The Teenybopper Vote

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
The Teenybopper Vote

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20040309/pl_nm/politics_teens_dc&e=5

Four Democratic California lawmakers on Monday proposed giving teenagers as young as 14 the right to vote in a move that would make the often trailblazing state the first in the nation to do so.
[size=-1]

Under the proposal, youths under the current legal voting age of 18 would be able to cast ballots in state and local elections only, although their vote would not have full weight that an adult vote would.

For example, a vote cast by a 14 or 15-year-old would be counted as a quarter of a vote, and a vote by a 16 or 17-year-old would be counted as half a vote.
At first glance I think this is a decent idea, as it would imbed the importance of voting and democracy at an impressionable and opninionated time in a teenagers life.

But on the other hand, 14 year olds are immature and uneducated, which hurts the election process.

But then again, so is the average voter.

GAH! I can't come up with a definative position on this issue. THE HORROR!
[/size]

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
SACRAMENTO (AP) -- Orlando Bloom was elected governor of California in a landslide, replacing outgoing governor Arnold Schwartzenegger. Bloom's votes came mostly from the 14-18 female voting segment, which vastly outnumbered the seniors-looking-for-cheap-pills populace that powered elections in the pre-teen-voting era.

Anakha1

Banned
And we can hope that the ones that do vote will be educated and care enough to vote responsibly. Still, I'm leery about the amount of thought an adolescent of that age would put into their decision. It could upset the voting balance with half-assed votes (assuming that isn't already happening).

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, this is a dumb idea. First off, if you have yet to hold a job in your life, you don't really have any of your own money in the government so you really shouldn't have a say in what goes on. And most people under 18 aren't going to do enough research to vote. Not that most people over 18 are better, it's just where we draw the line. By the time one turns 18, they are thinking about what they are going to do with their life, be it higher education, armed forces, or going into the workforce. So it's probably time they start thinking about who they want in charge too. Before that, it really doesn't matter that much.

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, the problem of taxation without representation comes to mind

So either 1) let a minor who can flash a paystub vote, or 2) don't tax minors.

Discuss?

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
Painman said:

Discuss?
But as a working minor you are pretty much guarenteed the right to vote when you are 18, you will represent one day, just not at the moment.

Anakha1

Banned
Painman said:

Discuss?
3) Send all minors to the underground salt mines and start anew with fresh kiddies who aren't 99% composed of punks.

I'm hoping for this option since I can be useful with my Weapon of Mass Reproduction. :teeth:

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
For starters, I don't see anything wrong with the voting age being set at 18. Yes some people start working at 14 or 16 and don't vote for people in the government, but that doesn't mean they aren't represented. They still have representatives from their district in Washington. And besides, the amount of tax money (after returns) that these kids produce is pretty much nothing in comparison with the whole budget.

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
But as a working minor you are pretty much guarenteed the right to vote when you are 18, you will represent one day, just not at the moment.
True. Forced to choose between the two, I'd waive their taxes though.

Edit: Anakha, your mind is severely twisted. I like that.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I think it's an all right idea.

I also think there should be civics tests administered at age 16 and age 18 (and later for people who fail). If you don't know much about how things work in the city/county/state/nation where you live, you don't get to upgrade your vote to a 50% count or a full count. :)

Anakha1

Banned
Painman said:
Edit: Anakha, your mind is severely twisted. I like that.

One does what one is good at. :teeth:

Oh, and I'm ridiculously attractive and therefore my opinion matters more than the average person's. I should get, like, four votes or something.

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
One does what one is good at. :teeth:

Oh, and I'm ridiculously attractive and therefore my opinion matters more than the average person's. I should get, like, four votes or something.
I dunno about that, but here's some free beer. :drink:

Anakha1

Banned
Painman said:
I dunno about that, but here's some free beer. :drink:

Hey thanks! I...uh... hey wait a minute!! This is American "beer"!!! Are you trying to poison me?!?!?! *sends Painman to the underground salt mines*

Painman

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
Hey thanks! I...uh... hey wait a minute!! This is American "beer"!!! Are you trying to poison me?!?!?! *sends Painman to the underground salt mines*
What, you're going to categorically dismiss it just because it's American? It happens to be very tasty microbrewed Ale...

*lobs a hunk of halite*