Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Semi-Holy Trinity Ranger

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by DoomBoy, Sep 6, 2010.

1. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

The Semi-Holy Trinity Ranger

I have built this ranger over the past couple of months and he has been great fun, so I thought I would share the joys of a Semi-Holy Trinity Ranger with you guys. First of all, many thanks goes to Rane's
    guide
    on rangers, who initially gave me a structured look into the world of bow wielding paladins.

This type of character is great for people seeking a change from the monotonous one click and hold type of attack. With popular builds like hammerdins and zealers, all you really do is spam the attacks until the enemy is dead (or wait until the merc finishes them off). With the Semi-HTR, you don't just stand there and spam arrows, you can also do a bunch of other things such as hit and run tactics, minion stack, etc etc. It's all up to your imagination.

Ok, now on to the actual guide! The Semi-Holy Trinity Ranger is named after all the elemental auras (or lack of!) that he has at his disposal. These auras can all be on at the same time or partially, depending on the situation...and the person's preference, of course. :thumbup:

The semi-Holy Trinity name suggests that we don't necessarily use all the elemental attacks at the same time, which leads to obvious item changes and such. The gear that a semi-HTR has depends greatly on a person's wealth and resources, and how much they are willing to invest.

With the introduction of the Token of Absolution (along with the respecs), we can basically switch up skills whenever we like, so it's no biggie to explore what works best for each person (in normal, nightmare, or hell).

A semi-HTR is a paladin that has a main attack pulse, along with some maxed resists. An example would be this:

Maxed holy fire
    Maxed resist fire
    Maxed resist cold
    Maxed Salvation
    rest into blessed aim

With a Ice Bow as main weapon and Holy Fire being the active skill, he will have two active auras, giving him both fire and ice damage.

You can switch it around too, where a HoJ bow becomes the main weapon and Holy Shock is the active skill. If that is the case, then these are the skills you will need:

Maxed fire resist
    Maxed lightning resist
    Max Salvation
    Max Holy shock
    rest into blessed aim

For a semi-HTR, you are basically mixing and matching the skills and gear that you plan to wear.

FYI-
    Most "pure" Trinity Rangers tend to go here:
    -Max Fire resist
    -Max Lightning resist
    -Max Cold resist
    -Max Salvation
    -Rest into another aura of choice, mostly Conviction or Sanctuary for undead

So what items will they have to wear? You guessed it!
    -Dragon Armor
    -Dream helm
    -Ice Bow

Here is what my semi-HTR has under his skills:
    -Max fire resist
    -Max cold resist
    -Max Salvation
    -Max fana
    -Rest into holy shock

Main gear set up:
    -Vamp gaze
    -Enigma
    -dual ravenfrosts
    -Mara's
    -Gore boots
    -Laying of hands gloves
    and most important of all, a bunch of bows! They include
    HoJ, Ice, Brand, and Harmony

Stats:
    Str - Enough for gear
    Dex - I like to keep it anywhere from 250-280ish. More dex = more damage
    Vit - Everything else

Other nifty bows you might want to consider include:

Widow Maker - for guided arrows
    Windforce - great damage
    Kuko Shakaku - piercing attack and exploding arrows
    Witchwild String - magic arrows, resists, and amp
    Faith bow - Fana aura, fire damage, resists, and summons skeletons

It is NOT MANDATORY that you follow my guide exactly. Just do what works best for you! Some people may really like my skills set up, others may want to invest in something totally different, like blessed aim...but the main skills I DO want to emphasize are the ones related to elemental attacks! This is called the semi-HTR guide after all.

:whistling:

Things to think about:
    Deadly strike,
    Poison damage, prevent monster healing
    crushing blow and importance,
    fast attack speed versus bigger damage (bows vs. crossbows)
    type of merc you'll get (Holy Freeze, Blessed Aim, Might, Fana bow, Pride polearm)
    offensive vs. defensive play style

---

misc equipment for thought:

Gores/Treks/Waterwalk/War Trav boots
    Magefist gloves
    Angelic set
    Seraph's Hymn/Mara's/Highlord's

P.S. Blessed aim gives a passive bonus to AR, if you didn't know.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Re: The Semi-Holy Trinity Ranger

Ranger's are nice. I have never tried Brand or Ice bows, so my choice was good old Kuko (180% upped, 83% pierce with Razortail).

Last ladder I used this kind of setup:

upped Kuko (188 dex req)
    Dream helm
    Highlord's amu
    eNigma
    Lava Gout Razortail Infernostride
    2x Raven

(max holy freeze, max resist lightning, max resist cold, max salvation etc...)
    Damage (with elemental charms, torch, anni) was
    ~1800 cold damage, 1-3000 lightning damage, ~500 fire damage (splash)
    while merc was using Infy.

3. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

Brand has a cool ctc bone spear--that's the main reason why I got it. Ice has a ctc nova too. I guess I'm into the ctc stuff, just because they make attacks more interesting!

One thing I like about elemental rangers is how they can use a cracked bow and still deal good damage in normal and nightmare.

4. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Firstly, ill be honest, ive never tried a bow on a Pala, so Im not embarassed to say I dont know what im talking about, but surely for ALL of those above builds youd want to use conviction as a main aura?

It seems the main source of damage is elemental, and with a HoJ bow (didnt know that was possible) + Dragon armour + Dream helm youll be dealing a lot of ele damage. With conviction as active aura you wont need to worry about attack rating and immunes either.

Sounds like a very fun build tho. :)

5. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

i know you're mainly focused on elemental damage, but in the other bows section you dont even mention the king of aura-granting bows, faith?

6. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

Someone needs to do a decent comparison of what the relative damage of each of these set-ups would be. :)

7. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

You should check that build out then!

Skipped my mind, it was pretty late at night. Added!

@ SimmoK - are you volunteering to contribute? I never really bothered with numbers that much but I'm guessing highest damage would be:

lightning > fire > water

8. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

I dont have a hero editor or the time to try it out. Im only active on EuScL at the moment.

Im always open to new builds tho (especially Paladin) so id love to have a go at one of these. Would be nice if someone else had a go at a comparison first tho!

I had another thought, it would easily be possible to use a holy freeze merc with infinity (as I guess this is just a 'fun' PvM char anyway), and then using a HoJ bow + Dragon armour with Dream helm (lvl 30 Holy Fire + lvl 15 Holy Shock). Fanactism as main aura to add a decent amount of Physical dam too (as well as IAS)?

Soooo many possibilities with this build, haha. :D

9. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

I suspect a non-elemental variant would do more damage though. using brand bow for amp, fanat as main aura, and a sluggin' botd warpike merc for the heavy damage. Similar to my mercmancer build where the merc does more damage than a frenzy barb :lol:

10. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

With the respec in hell and token, you can remake paladins as much as you can afford :)

If I collect enough tokens, I might compare.

Then it would defeat the purpose of calling them Semi-HTRs :whistling: I guess you can do the lightning route and pack on the physical damage on there for max damage...

11. SimmoK

SimmoK IncGamers Member

I know, but it still takes time buying/selling all the items it would require..!

Hero editor would make it much much faster.

12. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Those damages are easy to get, just look items and add some aura damages.
    Or use that heroE, but those listed damages tells almost nothing how builds works while playing and there are no good area in game where you can compare those builds.

What then when you have 3-20 different rangers, how you compare those? (short answer:you can't *)

*)
    Those builds are impossible to compare.
    How to compare splash effect versus basic attack.
    Some have almost max pierce some have none.
    Those builds have different fpa, some have crushing blow, some critical etc..
    Some have itd or high ar, some give curses, moster cannot heal ...
    Some are safer builds, so those need less life.
    Some uses enigma to get best aiming position fast, some use forty.
    Charms have huge effect for those builds too and they use different charms.

I have only made 5-10 different rangers, those are fun to play. Soloing hell games are easy (quite often too easy), usually 2-4 players games work better. Full games works too, but usually only in certain areas.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  13. Inkognito

Inkognito IncGamers Member

Brand's Amplify is only cast "When Struck". That's not so much reliable. Rather take my chances with atma's scarab amulet. Brand's is the runeword that can ALMOST replace Kuko Shakaku though. It's exploding arrows have nice hidden splash damage so fire charms and other fire sources make it a nice crowd controlling bow. Its a mighty slow bow though and bone spear (although it looks cool) is kinda weak when not synergized. I've used Brand on my Ranger and I was expecting it to blow my Kuko out of the water. It didn't. It has a nice chance to hit and knockback. Otherwise, I would save the runes and put on Kuko.

In my opinion brand is a necro-only runeword. Bow-Necro is real fun with some synergies maxed to get something out of its bone spear on striking. Not overpowering, but fun. Not recommended on a Ranger.

14. Inkognito

@DoomBoy

I was super inspired by Rane's Guide also. Because of that guide, I've made a ranger every season for...well....awhile!

I would, however, point out that the bows (runeword bows: Ice, Brand, Faith, Hand of Justice) you mention ALL have Ignore Target's Defense. That mod with the 250+ dex you suggest should be plenty enough not to have to invest points into blessed aim. That saves points for more elemental damage.

15. DoomBoy

DoomBoy IncGamers Member

Yep!

16. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Oh its reliable alright, as long as health bulb doesnt empty out lol.With runmode its very easy to get hit on purpose and the curse has huge area and duration unlike the tiny effect of atma's. In fact atmas isnt damage optimal at all compared to highlord.. Also dont underestimate the merc, thats the whole point of this. With botd, fanat/conc and amp damage they deal ridiculous damage taking down monsters in a few jabs in p8.

17. Inkognito

No blocking, and low health (you could go full vitality but still need stats for bows). I guess it just goes against the play style of a ranger. Stay at "range" of the mobs and fire arrows.

I was merely mentioning atmas because it actually IS optimal if its maxing your merc's damage output your after. If your dead, your merc's damage output = zero
    With it, you can wear a MUCH MUCH better bow like lets say...witchwild string? That gives you a higher chance of casting amp damage, witchwild is a MUCH faster bow and you don't have to take any damage to get the intended curse. (you don't sacrifice the playstyle of a ranger = killing things from afar)
    Lets say you prefer Brand + Highlords...Lets take a look at what Witchwildl can do for you...

Highlords give:
    20 ias - (witchwild takes care of that if we are comparing it to brand)
    Deadly Strike scaled to Level - (witchwild has this mod too...sick)
    Light damage - (not even worth mentioning really, i can get this much from a small charm)
    Light resist - (nice bonus but witchwild gives more than this and to ALL resist Its hard to get great resistances as a ranger paladin. One of their greatest downfalls.)
    Witchwild string Bow has 2 open sockets making its potential even that greater.

Witchwild probably out preforms both Brand and Highlords by itself. But with atmas also, you will see that the amp curse is going off WAAAY more than you expected it too.
    All this and you probably saved a couple of High runes and get better results and staying safe as a ranger.

18. LordC

LordC IncGamers Member

Running some numbers through the German skill calculator:

Assuming +4 to all skills from Annihilus and Torch, lvl90 Might merc, and maxed resistance auras,

Ice Diamond Bow, Dream Helm, Dragon Armor with Conviction as active aura:
    ~600 physical damage
    ~1080 cold damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~400 fire damage
    25% CtC Frost Nova for ~90 cold damage
    (~3460 total)
    and -125% enemy resists from Conviction, -20% cold resist from Ice

Kuko Shakaku, Dream Helm, Dragon Armor with Conviction active:
    ~240 physical damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~530 fire damage with AoE
    (~2130 total)
    and -150% enemy resists from Conviction

Kuko Shakaku, Dream Helm, 4x Fire Facet armor, with Holy Fire active
    ~240 physical damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~1430 fire damage with AoE
    (~3030 total)
    and -20% enemy fire resists from Facets

Brand Bow, Dream Helm, Dragon Armor with Conviction active:
    ~800 physical damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~490 fire damage with AoE
    100% CtC Bone Spear for ~170 magic damage
    (~2820 total)
    and -150% enemy resists from Conviction

Brand Bow, Dream Helm, Dragon Armor with Fanaticism active:
    ~1580 physical damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~490 fire damage with AoE
    100% CtC Bone Spear for ~170 magic damage
    (~3610 total)

Hand of Justice Bow, Dream Helm, Dragon Armor, with Conviction active:
    ~810 physical damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~1550 fire damage
    (~3720 total)
    and -150% enemy resists from Conviction and -20% fire resists from HoJ

Faith Bow, Dream Helm, Dragon Armor, with Holy Freeze active:
    ~1400 physical damage
    ~1360 light damage
    ~1610 cold damage
    ~520 fire damage
    (~4890 total)

These are just purely theoretical numbers; as DH Amazon noted, it's quite challenging to compare the effectiveness of different builds without trying them out, so these figures are provided merely as a point of discussion.

19. Inkognito

Thanks for the numbers LordC.
    Theoretical, but still very interesting to look at.

From other threads I've looked over in the necro forum, I believe the bonespear on brand bow only is emitted from the target that the actual arrow hits. I'll have to try and search for the exact testing that was done. But, if this is the case, the damage is only done to any (if any) targets in the path of the bone spear from the initial contact of its successful hit. In other words, bonespear from brand does NO damage except for any OTHER targets in the path from the original target.

In my experiences on my ranger, I could have a bow that does 20k damage and I'd probably STILL prefer a bow that has some kind of aoe effect. Without skills like ice arrow and strafe and explosive arrow/bolt, ranger's are extremely lacking in crowd control.
    Yes you can slow everything down to half a crawl with frost aura, but you still end up shooting in circles trying to pick off every little wayward target not directly in front of you.

I like every SINGLE arrow having the ability to take out WHOLE legions of demonic hordes. But thats just my ranger's play style. And this build is all about individual playstyle. If it was all about max damage, then I would've built a strafer. :wink: Thats my thoughts on bows like faith and hand of justice. Great against bosses. Eh...on other circumstances.

AMEN to that. Experience is the best teacher.

20. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Oh come on.. wws is a cult bow, for the niche elitist crowd.. its not a serious heavy duty weapon

Brands amp is seriously way WAY more useful than other ways of getting it, though it is very poorly known in the community, see my cs barb example with a brand merc, even girls can kind of survive with it!