The truth about Tal's Set...

PlayWithHonor

Diabloii.Net Member
I prefer to use cold facets -the fire will be strong enough as it is. My sorc has all cold skillers plus cold facets in the orb/helm/armor/ +2 in my Moser's.
That's interesting. I do pretty much the opposite. I don't think this is a case of right vs wrong but more of a prefernce as to which skill tree you prefer to use as your primary.

Personally, I run with 5/5 fire facets in my orb/helm/armor. I use a Ber'd Stormshield (hardcore). I prefer to use fireball and will do so everytime except when I meet a fire immune (which seems rare given I run conviction from my merc).

This brings me to why I prefer Fireball over Orb as my primary skill. If you are using an Infinity carrying merc, a fair amount of the fire immunes out there will have their immunities broken such that your Fireball will still be effective. I'm rolling with -30% resistance from Tals/facets so once that immunity is broken they get shredded. Lister's pack is the noticable exception as they remain fire immune but a nice Glacial spike followed by a couple Orbs.. (rinse and repeat) while your merc ownz them all and its pretty safe I've found.

Many of the cold immunes though seem to have really high immunites such that your merc's conviction won't break them. And for me, most of the real annoying monsters tend to be cold immune such as Oblivian Knights and blood star throwing Harpies. So I jack up the power of Fireball and skate through most areas of the game.

Just offering another perspective.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm the same way. I know this is a thread about Tal's set, but I even went so far as to stick a 5/5 fire facet in my Meteorb's Fathom (don't worry, it was a crappy one... eth 15%).

The way I see it, Meteorb is a fire build with cold and Static as backup. If you the need to boost up your cold damage, make a cold build with fire as a backup, i.e. Blizzball. But again, that's just my opinion.

MaStAViC

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, very old thread and I still find it to be incredibly useful. I spent about an hour reading the initial post and replies. Thinking about getting Tal Rasha's full set for my Sorceress now =P

Thanks!

redmagego

Diabloii.Net Member
Full Tals is the best!

I have loved Tal's from the moment i saw it as a newbie. Despite what people say it is the best option for any sorc. Duel element and single element. I too have been called a 'nub' for wearing my set, but i dont care. I know the truth!
Half the people that insult the set, don't even know anything about the set.
The most common one is this example. The set gives you +6 to all skills,plus 2 to all masteries,plus the 15/15/15 on the orb, which is all over looked. They say 'it only gives you +5 to all skills'.
Tals does lack a tiny bit in the damage department, but that is easily fixed with 3 5/5 facets.
FULL TALS WITH 3 5/5 FACETS OF YOUR CHOSEN ELEMENT OWNS ANY 'ELITE GEAR' OUT THERE. Period.
I have 3 sorcs. All single element. Cold,fire and lightning. And they all have a Full tal set with 3 perf facets of their element. Plus all three have 941 perf armor!
I have experimented time and time again with different setups.
Shako,coh,hoto,spider,maras.
Shako,coh,eschuta,spider,maras.
Nightwing,coh,hoto,snowclash,maras and so on.
And they all fall short of the supreme balance of Tals.
Life,resistances,damage,mf and overall survivablity are Tal's traits.

ps. i also have a mf Tal set. Topaz-helm,Topaz-armor,Isted Orb..

So wear your set with pride and shine!:thumbsup:

kykle

Diabloii.Net Member
full tals is viable, but i must say i like the +30 fire skills i get from my sorc's gear

tals falls short in damage output by a long shot

Yaotzin

Diabloii.Net Member
FULL TALS WITH 3 5/5 FACETS OF YOUR CHOSEN ELEMENT OWNS ANY 'ELITE GEAR' OUT THERE. Period.
This is complete nonsense. Tal's set is *never* the best for single tree sorcs, and is only sometimes best for dual tree sorcs.

That's not to rag on the set, it's good and for it's price it's very good, but it's not the best possible.

brokensvt

Diabloii.Net Member
Read the thread. It's the best setup for any dual-tree sorc, bar none. As far as single tree sorcs, it's all in the thread.

shallowprofile

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The truth about Tal's Set...

hey guys i'm wondering what tal's armor is worth?
i really need one to start really mf'ing...
all i have of worth is... a few dol runes, shaels, and hels, a perfect stealskull, maybe 10-20 pgems, a gull, and a few other uniques... know this probably a bad place for this, but i thought i'd ask since this thread is huge!

flamingchen

Diabloii.Net Member

Well the ammy is about pul-um, and the armor is generally mal-HR, though I snatched one for an um before (only 899 def though).

The other pieces are quite cheap.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator

Well the ammy is about pul-um, and the armor is generally mal-HR, though I snatched one for an um before (only 899 def though).

The other pieces are quite cheap.
Folks, please, price checks belong into the "Trade Values" forum :) Keep that in mind for next time! The price of Tal's armor always depends on how far the current ladder has progressed, so best check in the "Trade Values" forum.

Gondolin

Diabloii.Net Member

A while back I saw this thread and geared my meteorb sorc with Tals set (I almost have 2, missing a second ammy) but for some reason I didn't think there was much improvement. Perhaps I was fooled by the drop of 2 to all skills and my meteor listed damage almost dropped 1000, pretty scary I'd say.

I run pindleskin with this sorc, and I wanted to test this out once again.
Before:

Shako
Occy
Skullders Ire
Goldwrap
Tals Ammy

466 MF

With Tals complete set on I have 366 MF, and really that isn't much of a difference, heck I could use less sometimes (like when i found a gold sacred armor from pindy, my hoping-to-be IK barb weeped).

The surprise: I kill pindle and friends about 1.5 times as fast. I can pop up to players2 and run him at the same speed as I previously could! I have maxed resists, better cast rate. I can pretty much forget meteor, the faster fireballs with the -fire resists cook pindy before i can even switch to a right click. Plus I now have other areas opened up for MF and the aura is just cool.

End result: I've been thourougly converted, by the numbers presented here and by a practical test. I think I'm switching my sorc to full time full Tals set.

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator

Tal's set is for almost all dual-tree sorcs, but you might want to add in some extra skillers. Tal's set is THE setup for a Tri-Elementalist build. Single tree sorcs cannot really be happy in any way with Tal's set...

The numbers are correct and the facets and the built in -xx% enemy resistance stuff + resistances + MF and all the other nice stats like +mana +life simply make it an awesome combination. I have run with Elite gear setups which offer far more +skills but lack in other departments like mana, life, resistances, etc.

So i think its a matter of your playstyle, whether you will like it in the end or not. Single tree sorceresses taken out of count here.

Leetus

Diabloii.Net Member

for a pure pvm fire sorc with infinity merc whats better ?

1.full tal
2. phoenix shield/wep tal arm amu belt shako
3. phoenix shield/wep tal arm amu belt helm
4.ormus 15 fire +3 fireball tal amu belt

it already gets too complicated too many items. spirit monarch vs phoenix monarch.

Demongod

Diabloii.Net Member

To not use infinity for one...infinity only breaks light immunes I believe.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

FYI, Demongod, you just responded to a post that's ~5 months old... I'm guessing he made up his mind by now. :wink:

And Infinity can break a few FireImmunes, but I think a significant majority will remain immune without an LR curse to help.