Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Three Way Dance - Redux (Signup Thread/Rules)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PSYCHO, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM.

?

Are you chicken, or will you join?

This poll will close on Sep 26, 2018 at 10:58 PM.
  1. Blame Durf (I are chicken)

30.0%
  2. For great honour! (I will join)

70.0%
  1. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Well... It has been around 7-8 years (yes, that long!), since I've attempted this - at least, that's what the forum search query tells me. I figure with the conclusion of the MFO it would be a nice time to squeeze everyone into a capped-time tournament that harks back to plentiful shins being kicked, many bars being drunk dry, and many Hardcore characters lost to the wind. The Three Way Dance isn't an SPF institution, but in some ways, it can definitely send you to one...

I will leave it to the forum to decide on the following choices I have inside my head:

1) Will everyone play as 'self-found', or will everyone be playing for prizes? (At the moment I'm saying 'Yes' to prizes, but if that scares people off, I'd rather have more people playing :) )

2) Do I institute a time limit, or does that favour people with more time?

3) If we do prizes, I will amend the thread in-line with MFO guidelines (limits to prizes per player/how they are distributed)

4) If we do not do prizes, we'll have some sort of gloating thread to praise the victor/s

Any additional comments, questions, or queries, please let me know!

I will consider this a Signup Thread - I will have this thread replaced with the full tournament thread in TWO WEEKS. That should give all players, lurkers, and new signups the chance to see and signup if need be. I may also allow late-comers to join!

Tournament Rules

Character Restrictions

Choose three characters - all characters MUST be of a different class

ALL characters are to be Hardcore

Living characters must stay within ONE Act of each other

Characters can ONLY utilise two skill trees, not all three

Item Restrictions

Items can be bought from ALL Acts and difficulties

Items used may ONLY be Normal, Magic and Rare

Crafted, Runic, Set and Unique items CANNOT be used on characters or mercenaries at any point except outlined by the 'Character Rewards' section, below

Skills granted by an item for a skill tree that you do not use CANNOT be used if that item is equipped (IE: if a Sorc is using Fire and Cold skills and picks up an Orb with +1 Teleport on it, the Orb can be equipped but the Sorc may not use Teleport). This also includes inherent skills from socketed items made into Runic items and 'for-all-character' skills present on such Runewords as 'Enigma'.

Items with Passive skills for the Skill Tree you have NOT chosen that provide an ACTIVE bonus to your character may not be equipped (IE: if a Sorc is using Fire and Cold skills and finds an Orb with +1 Lightning Mastery on it, the Orb can be equipped as Lightning Mastery provides no bonus to Cold or Fire skills. However if a Sorc using Cold and Lightning skills and picks up an Orb with +1 Warmth, the Orb cannot be equipped as Warmth provides a Passive bonus to Mana Regeneration).

Charges are perfectly acceptable

Character Rewards

Players are given the option of equipping Unique, Runic, Set and Crafted items in an item slot of their choice when they:

Have made Destroyer

And again when they've made Conqueror

The rule of thumb for muling items is that once an item is muled off into a prize stash it may not be muled back onto your tournament character. If you intend to use ANY ITEM WHATSOEVER at a later date for your tournament character it must stay on one of your living tournament characters.

The item slots available are as follows:

1. Headgear (includes Primal Helms and Animal Pelts)
    2. Body Armour
    3. Belts
    4. Gloves
    5. Boots
    6. Shields (includes Paladin Shields and Necromancer Trophies)
    7. Weapons (includes Sorceress Orbs and Amazon Bows/Javelins/Pikes)
    8. Jewellery 1 (Amulet and Single Ring)
    9. Jewellery 2 (Both Rings Equipped)

Or if you wish you may decide to forego ALL character rewards in exchange for this at Destroyer:

10. The Mercenary Package (Headgear - including Primal Helms for Act V Barbarians, Weapons and Armour - includes Shields for Act III Eastern Sorcerers)

There are two milestones that will allow you to equip Unique, Runic, Set or Crafted items onto your character and that is when reaching Destroyer and Conqueror status. You may only choose ONE DEDICATED ITEM SLOT per milestone. Not only that but the two item slots you plan to use must be decided BEFORE playing that character. For example:

A player using a Barbarian decides to choose '7. Weapons' as his slot reward for making Destroyer and '2. Body Armour' when he has become Conqueror. This now CANNOT be changed once he has commenced playing the Barbarian. If this player happens to find a Unique or Set Body Armour for his Barbarian (or creates a Runic/Crafted weapon), he MUST leave it on his Barbarian character or give it to one of his other tournament characters for temporary storage. It CANNOT be muled off onto his tournament stash and then put back on once he has made Destroyer with that Barbarian.

Play Restrictions

All quests MUST be completed before moving onto the next Act

Quests MUST be completed in order

Visiting previous difficulties is NOT allowed unless to socket, imbue or engrave items and change maps

Trading is NOT allowed between different players in this tournament, but it IS allowed between your own three characters

You may visit previous difficulties to change map seeds however buying items and gambling items from previous difficulties is still off limits. All quests must be completed in order (or as "in order" as Act II and III allow us to be). Yes, that means Nihlathak must be killed before Baal in ALL difficulties.

Special notes

Returning the Horadric Malus to Charsi, defeating Shenk the Overseer and killing Nihlathak are sufficient for completing those quests in Act I and Act V. It is up to you whether or not to use the imbue, engrave and socket rewards immediately or to save them for a later date

You CANNOT 'Save and Exit' if you are in trouble (or any other variation such as 'Alt-F4' and 'Slam my fist into the reset button'). If you find yourself in any kind of trouble at all, fight to the death or fight your way out and Portal to Town - but do not avoid dying honourably by saving and exiting or by any other dishonourable means.

Rewards

1 point per completed quest

3 points for finishing Normal Difficulty (making Destroyer)

5 points for finishing Nightmare Difficulty (making Conqueror)

11 points for finishing Hell Difficulty (making Guardian)

1 item slot granted for finishing Normal Difficulty (making Destroyer)

1 item slot granted for finishing Nightmare Difficulty (making Conqueror)

Or with regards to item slots one can forego their item slot rewards for Nightmare and Hell and choose to equip their Mercenary entirely once making Destroyer.

Helpful Numbers

30 points per character that has made Destroyer
    62 points per character that has made Conqueror
    100 points per character that has made Guardian

Your Contribution

All players must maintain a stash to store items for this tournament. All items that are found with your tournament characters must end up in one of the following places:

1. On your characters (dead or alive - self, inventory and in-game chest)
    2. On your mercenary (dead or alive - within the confines of the character rewards section)
    3. In your Prize Stash (via the accepted means such as Atma/GoMule etc.)
    4. Sold off or left on the ground

There is a 'Minimum Item Requirement' for prize stashes. In other words the only items that all participants should worry about putting into their Prize Stashes are:

TC3 items - if you do not know what they are, a list can be found via this thread; along with a very good explanation of where to find them: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585846

Semi-Rare runes and above: Sol, Dol, Hel, Io, Lum, Ko, Fal, Lem, Pul, Um, Mal, Ist, Gul, Vex, Ohm, Lo, Sur, Ber, Jah, Cham and Zod.

Exceptional Unique and all Elite Unique and Set items.

If you don't think you can part with finding a very rare Elite Unique item then state you wish to play 'Self-found'. In previous tournaments we've given away some very nice items due to players' honesty (two that come to mind are the Grandfather and Cranium Basher), so once again I ask; if you cannot part with it, be honest from the very beginning and play as 'Self-found'.

A special note here about dead characters and items. When your tournament character dies you are NEVER to take items off that character for use on your other tournament characters or to transfer into your prize stash. Once a character is dead all items on that character are considered lost.

In conclusion...

Please state, along with your team name and characters, what FAM you are playing with, and also if you intend to contribute to the Prize Pool or if you prefer to play as Self-Found (keep all items). If you do not have trade status you may still partake in this tournament but may not contribute a prize stash and may not receive prizes once the tournament is over.

Remember to also include your choice of rewards for every character, for Nightmare and Hell or if you wish to exchange them for Mercenary outfitting in Hell BEFORE commencing play. Remember that these cannot be changed once you have started playing your characters! Please be respectful and polite to other people in this tournament thread.

Fruit likes this.
  2. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

If there is no time limit, I might actually join this. In a decade or so I might actually finish.

Cool concept. I would definitely do contribution. My mind is running through team and build possibilities, so if I decide on that I might sign up and use this to get me back into D2.

PSYCHO likes this.
  3. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

As is tradition, I will name my team:

MrMarrow- (Necro - Summon/Curse) - lvl 1 - Act I Nml
    FurryFury - (Druid - Feral/Summon) - lvl 1 - Act I Nml
    Molpadia - (Amazon - P&M/Bow&CBow) - lvl 1 - Act I Nml

4. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

Seems like putting a time limit on this would result in many deeds... but if there is no time limit, when do you split up the accumulated loot?

Also, not single-pass or anything? I may actually do this one...

PSYCHO likes this.
  5. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

In the past we've basically gotten to the point where updates are few and far between. People drop off the face of the Earth, or are otherwise uninvolved, and we call it. Not Single Pass, you can run whatever you like as long as you don't proceed to the next Act (stay parked).

[edit] Clarification: You can re-run Act Bosses for loot etc, as long as you like with the following conditions:

1) Your living characters are within one Act of each other;
    2) You haven't moved onto the next Act.

I may make one aside for this - maybe we'll allow skipping to Act IV and still be able to come back to Mephisto because of the whole "It's easier to run Meph starting from Act IV because I really hate that pointless run to the Waypoint in Act III town after Saving and Exiting". [/edit]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 5:17 AM
    zemaj likes this.
  6. Friiser

Friiser IncGamers Member

I've not gotten into HC yet in my D2 career and this might be the perfect opportunity. I'll give it some more thought over the weekend and check back in. Either way I'm lurking this thread!

PSYCHO likes this.
  7. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Aw crap PSYCHO. I don't have time for this, but I certainly can't turn it down. Consider this my sign-up, though I'll come up with characters/names and such after some deliberation.

Just to clarify, there is no extended stash other than the characters sharing items between them, correct?

Also, this is a little confusing:

We can re-run anything in the difficulty, or just anything as long as the characters stay within 1 act of each other (ie. an A4 character cannot re-run Act 1 targets)?

EDIT: for the rewards, does choosing 'Weapons' include the switch as well, what about dual-wielding for barbs/sins?

Edit again: If we choose the merc package, do we have to choose what type of merc before we start, or can we adjust according to drops as we go?

EDIT again again: I'd be playing self-found, but if I find anything snazzy I can add it into the pool if there is one. Also, no time limit please. :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 3:45 PM
  8. Baltha

Baltha IncGamers Member

I blame Durf. The concept is really interesting, but the rules are too restrictive for me - as tournaments typically are. I may steal some ideas for a personal project, though.

Good luck guys!

9. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

The rules aren't that bad really.

Must not use 1 skilltree.

3 chars played simultaneously, and stay within 1 act of eachother.

Rare quality or lower gear, except where noted.

Set and higher to a prize stash.

I'll play, but if there's a time limit I won't do well. I have 2 jobs. Also, I have 2 other tourney characters active, 3 more almost nets me a tourney sept.

I'll think about the team and post in a few hours when I get home. I do know there won't be a barb or druid, since I already have them covered tournament-wise.

10. smloeffelholz

smloeffelholz IncGamers Member

I have never played hardcore before, so I guess this tournament is as good an excuse as any to start.

Team name: The Immortals?

Member 1: Persephone - Assassin - Traps/Shadow Disciplines - Lvl 1 - Act 1 Normal (Mercenary Package)
    Snared in one of the greatest laid traps of all time, Persephone is now hell bent on using her intricate knowledge of this art to combat the minions of Sanctuary.

Member 2: Athena - Amazon - Javelin and Spear/Passive and Magic - Lvl 1 - Act 1 Normal (Mercenary Package)
    Familiar with (throwing) spears since birth, Athena is ready to use her knowledge of warfare to pick apart any creature who dares to confront her.

Member 3: Hecate - Sorceress - Lightning/Cold - Lvl 1 - Act 1 Normal (Mercenary Package)
    Long known as the matriarch of magic and witchcraft, Hecate will use her arcane knowledge to destroy any and all who stand before her.

These three goddesses were torn from their universe and dropped into the world of Sanctuary. They are eager to regain the powers that were stripped from them, but one question haunts them all. If all of their unearthly power is gone, are they still immortal?

Edit: 1.14d, FAM, Self-found

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    Pb_pal, WilsonFisk, Zyr and 3 others like this.
  11. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Absolutely correct on the first notion - there is literally NO extended Stash for the characters. They share all items and inventory space between them.

I had a Durf moment myself there and wasn't thinking straight: You can re-run Act Bosses as long as everyone's within One Act of each other. Can't backtrack to other Acts once you've moved forward. I meant to say 'Act' but instead typed 'Difficulty' - that's too much typing for me!

Weapons includes the Switch, yes - and it also includes Double-Wielding as well.

Mercenaries are free reign - you may switch and choose Mercenaries as you go, but on other counterpoint, keeping different kinds of Merc gear will also use up that valuable free space in your inventories!

Pb_pal likes this.
  12. WilsonFisk

WilsonFisk IncGamers Site Pal

I love this idea, but I'm terrified of trying to play HC, let alone competing with better players in HC. As much as I love the game, I'll never claim to be very good at it :D

PSYCHO likes this.
  13. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Okay, I'M IN.

One last (I promise!) question. I'm assuming 'normal' items for gear include generic socketed things as long as they aren't runewords (in which case they would fall under 'Runic'? So we're allowed to socket gems/runewords into greys and use them as long as we don't make a RW?

Allow me to (tentatively) introduce:

Team Parmecia

Ribble - Lord of Mages Necromancer (Summoning, Curses) - lvl 1, Rogue Encampment - Mercenary Package
    He will make use of Mages and Revives to get through. No CE? No problem!

Ketto - Singer Barbarian (Warcries, Masteries) - lvl 1, Rogue Encampment - Weapons (D), Body (C)
    He's been working out his lungs and is ready to irritate the enemy hordes into submission.

Bedoe - Liberator (BH/Charge) Paladin (Combat Skills, Offensive Auras) - lvl 1, Rogue Encampment - Weapons (D), Body (C)
    Offsetting the cheesiness of Blessed Hammer with the insanity of Charge. Is he a caster? Melee? I sure as hell don't know, and neither does he.

So those are my tentative builds. I'm going to think about it further and may change things a bit once the tournament officially begins. Looking forward to more entrants, this one is going to be fun!

Southpaw8668 and smloeffelholz like this.
  14. zemaj

zemaj IncGamers Member

Ok, just a clarification before I start planning too deep:

I was thinking that I'd run my team in a self-MP game, unallied, 2-nonactive chars in town, pretty much just so I'd have access to all three stashes simultaneously, and thereby not have to S&E just to swap goodies to another char. (EDIT: also for looting corpses if I feel like that's an option).

Is that going to be alright or will that cause a huge upset?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 7:32 PM
  15. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

I have all the time for everyone's questions :)

Yes, normal socketed items with gems, jewels, and runes are perfectly OK, and all fall under the guise of 'Normal' items. They are allowed :)

I might suggest the following. You would be playing self-found, but I have no issues with you conducting stashes in such a manner :) It's a grey area where other people may not have access to be able to loot corpses as you would, so that would be an imbalance in your favour - I would keep it simple. You play self-found, but you can still participate :)

16. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

It's not a problem if you can't play Hardcore :)

I remember my first Hardcore tournament was on the old DII.NET website - it was the Arctic Fur tournament - revolving around Hardcore Druids!

Feel free to jump in, and if you don't get far - it's ok! At least you dipped your toes in :)

WilsonFisk likes this.
  17. smloeffelholz

smloeffelholz IncGamers Member

As long as we are getting questions answered, I have a few that I would like answered.

1. Since I don't remember reading about them in the rules, are respecs allowed? I would assume you have to maintain the same 2 trees through hell, but can you respec within those trees as needed?

2. With a shared stash, I'm wondering if shared items are OK? For instance, all 3 of my characters could play with the same rare ring if I find a good one. Or all mercs could use the same insight if I find a good base.

3. I also don't remember reading anything about player levels. Is it acceptable to adjust to PX whenever needed to adjust drops, difficulty, etc?

18. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

1) Respecs are definitely one of things that have changed since this tournament last ran. I would say that what you've suggested makes the most sense:

- Respeccing is absolutely permissible, but it must be into the same trees you chose at the beginning

2) Shared items are absolutely fine - of course the risk you take is that if you have an 'Alpha Set' of the best items, you risk losing that set of items if the character wearing them should die;

3) Player levels are adjustable at all times - even cheesy chest popping is permissible.

19. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

I'm going to officially enter, since this isn't a single-pass run, I feel it is a bit more casual than some of the other tournaments, and I decided not to go for a tourney sept at this time.

I've always wanted to do the Ancients, but I don't have time to fairly devote to an MP group, so I'll take this opportunity to play them myself!

Talic, the Sword/Shield Whirler. (No Warcries)
    Madawc, the Axe Double Thrower with Shout. (No Masteries -OUCH!)
    Korlic, the Polearm Leaper. (No Warcries)

Edit:
    1.14d, HC, FAM.

Edit2: Different classes, derp. Re-planning in progress... .. . ... .. .

Edit3:
    Oltraneous, Novamancer less Summons. (Weapons/Shield)
    Galytrea, Javelin and Bow hybrid less Passives. (Weapons/Armor)
    Sylphenesys, CL/FO sounds good. (Merc Package)

Made the names up, in the style of Greek mythology I guess. Yeah, that's what I did.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 10:07 PM
    Pb_pal, Baltha and Hutton like this.
  20. ranagrande

ranagrande IncGamers Member

I also don't have much time, and historically I never do well with tournaments, but I'm joining this one!

First, a question: Once rewards are unlocked, can we use items that grant Auras?

Pb_pal likes this.