Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The toilet seat.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bustme, May 16, 2005.

1. bustme

bustme IncGamers Member

The toilet seat.

I just can't understand why we men have to give in to the ladies and lower the toilet seat after every time we give a go. Seems to me we have a right to it just the same to them. Am I missing something and being ignorant?

Please enlighten me with your thoughts.

2. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Same reason you open the door for a lady, give them your coat if it's cold and pretty much let them do everything first.

Call it chivalry, call it manners, call it outdated, it's not really that hard to do is it?

3. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Well I guess you could yell at them for not uprighting the seat after they go...

4. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Anyone that "falls in" is an idiot and deserves to be flushed down!

5. corax

corax IncGamers Member

i call it the 'booby paradox'.

its out there.....

6. bustme

bustme IncGamers Member

But why should I be yelled at (hypothetically) or something if I ever don't? There's a good chance I could be the same person to just lift it again.

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

It's the polite thing to do. I've raised two boys and two girls. The boys tend to mess up the toilet rim for obvious reasons. Get some hairs and other stuff stuck into the mess, and it's revolting.

So put the seat down when you're done, (or clean off the toilet rim every time you mess it up). It hides a world of sin. And it's a very, very small concession to make, unless you want to turn such a tiny thing into a battle.

Plus, ok...my wife went into the bathroom in the middle of the night once, in a foggy stupor, when either one of my sons or I had left the seat up, and sat down right on the cold, wet rim. That had to suck, and she let me know about it.

8. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

The same reason why you have to regularly express thanks for everything your wife does while never getting a thankyou for going to work -- she has a monopoly (in theory) on something you want very badly.

It starts with S and ryhmes with Rex!

Garbad

9. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

Yeah, but why is there a lid?

10. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I will raise it before peeing standing up but I will not lower it again.

11. Elly

Elly Administrator

The toilet seat actually has a function. When you flush, the swirl action causes a plume of air carrying allsorts of lovelies up from whatever you've just left in there. The seat down before flushing stops this.

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I don't lower it. I find that unequal. Are women's arms broken? No. They're perfectly capable of making the toilet into the state they prefer, just as I am. If they want to complain that it's a pain in the ass to lower it, I can complain that it's a pain in the ass to raise it. Which is why the wife and I have seperate bathrooms. Solely for that purpose.

And who the hell goes to the bathroom in the dark? Turn the damn light on if you're so concerned. What, you're too lazy to put the seat down and now you're too lazy to flip a damn light switch? I can't aim in the dark so I turn the light on just so I don't end up peeing in the sink or on a cat. It's really not that hard.[/rant]

13. corax

corax IncGamers Member

I've done that once. I was home alone so I left the door to the toilet open while doing my business. so my kitten decided it was a good idea to stand up on the rim and stick his head in the way.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I almost did. One cat likes to actually get in the toilet bowl and the rest just stick their heads in.

15. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

If I wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee, turning on the light involves quite a lot of work. I would have to trip over everything on the way to the light switch, wait until my eyes stop hurting so I can see, trip ove everything to get to the bathroom, try not to fall over while keeping my aim steady, try not to fall over as I flush, get back to the light switch, and then trip over everything on the way back to bed since my eyes are now adjusted to light. It's a hell of a lot easier to just sit down when you're not fully awake.

16. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

How enourmous is your bathroom? Just turn the light on in there! Most rooms have the lightswitch directly beside the door for precisely that reason so you still don't have a seat to sit on, so to speak. It's not a reason for us to cater to lowering the seat.

17. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Damn right, I've had a complusion about putting the lid down since seeing some program that said when you flush the toilet water droplets (and aforementioned lovelies) can travel up to 3 metres straight up from the toilet, and 5 metres around the toilet. I was convinced for several years that I wouldn't make it out of the bathroom alive if I didn't...

18. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I always leave the seat and lid down, but not because of a concession to the required-to-sit-to-pee humans. I do it because it looks more presentable, especially in the guest bathroom. Toilet bowls just aren't very attractive... especially if it's been a while since it's last scrubbing.

Also, if you want to break your dog or cat from drinking out of the toilet, the lid comes in handy again.

Lastly, dittos what Elly said about the plume of lovelies spurting up during the flush. Considering most people don't cover their toothbrushes but leave them on the sink, which is within reach of said plume... do you really want to brush your teeth with your own... nevermind.

Edit: Regarding seat up or down being an issue of equality between the sexes: it's not entirely equal. Reason being, a guy is capable of easily peeing whether the seat is up, or down. A woman, however, doesn't have the convenience. In either case, I still feel they are fully capable of operating the toilet seat themselves.

19. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Maybe some of the female posters here can answer this, but is it presentablility of not having the rim on display, or just sheer lazyness that means you like having the seat down?

I know I annoy my girlfriend no end by put both seat and lid down. Its a brilliant habit that all men should adopt, do what you've been asked to do, but in a way that makes the situation even more annoying...

20. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

to keep you from dropping your toothbrush in, you sloppy drunk