Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Ultimate PvM Survivor?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by [cK]Extreme, May 28, 2005.

1. [cK]Extreme

[cK]Extreme IncGamers Member

The Ultimate PvM Survivor?

Just curious, what build do you think survives the best in hell? Assuming you have the most ideal items, of course (minus absorb stacking for elemental situations, cheaaaap). Being able to actually kill things would be a plus, but im talking survival here. Baals minions are about to spawn in hell, and I have to go afk for a few minutes. What stands the best chance of survival? :clap: (i dont want to depends entirely melee leech).

I remember my WW sin back in the early days of ladder being pretty strong with fade, but she relied pretty heavy on leech (not to mention i traded for the items to build her, which I wont be doing this time. Untwinked!)

What do you think?

2. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Cast a tp and go back to town, 100% chance of surviving.

On a serious note, don't think any char can survive listor when your afk.

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Skellemancer with his horde, Bowazon with valkyrie.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

If you want to go melee, a Concentrate Barb is pretty kick ass. Otherwise what Hrus said.

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Yes I forgot the cocentrate barb, how could I?

6. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Well... honestly, I find my hammerdin to be pretty unstoppable.

Few things that take him down:
    1) Hordes upon hordes of Stygian dolls that just happen to explode RIGHT ON TOP OF ME.
    2) Excessive Oblivion Knight+Gloam+Viper packs tightly bunched together. This usually only happens in the Throne area, and is an issue because of the few narrow cooridors on the way to Baal's minions. Little harder to dodge Lightning + Tail Spear Things + Elemental attacks while decrepified.
    3) Lister spawning directly on top of me.(Basically I end up directly in the middle of the group. Like 100% in the middle, and they all strike at once. A little under half of the time I'll not block any and get dominated)

Other than that he totes around ~350% MF, 75/75/80/75 Resists, 1.6k life, 500 mana(PLENTY!), 9k defense, max blocking, and around 9k Blessed Hammer damage. As well as some lightning absorb from TGods and a miniscule 10% Damage Reduction from Harlequin Crest. Overall he's like a tiny god. I love him a lot.

7. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

@Serdash: Godly hammerdinds are unstoppable, but the builds I have named can do nice without uber gear.
    With most godly items, I would say wolfbarb could be one of the best.

8. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Daggerzon with maxed Valk and some points in Decoy, a few levels in d/a/e with +skills, max damage reduction, resists and block. Holy freeze merc with kelpie snare or reaper's toll for extra fun (or a defiance merc with Doom).

Probably not the most survivable, but certainly pretty hard to kill.

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

The 3 safest builds i think would be iron barb, singer, ES sorc and fishy. damn thats 4 builds. Oh well.
    Iron barb for massive defence ( = rarely gets hit), singer because of the stun and high life (tried and tested by me to be very safe after some practise), ES sorc (95% fo damage sent to mana, and with enough PDR and MDR you can kill the last 2 packs of baals minions on a single HP and not worry), and fishy (obvious. 10ish skeles, revives and crowd control curses)
    a good Wolfbarb could be up there, with insane life and quick killing it qwould be hard for a non FE boss to take you down.

10. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

a defiance palidan with fastest block rate, 50%DR and 100k defense could stand in front of lister longer than an iron barb, because he said without attacking, and the conc barb wouldnt gain the benifit of conc. besides the fact that he probably has a higher defense anyways.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

True, if he fel asleep mid baal run, a defiance pally would probably last longer than a iron barb, but you also have to take into account barbs very high life, and things like nat res and iron skin will kepe his defence high, if not uber high.

12. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

A few questions:

LIliel: Why a Daggerzon? i.e.,why do you recommend that a tankazon have a dagger?

FB and FodderCannoned: The high defence and blocking of the Barbs and Pallys you suggest wouldn't help with ranged elemental attacks. So they have a resist of 75%? They'll go down pretty quickly won't they? Same problem with ES Sorc, too.

I think Hrus answer was best: a Skellimancer.

13. farting bob

farting bob Banned

True, ranged elemtals will probably pwn, but a ES sorc absorbs all types of damage except posion, so it could probably outlive most thing if it had good enough mana, mana regen and DR.
    If you just put a fishy in the WSK and leave him, he will quickly find that he gets spotted by 1 monster at least and once he gets spotted, the bone armour will fall pretty quick and then your very vulnerable.

14. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

IIRC, the reason pple recommend a daggerzon is because the attack/block animation for a zon to swing a weapon is longer than a stabbing weapon, hence daggers better than swords.

Actually, if its just standing there, I think a fully equiped ES sorc would survive in the middle of Baal's minions as long as ES is up simply her mana is constantly replenishing and some life replenish can handle the rest.

15. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

He's afk, and no curses/CE. If listor spawns with extra fast, stone skin, fanat, its gg to skellymancers.

16. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

If you're making a tankazon with a shield, a one handed swinging weapon like a sword, axe or mace will get you the worst block recovery of any character by far. Even Necromancers recover faster. With a dagger, your block recovery is the same as an Assassin's; 12 frames faster than if you used a sword. 12 frames!

Besides, it's highly satisfying to stab someone and watch them slowly bleed to death (open wounds).

Uh, in the game, that is... I'm not... a homocidal psychotic or anything... much...

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Dont knock it until youve tried it. :thumbsup:
    Anyway, daggerzons might have a block rate, but they lack the skills to really tank. dodgeing is fine, but you wont last too long.

18. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

An Avenger is a great tank and can kill every monster in the game without changing the skill they use. Wearing GA and with a high level Holy Shield, you can have 95% res all, 75% block rate, massive defense (especially with Exile), and you can even get 35% PDR from a Vamp Gaze and Verdungo's. The only thing that offsets this is that he can only attack one monster at a time.

19. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Don't underestimate dodge/avoid... an enemy has to get past defense, 75% blocking and 50% dodge or 60% avoid. That isn't so easy to do (and with max resist and DR the samage done isn't so bad anyway). She can survive things where most characters pale at the thought. She can kill packs of Stygian Dolls without much fear. She can be surrounded by gloams or fire archers. She can be left in front of Diablo by a player who went to get a beer from the fridge. And she survives it all, or at least a great deal better than most any other build. Not as survivable as a skelemancer, but then, what is? And if D/A/E wasn't enough, there is also the high level Valk and Decoy so you don't get surrounded (and a Tankazon's Valk is nigh immortal).

Surviving isn't a Daggerzon's challenge. It's finding a good dagger and actually killing stuff with it.

That's probably not such a challenge for someone who wields Wirt's Leg though.

20. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Aren't lister and his minions attacks all ITD? That'd kind of knock out a defiance paladin and iron barb.