Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Sin War [Triune vs. Cathedral of Light]

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by DiabloTwoinDC, Aug 8, 2017.

1. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

250px-Lucion.png
    Inspired by a recent SPF mafia game, I started thinking about different ways that we could play D2 as a "team vs team" competition. I'm looking to see if there would be any interest in something along these lines? Suggestions/input welcome, as the parameters are certainly not set in stone.

The main premise would be to divide up all players into two teams or "cults": Triune vs. Cathedral of Light. My objectives for this tournament are to include/promote more (trading, co-op, PvP) on the SPF. I've tried to come up with a new format to accomplish this:
    • Un-twinked - in order to limit availability of powerful items. Members of the same cult can trade/share items.
    • Players 8 at all times - to make players struggle with Prime Evils, and on Hell difficulty. Co-Op play allowed.
    • PvP - sequence after each play period (at levels 30/50/70). Team-based point system for each PvP victory.
    • Character level limits - Each act must be completed at/below certain clvl. Skipping/re-running areas for items/exp is allowed (no LK or superchest running)
      Code:
      Normal/NM/Hell:
      A1 - clvl 15/39/--
      A2 - clvl 20/42/60
      A3 - clvl 25/45/--
      A4 - clvl 30/50/65
      A5 - clvl 35/55/70
    • Mafia roles - Each player will have a special hidden ability(s) similar to Mafia roles:
      Code:
      The Veiled Prophet - (recruiter) can convert players from opposing cult
      Procurator General - (jailer) can imprison and remove powers of opposing player
      Master Inquisitor - (role cop/tracker) can investigate/track players from opposing cult

Primus (Grand Priest)  - (recruiter) can convert players from opposing cult
      High Priest of Mefis - disruptive power against opposing player
      High Priest of Dialon - disruptive power against opposing player
      High Priest of Bala - disruptive power against opposing player

Prizes:
    • Each player from winning cult gets Gul rune.
    • Grand champion of finale tournament gets Ohm rune.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. DiabloTwoinDC

I play 1.13, but could install 1.14 if that's what everyone is playing. Shouldn't matter too much if we play untwinked.

I never played PvP before, so I'll leave that up to everyone else.

Yea, I was thinking of restricting to single pass? But, there's also the concern that people might not be able to even beat the game with all yellow items .. Maybe a 5 hour MFO at the end of each difficulty?

3. DiabloTwoinDC

Yea, I'm hoping gear wouldn't get too overpowered. That way PvP remains somewhat balanced.

Also, not sure how monster/map spawning works? But, everyone should be nearly same level at all times? (barring variance from shrines, deaths etc) if everyone does full p8 clears?

How would MP affect XP gain? I was thinking it would be more of a trade off: easier play through, but fewer drops for the team.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I would suggest the PvP aspect is no "loses all the gear" maybe more points based. I'm asuming the PvP is a bit of added fun, but if it loses gear everyone will go for conservative characters (blizz sorcs) and start complaining about the host ping.

You may want to look at the old Good Mannered rules posted by Sint. Check the PvP thread in the stickies.

IMO without access to decent gear this will be less balanced rather than more. Barbs and Druids will get slaughtered without teleport, asuming you allow sorcs to tele.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  5. DiabloTwoinDC

I was hoping to get some feedback from some PvPers! As I don't have a clue what would be good/balanced. Perhaps a class vs same class match up would be more balanced? But, whatever rules/setup works fairly, I'm all for it!

And, maybe I explained the "loses items" poorly? What I had in mind was: Any player that loses a PvP battle gets "converted" to the opposing cult. They would retain ownership of items, but now would be trading/sharing with other cult. Thus, characters might be targeted in PvP to gain access to their loot! ;)

And, keep in mind character levels.. If we p8 all the waythrough normal, everyone would be 45-50 ish? Then we would hold PvP session, capturing players. Another session after NM. I don't even know what level that would be? ~75 maybe? Then, after everyone beats hell difficulty, there is some sort of PvP tournament to determine the winning cult.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  6. DiabloTwoinDC

Hmm... after thinking this over a bit more, it seems kinda pointless to try and "capture" access to items this way..

What kind of elite items are we gonna find on normal, that would be worth going after? :confused:

Maybe a point system like @maxicek said would be best? We could also just restrict teams to having one character of each class? That way, Sorc vs Sorc etc etc.. would that make PvP more balanced?

I like the idea of capturing players though. But, it would have to be limited. Otherwise, one cult might end up with everyone on one team! :p Is a Sorc with tele pretty much guaranteed win vs non Sorc? I don't expect we will be making too many Enigma with single pass..

Example game:
    Code:
    [14 players] **only 1 sorc per team - elected by teammates to be Lucion/Inarius.

1. Gameplay phase - everybody single pass/full clear through normal. (Co-op allowed)
    2. MF phase - Short period to re-run bosses/areas for items.
    3. Trading phase - try to gear up teammates for PvP.
    4. Capture phase - Lucion/Inarius target 2 opponents for PvP. (If victorious, player switches cults, bringing/keeping gear and stashes)
    5. PvP phase - the remaining players battle 2 opponents in PvP, gaining 1 point for each victory)

**This process would be repeated on each difficulty

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. maxicek

Probsbly the best way to manage the PvP is Team Duelling. Then the two teams would have to select complementary builds and I think it will help build diversity.

Biggest problem will be co-ordination accross time zones etc.

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  8. DiabloTwoinDC

I like the idea of team dueling. Didn't know if it had been done before. Maybe everyone declare availability/time zone when signing up, to see if it's even possible to coordinate?

Edit: How would matchups work for team duels? One team picks their 2-3 players, and then second team picks who challenges? Wouldn't the challenging team have the advantage? Picking matchups in their favor?

I guess you could have a 2-leg fixture, where each team takes a turn as challenger?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. DiabloTwoinDC

Updated initial post: Found a few runes from LK the last few days. I'm putting them up there as prizes to see if that will stir up some interest.

10. maxicek

I would assume the teams would pick blind, without knowing the selection of the other team.

A Typical HLD Team would be a Bowazon protected by a Barb and a Hammerdin.

11. DiabloTwoinDC

Yea, random selection. But, if capturing players was somehow included. Then, you might try and target the better PvPers.

Edit: Reading through PvP thread.. if no merc allowed in PvP, should we also say no merc for game play? Might encourage more co-op.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  12. DiabloTwoinDC

Updated initial post with a new Character level format. Each act must be completed at/below a specified level. The intention is to keep everyone at equal levels to allow PvP. And, to keep everyone "under leveled" to promote co-op play.
    Code:
    Normal/NM/Hell:
    A1 - 15/39/--
    A2 - 20/42/60
    A3 - 25/45/--
    A4 - 30/50/65
    A5 - 35/55/70
    I also added a bit of flavor with some Mafia-esque roles that will have different effects on the team vs team competition. Similar to Mafia games, only members of your team will know the identities of the players with these power roles. Part of the fun is trying to guess/uncover which players have which abilities.
    Code:
    The Veiled Prophet - (recruiter) can convert players from opposing cult
    Procurator General - (jailer) can imprison and remove powers of opposing player
    Master Inquisitor - (role cop/tracker) can investigate/track players from opposing cult

Primus (Grand Priest)  - (recruiter) can convert players from opposing cult
    High Priest of Mefis - disruptive power against opposing player
    High Priest of Dialon - disruptive power against opposing player
    High Priest of Bala - disruptive power against opposing player
    Let me know what you guys think. :)