in trouble though, since you're the host you can't leave without taking the game with you. You can either go away from your computer leaving the game up or you could just say you're leaving. Normally people will say ''aww'' but generally it's okay. If there are quite a lot of people around someone else could host, letting them continue without you. Now again, take your time. Don't just say ''sorry I have to go'' and save and exit. That way everyone in the game will drop without giving them a chance to thank you for hosting, saying good bye to the others or setting up a different game where they can continue. Just take a look at your watch and calculate 5 minutes for shutting the game down. Tell everyone you're leaving, say thank you for the duels, let them chat a bit if they want to continue and give your regards. Next it is polite to wait untill everyone leaves before shutting the game down. You could of course just shut it down if people made a deal on another game, but letting everyone leave on their own assures you they won't leave dropped equipment behind or that they get an error because you disconnected them. If you hosted and posted on the forums, please also post that the game is down.

14. Sint Nikolaas

Various questions:

Which PvP character build is the best?

This question is asked so often. There is only one answer though, no character is the best. Some will have an easier time killing others (like a WW barb), however they have their short comming just as the next dueler. Remember that very good duel characters often require ver good gear too. The best dueler for you should be the character you enjoy most playing and if you can get some kills in with him then you’re all fine.

I've never built a PvP character or played PvP, is it better to go for speed or damage? Hunting sounds like fun.

That’s actually two questions, speed or damage and hunting. If you’ve never played PvP before then you will likely be ‘obsessed’ by getting as high damage as possible. You may think you need to do great damage in orde to compete with others, but here’s a question for you: If you have great damage but get killed in one hit, do not have enough FR/W or FHR to chase then will you get a lot of kills? No. Your main concern should be your own safety and indeed your speed. FR/W, IAS, FHR etc. You would rather have a 10 attacks per second attack that does 100 damage per swing then a one attack per second attack that does 2000 damage. It’s half the damage, but more chances to hit, lock, stun, open wounds, poison, kill your opponent.

Dueling usually takes place in NM or Hell, what are the resistance penalties in NM and Hell?

The resistance penalties are the same as in PvM. You start in NM with a negative amount of resist of 40%. Hell starts at –100%. You have to calculate these amounts in your resistance (or stack) gear. Remember that you might think you’re okay, but if you die the Anya bug kicks in.

Wait the Anya bug?

Yeah, rescuing Anya in all difficulties gives you 30 resist in total by the scrolls Malah gives you. However, while you think these 30 resist will help you out they actually disappear when you die. Meaning if you get 100 resist from your gear you’ll see 30 resist all in hell on your stat screen. (-100 + 100 + 30 = 30.) When you die you’ll still see the 30 resist all but the 30 you got from the quests will have vanished leaving you with 0 resist.

What is the Physical Damage Reduction cap in 1.10 PvP?

You can equip two different types or PDR, namely PDR per percentage and straight up PDR. PDR per percentage is far more useful then straight up as someone will hit you for 1000 damage it’s better to reduce it by 10% then by 10. The PDR per percentage is capped at 50%. Meaning you can equip something like 60%, but the game will still treat it as 50%. The straight up PDR is not capped. You’ll have a hard time getting enough of that though.

How important is max blocking in PvP?

Some say it is vital to every character available, others say that if you know how to play your character right you don’t need it. There are two kinds of blocking in PvP: Max blocking and no blocking. Generally you either go with max block or you don’t go with block at all. I think there are very little characters that can go without blocking. Namely two-handed melee attackers like shifting druids or WW barbs who ofcourse couldn’t even block if they want to and teleporting char in a BM surrounding (like a fast cast bone necro). The last type of characters still is in danger as they will get hit whenever a melee opponent comes close. The general consensus is that if you don’t go two-handed you need block.

How important are max resistances in PvP?

Either it’s vital or it’s nonsense. If you’re facing elemental attackers you need your resistances period, if you’re facing a melee crowd only you don’t need it. If you don’t have resist (like –100 in hell) then you’re giving an elemental attacker double his damage without him even doing anything. If you keep your resistances up to 75 (which is normal) you cut all the elemental damage in fourth (after the pvp penalty). Now say you’re facing a good orb sorc and she does 1k orb damage (that’s 1k per shard), if you don’t have resist that would be (1000 : 6) * 2 = ~333 damage (talk about 10 shards hitting you), which is quite a lot. Now if you take the same orber and have 75 resist: 1000 : 6 : 4 = ~40 damage (now 10 shard still hurt, but not that much). I think it is always vital to get max resists. I try to get my resists up to 75 at any moment and while facing elemental attackers to have some max/absorb gear alongside stack.

How important is life leech in PvP?

Short one: Not important. You can leech a little from people’s minions, but leech against other people is non-existent. Don’t build a character around a heavy dose of leech.

How important is mana leech in PvP?

Same as life leech. Most characters don’t need mana leech anyway.

I hear that your damage is reduced in PvP...how much by?

Yes your damage is reduced, ALL damage is reduced. The easiest way to remember this is that you do 1/6 part of the damage you’d normally do. (The hard way is to remember that it has an 83% reduce.) For example, if you normally have a 3k-9k melee attack you’re doing (3+9)/2=6k average damage per swing. Now devide it by 6 to get your PvP damage (1k average with 0,5k low and 1,5k high). Also remember that resistances against elemental attacks and damage reduce against physical attacks reduce that amount even more after the 1/6 mark.

How much absorb is needed to be useful against casters?

In good manner (and in most cases bad manner too) SP PvP you can have two sources of absorb or one source of absorb and one source of max resist gear. It all depends on the opponent you’re up against though. Against a blizzard sorc you’re obviously better off with two sources of absorb (two ravenfrosts often) since she’ll just lower your resists enough that max doesn’t do anything anyway. However if you’re facing a lightning trapper you can get by with a thundergods which is one source of absorb and a source of max. Generally if they hit really hard (mostly sorcs) you’re better off with absorb.

How much absorb is allowed?

We allow in good manner SP PvP two sources of absorb. Check the rule set to see which items are banned. Remember that a source of absorb doesn’t say how much absorb it is, so it can be a low amount, but also up to 40%.

Standard rules for PvP?

Please scroll up a lot to find the standard good manner rules. The standard BM rules are generally something like this:

We fight in Hell. Standard BM rules apply.
    No potions, mercs, wells, or shrines.
    No recasting Cyclone and Bone Armor.
    No minions that cannot be summoned in town with the exception of Decoy.
    No Holy Freeze, Decrepify, or Bone Prison.
    No mass slow (>10%), no mass poison from items (>200), no mass replenish (>25).
    No curse charges (this includes Slow Missiles). Chance to cast is acceptable.
    No overabsorb. Limit 2 items per element with the standard ban on Rising Sun and Black Oak.

Why PvP??

Just copy paste from the introduction:
    What could be better though, then finding a monster that can think for itself, not only trying to kill you, but also trying to outsmart you. Finding a way to beat every opponent while they are trying to do the same to you gives great satisfaction even though it will take some time before you’ll actually do it.

OMG WHY DID I JUS GET PWNED SO HAAAARD!?!?

Well, I don’t know. Try releasing the shift button and work on your grammar. Answer in a short while should be "because you didn't read the PvP bible". Seriously though, you will have a hard time if you just entered PvP for the first time and even if you’re at it for a longer time you will still face opponents that will beat you 5 out of 5 times. Don’t consider yourself ‘pwned’ though, they probably just have better gear and are geared towards facing your current build. If you build a budget sorc you’re likely to find a character at some point in time that you can’t even hurt if he’s standing still. Just remember that you can build those characters too and finding them out if half the fun. Please don’t consider yourself ‘pwned’ if you lose. You can consider yourself ‘pwned’ if you have build a character with all of the best gear available to you, facing an opponent you have build your character to specificly faced, know you have all the top stats, max life and damage and you die because you hit a 30 second lag spike. Then you’re pwned.

Why do i pwn druids all the time, r they teh nubs?

No. And I’ll bet you can’t ‘pwn’ druids all the time. Simply because you faced a druid a couple of times and you won doesn’t mean they are bad. Maybe you have picked up a lucky streak against them, maybe they weren’t ment to duel your character (like taking on an elemental build with a melee only build) and maybe you’re just a good dueler. Try making one of the builds you can defeat all the time and gear it so that you could’ve taken on your own character too.

Why are there rules and restrictions? Can't i just make an uber character and pwn everyone else with cheesy tactics?

Yes you could do that, however there are rules and restrictions to ensure a good time for everyone. You’ll have to ask yourself a question: Am I here for fun or am I here to get as many ears as possible? If you’re here for fun you probably wouldn’t have asked the question, but you’ll understand that if someone just gets his kills by cheesy tactics in the end won’t have anyone to duel anymore because most people won’t like his style of play anyway. If you’re here for the highest pile of ears, please go make a bnet account, name yourself something like ‘TOOEZpppkkpwn’ and make BM chars like with names like ‘pwnPALAezHAHA’ and kill public games there. I’m sure you’ll have a blast.

Why can't I move sometimes, how does stun happen? How do I escape from smite/mb/WoI etc etc etc...

This is a tricky one and one that everyone should know about. Stunlock is the name you’re after. Let me first give two examples.
    If you take a big hit (based on a 1/12 part of your life) you go into hit recovery. Basically you took a big hit and have to recover for a bit. That is bad and sadly happens sometimes.
    You can also get stunned. The barbarian even has a skill called ‘stun’. Stun means you can hit someone making him stunned. If someone is stunned they will notice because they have ‘two white swirley’s’ above their character. If someone is stunned not only will the heavy hits make them go into hit recovery but ALL hits will make them go into hit recovery. This means that it doesn’t matter if a barb hits you with a berzerk or a quill rat hits you with a melee attack, if you are stunned you will go into hitrecovery.
    The problem with hitrecovery is that it takes a certain amount of time to get out of. You can’t move, attack or do anything (besides block I guess) while you’re in hit recovery. This makes you a sitting duck, something you’ll want to avoid. The problem of course is that if you’re not out of hit recovery before the next stunning attack comes in you’re basically screwed because then the cycle starts again.. and again. This is why trapsins are so deadly, they can mindblast you (stunning you) while the traps make you go in hit recovery (each time a trap hits you they hurt and make you stand in place).
    Luckily there’s something you can do about it. Find items with Faster Hit Recovery. Make sure you hit the desired breakpoint (for most characters that’s at 86%, but make sure you check with the guides). Also sometimes certain attacks make you avoid being stun locked, the best known is WW. You’re moving and attacking and while doing so you can’t be locked up. Also charge is a good example. If you’re stunned you can charge around (or out of the trap field) until the swirley’s disappear.

Why do I get hit by invisible projectiles?

Yes, this happens sometimes. Basically this is bad and there’s nothing you can really do about it. If you’re facing an opponent that shoots or casts projectiles (necro’s bones, amazons arrows, paladins hammers), you’ll have to be careful. Normally you run around with your map on trying to find your opponent. However if you’re too far away and they attack (shoot arrows for instance) they will exist but you can’t see them. Meaning that you can run around normally but suddenly get hit by thin air (you walked into the path of the shot arrows and connected with one). This is a problem that can’t be fixed. The best way to avoid this is to keep close to people. What is close? Try to keep them on your minimap. If you see the red dot on the map you generally are sure they won’t be able to shoot/cast stuff which will travel so far that it will disappear. This is also why you have to be very careful at the start of duels where you’re not on each others maps yet. Normally the caster or ranged will fire a couple of volleys to see if you walk into them. If you don’t they’ll move to go look for you.

Is pvp very equipment dependant? Can I make an uber pvp char without the godliest gear?

This is a two fold. Yes PvP is very gear dependant. However you can also make very good duelers without the gear (take a look at this guide). The duels taking place will rely on various things, the gear, the match up but also very importantly the skill of the players. If you have played your character and know him and his abilities you can easily take someone on who does have the best gear but doesn’t know how to play well. Normally if you want to take on the top of the line duelers (which have both equip and skill) then yes, you’ll need good gear of your own. However you can take on those same duelers without the gear. You’ll win less, but probably have a better feeling when you do.

Player skills vs uber equip, which is better?

Player skill hands down. I always remember the time where I was in a game dueling normally having fun with an average V/T paladin (FoH and Smite). Someone came in with a level 99 necromancer. Not only had he hacked his character, he also hacked his gear (making it top of the line). Instead of calling names and reporting him, I decided to duel him to see what he was made of. Long story short I killed him easily while he certainly had the advantage if he had skill. He left to grab another hacked character (99 WW barb) with which I went about 50/50 (while normally he should’ve 5-0’d me). While I had a nice dueler, I still wasn’t top of the line (by far) still I could beat this guy. Of course is gear important if might even be the deciding factor if two experienced duelers fight each other, however I’d rather have the skill then the equipment.

Idiots guide to making your own pvp tourney pls!

I’d start by first reading the guide, building your character and trying him out in PvP games. Don’t think you’re very good because you’ve played PvM for a long time and because you followed the best guide out there. PvP takes different skill then PvM.

Gimme links to fhr/ias/fbr/fcr tables!

Most of the tables you need are discussed in the guides, however if you need them to do testing or equipping other characters at own insight I suggest going to the strategy compendium which is linked in the thanks section at the bottom of the guide.

How can I target the player, not his/her minion(s)?

This is often found hard, especially if you’re up against a shifting wolf with 5 other wolfs surrounding him. If you have an auto target skill like FoH (which is probably why you asked this question), you can’t simply shift attack as you will likely attack one of the minions instead of the character. If you want to target the character you will have to move your mouse over the actual player and click him (with the spell button of course). This is called name locking (nl). NL is very useful, not only in targeting your opponent with almost every attack available but also if you hold the button down you can keep attacking someone even though he’s of your screen. This is useful if your attack is ranged or can be cast even if the opponent is normally out of reach. It’s also useful if you’re chasing someone down.

What character is the cheapest to equip well?

Try reading a couple of the character guides in this guide. Most of them have cheaper setups posted alongside the best items.

Final question which covers a couple of asked before with a well written (extended) answer:

Why should I try PvP? What makes it good? Do I need 1337 gear for it? If I'm a PvP newb, can I expect to get royally PWNED by all you 1337 guys that play it all the time? If so, how is that fun for me?

Well, you can get your PvM fill simply by leveling the PvP characters yourself firstly. Though PvP'ing in SP is somewhat ironic, I like the atmosphere so much more than b.net, (as I wasn't part of a duelling league with set rules, I left every pubbie game angry). PvP'ing pits you against thinking, strategizing, human opponents who can change tactics mid-duel and surprise or confuse you. Each duel is different and your learn to read and counter opponents differently. For example, I treat Firestorms amazon much differently than I treat my brothers. Both have extremely different playing styles and wield their characters very differently. Some players tactics are hard to understand, but the fun of PvP is learning how to read the many duelers and figure out what works best against them.

L33t gear is not required but obviously helps. Basically, as long as you have (in most cases) your 50% PDR, max block, a decent lvl char, good resists and an absorb if applicable, and are willing to have fun and give it your all, then you should be fine. Oh and the way I think of it, there is always some character out there better than yours, so keep your eyes on the prize and keep getting better. (Oh, and on the opposite spectrum, there are always characters out there that are worse than yours, so don't worry if you lose a lot, especially at first)

I doubt you'll get royally thrashed by "us l33t guys" if you keep in mind what I said above. I'm not gonna lie, most PvP characters in SP were built with PvP in mind and usually have good gear and decent skills. (There are PvP chars that can be made cheaply, but some chars require uber gear to be effective) But, I'm a firm believer in the "every character has a weakness, you just have to find it" rule. An example from a duel game that took place a couple months ago where a Druid, an Assassin, and a Paladin (among the other chars in the game) My Druid was able to smack the crap out of this assassin, however, the Assassin could really put the hurtdown on the Paladin, but my Druid was unable to beat down the Paladin. This is a poor 4-in-the-morning example, but it's like a circle in some cases, some characters are simply better or worse against other characters classes. If you cannot beat a particular character in some cases, perhaps your character is somehow weak against that class but might have an advantage against another. Duelling just helps you recognise that, so basically, (in my eyes at least) there can be no best PvP character. PvP is a world away from PvM in that you are pitting strategies against another and sometimes very unpredictable human being. No eating sandwiches or watching t.v. while you play like in PvM, you actually have to pay attention.

15. Sint Nikolaas

Thanks.

Thank you for reading this guide. I could thank a whole bunch of people but first I should thank the people I tricked in to helping me write this elephant.
    In no particular order:
    Colony, thanks for the write up on the Bonemancer.
    XDoomasX, thanks for the write up on the Barbarian.
    Zhao Yue, thank you for the Sorceress guide.
    Kabal, thanks for the Assassin guide.
    Liquid Evil, thanks for the Druid section. You’ve helped me on the FAQ too. Good show.
    All of these five guys helped me out with the things I mentioned here above, but they have read trough my guides too as well as help me decide which builds should be presented in this guide. They helped me cut some knots and kept me at work.

Besides those guys I’d like to mention the SP dueling scene, thanks to anyone I’ve dueled out there. Thanks for keeping my hopes up when D2 was less attracting. I won’t mention anyone in particular, since I would probably leave out some that deserve thanking.

Not only the dueling scene needs to be thanked, I’d like the thank the forums I frequent. I’m posting this at the SPF as I know most people will read it here and it’s the most active forum of the ones I go to. Thanks to you for keeping my spirits up and providing me with opponents to cut my ears off. Again no one in particular, well.. one then since I’d probably get e-harassed if I don’t mention Toppo in all these pages. GG mate.
    Also at the people who were awaiting this guide for a long time: I’m sorry, it took longer then expected to write up, where I was also sometimes affected by that darn real life from time to time. I hope the end result will make up for it.

Besides the important things I’d like to thank the PvP, Barbarian and Druid forums from diabloii for providing interesting discussions, the necessary links and information.
    As a separate thanks I’d like to link the the Facts and Formulae Archive located here http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551 which helped a lot on various occasions and may help you on many more.

---------

If you've read trough (parts of) the whole thing. Then thank you too. Please, you can leave comments on anything we may have forgotten or wrong. Please be gentle and polite in your comments. If you want to flame or troll any part of the guide or writers, please do so in a PM and send it to me. I will then forward it to the mods. Thanks. :grin:

- Sint
    - Chris

16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

GG Sint and all the PvP'ers who contributed to this. :thumbsup:

I'm still reading but my initial reaction is this really should be stickied.

(Oh and :spammer:x15 :wink:)

17. Freekje

Freekje IncGamers Member

Wow Sint (and maybe other PvPers who contributed)

This looks amazing. I have read the first two posts, and it is really good! I might even build a PvP character in the future!

:thumbsup:

18. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Looks pretty good Sint, I'm glad you took up the project of compiling all the info. There's some good stuff in there (most notably that sweet druid guide :wink:) Its nice to finally see it finished. Kudos!

19. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Wow impressive write up. I think ill print it off for some in school reading :thumbsup:

20. buffa

buffa IncGamers Member

I think that if I can continue play diablo for 1 year more, I might end up in deuling... Great guilde.