Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

the ultimate newb guide

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by gods_pawn, Feb 6, 2004.

1. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

the ultimate newb guide

Hey guys. I'm thinking about writing up a huge guide to being a diablo 2 noob. things i'm thinking about including are steps to creating that first character, meeting new people, building wise characters, making mfers, making duelers, ways to level up quickly, how to magic find, diablo 2 etiquette, heck ANYTHING you can think of on the diablo road from cracked sashes to full griswold's set.

so i figured i'd post this beforehand and ask you guys for some suggestions on what you think, things you might want to see in this guide (as it will be huge - wouldn't want to miss anything) and maybe even submit some tips you would like to see in it. thanks a TON guys and remember - this is for the community, by the community.

gods_pawn

2. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Good idea. I think a few scam examples would be nice for someone who've just started to play (how to avoid being a victim). And "Blizzard will NEVER ask for you password" can not be said too many times either, I think. But post this in the newcomer forum also (and check the current threads for ideas).

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

That would be a massive undertaking gods_pawn, I like your ambitiousness! To be quite honest I'm not sure that a full-fledged newbie guide is all that necessary; I usually direct newbies to Arreat Summit, this site and a couple others.

However, a newbie guide to navigating BNet would be very nice. Particularly a compilation of several things:

1.) Detailed explanation of all the available chat commands.

2.) Chat ettiquette (it would be nice to teach the newcomers some nicer habits)

3.) Finding games and people to play with.

4.) Common abbreviations (You might want to ask Alainpp66 if you can use his awesome list; it's stickied in the Newcomer's forum)

5.) Common scams to watch out for (I know plenty of veterans who could use a chapter like this) :p

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. I'll be glad to help in any way I can!

4. BartXeno

BartXeno IncGamers Member

This would be great. I just started playing with a guy who is totally new to the game. He doesn't even have his first character past level 20, I think. It would be great to be able to steer him to a good, comprehensive guide rather than the group I'm with not thinking to tell/warn him of things until they come up.

5. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Definately a good idea. I think even from that list above, there is enough material to make a basic guide and then add things. I always like to put down whatever I have and then relook over it and add new things.

A poster in the New Comer Forum suggested linking this guide to some other commonly asked questions like Pit running.

I think the best way to go about this is to think of it like an FAQ. New players will definately want to learn about MFing and PvP sooner or later. The commonly used abbreviations idea is very good which could be extended to include commonly used terms and trends. This list could be updated of course.

There could also be links in the finalized version to various cookie-cutter guides or at least non-tweaked guides to give them a headstart into beating the game, should they choose this road.

6. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

yeah thanks for the input so far. yeah i know it's a huge undertaking, but i like challenges like this. i want it to be like the ultimate noob guide - one that everyone should read. scams is a great suggestion, and the chat commands as well - i didn't think of this yet. already ahead of you on the newcomer forum! i posted it here and there at the same time. i was also thinking of the other character forums as well, just for some class specific input.

*jots all this down on notepad*

:D

7. Onefuryz

Onefuryz IncGamers Member

Good idea as long as u call it the newbie guide and not the noob guide.

8. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

heh i remember when i first started playing in 1.09 during the soj craze, i used to go around asking what a soj was and how do i get one :lol:

9. da_vindicator

da_vindicator IncGamers Member

Maybe it's a good idea to write a piece of how to get started on realms. What builds are easy and not too item dependant, where to get some basic items, the importance of making friends online, a part on muling, etc.

10. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

You should have done it four years ago :lol:

11. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I thought of doing something like this a few weeks ago, along the lines of adding links to common questions asked by newcommers to the game & the forums ...

... I put it on hold for a while.

12. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

A really good way to level is to do Lister and friends in Act 5 normal from level 35-65, they level you like crazy, doing minions+ bhaal can give you two whole levels at the lower levels.

13. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

The best advice I can give is "Start playing in single player". That way noone can spoil your fun or stress you up. And you can take your time to explore everything with the game.
    I remember that I used to take the "short cut" from Mephisto's lair to act 4, and I had no idea how to go to act 1 from act 5 and so on. I didn't know that you can use the wp:s to different acts... That's what you get for not consulting the web or the manual :) But after a week I'd learned a lot of these details.
    But my friend was even worse. He started out with an assassin. After a while he complained about having no room in stash nor inventory. "How is this possible?" I asked. "It's all those damned keys!" ha answered. I explained that assassins don't need any keys and he dropped about 50 full sets of keys! "I thought you needed them for completing some quests" he explained.
    Good times! And you have to remember how yourself was as a newcomer. You have to "lower" your knowledge, as you are taking on people who don't even know what mana is (some of them). I think that's the most difficult with helping newcomers - you tend to take too much for granted. Therefore the newcomers themselves are the best help you can get when you're making a guide for newcomers.

14. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

haha - should've done this 4 years ago - tell me about it. but hey, back then i was still in single player with my cold sorc name "frostburn" who had wasted skill points ALL over, and struggling to beat the chaos sanctuary in normal.....

*sigh* good times.

yeah the term "newbie" or "new player" is a lot more friendly than "noob". i'll be sure that my guide is "politically correct"......bah.

i was planning on going over just about anything i can think of - and size isn't an issue for me. i'm goin to college and got like 2 - 5 hour gaps in most of my classes - i need SOMETHING to do.

i'll probably start a single player game, look at everything that happens to me, pretending i don't know anything, and make several notes. "wtf is that blue ball?!" i can remember asking myself. "arrows? why can't i stab someone with them??" is another.

haha, 50 sets of keys, that's great. i can remember how i compulsively used EVERY rare/set/unique i found, just because of the shiny colors......

keep the suggestions comin. thanks guys.

15. c64flash

c64flash IncGamers Member

Indeed, I hope you (gods_pawn) are not writing a guide on "being a noob".

newb=state of skill
    noob=state of mind

16. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Fearox brought up an excellent point that should be highlighted in your guide. It's best to experience the entire game in Single Player before moving onto the realms. It not only helps a newbie get oriented to the controls and basic gameplay, but it also teaches you the quests and how to complete them.

This should be the very first line of the guide:

"READ THE MANUAL!"

The only thing I hate about some newbies is the fact that many of them spend half an hour asking me basic questions that are covered in the manual.

Other random thoughts:

For the character building section, mention that there are 505 total attribute points and 110 skill points to distribute (at lvl.99 with all quests completed).

What about a downloadable PDF with character record sheets you can use to plan your character and keep track of their progress; newbies and some veterans like to have these. I made some nice printable record sheets with MSWorks about a year ago and I've recently remade them with Word.

If people are interested, I could email them here and have them available in the Downloads section. You could have a link to them in your guide.

Oh, one more thing -- a brief section on remapping hotkeys for optimal access. This is mainly for necros (who usually need a lot of em) and Assassins (who need to switch between a few skills rapidly).

17. Mythreal

Mythreal IncGamers Member

Nice idea Godspawn, and cudos for giving something back to the community. Net gamers are not always known for being selfless.

4 years ago, lol, nice one. Remember when finding a golden "rare" item was exciting, and something to be equiped right away. LoL How about your first multiple lightning enhanced insta death.

After 4 years it is really still possible to remember the good old noob-newbie days. :)

18. corndog420

corndog420 IncGamers Member

Is that an original? That's pretty slick, and if you don't mind, I may put it in a couple of my signatures (only I'd go a bit further and make newb=newbie). I'll give due credit, obviously, but I really like that quote.

So-as to not get OT, I'd love to see a comprehensive newbie guide that espouses the "Golden Rule." Shoot, it would be useful even for Vets, if done correctly, as it would likely be able to explain some aspects of the game that might not be fully understood (like how MF works). I wish you the best of luck, and if you need any help proofreading, etc, I'm very available. I could provide any assistance, should you need any. I'm currently not working full-time, so you can e-mail me if you need help. Either way, it's a very good idea.

19. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

I really don't agree with the singleplayer part...too much risk of frustration that leads to cheating.

20. th5418

th5418 Banned

if you made the ultimate newb guide, then the newcommers forum wont be tehre no more. NO HALF MY POSTS GONE!