Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The SPF Barbarian Thread

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by My_Immortal6, Mar 27, 2004.

1. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

The SPF Barbarian Thread

Ok, so I want to have a Pat/Mat of every character. I have never made a Barbarian past level 18, as I always get bored of them. I need a build that will keep my interest. I'm not rich in terms of items, so I need a non-equipment dependant build. Please help me.

Also feel free to discuss anything Barb related here. I'm hopefully not the only one here who doesn't know how to make a Barb. :grrr:

2. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

http://www.unc.edu/~jpurvis/conc/main.html

For all your baba goodness. :)

3. My_Immortal6

I see how this is good, but concentrate is just so.....uninteresting. I have a small attention span dammit. :( I need flashy colours and stuff.

4. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

You picked the wrong class to play then. :uhhuh:

Really the only viable strats for a barb to Pat/Guard in 1.10 is Conc or Berserk.

5. My_Immortal6

Well if I want to pat/mat every class then I have to play one. Is Berserk good?

6. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I'm not much of a barb fan either. For my melee goodness, I always chose the paladin. Lately though, I've found some really nice two handed weapons that just scream Barb, so I feel obligated by my luck to make one.

I'm thinking of making a leap attack/whirlwind barb. The leap attack mostly because I read recently that high levels of that skill gives a very large knockback radius, and that's something I'd just like to see :) .

WW I'm kind of iffy on, but hell it's flashy enough.

7. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Beserk is good, but it lowers your defense for a short time. It is better one on one, such as when you're facing a boss, or a small number of monsters. Conc/beserk combination is better. Use conc as your main attack. Beserk gives a synergy to conc, and also gives conc magic damage that is good against PI's. Max out conc, beserk, and BO, as well as your mastery. Put some points in shout and BC as well.

Mace has the best weapons imo, as you may be able to find some or all of the IK set.

Find a good Bonesnap maul until you're level 76 to use the IK maul. I'll check my stash, and If I have another one, you can have it, if you want it.

Have fun. This build, if done right, can do great damage in hell. I have a guide I found from another site I am using. I can e-mail it to you as well.

8. My_Immortal6

That sounds ok. Just out of curiosity, what kind of damage and stun would a maxed Warcry do?

9. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Check this out. Max WC gives 150-160 damage and lasts for 4.8 seconds.

10. My_Immortal6

So does anyone use Warcry? What kind of builds do you guys use?

11. Toa3t

Toa3t IncGamers Member

If you're against single-swinging boredom with Concentration or Berserk, you do have three other options: Thrower, Frenzier, and Whirler. Throwers have the quasi-advantage of being ranged attackers (no IM, FE bug, other badness) and, in my opinion are sec-say to the fullest. Frenzy can do a lot of damage because it is synergized by Double Swing and two warcries (I forget which) as well as +% magic from Zerk, and you run pretty dang fast when the skill is maxed. Of course, you'll need 100 points just to fully synergize it, so sacrifices are needed if you want BO (you do) or weapon mastery (which is debatable in 1.10). Whirlers, I really don't know, ask somebody else, but they're still an option. No synergies, IIRC, so they can go hybrid with Zerk or Frenzy without feeling any burn for skill points.

-Kevin

12. BubbleTough

BubbleTough IncGamers Member

I would suggest mixing it up a doing a Thrower/WW hybrid. This is really the only Barb build I can stand, and it is quite versatile too. I think once you get WW though, you will be hooked. It spins really fast and is purdy :teeth:

13. bhaalistik

bhaalistik IncGamers Member

I have an IK Whirler and I still have fun with the build. Obviously the full IK set is on the expensive side, but the WW skill in general is fun.
    I think a Frenzier would be cool too....maybe a dual Cescent Moon Frenzier??

14. kramph

kramph IncGamers Member

If you max out the synergies as well, the damage increases to 690-736. The duration remains the same.

15. TraxisX

TraxisX IncGamers Member

Try a Whirler! Your build should look something like this:

20 WW
    20 Mastery of choice
    20 BO
    20 Shout

The rest of your points should go into Iron Skin or Natural Resists, depending on your needs.

16. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

For my money, the Frenzier is the most fun. Carnage on two legs. Keep in mind, this is a glass barbie. The lack of a shield is very obvious sometimes. But once you get a few points in you have the advantage of running away real fast. Also remember that Frenzy only hits one enemy. This maximizes damage on that target but you need to be deliberate about hitting multiple foes.

Find good LL and ML weapons and some Hit Recovery gidgets. Add in CB and/or OW and he'll put a big enemy down faster than you can believe. With high leeching you can let yourself get surrounded and just chew your way out.

The most dangerous enemy of a Frenzier is an archer or other ranged attacker. His skills kick in AFTER he hits someone. If he has to chase them down he's in trouble. Once he's got the first he'll have no trouble tracking down the rest but he'll take a lot of damage in the meantime. High defense is critical, so I pump shout early.

Anyway, that's just my 2c.

Cheers :drink:

17. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I have a lvl 86 barb who is a frenzy/berserk barb. Built (and patted) in 1.09, he does OK in 1.10, but is no great shakes, despite great equipment.

Even so, they are fun, and I rarely die (killing time is slow, but I am a methodical player)

Some general ideas which I have found useful:

Use taunt to get archers, fallen, any monster, really, to come to the barb, then have at it with frenzy. With this and DS maxed, you can do some serious damage. Also, taunt lowers monsters defense and attack rating; a poor man's Battle Cry, with the bonus of ranged attackers stopping their attack to chase you. If you go conc/berk, taunt isn't as useful on non-ranged attackers. Cast your cries before battles; I usually cast Battle Command (a 1-pt must!), Battle Orders, then Shout-I increase skill level, life/mana, and defense. Then I hotkey my attack cry (taunt, war cry or battle cry, as needed), than start slicing/bashing.

The Frenzy barb has issues in 1.10; as noted in other posts. Some ways to get around this are PDR equipment, using Taunt/Battle Cry/War Cry for crowd control, and, my least favorite, running away. I know retreat may be anathema to a barb purist, but I find it helps to reset the attack order, and gives me a moment to pick out a tough unique, and how to handle it.

If you do use Frenzy, it is best to use weapons of the same speed; I find odd-speed weapons don't work as well.

This is my current setup; some of the items are really good, but I don't think any of it is extremely rare. (except for the Shaeffer's)

Arreat's Face
    Shaftstop
    Baranar's Star
    Schaeffers Hammer
    Bul-Kathos WB
    Ravenfrost
    T-God's Vigor
    Gore Riders
    IK Maul (on switch)
    Laying of Hands
    +3 Warcries Ammy

Good Luck with the barb!

Steve

18. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

You are leaving out one of the funniest barbarian builds around, the "Leapfrog" or "Bunnybarian".

As you might already have realised it is all about Leap and Leap Attack.

Here is a very well written and entertaining guide for a truly novel build:

http://www.froglicker.net/d2/leap.html

Oh yeah, it assumes no prior wealth and even discusses actual game-play. A role-model guide.

19. cholerajoe

cholerajoe IncGamers Member

Barbs get, allmost, twice the chances to find magic items thtan any other class does. I know in version 1.09 MF Barbs ruled. Its great to see an Elite Uniqe pop out of a corpse you horked.

20. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I will say no to leap barb at the moment, as long as the leap bug still there. I think double throw barb will be fun, I'm willing to give away a 1337 uniq throw weapon (forgot the name).