Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The truth behind Memento?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wazzup, Apr 6, 2004.

1. wazzup

wazzup IncGamers Member

The truth behind Memento?

Hi Guess everyone who watches Memento for the fist time is getting faceslapped by its ingenius anti chonological time base.

What I dont understand is who is getting killed at the end, or shall i say beginning.

There is a regio 1dvd where u can watch it reversed thus on a normal time base, i havent got this dvd, so thats why I ask it here. :cheesy:

Lets your oppinion on the truth behind Memento be heard!

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

what are you asking?

SPOILER ZONE

is he serious?

kinda

it's probably safe

the whole movie is him setting up Pantoliano, it isn't revealed until the end why he is, I'm unclear on what you're asking, perhaps because its been awhile since I've seen it

3. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

SPOILERS

Okay, prior to the film, our protagonist killed the real killer, or didn't kill him, we have no idea. It's irrelevant. 'Teddy' led him to the drug dealer (the woman's boyfriend), let him kill the drug dealer, and took that picture of our protagonist being REALLY happy. However, the protagonist didn't remember, and so resumed searching for the guy, after stealing the car and the clothes of the guy he killed.

Now he had no idea who he killed, or that he had killed before, because he burned the pictures so that he wouldn't feel like he did the deed and forgot it, and would search and get that feeling of accompishment again.

So he wrote down the license plate number of Teddy, and started from there. The woman, whose boyfriend he killed (whos car he drives, see the first time they met outside the bar and she was surprised at who was inside the car, calling him by her dead boyfriend's name), manipulates him to do what she wants. She knows he can't remember, so she exacts revenge on him for killing her boyfriend by sic'ing him on Teddy.

So he gets aimed right at Teddy, a cop, and kills him, and proceeds to tattoo "I got him" or whatever across his chest so he never forgets it again.

I hope that makes sense.

4. wazzup

wazzup IncGamers Member

Yeah it does! Tnx , guess i missed the part of Teddy leading him to that drugdealer also :D

5. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

Also, one key part is how the protaganist guy gets riled up because Teddy/John (the cop) is telling him that he's already killed the guy that murdered his wife (which he doesn't believe apparently). So he takes Teddy's picture, and writes 'do not trust him' or somesuch on it. So Teddy's kind of been screwed from that point on, and then that woman ends up finalizing Teddy's death, as PLF said.

6. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Hmm, I dun remember the guy tatto-ing "I've got him" in the show. At which pt of the show did that happen?

7. wazzup

wazzup IncGamers Member

What was Teddys motivation for letting him kill the drug dealer anyways?

8. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Teddy wanted the money from Jimmy, the drug dealer. Notice how he tries to get Lenny's car on a couple of different occasions (where the money is in the trunk)?

9. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

What i don't understand is why did he write down "don't believe his lies"? if he already killed the guy, who cares if he forgets he did it? And why did Trinity want him to kill someone?

10. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

If you woke up every morning having had nightmares of your wife being murdered, without knowing if the guy who did it was still out there, then what would you do?

He needed that satisfaction, and he realized that killing someone and forgetting it wouldn't do it, so he needed to convince himself he got it right.

And when he killed the Drug Dealer, Teddy said it wouldn't matter because he'd just forget it anyway, so who cares if it was the guy or not? Hence our protagonist gets irked and takes it out on Teddy.