The Top MF Gear

Razputin

Diabloii.Net Member
The Top MF Gear

The following is a short guide, or rather summary of the highest +% mf items for each body part. In many cases it is not practical to have the max mf possible, however many MF characters could probably get much more than they already do. So here goes...

Head

1) Helm/Mask/Crown socketed with 3 Perfect Topaz
72%
Easy to get hold of, loads of Mf. The masks look a bit special but have no real S requirements so are good.

2) Tarnhelm
25-50%
Rubbish compared to the above, harder to get hold of as well. Perfect and high 40 ones are fairly expensive. They do give you a skill bonus though, which most characters love. Oh and you get lots of gold which may help a bit.

3) Tancred's Skull
0%
This has no Mf on it's own but combined with Tancred's weird gives an amazing 78%! Also gives you some resists which is nice of it.

Weapon

1) Gull
100%
Many people struggle to get them, others need to use a proper weapon. Which ever way you look at it however, Gull is the king of Mf. Reduces your mana which is just silly.

2) Tancred's Crowbill
0%
Tancred was a bit of a con artist as this is clearly not a crowbill. It does let you utilise the 78% amulet though. In many cases this is a far better choice than using the helm and is a pretty effective way of getting loads of Mf.

3) Angelic Sickle
0%
Nothing in itself, but when combined with 2 other angelics the rings give +50% each, which is rather dandy. Dreadful weapon. If you wanted you could have this, the armour and two rings to get +100%, a poor mans gull (sort of). You could factor in the amulet instead but there are far better Mf amulets around.

Armour

1) Tancred's Spine
0%
If you are going for the best Mf around this + the amulet are the way to go. There simply are no better options in terms of pure Mf. Rather heavy though, which will put a lot of people off.

2) Rare armour socketed with a perfect topaz
24%
You would have to be nutty to do this. It is your second best option though and also has the bonus of potentially no strength requirements. The only direct Mf possible from any armour.

3) Vidala's Ambush
0%
With the amulet from this obscure set you get 50% Mf, not bad. You also get some okish mods along with it. Plus it is easy to use. A very similar choice would be Arcanna's Flesh + Arcanna's amulet, also giving you 50% and some nice mods. Actually the Arcanna's mods are pretty nifty for a caster, however armour does have a small strength requirement.

Shield

1) Gull
100%
If you are barb gull will be your choice to swap to when you pop bodies. Yum!

2) Milabrega's Orb
20%
That's it! A pathetic 20% is the best most classes can get here. Yuck. I expect most sane people will not take up this wonderful shield to Mf with.

3) Sigon's Guard
0%
Sigon's boots give a very cheerful 50%...if you have two other sigon items. This is a nasty, heavy thing but does also have great block and plus skills so isn't bad on balance.

Hands

1) Chance Guards
25-40%
These win by a mile. Decent ones are uncommon. I have never had a decent one, ever. This annoys me. These lovely gloves are not even surpassed on LoD.

2) Magic/Rare gloves with fortune mod
5-25%
These are the next best things and many decent rare gloves have Mf on for added bliss. Not hard to get at all, shoppable even.

3) Artic Mitts
0%
With the belt this grants 40% Mf. Decent but largely inferior to the unique options around.

Belt

1) Goldwrap
30%
Top draw belt. Not too tricky to get, plus there is a fixed Mf value so you don't get different qualities as in chance guards. By far your best option.

2) Artic Binding
40%
With another item that is. If you are lacking in obscure set amulets, socketed armours or other such drama this and artic fur's work well. The gloves work too. Goldwrap is better however.

3) Sigon's Belt
0%
Why not use this slot to give you sigon boots a 50% Mf value! Well there are several reasons why not but still...

Boots

1) Magic/Rare boots with fortune mod
5-25%
Rather naf really, but the best option assuming you go for the max. Simple to get hold of. Boring.

2) Tancred's Hobnails
0%
When i started writing this guide it was my aim to get all of Tancred's gear in. Tancred was a great guy and completely deserves all this credit. You can combine this with the amulet, in many cases this is the most sensible choice for people aiming to use the amulet. They make you fast as well.

3) Sigon's Boots
50%
If you wear these heavy boots and two more horrible pieces of Sigonian junk you can claim 50% Mf. A more interesting but inferior alternative would be Vidala's Fetlock + amulet. Oh well.

Amulet

1) Tancred's Weird
78%
Look above for how to get it to work. The armour is the best choice from a purely Mf point of view but the boots are perhaps better for most chars. For people without gulls the weapon works find as well. Amazing amulet, far better than anything else.

2) Fortuitous amulet of fortune
Up to 40%
After you play around with the numbers you get this ugly thing as second best. Some people spend ages looking for perfect ones. These people are probably mad i think :smiley: For very poor people an inferior form of this will probably be the amulet of choice however.

3) Arcanna's/Vidala's amulet
50%
Both of these are very decent if you cannot find tancred parts. Arcanna's is probably the better choice.

Rings

1) Fortuitous ring of fortune
Up to 40%
I may have just made this ring up. Probably not though. In theory this is your best choice, of course you have to find two of them first! Various poor man's versions of these are decent if you cannot (for some reason) get a nagy.

2) Nagelring
15-30%
The stable Mf ring of choice. Perfect ones are expensive but lower ones are as common as Fallen. Grab a couple!

3) Angelic Halo
50%
One of the best items in the game. If you can fit two other pieces of Angelics on then two rings gives you a lush 100%. Far from best choice however.

Summary Lists

Best Possible

Helm/Mask/Crown socketed with 3 Perfect Topaz
Gull
Tancred's Spine
Gull/ Milabrega's Orb
40% Chance Guards
Goldwrap
25% Magic/Rare boots with fortune mod
Tancred's Weird
2* 40% Fortuitous ring of fortune

= 525% for Barb/ 445% for everyone else!

The above setup would be a bit pants against any decent enemies, however my point is that most Mf chars have no where NEAR these amounts of Mf, and there is no reason why not. None of the above stuff is ‘that’ hard to get (beside the imaginary rings), even with 30/30 from rings, 35 chance guard and no silly shield that is still 400% Mf, a lot more than many Mf chars and leaving room for a resist shield. Running hell Meph with a telesorc is perfectly plausible with this lot.

My main point is essentially than Tancred’s amulet rules. Even if you can’t wear the armour, the boots + amulet are better than the best magic mf amulet + boots.

Cheers!

fledgeling

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Top MF Gear

goldwraps have different goldfind %
I would add goldskin for its 200% (?) goldfind - useful for barbs

the problem with such a sorc is that basically it has crappy resists (or bad block if you use a 3diamond shield), bad fhr and no fcr (unless you switch to shard or something)

I used to have a similar sorc (323% mf I think, using a +2 amulet with res and a 30/20 shield) and she was still quite fragile (basically I felt the lack of FHR)

My best luck finds were by a goldfind barb (basically tarn, goldwrap, chanceguards, goldskin, 40gf dual leech dual res ring, angelic amu+ring) using a martel. It always guarantees gold at least.

You should also note that glitching gives more rares, so you have increased chance of getting nice rare items

HegemonKhan

Diabloii.Net Member

great post. shoulda remembered to make a mf gear and max mf post, myself:p
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
can u also use socket soj recipe to give tanc armor a p topaz socket for a final addiction to max mf gear?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have trouble finding/getting the tanc armor. any of u know a good run monster or area for it?
just to add to your post:

max or near max mf gear is bad gear for everything else.

only a "skill kill" character (like bliz/orb/etc sorc, poison nova necro, holy frost paladin, etc.) and max or nearly max life/vit build can manage wihtout suffering from all the missing stuff that mf gear doesnt give u, but even than your still fragile with such a character and must avoid getting hit.

ww barbs can work well too but with less mf since u need to replace gull with a mana leech killing weapon but u can have better resist because of his nat res skill.
good mf character-builds:

1. bliz-vit sorc (tied with orb for best all round and last difficulty/areas like hell cs, hell meph, etc)
2. orb-vit sorc (tied with bliz for best all round and last difficulty/areas like hell cs, hell meph, etc)
3. fireball-vit sorc (good killing power in non fire resistant or non fire immune areas)
4. vit-hammer din (can use salv aura for resists if u can kill without concentration aura on)(good in places without monsters doing ranged elem. damage from weapons or spells)
5. vit-holy freeze din (best mf'er for low difficulties/areas where your holy freeze pulse cold damage kills everything in 1-2 hits + vigor for speed)
6. vit-poison nova necro (good for low difficulties/areas where u got room to manuever/run long as not poison resistant/immune, doh and not very dangerous
unless u also are using minions with it as your protection shield.)
7. vit-fury zon (good for cows and "cow like areas" like hell cs or canyon if no lit resistant/immune monsters
8. ww barb (with lots of life/vit/bo or lots of str/damage/defense) with good life and mana leach huge damage long (preferibly range 4 or 5 though range 3 mace can work too like bs or rare martel) weapon
9. probably more but too lazy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
fledgling or who ever, maybe make a gold find guide on possible gold find gear and best gear for gold finding with totals.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
also i put this on the diablo wiki, but i'm sure some of u who dont know wanna know this as well:

*BEST source of/for gulls is norm act 1 cold plains cave lvl 1 cold crow special monster.*

the first time i tried to see if this is true, i got a gull on my 7th try. and this (norm coldcrow cold plains cave lvl 1) continues to drop gulls quite frequently, not requiring many runs to get one.

Last edited:

Mirrislegend

Diabloii.Net Member

How much does level factor into gull finding off of norm cold crow? What kind of level is optimal?

HegemonKhan

Diabloii.Net Member

your character level doesn't make a difference, i dont think (your character level only effects the mods a dropped item can get). coldcrow (norm) has a very tiny selection of TC's and items which is why she's the best source of gulls.

gulls are TC 6 i think. and coldcrow can only drop TC 6 and lower (TC3). which is why she drops gulls the best.

i think corpsefire (den special monster)(norm) can't drop gulls, he only drops TC 3 and gulls are TC 6. other special monsters i think can drop TC 9 or higher so this drastically DEcreases chance of gull dropping from them.

whether i got this explanation right or not on why coldcrow is the best, the fact remains:

norm act 1 cold plains cave lvl 1 coldcrow monster is the best reliable source of gulls with very few runs required before u get a gull compared to any other monster.

if u wanna see for your self than try doing coldcrow runs with the best mf gear u can put on character and u'll be getting gulls drop like crazy and no longer ever worry about having to get a gull some how again as u know where and who to get gulls from.
*must have a good mf amount though (at least 100 to 200 max needed, over 200 even better but not req/needed, which is NOT very hard to achieve) when doing coldcrow because the unique gull needs a decent mf level from u when doing these coldcrow runs*

Last edited:

Razputin

Diabloii.Net Member

*BEST source of/for gulls is norm act 1 cold plains cave lvl 1 cold crow special monster.*
Cheers for that! Will have to give it a try.

can u also use socket soj recipe to give tanc armor a p topaz socket for a final addiction to max mf gear?
Nope. The LoD act 5 quest reward is the only way to put sockets in uniques (which is why on non ladder you may see the odd one due to cheating). The only way to get any sockets in magic armour on classic is the SoJ recipe.

i have trouble finding/getting the tanc armor. any of u know a good run monster or area for it?
I don't sorry. I got mine from Nightmare Meph i think. In fact i got all my Tancred's from Nightmare Meph except the amulet which hell andy dropped.

goldwraps have different goldfind %
I would add goldskin for its 200% (?) goldfind - useful for barbs
Yeah i know the goldfind changes, but for this guide that doesn't matter as it's pure Mf. I know lots of people do care about it though, especially on Barbs
but i have found looking for magic/rares/exceptionals and selling them is a far more effective source of gold. Unless you have loads of + gold and run hell flayer.

I think hell meph is an easy victim for max mf. If you play yoru cards right you don't need ANY resists. I concede though that fhr is important, namely when teleporting there. That can be sorted by slipping on say blinkbats and bloodfist, or twitch, fhr belt and bloodfist until you get their however. Once at Meph just don't get close and he won't blizzard/nova you. There is a specific distance you can stay from him where all he will do is fire lightning at you. This is fairly hard to master as if you come a bit closer he starts sending those frozen ball things which hurt a fair bit. Keep this distance from him, circling and attacking. Don't go to far back though as it can attract vampires, or to far to the sides or voidbringer/dragonhand will come. This is the method i use with my orc sorc, who has loads of Mf and only just positive resists.

I can also run hell Andy with her, but its more risky mainly due to landing in boss tainted packs which can really hurt with poor resists. One in her lair though it's easy as everything dies to orb. She will only last about 1/3 the time as meph, so with some potions her poison can be ignored once you have cleaned up her minions.

Cheers!

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator

In Classic, you can only make(by burning up 3 Perfect Skulls and a SoJ) 1 socket in a rare armor.
No other armors can legally have sockets. There are no natural grey(of the jewelers) armors in classic. No Blue(magic) armors with the jewelers mod, no uniques with sockets, no sets with sockets. When you see any of those(except a rare with 1 socket) you will know it was made with the act 5 hack.

Razputin

Diabloii.Net Member

I have run coldcrow about 20 times now, no gulls yet but have found artic armour, hands of broc and some hotspurs :cloud9: so it has been a success!

Do you know if Bishibosh, the super unique shaman on cold plains can drop gulls or not? Its easy to find him than coldcrow, although the latter is not too tricky.

Cheers!

Lorg

Diabloii.Net Member

I know lots of people do care about it though, especially on Barbs
but i have found looking for magic/rares/exceptionals and selling them is a far more effective source of gold. Unless you have loads of + gold and run hell flayer.
Gf barbs go for hell travi runs and they also sell the magic rare and exceptionals and on top of that they get the extra gold from gf(piles are 10k to 30k)... They collect much faster gold than mf based char. Anyway, both work...

Typically use gs,wrap chansies amu, rings (need life leech too) and boots with gf and a martel dedicated to gfing -> mana and life leech on it if possible.......

HegemonKhan

Diabloii.Net Member

I have run coldcrow about 20 times now, no gulls yet but have found artic armour, hands of broc and some hotspurs :cloud9: so it has been a success!

Do you know if Bishibosh, the super unique shaman on cold plains can drop gulls or not? Its easy to find him than coldcrow, although the latter is not too tricky.

Cheers!
i guess u are just being very unlucky and i was lucky to get it on my 7th try my first time trying to see if coldcrow drops gulls best. i than got 2 more gulls and coulda keep getting more but i only need 2 gulls (for a barb to use duel gulls). if u arent getting many unique drops than u need to use more mf. if u are getting unique drops than its just your (bad) luck. coldcrow WILL drop gulls and is the only direct guaranteed source of gulls that i know of and imo she is the best for gulls (though i guess i'm lucky as i got 3 gulls nearly right after each other and only did at most 20 runs for those 3 gulls where u havent found a gull in the number of runs u said u did).

not sure about him (bishibop). i wanna say he can NOT drop gulls (or at least extremely rarely does) but as i don't know, i can't really say. though now that im thinking of it, bishibop is jsut in cold plains so his monster level is probably lower and probably not be able to drop gulls (or at least extremely rarely if he could). where, coldcrow is in cold plains cave lvl 1, which all miscellanous "cave" areas usually have monsters in them that u find in the next area on the surface world. so coldcrow has a higher monster level to drop gulls but not too high to drop the next TC dilluting your chance of getting gulls, which is why imo (and for me directly) coldcrow is the best source of/for gulls.
sorry warlock, i didnt mean the act 5 hack sockets. i was just asking if the classic soj cube recipe can be used with sets or not. i can never remember what item quality(ies) the recipe works on let alone all the different recipes... i really wish my memory was better..have to constantly look up stuff and its a pain.

Razputin

Diabloii.Net Member

Just found one :cloud9:

It's been a good day for me, having gained a gull, hotspur and two gs, one of which i traded for another gull. Yummy!

IsThisNamePermanent

Diabloii.Net Member

I would use Tancred amulet and boots, two 30% nagel rings, Goldwrap belt, 40%chance guards, 50% tarn, with a gull and a 30/20 prism shield. armor is up for what ever you want to use, most of the time I wear either twich for better blocking or a blinkbat.