Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Three Way Dance - Redux (Signup Thread/Rules)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PSYCHO, Sep 12, 2018.

?

Are you chicken, or will you join?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2018.
  1. Blame Durf (I are chicken)

27.3%
  2. For great honour! (I will join)

72.7%
  1. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

I'll let PSYCHO have the final word, but we usually just are fine with the honour system around here on stuff like that.

@logoutzero covered some pretty good stuff, but if you want more information than you could ever need, defintieyl give jian's Guide to Untwinked, Single-pass, early game Magic Finding a read. It's written with single-pass (ie tournament-style) play in mind, and he's one of (if not THE) greatest HC Single-pass players to ever grace this forum.

People tend to go /p8 (/p3 for act Bosses, to minimize the nodrop chance) for all of normal/NM if the builds can handle it and then whatever /p setting they can stand in Hell (typically /p1 or /p3). The early grind is more than made up for with extra drops/power for Hell. This isn't as much of an issue in this tourney since re-running is allowed, but is probably still a good idea, and is what I'll be doing.

2. Friiser

Friiser Diabloii.Net Member

Question for the group... for the character rewards we are able to (we have to option to) equip a unique / set / crafted / runeword item in the appropriate slot after we beat normal, and again when we beat nightmare, and in the order we've specified.

I am interpreting this as we can equip the item1 at any point after normal difficulty is beaten, and equip item 2 at any point after nightmare has been beaten.

Also, for the item slot, can we swap in an improved item if one is found later? For example, for my bowazon, I find Lycander's aim and that is my reward. Later on in the tournament I find Windforce. Can I sub Windforce in for Lycander's aim?

3. PSYCHO

PSYCHO Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome bud ;) how about a second item slot for your Paladin? He gets something else at the completion of Nightmare too :)

Once the slot is unlocked you may put whatever you want in there whenever you want :)

4. PSYCHO

Alright guys, surprise time!

Go ahead and get started. I will be keeping entries open for longer than intended, and you may START WHEN READY!

Remember, once you start playing, your choices for rewards are SET IN STONE!

Pb_pal, WilsonFisk and logoutzero like this.
  5. Alittlepiggy

Alittlepiggy Diabloii.Net Member

Nice !!! Ill be starting my characters when i get home on Wednesday. Good luck everyone

PSYCHO and WilsonFisk like this.
  6. WilsonFisk

WilsonFisk Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I went with body armor and shield. My comment was edited, too, for ease of reference. :)

PSYCHO likes this.
  7. Alittlepiggy

Hey couple of questions. If my merc has merc pack can he use an item like reapers that casts decrep on attack and i dont have curse tree . Also can i make an iron golum out of a set/uni/rw. Or out of rare that casts say amp damage on attack

8. PSYCHO

Yes, 'Chance on...' items are completely legitimate, including weapons like Reaper's.

Also, you may make Golems out of anything you see fit - as you aren't 'equipping' anything :)

9. smloeffelholz

smloeffelholz Diabloii.Net Member

I had a little bit of time to play today, and I already have a point. My first attempt at hardcore is not a complete failure!... yet.

T72on1, PSYCHO, Zyr and 1 other person like this.
  10. WilsonFisk

WilsonFisk Diabloii.Net Site Pal

I like your cheerfully pessimistic attitude about this. :)

Started the druid and racked up four points today. I expect to have him finish Act 1 tomorrow and then the assassin will get started.

PSYCHO and Zyr like this.
  11. Alittlepiggy

Hey if possible I’d like to change the order of rewards on my Druid to shield and then wep. I won’t be starting my characters for a few days
    Forgot to put names so I’ll make
    Manbearpig Ele. Summon. Druid

pigsbro. Summon pnb necro

Laserpig. Trap shadow. Sin

12. smloeffelholz

I think I am going to take my assassin to the end of act 2 before starting the other characters. That should provide enough drops that I can stuff the other two with low level magic find before they start.

13. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't entered the Jail yet on my first character, and I already have my first p.topaz :p

Edit:

After a bit more running for the night, the first of the trio is almost level 20, furthest waypoint is Outer Cloister, and there's a TC3 in the prize stash.

There's some socketables, and socket fillers, and a few other items to gear a second for well into A2 I think, and hoping a bit more running will fill out enough to make the third not such a slog.

(I'll stay suspenseful for a bit longer, since we just started :))

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Pb_pal and Zyr like this.
  14. Friiser

Question @PSYCHO - why are crafted put in the category of Set, Unique and Runic items? In my opinion they are more like Rare items than they are the other categories. I'm not asking for a rule change, I'm just curious of the decision.

15. smloeffelholz

Wait, what?!? How is that even possible?

16. Friiser

Really lucky with gem shrines I expect, or just finding a ahrine close to a waypoint and running that until a p.topaz is generated.

17. logoutzero

This isn't a single-pass tournament, unless I missed something big?

I got lucky with nice shrine spawns on a few maps, linear path (mostly) from camp through Blood Moor (4 shrines), through Cold Plains (3 shrines) sniping Bishibosh and Coldcrow along the way. TP and waypoint to Stony Field, hit 3 more shrines and Rakanishu, then to Dark Wood waypoint and hit usually a boss pack, Treehead, and 2 more shrines. Ended up wearing a weird combination of Flawed and Normal Topaz (shrined a chipped until another chipped fell, then stuffed it into a hat/armor and started working the next one)

I was going to continue these runs until I had at least 12 P.Topaz, but accidentally moved into Act II immediately after killing Andy out of habit. I might do this anyway with one of the other 2.

Edit: Any time I found an EXP shrine, I hit it and immediately took Black Marsh WP > Tower. Usually able to hit 3 or 4 bosspacks on with the shrine still active. Then I'd hit the Countess if I was already on level 3 or 4. Not much to show for it, but was able to put a couple Rals to work once clvl (and merc) were high enough.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Zyr likes this.
  18. Friiser

This is not a single pass tournament. Also, for those inclined, remember to quest bug Andariel.

Edit: After killing Andy, talk to Warriv, but don't go to act II. Andy is bugged, and we can run her some. This was more my thinking for NM and Hell, as otherwise you'll not have the cube. Psycho, correct me if my Andy plan is against the rules.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  19. logoutzero

While not a strict rule ("when in doubt, do what's fun" or whatever) once you move to the next act, you aren't supposed to re-run the previous act. Exception to this rule is moving to Act IV to make Mephisto more accessible.

Edit: That's probably what you meant by "for those inclined" sorry!

20. smloeffelholz

I'm not sure that my assassin is built for using daggers. Still, I might carry this for a while to see how it works. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Zyr likes this.