Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

THE THROWING BARB THREAD- any tips would be nice....

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by chadinoogachoochoo, Feb 7, 2004.

1. chadinoogachoochoo

chadinoogachoochoo IncGamers Member

THE THROWING BARB THREAD- any tips would be nice....

ther aren't many threads for throwers, and since i am starting a new one, any help would be sweet, what kind of stat point distribution should i have? skills? etc. right now i am going 3 dex, 1 str 1 vit per lvl, that good? any comments and help would be cool.

2. NickRivers

NickRivers IncGamers Member

I have a thrower barb. don't have much time for advice, but I use a might merc, elite unique throwing weapons. The little Axes are the best because even though they don't replenish, there are enough of them to keep going for a while in between repairs. Don't have the winged knives, but those seem like they would be good as well. The real advantage to the axes though is the high elemental damage--p immunes fall pretty fast.
    On weapon switch I use a couple of the hyperion javs, which are fast and replenish. I also sometimes use my ghost glaive. The problem with these are that even though they replenish, you are throwing so fast that they run out very quickly. It's not like a LF javazon where the majority of the damage you do is due to the lighting bolts. My damage is around 5000 Average for most of the weapons (the glaive is more, but slower). which is enough to solo in Hell. basically max double swing, and throwing mastery, put minimal points in the actual double throw, and for a fun time, use frenzy (and a different weapon mastery) to really throw fast. when combined with a fanat paly, you really throw FAST, it is kind of funny.
    That's all I have time for, but hope it helped.

3. chadinoogachoochoo

chadinoogachoochoo IncGamers Member

thanks for the info, any other people? what should my stats go into?

4. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

have you tried searching? I've posted a number of threads about this most of them more than 1 page.

5. boochie61

boochie61 IncGamers Member

I don't like might mercs with my throw barbs. I've posted about this endlessly, but I'll do it one more time. With throw barbs, you don't need more damage, you need space. Holy freeze is far more valuable than more damage. You throw so fast as a throw barb, that damage is more than compensated by a lower damage. You can't max life with a throw barb, especially with minimal double throw as most people do (I don't because I like to hit the target every time) because you need maximum dex to make up for it. If you have over 3K life with bo with a throw barb, you've wrecked the build. The whole point of the build is to NOT get hit. It's a gamble, but it works. Your damage with dual gimmers will be over 4k and as high as 6k without a might merc. Trust me, this is plenty of damage as long as you get your ias over 100. There really isn't a reason to get a max might aura merc, other than bragging rights. You kill slower with holy freeze, but you don't get hit anywhere near as much. At ** my throw barb can solo anywhere in hell now because I built the crud out of my merc and he can do some serious tanking keeping the attention off of me, allowing me to protect him. It's win win.
    Now for a less serious question, have any of you throwers out there notice that Diablo always picks you out when casting. It doesn't matter where I go, he is focused on me. I've never had any of my other characters have that happen, but the members of my clan thinks its hysterical that I have to leave leap attack on when killing D because I'm having to leap out of the way all the time.

6. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I heard a theory that bosses target the player with the highest damage. If you have close to 6k as you suggested, then that would be why. I do find that bosses will almost always target my IK barb over any other party member, which would tend to support the theory, since he does about 6k damage, whereas my zealot Paladin who does less than 2k damage is often ignored completely.

7. juhnny

juhnny IncGamers Member

I noticed that today doing some d-runs - he always spit fire at me. I wasl wtf pick on someone else-lol. I have to disagree with you on the might merc sort of. If you got the right gear then you should go with a might merc. Here is my mercs set up.

lvl 73 might merc
    helm -delirium(crowd control)
    armor - COH(life leech-reisist)
    wpn- eth DOOM crypt axe(holy freeze for crowd control)

This set up works great. Merc Has full resist and the mods on the delirium have the other monsters fighting themselves. I use an enigma on my barb so what I do is just tele right near the monsters and my mercs holy freeze and might aura kicks in instantly. I then either start throwing away or move back depending on the situation. My only problem right now is my resist suck. There 22/1/7/1. I am using arreats/goreriders/razortail/crafted gloves/dual ravens/rare +2 ammy. I am gonna have to start sacrificing some stuff to get better resist.

8. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

What do you guys think of Lacerater Winged Axe for a throw Barb, I found one today (201% ED) and it looks like a wicked weapon, just trying to get expert advice for throw barb weapon?

9. Amnesiac249

Amnesiac249 IncGamers Member

Which mercs add holy freeze and which add might? Also, about how much vit should I add before stopping? I may have already screwed this part up...

edit: also, how useful is frenzy for a thrower, and how many skills should I put in it? Would I be better off putting them into double throw for accuracy? Or in something else?

10. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

-I don't agree. How can extra damage not be important? you will need less axes to kill an enemy and when they are dead they wont hit you either. extra damage is very important actually. The barbarians damage sucks enough already.

The best thing is of course to have a might merc and equip it with the holy freeze runeword as someone stated above.

might = NM offensive
    holy freeze = NM defensive

frenzy is not important for a thrower IMO. if you want a mellee skill for the purpose of having a mellee skill, double throw will be much better than a low lvl freny anyways. for the speed, you'd be wasting too much time charging it to really benefit overal. Also are you not supposed to get into mellee range most of the time anyways.

11. boochie61

Juhnny, you have the exception to the rule. Might merc would be the way to go if he is wearing something that gives holy freeze when equipped. I have had might mercs with my throw barbs the last few patches and I always end up scrapping them for a holy freeze merc instead. It's not much fun to me to be running around all the time to get to an area that's safe to throw from with monsters running full speed. Like I said, the sexiness of a high level might mercs is appealing but I'd rather protect myself and my party with a holy freeze merc. That's just my personal feeling, but I can see how others would like a might merc instead.
    If only blizz would create a rune word armor, poleaxe, or helm that when equipped would give fanatacism, that would be awesome for any throw barb or bowazon.

12. Pilsner

Pilsner IncGamers Member

i strongly advise you to not make a throw barb. i made one with the following gear:

lacerator, warshrike (both near perf)
    2 x gimmers on switch for PI
    naj's plate
    arreat's
    highlord's
    verdungo's / razortail (for piercing)
    dracul's (nerd perf)
    ravenfrost+other ring
    gore riders
    annihilus

he SUCKS (sucked, stripping him of gear now). he dies very easily in hell even with max resists, shout, BO, etc. thanks to not having a shield. his melee damage is absolutely pathetic, it takes ages to kill things and you sometimes just have to give up against possessed, etc. even with a quick frenzy to increase attack speed, your damage will be laughable.

don't do it, they're worthless in late hell.

always try a build with the cubemod before you go far with it btw.

13. boochie61

I have no idea what you're talking about. That's funny, my throw barb is an ** and rarely dies. He kills quickly, and the possessed take no more than 3 or 4 throws to kill. What did you do for skill point distribution. Not questioning you, just trying to figure out where you went wrong.
    One thing I would suggest instead, is looking where you went wrong. I don't see too much ias on your build. My throw barbs typically have between -100-140ias. I don't think you have much that way at all. With gimmers your should have made 4-5k easy. What was your damage. Did you put massive ammounts in strength or vitality (my guess). This build needs dex, lots of it, more than twice the other two, and especially if you didn't invest much in double throw. I think that crow's caw (especially upgraded to 1120 def) is the way to go socketed with IAS jewel of course. I used to be an arreats guy too but I think the IK helm, with its two sockets are a better choice now, especially if you're going to use the boots and gloves.
    As for damage, demon arch with holy freeze merc is over 6k if done right, and near 8 if you have a might merc. You didn't use an act 5 or 1 merc did you?
    I'm trying to guess where you went wrong because I have had throw barbs for 3 straight patches now and they all rock.

14. juhnny

juhnny IncGamers Member

Here is a more detailed breakdown of my build (NL)

lvl 76
    helm- ed/ias arreats(don't think there is a better helm)
    ammy-rare (+2barb/10rw/19str/20dex/59li/57ma(Mara's another option)
    rings-perf raven/rare dual leech/resist ring
    belt-razortail (for the peirce/dex)
    boots-goreriders
    gloves-ias/dual leech/kb
    armor-enigma(+2/teleport/str/MF)
    wpn1-dual gimmers
    wpn2-dual eth demon archs (have not found any lacerators yet)
    (6)mastery GC's(best charms for this build-IMO)
    Anni-15/19/6
    (3)7/5res sc's
    (3) high dmg psn sc's for extra elemental dmg

I like to leave 16 spaces open in my inventory to pick up anything good that might drop. Another tip for those who might not know. You can put TP's and ID scrolls in your belt. I usually have the first 2 rows with rejuvs the 3rd with manas(for mana burns) and the 4th with 2 ID's on top and 2TP's on the bottom. This saves space in your inventory and free's up 2 hotkeys.

BO-maxed
    TM-maxed
    DS-maxed
    Shout-1
    DT- 2
    ironskin -1
    Natural res-1
    find potion-1
    find item - 1
    grim-1 comes in handy
    These are higher with my GC's and gear

15 points left over -I have no idea where I'm gonna put the rest of the points.
    Maybe Natural resist and or shout to be more party friendly.

str-103(194) Base str-enough for what ever armor your gonna use
    dex-97(218) Adding to dex add's to AR and DMG .75 per point
    vit-68(1005 w/ BO) will probably add enough to get me to 1500-2k life -then dump the rest in DEX
    nrg-base

200 points left

resist - 64/33/39/39 - need to work on here!!!
    AR=6700 need to work on
    def-8100 w/ shout (not to concerned since I dont melee)

demon arch dmg - 5500-9100 w/ might merc
    gimmers dmg - 1500-6010 w/ might merc

might merc lvl 76
    helm - delirium (crowd control mods)
    armor - coh(resist)
    wpn - eth DOOM cryptic axe(holy freeze)
    does 1550-6000 dmg

If you plan on making a throw barb be prepared to be patient with the build. It's not until you get into the higher levels(42+) does the barb really get fun. If you can afford some of the higher end gear listed above there even more fun. I would recommend a might merc for the higher dmg - even if you can't afford a DOOM wpn for him - the Delirium Helm works great. If you can get both your all set and you will never have to worry about crowd control. What I do is just teleport right into the action and the aura's kick in. Most of the time the mods on delirium kick in as well. So now you got monsters slowed down and attacking each other. This allows you to just fire away and pick off the helpless. If for some reason it gets testy I can either throw a GRIM ward and if I really need to evacuate I can just teleport out of danger. It's also pretty funny when my merc transforms into a stygian doll. He looks funny and kicks a$$. I have issues with my resistance. I can address it by looking for some resist all sc's and or change my ammy to a mara's but the mods on my rare are hard to give up. Also adding to natural resist will help. It's not a major problem because I could always teleport out of the way of stuff using elemental dmg. Since my merc has full resist I can just have him kill it.

Again as others have mentioned before, If you are used to killing everything and anything in seconds a throw barb is not for you. I have 1.10 hammerdin that can do this and a throw barb does not. The good thing about this build is you can get the high end wpns pretty cheap since most people don't play throw barbs. So get your gear first before others get on the band wagon.

15. boochie61

I took care of the resists with venom grips and infernostrides. I wasn't meaning to say that no one should get a might merc, I just prefer the holy freeze variety myself.
    I haven't had any luck finding mastery charms this patch, I think I have one. I've found just about everything else including about 6 of the ultra useless defensive aura charms for pallys. The rest of my box is filled with vita resist charms and small psd (not much, only about 300 damage or so), and glimmering charms. These things are sweet. The last two I have are a gheed's and an anny (no one mentions this, but the gheed's may be as valuableto a throw barb as a mastery charm. Extra money and cheap repairs are a good things with a throw barb).
    My problem is with people who claim throw barbs aren't viable in 1.10. There's been many a baal room that I have had to clear so people can get their bodies back with my little throw barb.
    I have level 9 (13 with gear) natural resist. I would recommend that highly for someone that the gloam will target on. Actually after about 7 it gives a lot less bang for the buck, but I want to have as perfect resists as possible (75, 73, 75, 59).
    You're right on about the vitality thing. If you go over 3k life the throw barb is ruined statswise, because it was built like a tank (max life), and throw barbs are snipers (sitting on the edge of the targets picking off one at a time, unnoticed). If you allow yourself to get surrounded you're dead so the best thing is to not get surrounded and kill everything quickly.

16. Shadowshifter

Shadowshifter IncGamers Member

I am starting a ladder throwbarb and was just wondering one thing ... boochie, how did you get massive IAS with max resists? I know it's probably easy with natural resistances and the anya quests, but can you list your equipment?

17. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

A build is more than just some items (good sockets, good stats, good charms) sorry to say like that, but you can give a noob as many botd's and enigmas as he likes, he will still suck with it.

you need skill to use him. And you need some patience, maybe you played meteor sorces and hammerdins too much, barb simply dont have WOMD. Don't expect a barb to run trough the fields while everything dies as it gets on your screen.

Also, not everyone wants to use the easiest and most efficient build. unfortunately many do (looking at all those meteor sorces and hammerdins) My goal is to build a hardcore throw barb and solo him trough hell. I want a fun chalenge. (but first i need to obtain some wealth on the realm before i can do this)

18. AFBrat

AFBrat IncGamers Member

No one answered my question directly, but I take it a 201% Lacerator is a good end-game throw-barb weapon for 1 of my 2 slots, I was thinking of upgrading my 194% unique Francisca as my other weapon. I like the fact that both replenish quantity. Good move or bad? Looks like it would do very nice damage upgraded.

19. Shadowshifter

Shadowshifter IncGamers Member

I'm testing a throwbarb, and was wondering if approximately 150 Str/215 Dex/135 Vit would be good for the build or if dex needed to be pumped more..
    how do you get ~6K damage with a holy freeze merc? I'm planning to use war shrikes and gimmershreds with ~95 IAS and full resists, but I'm not sure eq setup can attain this, or if it is even possible ... any help is appreciated

20. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

The best gear set-up would be:

2 etheral warshrikes (deadly strike :teeth:) or 2 etheral lacerators (open wounds AND amp dmg!). I would say 2 etheral lacerators
    Highlord's wrath= 20% ias and deadly strike. Can not be beaten!
    Ravenfrost=Dex and att rating help and so does cannot be frozen
    Ring= Dual leech ring would help if PvM with +resists
    Gore riders= Deadly strike and more open wounds
    Tgods vigor or verdungo= Extra life or dr % are always nice
    Arreats= Best barb helm you can get
    Gloves= 20% ias gloves with +stats and resists
    Chains of honor= Why? A little dmg reduction, but you gain impressive resists which can free up charm slots

Lacerator has -10 speed and 30% ias so thats 40 ias%.

Highlords is another 20% ias
    20% ias gloves

thats 80% ias and one free socket in arreats which leaves you a 15% ias jewel to socket in it.

Thats 95% ias right there. Good resists and should do fine in PvM too.

You get LL from arreats, dual leech ring, and chains of honor. You get a little ML from dual leech ring :teeth:.

I am clueless about skills and stats do don't ask ;).