Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

the spf and cowmules

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lone_wolf, Jun 22, 2005.

1. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

the spf and cowmules

yes we have had this discussion in the past but if we would apply that to every post there would not be much left to post in at all ;)

for those that dont know a cow mule is a second char that you use to open up the cow level portal with for a char that has killed elvis aka the cow king.

this can either be done in tcp/ip games by using 2 computers or you use the modified dll file to open up more then one instance of diablo 2 at once.

historical fact:

The modified dll file was used long before atma was created.And it was used by us crazy people that wanted to transfer items betwwen out chars aka muling.

as ** and ** came out some used that as it was easier but of course those programs had gigantic flaws. In the end atma came around and saved us crazy packrat people.

now in another thread here questions where asked about if there was possible to open the way to the cow level after you killed the king. My answer to this was of course yes.

but the question i ask you other members new and old(who has already debated this once or twise:p as i repeate myself over the years) is:

what is your stance on using cow mules with the modified dll file?

2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I am somewhat uncomfortable about it. I remember having a rather heated discussion here on the SPF a while back saying there was little difference between this method and doing a save and restore. I have no problem killing the cow king in a true MP situation, but this pseudo MP'ing leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. This doesn't mean I object to anyone else doing it, hell, if I can't find the mid level grail items I need I might even consider it, it's just, at the moment at least, it feels a little dirty.

3. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

I don't see a problem if you have 2 computers. I also don't mind if you are using Windows XP and run 2 instances of diablo II on 2 accounts. I object to modifying the .dll file though.

4. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

In the world of Mac OS X and (I think) Windows XP, multiple user accounts allow for setting up a TCP/IP game on one computer with one copy of the game without a modified .dll file. Where does this fit in?

*Sneaks out of the thread, with an evil grin on her face.*

Edit: I'm afraid of Sedna's psychic powers...

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Sedna's not pyschic, he posted 8 minutes before you! we all know you just copied his answer. :p
    I have no problem with others using it, but i have yet to have a good cow runner who has killed the hell cow king and needed to resort to such methods.

6. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

so essentially, money buys legitimacy?

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well running 2 versions of the game without having to modify the game files in any way makes it pretty legit. Using multi accounts on XP really is the same as using 2 PC's, but then thats more expensive of course.

8. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Lets say you got 50 bucks.
    There is a stall selling pirate DVDs you really want to watch at 50 bucks a piece. Beside it is an shop selling original goods at 100 bucks a piece. Would you buy the pirate DVDs?

Pirate DVD - Modding the .dll file
    Original DVD - The legit examples I listed

I know this is a crap example, but the best I could think of :eek:

9. lone_wolf

not all players use win XP or mac OS X though, and not all players can afford 2 computers. Most cow runners never get near elvis in the first place but the discussion is good anyway.

I know i used it during 1.09 when you could easily lose you ability to open the portal thanks to the waste amounts of moo moo farm tcp/ip games that where played back then.

i personaly see now wrong in using it but then im biased as it was the first way for me to be able to mule betwwen chars. And it was and still is a more legit way to mule then ** or ** before atma. So for me its perfectly legit.

10. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

XP + Diablo = to slow for my machine with just one instance running. So I run Win98 for diablo. (+dll if I have the need host)

I should upgrade my old or buy a new computer just so you can call it legit ?

Randall

11. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Oh I understand your point. You're trying to say that you're modifying the file, because you accidentally killed the cow king, or want to run the cow king over and over and over again, because blizzard created the game such that once the cow king is killed, no red portal anymore :)

12. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

sarcasm?

My current computer can hardly handle running win98+d2. I'd hate to see it with xp+d2

I'm sure a similar arguement was used to justify ATMA. It allows us to be on a lvl footing with bnetters. Likewise, using the modded file allows me parity with those who are lucky enough ( :lol: ) to be able to run xp.

edit:
    "think of the record companies" arguements aside. Let's suppose one person owns a car, lets call him carl, the other person can't afford one, let's call him alfie. Both these people live a long way out of town. Voting day comes around, and carl drives into town in his car and votes. Alfie can't get into town that day so he doesn't vote. Is that right?

my head hurts, i'm going to sleep

13. lone_wolf

dont know if you meant me sedna but if you did i shall try to answer.

first we have to clear something up though. the modified dll file has been around for years. Its nothing you have to do yourself:)
    with that cleared up lets move on.

If you kill elvis by mistake(havent done that since 1.09c) having 2 computers, swaping betwwen accounts(i only have one) on win XP or mac OS X and the modified dll file all let your by now useless cow runner still do their work.

most cow runners are so afraid of killing elvis aka cow king though that they never get near his little place.
    But mistakes can happen and the red portal can spawn inside the cow kings place if your unlucky.

As im about to level my own dedicated cow runner up i am fully aware that i as a player, will stay away from the cow king as much as i possible can. So that i wont ruin my chance to open the portal to the cow level.

But knowing that things can screw up against my will.
    Having the modified dll and playing on a win XP computer, gives me a security of knowing.
    That if i do end up killing the cow king, one day i dont have to level up a new cow runner.

and randall has a good point

14. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Me = Pwned.

On bnet, if you kill the cow king, you can't make portals. You gotta look(or read below) for people to make portals for you. You can do that in single player too... Also in bnet, if you want a cow mule, you can do it by creating the cow portal, then rejoining(fast enough though) with your cow runner. In single player, however you cannot do this since the game will be automatically cancelled when you do this...

15. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Can't you party with the cow openner? If say you have killed the king, but joined my game, I can still open the red portal for you. then I just have to un-party after you go through there.

Does this mothed still work?

16. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

I say forget the king use a lightning based attacker and don't worry about having to have a cow opener. The bovines especially the ones in nightmare and hell can drop everything the king can drop. Why worry about killing all the cows instead of all but 1 cow? its just not worth the trouble, use a lightning character and forget about it.

17. lone_wolf

that method should still work but im not 100% certain your free from losing the chance to open the portal if i kill the cow king in your game. Im pretty certain you cant lose the ability to open the portal but again i dont know.

damn i think flux wrote a explonation of how the ability to open the cow portal worked. Perhaps im remembering wrong:(

edit: Uzziah the only char that is pure lit is the single tree lit sorc and even then her merc could kill the king if the char use a merc in the moo moo farm. A LF zon does physical and lit damage and she have helpers that could kill the king. Both her merc and her valk is capable of killing him.

but yes most cow runners if playing a LF zon would probebly kill of the merc dont cast a valk and just use a decoy to herd the cows and stay away from the cow kings place.

things can get messy if you got a wrong placed red portal though.

18. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

You mean your merc kills the cow king within one second? or 3? I'm sure you'd have time to cast a tp or leave the game, or something... run away?

19. lone_wolf

sedna you ever had the red portal spawn more or less on top of the cow king?

its very messy;) and no the merc didnt kill cow king in 1 sec but by the time i had fought my way out of his little followers group in 1.09 my merc had killed cow king.

im sure my future merc for my pure lit zon could kill cow king very very fast if i planned to let him see the cow level at all

but i dont:p

im not so worried about me doing it. Rather im saying what can happen when you go through that red portal.

btw remember that the last time i was in the moo moo farm with a LF zon was in 1.09c cows where probebly much easier to kill back then(unless you played on players 64 that is)

20. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

lightning sorcs - check 100% lightning
    lightning fury - check 100% lightning (uses javalins)
    trapsin - check 100% lightning
    storm ranger - alright 98.99% lightning 1.01% physical (at best)
    Lord of the mages - can force 100% lightning
    Barb - nope bad cow runner
    druid - nope bad cow runner

So 5/7ths have a build that can run cows with a great lightning build. only 3 of which you have to be really careful with and thats the storm ranger, trapsin (death sentry) and lord of the mages.

A merc killing the king? When has that ever happened and who says you want your merc with you while your cow killing?