Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Seven Guardians (HC Septemvirate)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by winmar, Mar 7, 2015.

1. winmar

winmar IncGamers Member

Hey everyone. I havn't been very active on the forum, but I'm still playing the game. Thought I should share my progress since my last restart. I just finished my Septemvirate in Hardcore.

The Seven Guardians

Arnold - Whirlwind Barbarian (lvl 82)
    Druidsa II -Wind Druid (lvl 81)
    Imogen - CL/FO Sorceress (lvl 83)
    Huyen - Lightning Trapper Assassin (lvl 83)
    Hedenius III - Fishymancer ( lvl 87)
    Pyrrhon - Tesladin (lvl 85)
    Yoni - Lightning Javazon (lvl **)

Aspiring Guardians
    Haiya - Phoenix Striker (lvl 80, currently at Hell Ancient's Way)
    Sorre - Blizzsorc (lvl 85, currently running Mephisto in Hell)
    Amok - Frenzy Barbarian (lvl 72, currently in Act 2 Hell)
    Pritchard - Poisonmancer (lvl 25, currently in Act 3 Normal)
    Poke - Fendazon (lvl 59, currently in Act 3 Nightmare)

Fallen Heroes
    Druidsa - Wind Druid (lvl 78, died at Frozen River)
    Hedenius - Fishymancer (lvl 84, died in World Stone Keep)
    Hedenius II - Fishymancer (lvl 81, died at Frozen River)

Notable Finds
    Stormshield, Highlord's Wrath, Andariel's Visage, 2x Skullder's Ire, Eschuta's Temper, 2x Harlequin's Crest, 2x The Oculus, The Gladiator's Bane, Draculs's Grasp, 2x Lightsaber, Crescent Moon, Duress, Executioner's Justice, 4x Facets. 5x Um, 1x Ist.

Experience
    I started with a Fishymancer and a Trapper. Both of them are very strong and safe without any special gear. I collected some basic gear and leveled a Meteor/Blizzard Sorceress and parked her in Act 3 NM to run NM Meph and Andy. When I had the gear I needed I got her to Act 3 Hell where I respeced her as a pure Blizzard Sorc and started to farm Hell Meph. Fourth character was a Fishyzon, after I made her a Guardian I respeced her to a pure Lightning Javazon and started to run Hell Pindle.

Now I had some gear to start creating melee Guardians. I had found every piece except the armor of the IK set, so I created a Whirlwind Barbarian. Since I had the runes for Crescent Moon and Duress, I decided to create a Tesladin. The Wind Druid came next, I don't really play Druids but I plan on trying to run The Pits with him. Max Block and Cyclone Armor makes him durable, and Tornadoes rip through enemies. Sure, it's annoying to aim them, but you can get a bit risky with a Wind Druid due to a large life pool, block and CA and get close to the action to ensure you hit with every Tornado.

CL/FO Sorceress was the last character to reach Guardian. I didn't want to risk my Blizzsorc since I've got the perfect map for Meph runs (1 teleport to DoH 3). So I leveled a new Sorceress, I chose CL/FO because I wanted a Countess runner. I'm usually terrible with Sorceresses due to Teleport, I can't take it slow so I just teleport and die stupidly in Hell. But this time it went well.

So now I have some great runners with good gear for Hell Meph, WSK + Baal, The Pits and Countess. The MF runners have 500+ MF and play on P3.

I am a bit surprised that I lost two fishymancers, but no sorceress. Every fallen hero died to a combination of Gloams + Harpies. Better crowd control and a more careful approach would've prevented those deaths. Crowd control is key in HC and characters like the Fishymancer has amazing CC with curses and minions, so dying twice with a Fishymancer is a bit sloppy. This is also why the Assassin (especially Trapper) is such a strong HC character thanks to Cloak of Shadows and Mind Blast. I even consider the Trapper to be safer than the Fishymancer.

I went Max Block with Whitstan's Guard (PDiamond) on all my casters except Fishymancer and Blizzsorc. I knew I would only run Meph with my Blizzsorc so I use a Rhyme for the MF.

I really think block is the better option. You don't need to invest heavily in Dexterity to reach 75% block with Whitstan's Guard, and most casters get very little value for their points in Vitality anyway. But it does force you to use that shield, and that means you lose out on double Spirit (I never use this in HC anyway) or Lidless Wall. The +1 Skills and FCR on Lidless can be very useful for more damage and to hit those break points.

I have found quite a bit of MF gear, so now I'm mostly running areas and bosses to find more gear. I hope to build some more interesting characters using niche gear. I have plans to create a Passion Zeal Assassin once I've completed Hell with my Phoenix Striker.

The most boring characters was easily the Whirlwind Barbarian and Wind Druid. I love playing my Phoenix Striker, such a cool character and challenging to play. But of the Guardians I think my Tesladin and CL/FO Sorc were the most fun.

Feel free to suggest and discuss unusual builds in this thread.

felixbavaria and coju like this.
  2. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Gratz on all the Guardians!

Fishy's are so boring that at some point you're trying to push things to go faster and the game reminds you you're not immortal. Happened to my Fishy as well. Sorcs always keep you on your toes, no matter how stacked they are still very fragile, that's why I love them.

I always recommend Kicksins, because they're awesome. Very fragile without careful gameplay (which is almost completely impossible) or high-end gear.
    Aggressin, Strafer, Fanazealot are also very enjoyable builds to get through the game (You're looking for melee/physical damage builds, correct?).

Not very unusual, tho :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  3. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

Wow, very cool! Very entertaining read as well. Job well done.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Nice to see you around Winmar. Congrats on the guardians!