Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Throwazon - Complete and Reviewed

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Frenzied Bovine, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

The Throwazon - Complete and Reviewed

What's done?

The "throwazon" has hit 75, pulled on all her important end-game gear, and is working her way through Hell (Ladder). She is currently in Act 2.

What's not done?

- Skill point quests in Hell, though they are unnecessary.
    - Lam Esen/Golden Bird/Anya quests in Hell, which will help.
    - Lionheart not yet made. Using Tal Rasha's Armor as a temporary stopgap (!!!)
    - Mercenary not yet levelled up; might aura is weak and he dies frequently

The Throwazon

What is a throwazon? Well, it's my slant on a tankazon/daggerzon. I was pondering building one of these as a result of some of my bowazon experiences.

Let me begin, as they say, at the beginning.

It all started when my WF zon wasn't able to fit an Atma's Scarab into her strafeazon equipment setup. She needed to wear Highlords Wrath. So, to get around the problem of PI's, she employed the rather helpful Might merceanary (Offensive, A2 NM) and painstakingly levelled it up to equip it with a Reaper's Toll.

Sadly, Decrepify STILL didn't quite solve all her problems. Though it solved most, a few rare boss monsters remained stubbornly physical immune dispite the best efforts of the Greizman. Finally someone suggested Lacerator - I equipped it, and it's 33% chance to cast Amplify Damage was a godsend.

So, being the typical fool that I am, where do I go from there? Why, I get bored with my Windforce and start melee'ing things with the Lacerator for kicks! And it's surprisingly effective! I was even able to Lacerate Diablo in Hell difficulty!! But I found the lag on Amazon blocking terribly annoying, even with a Blackoak and as much accelerated block as I could cram onto my Windforce zon.

From there, the idea took root. Can I build a character that uses throwing weapons - including a Lacerator - while simultaneously getting around the annoying block lock problems?

And thus, the throwazon was born - a hybrid throwing weapon/daggerzon tank character. Obviously, the only combat "skills" in use are throw and normal attack.

Skill Point Allocation

I'm no authority on Tankazons, but I suspect that this build would basically be close to the standard "cookie cutter" if there is such a thing. It's not like you need any Bow or Javelin skills to play an Amazon, is it? :uhhuh:

Valkyrie: 20 points

The Valkyrie is your bread and butter. Surprisingly, she's not so much as an essential to keeping me alive as I thought she would be. Unlike most of my wacky builds, I *don't* hide behind the expendable summons - i'm right up there with her, kicking and chewing bubblegum! Up the mighty blondes!

Critical Strike: 2 points

I put two in here to give my Valkyrie a 25% chance of Critical Strike. I don't really need any points here, for reasons that will be explained later on.

Penetrate: 20 points

What's a little AR between friends?

Pierce: 5 points

I needed to exceed 50% pierce, for reasons that will be explained later on.

Dodge, Avoid: 9 points

Basically I pushed these skills until they dropped below +2%/slvl. As it happens, this leaves Dodge at 46%, Evade at 54%. I'm very happy with them.

Every other Passive and Magic skill has a single point in it. I have Slow Missiles hotkeyed.

I have about 10 skill points saved up. I've been saving since around level 65. I have nowhere to put them.

Stat Point Allocation

I hope i've done this right. Somehow I doubt it, but I haven't noticed any major problems yet.

Strength: Enough to equip gear. Around 110, IIRC. I have a lot of +str gear.
    Dexterity: As high as possible: around 250 right now. Future points will go here.
    Vitality: 110, IIRC. This could be too low, almost certainly too low for HC.
    Energy: Base.

She also has an 18 stat 10 resist Annihilus in her inventory.

Equipment Choices

My choice of equipment is what makes the Throwazon what she is. Here is where she truly steps into the light, so to speak. I will list my current equipment, followed by end-game equipment in parenthesis if they vary.

Helm: Guilliame's Face - essential to wearing Stormshield
    Armor: Tal Rasha's Guardianship ("Lionheart" runeworded elite armor)
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Belt: Thundergod's Vigor - essential to wearing Guilliame's Face
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Ring 1: 245/19 dex Ravenfrost
    Ring 2: 8% Carrion Wind

My resists are somewhat sucky at the moment. They're not negative, but I would have preferred for them to be maxed. Oh well.

All up, my Zon has around 200 strength after modifiers, and this will only get better once Lionheart is equipped.

Her attack rating is around 7000 and she has had no problems hitting anything in Hell. Yet.

Tal Rasha's isn't a bad standby, with all the nice resists and MF, but it's NOT my end-game armor. I wore Duriel's Shell for quite a long time, and eventually handed it down to my merc.

My mercenary is currently wearing Gaze, that Duriel's Shell handmedown and a triple Shael'ed 198 Hone Sundan. His end game equipment will be Kira's, Shaftstop and Reaper's Toll.

Weapon 1: Warshrike, coupled with Stormshield

Warshrikes come with 50% Deadly Strike and 50% Pierce. Combined with Guilliame's, Gore Riders and Highlords, one can easily attain 100% Deadly Strike. Combined with the Amazon's natural Pierce skill, 100% Piercing can also be easily attained.

As a happy side effect Guilliames and Gore Riders add a truckload of Crushing Blow and some nice Open Wounds.

Weapon 2: Lacerator, coupled with Tiamat's Rebuke (Spirit Ward)

The Lacerator has a number of extremely useful modifiers, but by far the best are Prevent Monster Heal and the 33% chance to cast Amplify Damage. This weapon is most frequently used against stubborn PI bosses, who are unaffected by the Terror mod.

I was going to equip a Spirit Ward here, but never got around to it. The shield is one big "yeah whatever" situation. Tiamat's has some resists, so I figured, what the heck.

So, what does all this nice gear do for me?

I'm glad you asked. Here's what I get out of all that.

+1 to all skills at all times, thanks to Highlord's Wrath.

When Warshrike is equipped:
    - 100+% piercing
    - 100+% deadly strike
    - 15% open wounds
    - 50% crushing blow
    - dagger class weapon that can be taken into melee with no block penalty
    - 35% damage reduction

When Lacerator is equipped:

- 55% piercing
    - ~50% deadly strike (backed by 25% critical strike)
    - ~50% chance of open wounds
    - 50% crushing blow
    - prevent monster heal
    - 33% chance to cast level 3 Amplify Damage on striking
    - 50% chance to cast Terror on striking (monster flee)
    - massively penalized blocking
    - a whole bunch of pretty stuff cast when struck

You really NEED to get hold of Warshrikes to feel the power of this girl. The killing speed is actually slower with Warshrikes than with Lacerator, but if you get caught in melee (which happens a LOT in Hell difficulty, thanks to fast monster packs) you can really tear them to shreds. If you get caught with Lacerator out, they WILL block-lag you and you can die quite easily. So don't get caught.

If you plan things right, you can throw a few Lacerators to start the battle off and trigger Amp, then switch over to Warshrikes. Amplified Warshrikes totally destroy huge swathes of monsters, and it's not common to see them pass through an entire pack like a scythe, cutting down every monster as they pierce. If you don't lacerate, things are a bit slower but no less difficult. For the record, I use Warshrikes about 98% of the time, and Lacerator about 2% of the time (even LESS than I had planned). I almost forget I have Lacerator except for thos really pesky boss packs. Even so, I don't find the killing speed to be slow at all.

The character screen reports that, at my current level, my Warshrikes are doing 400-700 damage when thrown. With my Mercenary's aura, this rises a little. But this damage is deceptive, as I usually kill Fallen in Hell with a single thrown knife. Crushing Blow, Deadly Strike and Open Wounds feature heavily in every battle.

According to the german weapon speed calculator, my IAS equipment (Highlords, LOH) allow me to melee with my Warshrikes as fast as the weapon class can possibly attack on an Amazon - 8 FPA. It looks almost like she's zealing. Constantly.

Her survivability is extraordinary. I love it. She dodges a lot, and thanks to her high dex, blocks 75% of the rest with ease.

The only major stumbling block i've encountered thus far is this: you have to be aware of the range limitations on throwing knives/axes. They don't fly as far as arrows, or even as far as crossbow bolts. In fact, they barely make it to the edges of the screen (and not even that if you throw towards the diagonals). I had one situation where I was facing a holy freeze zombie pack on Catacombs 4 in Andariel's antechamber. I stood back far enough so that the HF wouldn't affect me.. without noticing that I had actually put the boss out of range! I threw quite a few knives before it occured to me that he hadn't died, because the knives weren't quite reaching him!

So be aware, and position yourself carefully. Range is something you should always be thinking about when playing this girl.

Of course, if you throw a few too many knives.. who cares? Since both weapons have the replenishing mod, both cost 1gp to repair! 2gp repairs at Charsi totally rule.

Things can only get better from here as my might merc rises in level, boosts my damage, starts Decrepify'ing things and survives fights against more than one monster :innocent:

Well, I think that's everything. Comments, suggestions, questions etc are always welcome.

:D :p

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Wow...sure looks like fun :thumbsup:

I might suggest ditching T-Gods for String or Verdungo, even if it means a bit more into strength

3. Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001 Banned

What about using mav set......

4. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

nice idea :d

"Sadly, Decrepify STILL didn't quite solve all her problems. Though it solved most, a few rare boss monsters remained stubbornly physical immune dispite the best efforts of the Greizman."

makes me wonder - what lvl is this merc? as my wf zon's merc also has a reapers and there has been nothing left PI once he has thwacked them a few time, the only problem i have is when the knockback takes him away from my merc, and the boss then regains PI until my merc catches up to him and reapers him again.

5. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

All the "normal" PI monsters have precisely 100% physical resistance. So they can all have their immunity broken by Decrepify. This is in stark contrast to fire, cold and lightning immunes, many of whom have much higher than 100% resists, and cannot have their immunity broken by Lower Resistance.

I think the only thing which would be still PI after a Decrepify would be a boss monster of a type naturally PI (or very high, but less than 100%, physical resistance) with Stoneskin on top of that..

6. Frenzied Bovine

Hi there.

I am contemplating reposting this as a fully featured guide. Thanks for all the feedback.

The only things immune to the Decrepify of Reaper's Toll are, as predicted, the really nasty stone skinned boss monsters who naturally have a bit over 50% physical resist.

I have yet to meet anything that can't have it's PI removed by Amplify Damage. I suspect if I ever did meet Stone Skinned Frenzytaurs, i'd be dead meat. But then who wouldn't be dead meat?

I'd like to emphasise, YET AGAIN, the insane survivability of this character. It was never more emphasised than when I was going to do the Ancients solo. I did it in a pubby game called "Hell Ancients" and predictably two other tagalongs joined up - a sorc and a zon. We ended up fighting packs of Poison Immune (phew) Frenzytaurs and Skeleton Archers on the Ancient's Way. It was a hard fight, but I held up well and used Slow Missiles liberally.

Then suddenly, the Frenzytaurs got the better of me. My Valk died, and before I could recast they were on top of me. I could only leech for so long, and couldn't play keepaway long enough to get the Valk out. Even with ridiculous dodge and block, I got killed when at least three of the buggers frenzied up on me.

Less than five seconds after I died, the other two party members were dead as well. Within ten seconds, both had quit the game, leaving me to solo the Ancients on my own.

It's a big ego boost to know that without me in the lead, the monsters would just rip through my party ;)

I still haven't got my merc up to Reaper's Toll level yet. Currently he's wielding an ethereal Bonehew. Before he could do that, his survivability was absolutely horrible - I had to tank for him almost all the time!

Btw, I find Duriel's Shell + Natalya's Helm to be a really nice strength booster that gives very sweet resists to boot. Those two allowed my Merc to wield the high strength dual Amn'ed bonehew Just one level past the minimum required, and give him nicer resists than I have! LOL.

7. Shanksie1337

nope, the reapers removed all stoneskin PI i have ever encountered too.

i would happily give u a demo/proof on EU ladder - but i decided to remake my WF zon, give me a few days to get her back up past lvl 75 and i'll happily show that a reapers will remove ANY PI from ANY monster. Or at least it has from everything i have ever tried to kill, from PI SS frenzytaur boss/champions in Act5 to super unique SSPI in the pits.

"I still haven't got my merc up to Reaper's Toll level yet. Currently he's wielding an ethereal Bonehew. Before he could do that, his survivability was absolutely horrible - I had to tank for him almost all the time!"

Once he is happily swinging that reapers you'll see i am not wrong :D

8. Frenzied Bovine

Shanksie, I have encountered (it's damn rare) a few monsters that can't be Reaper's Toll'd. One definite example that I can remember was a stone skinned oblivion knight caster boss (NOT deSeis) that I bumped into in the Chaos Sanctuary. I had to melee him with Lacerator, because my merc kept overriding my Amp with Decrep and effectively turning the boss's PI flag back on. Sounds ridiculous, but i've seen it happen.

9. Shanksie1337

ach well, maybe there is that one in a million :D
    If you don't mind i'll continue to think that it removes 100% until i see otherwise :D

also on the offchance i encounter this mythical beastie i have an upp'd perfect WWS on switch & and an Atmas in the Cube. (i will just need to remember to remove the reapers).

10. Liessa Wyrmbane

Liessa Wyrmbane IncGamers Member

Just yesterday my hc base vita zon encountered a duo of stone skin PI frenzataur bosses. One was cursed and the other one was extra strong. Neither my mercs Decrepify or my Amplify Damage could remove their phys immune status. I had to kill both with magic arrow. If you don't believe I have a screenshot.

Regards,
    Liessa

11. Shanksie1337

well i can still stand by my statement :p

i have yet to run into one of these stubborn PI beasties :D

maybe it's due to the fact my strafer works in the pits, eats in the pits, sleeps in the pits, and once in a very rare while ventures above ground if she gets too craggy :D

That said i do use her her rushing sometimes if i don't feel like hammerdin'ing/blizz'ing things and she hasn't encountered one yet.

12. Frenzied Bovine

That's ok. It's very rare :) I can honestly count the quantity of anti-decrep PI's I have encountered with my zon on ONE hand.