Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Talk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Apr 29, 2005.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

The Talk

Liam's class just had a two hour class on sex ed. This one was a tad bit different. Intead of focusing on the act, they focused on the potential consequence.

Since Liam has a toddler sister, who I might add can be a wonderful teaching tool for birth control at times, he learned very little. He was the one raising his hand for every topic. Infant behavior, he is a pro. Baby behavior, he is a pro. Toddler behavior, he wishes he was not a pro. Of course, I don't make him take care of Samara, but he sees first hand how difficult it is to raise a child.

I think this is a wonderful addition to the sex ed classes they have. When I was in school, we just learned the biology of sex..not what happens when a baby comes along.

Do you think that classes such as this may help curtail teenage pregnancies?

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

No, I don't really think they'll help. Anyone ever go to a school where they had an ex-drug user come along and speak to the school about the messed up crap that happens when you do lots of cocain or methamphetamines? Basically it never stopped anyone from doing it.

Or when someone comes and tells you about their friend who died in a drunk driving accident. Girls will cry and people will swear off alcohol, and then go drinking the next day.

But maybe if we get to the kids in elementary school, we can get it into their heads before the teenage hormones take over.

3. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

While such information has its rightful place, when the blood runs out of the brain of a young man and into his lower appendage, all rational thought and discourse is usually lost. ;)

4. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

As long as "focus" doesn't mean "focus to the exclusion of all other sexual topics," then I think it's a good idea. People can't make an informed decision without knowing the risks. I don't think the purpose is to scare anyone away from having sex. It seems to me like something like this would have a goal of highlighting the need to have sex safely.

5. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

6. piff

piff IncGamers Member

What good is teaching the consequences if the students don't know the act? That's like saying if you commit copyright infringement, you will go to jail without knowing what the crime itself is, so you can't stop yourself form doing it. I use copyright infringement because nost, if not all of us have done it multiple times in our lives because the laws are so complex and general.

I think for sex ed to be successful, first the anatomy must be taught, then the act, then contraceptives, abstinance, and finally consequences. Unfortunately, I have never heard of this outline being followed.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

As a hormone driven teen myself, unless you actually have a moral/ethical reason for waiting all the education in the world won't stop you. Knowing a child at a young age can cripple your life is a good way to set up that reason, but most teenagers think "It won't happen to me, I'll do X to prevent it"

Saying "If you have sex you will get pregnant . . . and die." doesn't really work.

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yes, but sex is something everyone figures out. I mean, you know what happens, what it actually is that makes the babies. It's not like copyright infringement, because you don't need to go searching through thick books to figure out the basics.

9. Aeval

Aeval IncGamers Member

Ultimately it is a personal decision. Regardless of the person's age when they make the decision to have sex, i think the more informed they are about all the aspects, the better off they will be. Liam's class has a refreshing approach, but I don't think it will do anything to curb teenage promiscuity any more than the rest of the education out there.

For myself, i think I ended up taking about 5 or 6 sex ed classes by the time i was 11 years old (between moving schools, and having a couple of religious classes at my church, at the time, i was more informed than i ever wanted to be). By the time I decided to start having sex, I fully understood the the wieght of my decision - and all the good and bad that goes along with it.

I'm glad Liam's class focused on the practical matters of having and living with a baby, rather than just drill the same old line about STDS into their heads. The less negativity there is about this issue, the more people (of all ages) will be more wiling to to discuss it. mind you, i'm not advocating leaving out the bad stuff, that would be irresponsible... it's just good to balance it with everything else.

10. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I remember when they did that in my school. A junkie came and talked about how drugs messed up his life yaddi yadda and then explained how coffe and tea are also drugs at which point I stopped listening .

11. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

Teaching how to use a condom is what prevents teen pregnancies. A very large amount of kids know next to nothing about contraceptives.

12. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Sex Ed in my school was horrible, and so was the STD lesson.

The Sex Ed showed some lady actually having the kid, like, head on style. That was the sickest thing I've ever seen, and the lady was gross, it would've been a lot more enjoyable if she would've been hot.

The STD video was just as bad, it showed what happened to people's private parts once they were ifflicted. Horrible.

13. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

we had some doctor come talk to use about std's. lol "cauliflower shaped warts on your unmentionables".

14. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Ha! No man, it was bad it showed like juices spueing out of orphuses and what not... Ahggh!

15. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

o.o

okie ..

16. Newman

Newman IncGamers Member

Yeah bro, my thoughts exactly.

17. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Weird schools. O_O I'm not sure how much sex ed helped me. With all the crap you see/hear on TV/from your friends, it's hard not to know about protection. However, I think that method, zodiac, is very effective. Firsthand experience seems to always get the better of theories and lectures.

18. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

They started Sex Ed in the third grade at my school, and they sent us home with permission notes for our parents to sign. Nobody explained exactly what was involved with "Sexual Education" so I took it literally. I was a little nervous, but I was hopeful that perhaps I'd get paired up with Becky, the girl I sat next to.

I was pretty disapointed that all we got our diagrams of the sexual organs and a pretty basic explanation of physiology from the guidance counselor.

19. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

It would have been a perfect example for Liam to bring in Samara for the talk. The kids could see first hand how difficult it is to take care of a toddler. Very few of the students have siblings that young. Liam is wonderful with Samara. Of course when the hard work stops, he hightails it to his room.

I think this is a good way to teach the students. They have all had the biology of sex...but not what happens when a baby comes.

20. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

LOL - that got me laughing pretty hard.

so, zodiac, how old are each of your kids?