Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Three Way Dance - Redux (Signup Thread/Rules)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PSYCHO, Sep 12, 2018.

?

Are you chicken, or will you join?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2018.
  1. Blame Durf (I are chicken)

27.3%
  2. For great honour! (I will join)

72.7%
  1. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

Can we make a slight addition to the exceptions? When running the Ancient Tunnels, it is quickest to talk to Warriv, go back to Act I, then use waypoints to go directly to Act II Lost City. It beats running through Lut Gholein.

2. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

Permission granted. I've never considered doing that for AT.

3. smloeffelholz

smloeffelholz Diabloii.Net Member

Athena just killed Mephisto, and he had a pretty impressive quest drop.

[​IMG]

I know what you are thinking. So how did it roll?

[​IMG]
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I know this was a short update, but I figure I should put in my score as well.

Team The Immortals? (smloeffelholz) - 51pts
    Persephone
    - (Assassin: Traps/Shad.Disc - 10) - lvl 35 - Act IV Norm - 21pts
    Athena
    - (Amazon: P&M/J&S - 10) - lvl 33 - Act III Norm - 18pts
    Hecate
    - (Sorc: Lightning/Cold - 10) - lvl 28 - Act III Norm - 12pts

Friiser, Pb_pal, PSYCHO and 1 other person like this.
  4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Probably like everyone else, I was thinking you were talking about the green breast plate ...

Zyr and Pb_pal like this.
  5. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Ribble

The third act was a relatively smooth one for Ribble and his army. He found the figurine right off the docks and his army (relatively) easily handled Sszark and company.

Not a ton of interesting stuff happens when you're just following along behind the horde, but he did find this halfway decent polearm, which Ketto's merc will gladly take as an upgrade:

[​IMG]

It was then off through the Flayer Jungle where Endugu first fell, and the army pushed their way to Stormtree. I've been pumping Skeleton Mastery for a while, and the mages are doing pretty well. The warriors, however, are starting to lose a bit of staying power and I'm having to recast them fairly frequently. That's what you get with only one point into RS I suppose!

We rolled a decent stair trap in the Ruined Temple, consisting of a pole of normal rogues and a champ pack of Wailing Beasts:

[​IMG]

Everything was going well until a mage decided to randomly make a break for the main room, which of course drew Sarina in. She pushed us back into one of the wings, but we were able to stabilize the fight in the doorway and finish her off without much danger.

The rest of the act was simple, including the fight with Meph, who dropped nothing of consequence.

Bedoe

Act 2 began as standard fare; hire a merc, get him to 19 to equip a savage polearm, and play follow-the-leader. With the ever-growing Concentration aura, the two of them quickly plowed through Radament and got the Cube. Having a char who is actually physically involced is a ncie change of pace, and allowed places wike the Maggot Lair and Arcane to go much more smoothly. Bedoe left Fangskin to the merc, smoked the Summoner, and before we knew it we were into the tombs.

As quickly as this act went, I will mention that Unravellers SUCK. The happened to be absolutely everywhere inthe true tomb, so it took a while to clear the way to Duriel. The bug himself was no real match for Zeal and thawing potions, and was soon down in a heap of useless junk.

Unlike his brethren, Bedoe decided to skip leveling and went straight into the jungles. Right after collecting the Jade Figurine, he popped a couple Iths into a sword, and is now one-shotting all the little ones with Charge.

Like the previous act, not a ton to talk about here. Thanks to his aura, the two of these guys are just melting their way through. Szzark fell, the Gidbinn was collected, even Stormtree stood no chance. We managed good placement for Sarina's pack too:

[​IMG]

She dropped Steelclash, though we cannot use it which is a bit of a shame. Oh well, those are the breaks in tourneys like this. Another one (ethereal this time) dropped in the Sewers, just to rub it in a bit.

The council stood no chance, and Bedoe Charged his way down the Durance to Meph without issue.

[​IMG]

Mephisto soon followed in Duriel's footsteps, including leaving a bunch of useless rares behind.

--

Team Parmecia (Pb_pal) - 48pts
    Ribble - (Necro: Summ/Curse - 10) - lvl 30 - Act IV Norm - 18pts
    Ketto
    - (Barb: Warcries/Mast. - 7/2) - lvl 27 - Act III Norm - 12pts
    Bedoe
    - (Paladin: CSkills/Off.Auras - 7/2) - lvl 29 - Act IV Norm - 18pts

Zyr, smloeffelholz and Friiser like this.
  6. smloeffelholz

Since Athena and Hecate wrapped up A3 and moved to the start of A4, Persephone decided to continue her roll of the trail blazer. She fought through A5 with relatively little trouble. Despite some difficulty managing her mana, she now has a health pool that gives a decent cushion for normal, even on P8. In order to get some extra exp (and some extra chances for a nice rare), she reloaded the map after finding each WP in order to kill Shenk/Eldritch. Once Nihlathak's portal was open, she added Pindle to this patten. It wasn't long before this paid off.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure that this qualifies as end game gear, but I was pretty pleased. I figure that +skills and resists are both very useful as the game gets more difficult. Once Persephone decided to brave the Worldstone Keep, she got another surprise.

[​IMG]

I was trying to remember the Qlvl for a SoJ, and wondered if it was possible to drop in WSK3 on normal. Unfortunately, before I could ponder this question for too long, I realized that I had picked up a 16% MF Nagel. :mad:

Oh well, there was no time to be upset about this. I had to prepare for the battle with Baal. I steadily made my way down to the throne room, and wondered if I should change the difficulty for the minion waves. Surely a goddess should be able to handle P8, so I gave it a go. The first 2 waves were easy as pie, but the 3rd wave was a good clue that this might not have been a good idea. Bartuc was a bit of a struggle because my merc thought the pile of hydras in the middle of the room was the perfect place for him to stand. Then Ventar was a very slow fight, but he was eventually defeated as well. Then Lister spawned with "Extra Fast", I knew I was in trouble. Haseen didn't stand a chance, and he died quickly. I was able to escape the throne room, but it wouldn't feel right to park Lister for my first ever HC character. I reloaded, and returned to the throne. After fighting the last two waves on P3, Baal was surprisingly easy. He also made a great target for my WoI traps, which I rarely use against normal mobs. Before I knew it...

[​IMG]

Persephone is officially my first D2 Destroyer in around 16 years of playing. I'm not going to say that I caught the HC bug yet, but I am starting to understand why some people prefer it. Here is my score as things stand now.

Team The Immortals? (smloeffelholz) - 66pts
    Persephone
    - (Assassin: Traps/Shad.Disc - 10) - lvl 49 - Act V Norm - 30pts
    Athena
    - (Amazon: P&M/J&S - 10) - lvl 33 - Act IV Norm - 18pts
    Hecate
    - (Sorc: Lightning/Cold - 10) - lvl 33 - Act IV Norm - 18pts

Pb_pal, Friiser and Zyr like this.
  7. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

@zemaj, I'm not superstitious, but I caught a couple of Bloody Foothills rabbits and crossed their feet, just in case...

zemaj likes this.
  8. smloeffelholz

I was so pleased by Persephone's performance, that it inspired me to try to duplicate her success with Athena. After cruising through normal with one character, it boosted my confidence that I could do it with another. In my journey, I quickly learned two things. First, confidence is not necessarily a good thing in HC. Second, don't talk to your wife when Frenzytaurs are about.

Despite being above level 30 and having access to LF, Athena was still not ready for the skill. The damage was not there yet, and the mana was still too restrictive. She stuck to using CS through act 4, and it proved to be very effective against most of the minions. The Abyss Knights were another story. Their high lightning resist and ranged spells made them very dangerous. Luckily, they were pretty limited, and Athena was soon ready to face the Lord of Terror. This fight is where I ran into my first NDE. I had things under control, and then Diablo threw out a lightning hose that I was not ready for. My red bulb was at a sliver when I got out of the spray and chugged a purple potion. Diablo fell shortly after, and the disaster was averted.

A5 began, and it was almost going too well. Athena was cruising through minions easily, and she started gaining levels quickly. As she set off through the Crystalline Passage looking for Anya, she had her second NDE. I had just found the entrance to the Frozen River when my wife popped in to ask me a question. It was about some nonsense topic like feeding our children or paying bills. While my attention was briefly split, 4 champion Frenzytaurs decided to surround Athena. I safely got to the pause button, but then I remembered something. I am doing this "for great honour!" I unpaused and was able to fight my way out of the mess. Pindle must have been watching, because he decided to reward me with this on his first death.

[​IMG]

I continued to use the tactic of reloading the map after each WP, and Pindle again showed his reverence.

[​IMG]

To be honest, I think he had a crush on Athena. He also dropped a Suicide Branch and a Skystrike before she was done killing him. His friends in the temple below also dropped an ethereal War Scythe that is guaranteed to get 4os if I decide to use a Larzuk quest on it.

Once I got to Nihlathak, LF really started to hit its stride. I forgot how overpowered that skill is early on (let's be honest, later on too with the right equipment). Athena cruised through the Ancients and got one more small surprise before she entered Baal's throne room.

[​IMG]

Being a goddess, she too decided to take on Baal's minions at P8 for the first try. Unlike Persephone, she had no trouble at all. Ventar and Lister melted like butter with just a few LF throws. Baal didn't fare much better, and Athena joined her sister as a Destroyer.

[​IMG]

Team The Immortals? (smloeffelholz) - 78pts
    Persephone
    - (Assassin: Traps/Shad.Disc - 10) - lvl 50 - Act V Norm - 30pts
    Athena
    - (Amazon: P&M/J&S - 10) - lvl 50 - Act V Norm - 30pts
    Hecate
    - (Sorc: Lightning/Cold - 10) - lvl 33 - Act IV Norm - 18pts

Pb_pal and Zyr like this.
  9. Pb_pal

Quick update before the MF Tourney sucks up what remains of my playing time!

Ketto

Act 3 was, well, easy. It can only get so exciting when you're following a merc with a a Savage Polearm and are equipped with two of the best CC skills out there (Howl and Taunt). Found the figurine straight away off the docks, and quickly pushed through to Sszark.

Plodding along, he found an unuseable pair of Bloodfists before finding the Gidbinn and making his way down to visit the good Doctor. Stormtree was handled by howling away the minions and letting the merc take care of things, as was Sarina:

[​IMG]

The rest of the act followed in completely uneventful fashion and soon Ketto had walked his way down to Meph, who also dropped nothing of interest:

[​IMG]

One interesting thing did happen though, he hit level 30! That means War Cry is FINALLY available! It's too mana heavy and weak for real use just yet, but at least I'll be able to stun some stuff next time around.

Ribble

Equipped with a shiny new rare wand that Ketto found, it was off into the Underworld for Ribble. I'm giving Fire Golem a shot for now, as I've never seriously used it before and it fits the theme of being a Lord of Mages decently.

Spawners slowed the group down in the PoD, but with a bit of patience (and some Dim Vision), Ribble eventually found and dispatched Izual's tortured spirit. Well, Ribble didn't do anything, and the merc is still so damn strong that everything melts, but you get the idea.

Speaking of curses, it's pretty much a mix of Decrep and LR at this point, depending on if we need to settle things down or if I want to speed the mages killing power a bit. Slow but sure, the army made their way through the River of Flame, overwhelmed Hephasto, and nabbed a Thul from the Forge.

[​IMG]

The CS was also cleared easily, and none of Vizier, De Seis, or the Infector gave us any real guff. It was at this point I thought I'd be super clever and make a 'Malice' Iron Golem to help bleed out Diablo. Clever me had already muled in a 3-socket Crystal Sword explicitly for this purpose! Clever me was SO prepared! After all these years of playing, with many a necromancer having been made, clever me forgot that IG can't be made from Crystal Swords. Suddenly, not so clever. :rolleyes:

So we plopped the nice sword into the stash and hit the last seal anyways. Diablo immediately wiped out my entire army with two quick fire novas, perfect! Clay Golem, Decrepify and the merc would have to go it alone!

[​IMG]

After what seemed like countless golem re-casts, merc resurrections, and laps around the Pentagram to escape the hose, the ol' Soulstone Unicorn did eventually succumb. Nothing of use from the drop, but it's nice to make it passed this hurdle which is always a bit tricky, especially for Necromancers.

Off to Harrogath!

--

Team Parmecia (Pb_pal) - 57pts
    Ribble - (Necro: Summ/Curse - 10) - lvl 33 - Act V Norm - 21pts
    Ketto
    - (Barb: Warcries/Mast. - 7/2) - lvl 30 - Act IV Norm - 18pts
    Bedoe
    - (Paladin: CSkills/Off.Auras - 7/2) - lvl 29 - Act IV Norm - 18pts

Zyr and smloeffelholz like this.
  10. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

I've been getting my Fire Sorc up and running to perhaps join the MF tournament, so I've slowed progress on my HC players. Starting from scratch basically in HC, so it reaffirms how challenging this game can be...at least for me :)

PSYCHO, T72on1 and Zyr like this.
  11. smloeffelholz

Glad to hear that you and your character survived the tornado @zemaj.

If life treats me kindly this weekend, I should have another update by the end of the day tomorrow. In the meantime, I would appreciate some advice on outfitting my A2 merc.

I knew that I would want insight as soon as I joined the tournament, since it makes mana one less thing that I have to think about while trying to keep my characters alive. I plan on upgrading the base as often as luck allows, and keeping the best 3 options equipped on my mercs for backups. I also plan on running NM Mephisto until he gives me at least one Tal's helm. With 10% LL, [email protected], and a good life boost, this helm can easily work on a merc through hell difficulty. That just leaves the body armor.

I am trying to figure out good budget options for armor that I have a reasonably high probability of finding. This is what I have thought of so far:
    Meph could drop Duriel's, and that would obviously be great
    I could run NM Countess for Io's and cube into a Lum for Smoke, res, FHR, some defense
    Luck or forge could bring me a Lem rune, and then I can make Treachery, self explanatory
    Luck or forge could bring me an Um rune, that allows Duress, seems sturdy with good bonuses
    Shaftstop is another possible Meph drop, but even more rare than Duriel's, still a good option

Again, I will be keeping my 3 best options to prepare for the worst. Have I missed any good options, or does this sound reasonable?

PSYCHO likes this.
  12. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

All of the options you named are good. I'd add three more:

- "Lionheart"

- Spirit Forge

- Griswold's Heart

The vast majority of the elite "Insight" polearms I've been able to make are non-ethereal Colossus Voulges. Any of these three armors is a huge help in meeting the CV Str requirement.

13. smloeffelholz

When I created this team, Hecate was the goddess I knew the least about. I had a faint memory that there was a Greek god of sorcery, and a quick Google search led me to her. I wish I had done more research. If I knew that she was a yearly shoe-in for the Mount Olympus mana chugging contest, I might have reconsidered including her. Seriously, I was shocked by how much mana she was burning through with lightning.

Because of the somewhat close calls that I have had with her in the past, I already knew that she was pretty squishy. I took things nice and slow through A4. Her lightning damage was high enough that most enemies died pretty quickly. When she ran into Izual, I was reminded just how nice it is to have a decent Static Field. She found a +3 SF orb a while ago, and that made the radius much more comfortable than the +1 to the skill she was working with before that. The act was pretty uneventful, and Diablo died without any close calls.

In Act 5, Hecate got a nice little trophy as she broke the siege on Harrogath.

[​IMG]

She also got very lucky with her Arreat Plateau WP. It was in the upper left corner of the map just a short walk from Thresh Socket. Since I was still sticking to my reload strategy for XP and more chances at rares, he would be a nice addition to the cycle. After finding the Crystalline Passage WP, he was kind enough to leave this behind.

[​IMG]

As she was going through the Crystalline passage, a white partizan dropped. Since it is ilvl 38, Larzuk is guaranteed to put 4 sockets in it. That also makes a pretty solid Insight base, and should give me all of NM to improve on it. Then, Hecate easily rescued Anya and dispatched Nihlathak. She then added Pindle to her rotation. After finding the WP for the Ancient's Way, Pindle dropped what could have been an extremely useful item.

[​IMG]

I couldn't help but imagine how awesome it would have been if the amulet was for a sorceress instead of a Barbarian. It was still worth keeping, and I tried to keep my disappointment in check. Hecate easily defeated the ancients, and continued on to Baal. When I got to the throne room, I decided to be smart about Baal's waves (ie. I chickened out). I fought them on P3, and they were no match for the onslaught of lightning bolts. The fight with Baal went surprisingly smoothly, with Ilzan actually getting to see his death.

[​IMG]

For my first attempt at hardcore, things aren't going too bad. I have 3 destroyers even with item/skill restrictions. I know nightmare will be harder, and I honestly don't have very high hopes for hell. Still, I avoided anything too embarrassing *cough* @WilsonFisk *cough*, and I feel ready to take all 3 to the next difficulty.

Team The Immortals? (smloeffelholz) - 90pts
    Persephone
    - (Assassin: Traps/Shad.Disc - 10) - lvl 50 - Act I NM - 30pts
    Athena
    - (Amazon: P&M/J&S - 10) - lvl 50 - Act I NM - 30pts
    Hecate
    - (Sorc: Lightning/Cold - 10) - lvl 50 - Act I NM - 30pts

Pb_pal, Zyr and Friiser like this.
  14. Pb_pal

@smloeffelholz - Congrats on the full team of Destroyers! That's a nice hurdle to cross. :)

Ribble

Ribble was the first to push on, hoping to be the first of the trio to kill that pesky Baal character they'd been hearing so much about.

It was an easy trek up through the foothills to Shenk, who fell without issue to Ribble's horde of minions. They continued their roll, saving the barbs, killing Thresh Socket, and entering into the icy caves. Got to have a bit of fun here with Revives, pitting my Moon Lords against theirs:

[​IMG]

With Anya saved (and her reward resold to her), it was aa quick kill of Pindle and an easy trip down to our fellow necromancer Nihlathak.

I accidentally took on the Ancients at /p8, but it didn't matter at all as they all went down with ease. Ribble maxed out Skeleton Mastery in the WSK, so now his attention will be turned to maxing Mages.

The waves were actually really fun. First we stole a bunch of cold mages from Achmel. They got roasted pretty had the next round, but we piled up on Bartuc's guys instead. Next up, you guessed it, we stole a bunch of Venom Lords and bottlenecked Lister an company in the doorway. Easy as that.

The Baal fight was over before it began. Clay Golem + Decrep = paraplegic Baal, and Ribble made Destroyer at level 45. He did a few runs to get up to 48 in the hopes of finding some gear for the other two, but no such luck.

[​IMG]

Other finds:
    - Heart Carver

Bedoe

Into the Outer Steppes, the lack of crowd control is starting to become apparent. That's kind of the nature of Charge, but things are starting to get dangerous if I'm not careful. Pretty standard fare though, slow and steady we made our way to Izual, and pushed on passed Hephasto to get a Ral at the Forge.

Added a nice sword found by Ribble, found a Sol (being saved for now, but I'll need it for weapons later), and headed off into the CS. Slowly. The curses are very dangerous for Bedoe and can really screw things up for him, so it was a mixture of Charge and Zeal in there. BH is still too mana intensive to use, and not powerful enough to make an impact anyways. I have to say, Charging the hell out of De Seis was quite fun though!

[​IMG]

The fight with Diablo was... okay. Lots of resurrections, lots of running around, lots of town trips, but he eventually fell leaving a pile of garbage behind.

[​IMG]

--

Team Parmecia (Pb_pal) - 69pts
    Ribble - (Necro: Summ/Curse - 10) - lvl 48 - Act V Norm - 30pts
    Ketto
    - (Barb: Warcries/Mast. - 7/2) - lvl 30 - Act IV Norm - 18pts
    Bedoe
    - (Paladin: CSkills/Off.Auras - 7/2) - lvl 32 - Act V Norm - 21pts

15. Tigereye

Tigereye Diabloii.Net Member

Is it still possible to join this tournament?

PSYCHO likes this.
  16. Pb_pal

@Tigereye - Go for it! We always welcome signups in tournaments such as these, no matter if they are already underway. Nice to have you join :)

Tigereye and PSYCHO like this.
  17. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

Good to see updates still flowing through - of course for our US brethren there's the Day of Turkey around the corner, so that could mean (less... More?) updates incoming!

I will have a scoreboard update by this weekend, I'm hoping, and I've made a little progress in that time myself.

Pb_pal, Tigereye and Zyr like this.
  18. Tigereye

Thank you, then I will join :)

The Girls (Tigereye) - 0pts
    HC_Ophelia (Sorceress: Cold+Lightning, Mercenary Package) - lvl 1 - Act I Norm - 0 pts
    HC_Amoret (Assasin: Shadow+Traps, Mercenary Package) - lvl 1 - Act I Norm - 0 pts
    HC_Prylleia (Amazon: Javelin+Passive, Mercenary Package) - lvl 1 - Act I Norm - 0 pts

Update:
    I completed Act I with all three characters :)

The Girls (Tigereye) - 18 pts
    HC_Ophelia (Sorceress: Cold+Lightning, Mercenary Package) - lvl 14 - Act II Norm - 6 pts
    HC_Amoret (Assasin: Shadow+Traps, Mercenary Package) - lvl 12 - Act II Norm - 6 pts
    HC_Prylleia (Amazon: Javelin+Passive, Mercenary Package) - lvl 14 - Act II Norm - 6 pts

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    PSYCHO and Pb_pal like this.
  19. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Tigereye likes this.
  20. Tigereye

Act II completed, mostly playing follow the merc.

Duriel was a pain as usual :)
    Maybe I am a bit underleveled

The Girls (Tigereye) - 36 pts
    HC_Ophelia (Sorceress: Cold+Lightning, Mercenary Package) - lvl 20 - Act III Norm - 12 pts
    HC_Amoret (Assasin: Shadow+Traps, Mercenary Package) - lvl 17 - Act III Norm - 12 pts
    HC_Prylleia (Amazon: Javelin+Passive, Mercenary Package) - lvl 20 - Act III Norm - 12 pts

smloeffelholz and Zyr like this.