Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

the ultimate newb guide

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by gods_pawn, Feb 6, 2004.

1. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

the ultimate newb guide

Hey guys. I'm thinking about writing up a huge guide to being a diablo 2 noob. things i'm thinking about including are steps to creating that first character, meeting new people, building wise characters, making mfers, making duelers, ways to level up quickly, how to magic find, diablo 2 etiquette, heck ANYTHING you can think of on the diablo road from cracked sashes to full griswold's set.

so i figured i'd post this beforehand and ask you guys for some suggestions on what you think, things you might want to see in this guide (as it will be huge - wouldn't want to miss anything) and maybe even submit some tips you would like to see in it. thanks a TON guys and remember - this is for the community, by the community.

gods_pawn

2. flabergaster

flabergaster IncGamers Member

Well I think it’s a good idea. For some things (like the pit) you could make links to other threads that already contain most of the info you need to know about how to do things so we don't have people making threads over and over even though the answers are already there(like the pit). Maybe you should include one build from each class. And just go over the most commonly asked questions like who is a good mfer? And were should I mf? Maybe use the blizzard sorc and meph runs for those questions because a blizzard sorc is a good build for meph. Include the little things like 50 DR cap, fcr break points, fhr break points ect, go over the good and the bad about max block. There is a lot more I can say but I am hungry lol.

3. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

Hey flabergaster, mind going over this now? What in the world could possibly be wrong with having max block?

Glenn
    ....an apparently ignorant new Pally

4. GoreSpilr

GoreSpilr IncGamers Member

I think its a great idea. I think its great to have a comprenive how-to/faq type thing. people like myself are lazy and will ask questions instead of reading a guide. Id contribute what I can, being a perma-noob. good idea. you know what I would like? something to do with items that are worth keeping, I never know.
    GS.

5. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

LOL my question exactly!
    (says the druid who gave up a pretty rhymed grim shield and went with Whistans to hit max block)

6. Jonashi

Jonashi IncGamers Member

Well the problem is if you cover everything, it won't exactly be a guide to newbs (correct spelling), will it? It will be an extensive online players guide.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... But most of the information is already widely available on the summit and of course the wonderful DII.net.

A guide for newbs IMO should include some basic things that are often misunderstood.
    -Requirements and how to circumvent them.
    -mods such as Open Wounds, Deadly Strike and the like.
    -basic combat (blocking, pros and cons of 2-h weapons, bows)
    -starting early untwinked characters (pick up those poison potions for extra cash)
    -pros and cons of synergies
    -fun vs. cookycutter and combinations thereof
    -PvP/PK issues and dangers (is TPhack still on? town exits are hazardous)
    -earning and showing respect (make a request only once (tp/pp plz once!))
    -finding out stuff for yourself (not looking for elite gear right away and appreciate all the low-midlvl stuff blizzard put in for our entertainment).
    -Cubing basics and Runes
    -Trading issues and principles (explain why the checkbox turns red a lot)

Well that covers most bases for early players in my book. Heck, I could write the thing myself, but I would always miss SOME stuff people would want to see included. Which in turn would defeat the purpose again (newb guide -> pro guide).

7. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

awesome guys - thanks for the contributions thus far. i'm busy making a huge list of the things to include - and yeah i understand that ANYTHING one would want to know about diablo is online, but a lot of people just don't know where or even how to find it. so if i throw it ALL together, it will be a general nice guide for everyone.

keep the suggestions coming!

trading - good suggestion as well - didn't think of that yet.
    same with the determining of item worth - i go through that ALL the time.
    and definately the pros/cons of max block - as demonstrated already :p

8. spaker_man

spaker_man IncGamers Member

I would have to think that the bad about max block is if you don't have any faster block rate and you are a melee character you might find yourself paralyzed by block lock in a crowd. Where as if you didn't have max block and just took a couple extra hits then your faster hit recovery would keep you up and swinging.

gods_pawn, this is a good idea, maybe something that would be stickied when you finish.

Advice I like to give to new players I meet are:
    - use gems in sockets at the beginning, get a fast sword or bow with 2 or 3 sockets and put a couple topaz in there with maybe a sapphire for cold dmg.

- experiment with your skills, your first char will not be perfect, but it should be fun! try out different combinations rather than asking what is the best skill. Each skill can be powerful if used in the right way.

- keep your merc around, they are a tremendous help through the first 3 acts. especially if you don't let them fall too far behind in levels.

- confiure the space bar to be the alternate hotkey for whichever belt slot you keep your rejuv potions in. It's much easier to hit the space bar when you're in a tight spot then to look at which number to hit. It also helps you save your merc (shift + spacebar is a lot easier to hit then shift + 4)

- Do not beg for items. A lot of players will offer up some gear they no longer need but will never give it to those people who ask for it. Concentrate on playing and being a courteous team mate and you will meet some fantastic people online. Ignore people who flame you for being a "noob", they are not worth your time. Personally I wish I could be a "noob" again.

That's all I can think of,

Good luck with your guide man

SPAK

9. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I usually make the assumption that most people in the newcomers forum do not play hardcore.

Max block is a BIG decision to make in hardcore because you have 2 routes to go: Max block, or more life/better mods.

The prime example are Necromancers and Sorceresses. I ride the line since my HC Necro keeps blocking in the 60% range, and hopefully that will improve if I can craft a good enough safety amulet.

Hydra sorcs and blizzard sorcs don't need block... it's just stupid to waste dex points in it.

My suggestion: Put a Hardcore section in the newb guide because there is this perception that character builds can be the same in both soft and hard, and they're not (and it's not just VIT stats).

10. Jomero

Jomero IncGamers Member

Hmmm. If I were to make a guide for newbies, as in people COMPLETLEY new to the game of Diablo 2, I would include the following:

1. Tell them to enjoy the game. Come on, when we were all new we didn't just jump right onto Battle.net and min/maxing our characters. No, we played the game because it had an awesome story. I would recommend that anyone new to the game play through the game single player to be completely immersed in the awesome world Blizzard created.

2. Explain that no matter what you do, your first character will most likely end up being remade. And it may be remade again. We all learn a little bit too late that our first, awesome character just can't cut it later in the game (talking Nightmare/Hell here). The trick is not getting frustrated about it. With every secessive time you go through D2, you get better at leveling your characters faster and more efficiently.

3. Do research as to what will make your character the best it can be. Ask around in the forums. Read the FAQ's and guides here.

4. Read #1 again. Have fun going through the game the way it was meant to be played first and foremost. Don't worry about min/maxing your character. Just play the game and have fun. Then afterwards you can join the maddening world of Battle.net and creating the "biggest bang for the buck" character. :D

-Jomero

11. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

thanks guys so far. yeah i'll definately throw the "hey it's a GAME, have FUN" part in. and definately DEFINATELY address the item beggers - none seem to realize that "hey, most of us worked hard for those, and don't want to give them away to pesky characters begging." afterall, THEY didn't get that rich by "begging" for stuff!

and there will definately be heavy links all over this site and mount arreat - AWESOME resources - i can't think of anything there that either site doesn't have regarding diablo (minus getting hacks and cheating, etc).

keep the suggestions comin - think of stuff you had trouble with, and had a hard time finding, or just what you think would be helpful.

12. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

There actually are guides for new players. There are FAQs everywhere, but people don't bother to read them. There are also links to calculators, abbreviations, and guides to building characters, but people are too lazy.

13. flabergaster

flabergaster IncGamers Member

well im kinda late answering...it seems some people have said why, but some of the pros and cons are for example if you dont go with max block you get more life but if you do go with max block you get less life but more chance of blocking wich might make you loose less life because you wont get hit. i agree with you though i like going with max block but some people dont so they can get more life.hope that answer your question.

14. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

*BAAACK ON TOPIC*

yeah i realize there's information EVERYWHERE. but guess what? it's ALL over. and a lot of that isn't incredibley helpful unless you have a certain foundation of knowledge built up already.

suggestions please guys - this forum is pretty much the target audience here - i would LOVE for more input from you guys. thanks a ton!

15. Masenko

Masenko IncGamers Member

---A scam/hack warning section.
    ()Maphack/mfbots can get your cdkey disabled, Tradehack, Annihilus scam, etc.

---An item value section.
    ()Finding a cham rune and trading it for a moser's shield. (Yes, when I was a newbie I did something a little like that...)

---What items to keep
    ()For example:
    - Runes above _#_
    - Certain mods on magical charms, jewels, amulets
    - Gull dagger & other worthless-looking mf items
    - Pgems

16. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

1. Please make sure you explain in easy to understand terms cast rate and speed breakpoints. I can't count the new players I've come across using 90% FCR when the next breakpoint for them is 125%. Better gear is being sacrificed there. How many new zons think that they'll rock if they put two shael runes in a Hellrack? Ugh!
    2. Touch on ways they might be scammed.
    3. BASICS on poison damage and how it works. Tao of Poison is excellent but the average 14 year old might find it a bit intimidating to grasp. How many people running around with inventory full of poison charms whacking monsters with zeal?
    4. Touch on ethics. Subjective I know but maphack users are simply cheaters. I won't say what I really think.
    5. Explian chat basics both in chat room and in game. Friends list too.
    6. Tell 'em how to avoid PK'ers. Those lovely aholes just below the maphack users on the worthlessness scale.

Glenn

17. gods_pawn

gods_pawn Banned

ok great guys thanks. this idea seems to be slowing down, so i've got the main gist of things. keep an eye out for specific questions like "how do you do *this*" or "which do you like best of *that*".

much appreciated - rough draft in progress.

18. gblan

gblan IncGamers Member

I see more people asking things like, "Is this <insert item name here> that I found any good"? or "Can I get Occy for Skullders?" than anything else. How you would address these type of questions in a guide would be tough but it could be done. Maybe call the section, "If you have it it's worthless and if you need it it's priceless."
    GB

19. patheticloser

patheticloser IncGamers Member

Mule information

New players need to know how to transfer gear across characters. For example, keep a game open for 5 min. and it will stay open for 5 more min, even if nobody is in the game. Sounds risky but it works for me, and I don't have to find a friend online to do it.

Also, if you build a char that sucks in NM don't delete it. Use it to find low lvl items for your next try. You will also find that a mule with 100 str can hold more than a mule with 20.

You should make you guide very simple. Don't use any abreviations, I found that the shorthand used in the guides was hard to follow. (Heck I am still not sure what SS is. Storm shield? A barb with 2 swords? )

Give them general guidlines to playing each char. I once saw a newbie play a necromancer, he was trying to hit things with his wand. He never seemed to get that he should stand back and curse/summon.

Suggest that they beat the game on normal in single player before moving on to b-net.

Please forgive the following advertisement. Go to belkin.com and take a look at the N50 and N52 speedpad. You can configure it to mimic any key on your keyboard. I don't have to look at the keyboard to use a potion or swith skills. This is a good tool for new and old players.