Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Seven Deadly 'Sins - A PvP Septet

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Jul 1, 2010.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

The Seven Deadly 'Sins - A PvP Septet

In PvP Week 5, just after 1.13c came out, I almost played a different assassin every day, and there was a discussion about how many I actually had. To be honest, I never really intended to have so many. Some were made before I had Enigma, and some in 1.12 to take advantage of Enigma. When 1.13 allowed me to re-spec my old, pre-Enigma, characters, I suddenly had a lot of high level assassins.

At the time I had five ready to play and a few more yet to re-spec or finish. Zhao suggested I should call them "The Seven Deadly Sins." I'm not sure if my playing skills necessarily qualify them as deadly, but I am certainly happy with the builds. Still a few tweaks required here and there, maybe a few essences needed to be farmed. I'm not going to cram this tread with loads of readouts or stat numbers as these can be worked out from the original Mat threads. So here they are, for Zhao:

The Seven Deadly 'Sins

Trinity
    Build: Speederländer
    Level: 92
    Original Mat Thread
    For those that don't know, A Speederlander assassin is basically a Ghost who also has the ability to kick. That means more strength required for Shadow Dancers, meaning less life and resists than your usual Ghost, but stronger shadow skills. FHR is easier to come by too. I have to say that I haven't really kicked much with this build, but sometimes it is fun to Dragon Flight fast teleporting sorceresses.

Trinity, named after the character from The Matrix Film, is un-changed since her original Mat thread, although I will probably use her re-spec to take advantage of the +2/25 Shadow Dancers I found recently. The fact that this will atop Akara bugging me every time I visit her for mana pots is a bonus. She has been quite a successful PvP character and hunting sorceresses, druids and necromancers with her is always a lot of fun. Barbarians are always trouble for her though, I think it takes a good player to pull off a consistent amount of victories in a Barb vs Ghost whirlwind battle. Which is where a hybrid comes in handy...

Pris
    Build: WW Trap Hybrid
    Level: 92, may go further.
    Original Mat Thread
    Pris was the most successful of my pre-Enigma duellers, but camping in a trap field did get a bit dull on occasions. Other players tended to avoid her in a FFA and leave her to a 1v1 for the last player standing duel. Pris found me a 1.12 Zod rune whilst levelling, so I was reluctant to delete her even after I made Pris_II to take advantage of Enigma. Fortunately I didn't, as 1.13 allowed me to re-spec her and start playing her again. WW/Trap hybrids remain one of my favourite PvP builds, but in FFAs against high powered characters I am I prefer pure trappers. She is still a good character in 1vs1 duels though. In terms of skills and equipment I am using pretty much the same equipment as written in the mat thread for Pris_II.

The name comes from the Replicant in the 1982 film Blade Runner, played by Daryl Hannah, in case anyone didn't already know - and if you haven't seen the film, go and watch it.

Zhora
    Build: Claw/Claw Trapper
    Level: 90 currently, plan to go to 95+
    Original Mat Thread
    Zhora is a 102FCR, 86FHR Claw/Claw trapper, packing about 11K trap damage. The 102 FCR breakpoint is achieved by using a 1.07 Valkyrie Wing and using almost every gear slot except the claws for FCR. The cannot be frozen is taken care of by a Cham in the Helmet, for which I am very grateful to Pyro for. She currently has maxxed Lightning Sentry and synergies, two points in Mind Blast and anything spare in Fireblast. Fireblast can be used as an additional attack for telebombing opponents with 5 LS firing at the same time. I have pulled it off a couple of times and it great fun when it happens. I'm actually thinking of dropping the Fireblast and a few synergy points and changing her to max Mind Blast, if I can level her to 95+. More on that in the section on Katinka.

Zhora is also named after a character in Blade Runner, she was the exotic dancer with the snake that gets "retired" by being shot in the back by Deckard (not Cain).

Ultraviolet
    Build: Weapon/Shield Trapper
    Level: 90 currently, plan to go to 92.
    Original Mat Thread
    When I read Tienje's Trapper Guide I couldn't decide it to go for a claw/claw build or a weapon/shield build. And which would be better for SP PvP? Well I'm still not sure which is best. This build uses a Spirit Phase Blade for the FCR, FHR and the weapon speed, making it possible to use Fade instead of the more traditional HoTO/Burst of Speed weapon/shield build. A W/S build typically has less damage and less life, but max block and 50%DR makes a big difference against physical opponents, and those are the opponents that you are likely to get closest to. Of course it is always possible to keep the gear for a claw/claw setup in the stash. I might do that for a tournament, but for general SP PvP duelling it isn't worth the trouble.

She hits 86FHR and 102FCR. Her LS and synergies are maxxed with the rest in Mind Blast. I am thinking of dropping her MB back to two points and putting the rest into Fireblast. A max block and DR character should be fun for telebombing.

Ultraviolet takes her name from the character played by Milla Jovovich in the (not very good) film of the same name.*
    You may be wondering why five out of seven assassins are named after sci-fi characters. It all started with the black clothes and kicks of Trinity in The Matrix themes, but it is kind of a recurring character type in science fiction. One of the archetypal female assassins, aka Razor Girls is Molly Millions from the book Neuromancer by William Gibson. Molly has razor sharp surgically implanted claws under her fingernails. Sounds like a WW assassin to me. There is also a a nice article on Razor Girls here. I was thinking of using this name for Aeon_Flux, but I thought Molly_Millions may sound a bit odd for those unfamiliar with the book.

Katinka
    Build: Claw/Claw Mind Blast Trapper
    Level: 90
    Original Mat Thread
    Katinka was my original PvP trapper. When 1.13 came out I re-specced her to a more traditional C/C trapper, with 65FCR and 48FHR. After playing a Ghost, and reading some posts in the Assassin forum, I decided to try going for a max Mind Blast Build. What happens is that 20 points in Mind Blast makes the Shadow Master use it more often. And as you teleport she is somehow constrained so that almost all she does is Mind Blast. Very accurately and often off screen. Having tried it, it works very nicely. It doesn't free you from the task of having to Mind Blast yourself though. In fact this is one of the dangers. You can get so used to the Shadow mind blasting that you get out of practice doing it yourself. And when she takes a guided arrow for you and you forget to MB, this can leave you very vulnerable. It's a strong build though and I think she gave my opponents lots of trouble when I played her.

I feel that one W/S and one C/C trapper is enough though. If I manage to level Zhora to 95, I will re-spec her as max MB and drop Katinka from my starting line up. If/when I do, I have another PvP capable assassin in progress who can take her place.

The name comes from a character in the book The Champion of Garathorm by Michael Moorcock. Nothing really assassin related though.

Karina
    Build: Kicker
    Original Mat Thread
    Karina is a kicker, based on the various post by wizAdept in the assassin forum. She did have an outing on The Moor back in 1.12, but wasn't that successful. I am yet to play her since she has been re-specced for Enigma. She was pretty much ready at the last PvP week, but I can't seem to stop fiddling with her gear. She must have been through about five different iterations.

Karina is the only one of these builds who uses Burst of Speed, I will be using Widowmaker for Guided Arrow on switch, so BoS is pretty much compulsory. I have settled on a Gemmed Phase Blade and Stormshield setup for general duelling with a Malice + Jade Talon setup for caster only battles. Venom can be pre-buffed, it shouldn't be a major hassle as I will be using a bow so will have to go back to the stash to cast BO anyway. She has max Mind Blast and Venom and I have gone for a four kick Dragon Talon sequence. I can always drop back to three with a Token of Absolution if I think four is too many. I have enough points in Weapon block to get 60% blocking in my C/C setup.

It will be interesting to see how I find her. She is definitely a second tier dueller, so I know it's going to be challenging. But sometimes part of the fun is pulling off a single kill against a cookie cutter opponent, rather than turning up with a tricked out bonemancer and pwning everyone.

I'm not going to tell you exactly where the name comes from. Let's just say she is named after an English 'actress'.

Aeon_Flux
    Build: Ghost
    Original Mat Thread
    Aeon is actually my original Trinity, re-specced and re-named. Having re-built Trinity in 1.12 and archived the original, I had to re-name her. I really wanted to have some kind of variation on the Trinity theme, but couldn't come up with anything I was happy with. So I went for a different name instead, albeit sci-fi related still. Now, I know you are thinking about the decidedly average film with Charlize Theron in it. Don't. Not that I have anything against Ms. Theron, she looks great in it. Aeon_Flux was based on an anime series, I think screened by MTV. Aeon is an assassin of the future. Clad in skimpy black latex outfits, she kills and gets killed. Often. But when she dies, she always dies with style. So a perfect name for one of my PvP Assassins.

In normal operation Aeon is a 65FCR, 48FHR standard Ghost. The key difference from Trinity are the lack of kicks. That left me with enough spare points for Blade Shield and Dragon Claw, which is apparently useful against Necros. We had some discussions about 102FCR Ghosts in one of the PvP Week 5 games, so Aeon also has a 102FCR setup. This means she needs a bit of Venom pre-buffing, but shouldn't really loose out overall, although I am yet to try her in action. Like Zhora above, this means a 1.07 Valkyrie Wing with a Cham in it for CBF and the rest of the equipment geared for FCR. I only really plan to use this setup against 200FCR sorceresses though. I wonder who has one of them....

On the Bench:
    Pris_II was my re-build of Pris for Enigma, made redundant by re-specs. I was thinking of re-speccing her as a trapper with a weak WW backup attack, but I'm not sure there is any point, I already have more PvP characters than I can get time to play. So at the moment she sits on the bench. As I said earlier, I have another PvP capable assassin in progress. I'm saying PvP capable because I'm not sure how effective she will be. If I tell you she kicks and is called Blaze, I'm sure you can work out the build.

The Credits
    I think I have already thanked people in the individual threads, but it never hurts to do it again:
    Thanks to anyone who has ever played in a PvP game with me, especially those keeping the current SPF duelling scene alive - Nagi, frozzzen and Pyro. Colony, Corrupted, Bassano, Zhao and Denton too, although we don't seem to see as much of you these days as we would like to.
    Anyone who has given me advice on these builds in a thread or in game, especially Denton, Tienje and wizAdept and all of the guide writers.
    Finally, anyone who has traded with me to equip these characters. Special thanks to Jae for numerous trades, in particular my Beta CtA, FCR Amulet and Fool's Claw, Corrupted for the Zod vs Enigma trade that turned into a giveaway, Undying for the 1.07 Valk and of course Pyro for the Cham giveaway.

Thanks for reading. I'm planning on running PvP Week 6 in August, so I hope you can meet them in person on The Blood Moor.

2. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Re: The Seven Deadly 'Sins - A PvP Septet

Congratulations on succumbing to all seven deadly 'sins at once. :propeller::tongue:

Thank you for taking my allocation of Assassins. I will eventually make my first SP Assassin. Eventually.

I'm looking forwards to that next PvP week.

3. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Congrats! Looking forward to getting flattened by all of them. :crazyeyes:

What's in your kick/bow's Phase Blade/Widowmaker?

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

A nice collection of Assassins you have there. :) It was fun going through some of them old Mat threads of yours. By the way, what's better on the Moor for you, Pris or Aeon_Flux?

Max, you would have been very, very useful to me ~3 weeks ago. :greedy: It was 12am, I had 2/3rds of the book left, my Sci-Fi Eng Lit test was in ~13 hours, and there are zero chapter summaries online. :( I think my brain blew a fuse trying to understand what the heck was going on in Neuromancer.

5. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Very nice chars there. Don't forget post videos of battles in the moor.

6. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

Masterfully done hero!

(Keeps an eye out for Liquid)