Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The ultimate equipment? (MF Light Sorc)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by neurro, May 24, 2005.

1. neurro

neurro Diabloii.Net Member

The ultimate equipment? (MF Light Sorc)

Hello, my sorc is a level 87 chainlightning/fo sorc with an act2 hell defensive mercenary. Here is my current equipment:

2x Nagel Rings
    Tal Amulet
    Tal Armor (ptopaz)
    Tal Belt
    Perfect Shako (ptopaz)
    Occy
    War Travs (47mf)
    Frostburns

Merc has the following:
    Fortitude (Wire Fleece)
    Andariel's Visage (non-eth)
    Insight.

I plan to purchase a CTA, and also work on getting an Infinity for my Merc, but other than that I don't know what I should think of upgrading to. Any ideas? Please include ideas for all equpiment slots if you're able!

2. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman Diabloii.Net Member

It all depends if you plan to do more damage or boost your MF.

If lightning is your main attack, a Griffon's Eye will make a huge difference in the damage done (either with PTopaz for MF, or Lightning RBF for damage). Eschuta can be a nice choice too, but since Lightning Mastery already boosts the damage, it would be better to keep your Oculus with a Lightning RBF inside (so you can keep those 50% MF). Infinity is a very nice choice for that same reason, though quite expensive.

One thing you can improve for sure is your Cast Rate. You only have 60 with your equipment (10% from Armor, 10% from Belt, 10% from Amulet and 30% from Oculus). The next breakpoint is 65. Try to find a good rare ring with 10% FCR and some MF/Resistances. Some gambling should grant you this ring quite fast. You'll see a nice difference in casting teleporting / CL.

3. neurro

Some very sound advice there. A Griffon's Eye would be nice, and definitely a RBF for my occulus. I'm not too concerned about my MF, it's already a wonderful 450 or so, and as long as I can get more effective killing gear and maintain around 300-350 MF I'll be happy. What about switching to CoH or Viper instead of my Tal Armor, and a Maras for my amulet? Just speculation there, not sure how effective that gear would be for my particular build.

4. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman Diabloii.Net Member

Sincerely, I've never been an addict of Tal Rasha's Set, even if I have to admit it's one of the most effective Set in the game. All of the sorceresses I've build use rather Vipermagi, or Enigma (for my very last sorc).

Vipermagi is a very nice choice if you choose to let your Tal's set apart. It offers 30% more FCR, nice resistances, and +1 Skills. All what a sorceress can dream of :p You're free to upgrade the armor for more defense, and put an UM for more resistances or a PTopaz for more MF. If you do so, you'll want to aim for the very last (reachable) FCR breakpoint that is 105 FCR.

BTW, I've just seen you didn't list your shield, but I assume it's Lidless Wall or Spirit. The last option is the best one : Skills, FHR, FCR, Resistances, Life, Mana... This shield is insane for every caster, but you'll need 156 Strength to wear the lighter one (Monarch). However, if your strength is a problem for you, Lidless is still a very nice option. But wait to see the following, there are ways to circumvent this.

I'll list my own equipement, if it can help you, and explain my choices :

Equipment :

Shako 141 Def "IST"
    Mara's Kaleidoscope 30% Res All
    Upgraded (for fun :lol: ) Oculus "IST"
    Upgraded Mage Fist (Upgrading not really useful, but since I have enough strength, why not...)
    15% Superior Archon Enigma
    35% FCR 109/8 Spirit in 15% Superior Monarch
    50% MF War Travelers
    Arachnid Mesh 115%
    2*20 Strength Rare Rings (Temp gear : Waiting for better rings and for Annihilus)

Secondary weapons :

4/4/3 Call To Arms Crystal Sword
    Spirit Monarch (Whatever stats, I only need the +2 Skills)

Charms :

Prismatic Resistances / MF
    156/14/40 Gheed's Fortune

Mercenary (Act 2 Holy Freeze) :

316/-55 Ethereal Cryptic Axe "Infinity" (Conviction Aura)
    Ethereal Sacred Armor "Chains Of Honor" 1524 Def
    15% IAS Andariel's Visage (Waiting for ethereal version for a better socketing)

Stat points :

48 Strength (Just enough for me to wear all my gear : 48+40(rings)+7(shako/mara) = 95 ; 95+WT = 105 ; At 103 I can wear Enigma => 170+ Strength => I can wear Spirit. That's 100 stat points spared !! And I still don't have Annihilus !! :) )
    100 Vitality (Enough with CtA)
    Mana : All the rest :p

The main focus of my build is :

- Reach the 105 FCR breakpoint with minimal gear (spirit 35 + arachnid 20 + magefist 20 + oculus 30 = 105)
    - Keep a decent MF (oculus 80 + shako 75 + gheed 40 + WT 50 + Enigma 91 + some charms ~20 = ~350)
    - Aim for 75% res all (not completed yet, miss Annihilus and rings). I have currently between 40 and 60 res all, thanks to Mara, Oculus, Spirit and prismatic charms.
    - Keep a nice firepower for efficiency. I've chosen Meteorb with the following points :
    20 orb / 1 cold mastery (only ONE)
    20 Meteor / 20 Fireball / 20 Fire mastery
    1 in teleport, energy shield, static field, warmth, frozen armor.
    All the rest in Fire Bolts for synergies.

So as a summary, my sorc spams Fireballs at 105% FCR, 8000+ base fire damage each, with -85% Fire resistance from Infinity. I think I'll soon reach 9-10k Fire Balls when leveling and adding Annihilus/Skillers. Cold orb is very powerful too (-100% cold res limit reached with Cold Mastery + Infinity).

My merc reaches the 35% IAS breakpoint with his Infinity CA and 15% IAS Andy. Since the weapon has no LL, I've chosen Andy (10% LL) + CoH (8% LL). CoH grants him 65 res all, so I can socket the IAS jewel in Andy and not a RAL. The CoH resistances are enough to cover the -30% fire res penalty AND reach 75% Res All (and even 85 for poison). Later on, When I'll have my eth. andy 10% LL, I'll add a 40/15 IAS jewel or something like that.

Obviously, this is a high-end sorceress that works perfectly for MFing in any places/any games (I usually Baalrun/Pitrun solo in 8-players games). And still I'm sure she can be twinked even more.

I hope it gave you some clues. BTW, if some other sorc experts can see how I can improve my own sorc, it will be a pleasure for me to know about that.

- Frosty

EDIT : In my first post for Tal's set, you only get 20% FCR, not 30%. You need 4 Tal's items to have the third FCR bonus... So your FCR is only 50, and you'll need two FCR rings to reach the 65 FCR breakpoint. Or another equipment !

5. neurro

Thank you for the break down of your gear. I would like to go for IAS gear like yours listed, but do you think it would really help a chain-lightning caster? Also, I believe I would be hurting in the MF area if I did go for that gear, since I dont' have the ist's to socket them. I know getting rid of my tal gear in favor of coh/viper, maras, arachnid would be a good idea, but my MF will take a hit without those ist sockets.

6. fredsta54

fredsta54 Diabloii.Net Member

way to show off you ****

7. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed Diabloii.Net Member

105 fcr is good for teleing, but i like 120 for the last cl bp.

if i were rich id build it like this (keep in mind this is based on pure killing power with little to no regard to mf; imho its better to kill in 8p games than solo mf):

isted shako
    upped umed perf viper
    2x soj
    arachnids
    hoto
    sanctuary/stormshield
    travs
    magefist
    +2 sork/fcr

or if you really insist on solo mf, then you can cut down on the fcr (just enough for 63 fcr) and do it like this:

3 piece tals
    hoto
    frosties
    2x soj
    shako
    travs
    sanctuary/stormshield

since i started playing i've graduated from the 63 fcr bp to the 105 fcr bp, so i would choose the first setup above. then again, i like soloing 8p games too much.

btw, merc weapon should be infinity in both setups. light sorks have trouble killing without em