The Running Man Tournament

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member
The Running Man Tournament

Author’s Introduction: Hello SPF. I usually do not play SP or browse the SPF; however, lately I have developed an interest because of a tournament that I wish to host. I have read the SPF Guide to Hosting your own Tournament as well as browsed the tournaments being currently held to make sure no one else is doing this. I also looked at past tournaments that have been held and did not see any that seemed similar to this (however I could be totally wrong). So, let us begin.

Tournament Introduction: A lone warrior steps bravely into the dark Blood Moor, surveying the desolate land about him. Before him lie innumerable enemies and fiends patiently waiting to rip and tear him apart. Raising his sword and shield, the warrior prepares to charge into furious battle, when suddenly a thought makes him stop.
Why should I bother killing all of these monsters?
Eyeing the dirt path before him, the warrior decides to continue moving, however, this time he will simply run past the monsters. He will run, run, run until he reaches his final destination… or dies in the process.

Thus, the Running Man was born.

Description: The goal of the Running Man Tournament is to see how far you can get through the game by running naked past monsters and enemies.

Time: This tournament will be an ongoing competition that lasts as long as people hold any interest in it. Considering I have no idea how many people will actually take part in this, it could be very short-lived or stretched out.

Rules and Explanations: There are a lot. Please read very carefully.
NOTE: To make the rules and explanations easier to understand, I will divide them into three separate conditions. The first conditions are the Always Conditions. All the rules found under the Always Conditions apply ALL the time within the tournament. The second conditions are the Running Conditions. These rules apply when you are running naked through the game. The third and most confusing conditions, the Advancing Conditions, apply when you MUST kill an enemy in order to advance. These conditions become active only when you:
-Are at the end of an act and must kill the boss to continue (Andariel, for example)
-Are at a point in the game where you must kill someone to accomplish a quest NECESSARY to continue moving forward (Summoner, for example)
-Are physically blocked from moving forward by an enemy (Maggots in Maggot Lair, for example)
An important aspect to note regarding the Advancing Conditions is that you must wait until you physically come to the enemy (Catacombs Level 4, for example) before these rules applies.

You probably have a lot of questions. Read below to find the answers.

Always Conditions:
-This tournament is to be played in Hardcore. This does NOT mean you can only try once. Feel free to try as many times as humanly possible. When you die, however, you should take a screenshot to prove your claim in where you died and how far you were in the game at the time. Then you should start over with a new character from the start.
-Potions may be used HOWEVER you can only use ones that you find WITHOUT killing anything. You can also purchase them by selling items to vendors that you find without killing anything. When I say potions, I mean ANY potions. We trust your honor in respecting this rule if you compete.
-You must play as a Paladin. This is to balance the amount of health/stamina gained per level among players which plays a crucial role in this tournament.
-No mods allowed.
-No muling allowed.

Running Conditions:
-You run naked. You may not use ANY item other than potions (that you acquire by the rules listed above).
-You never run backwards. In other words, you cannot return to town while you are running.
-You may not use any items including Town Portals except potions (see rules above).
-You may not have a mercenary.
-You may not hit anything.
-You may not use spells. This includes Auras.
-You MAY use any shrine that you find. If you find a shrine that Teleports you back, you may not use it.
-You MAY carry stuff that you will use when you move into Advancing Conditions (that you acquire by the rules listed below)
-You MAY toggle walk/run whenever you like.

Advancing Conditions:
NOTE: These only take place when the player finds themselves in one of the three situations described in the first note. As I described above, you must physically be at a point where you can no longer run for these rules to take effect. Therefore, once you run through all of Act 1 and find yourself in the Catacombs Level 4, you then can TP back to town (if the scroll is acquired by the rules listed below) and begin to prepare yourself to kill the enemy, in this case Andariel, in order to advance through the game. As soon as Andariel is dead, the Running Conditions take over again until the player must revert back to Advancing Conditions.
-You may use items that you find without killing anything.
-You may purchase items or mercenaries that you pay for with wealth accumulated by not killing anything.
-You may use any items (that you acquire by the rules above).
-You may kill anything (in order to gain experience so that you may kill whatever is necessary in order to continue advancing).
-You may run backwards. In other words, you are allowed to return to town while you are in Advancing Conditions.
-You may access your Stash.
-You may attack and use spells.
-You may place Stats. THERE IS A CAP OF 3 POINTS INTO VITALITY PER LEVEL.
-You may place Skills.
-You may use a mercenary (that you pay for by the rules above).
-THERE IS A CAP OF 10 LEVELS PER ACT. This means that if you place 3 points into Vitality every level and level the max 10 levels per Act, you will be adding 110 life points per Act. I believe this is fair considering the Paladin begins with 55. The point of this tournament is to see how fast you can run through the game; therefore, it is necessary to put limits like this so that people do not abuse the Advancing Conditions.
-Notes: Although you will be killing stuff in these conditions, do not pick up anything that they drop. The point of this tournament is to kill the least amount of things as possible and get through the game. AS SOON as the enemy is dead that forced you to switch on Advancing Conditions, go back to Running Conditions, which means lose your mercenary if you have one, take off all your items, and follow the rules listed in Running Conditions. When you are switching from Advancing to Running Conditions, you are allowed to access your stash if you run past it through town (at the end/start of an Act, for example).

Winner: There is no distinct winner until the tournament no longer has anyone interested. Whoever has made it the farthest will then be announced, in hopes to rekindle more competition.

Scores: As I said above, whoever has made it farthest into the game (with a screenshot to back it up) has the highest score.

Signup: Anyone may sign up within this thread. Post any questions here or feel free to PM me.

Final Note: This tournament places a LOT of trust into the players themselves. Although I do not know the people here, I believe it is a safe to assume everyone here will respectably follow the rules and play fairly. Hopefully everyone understands the rules and are somewhat interested in this tournament. If not, oh well.

xxnothing

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: The Running Man Tournament

This tournament sounds like something Insane Wayne or Superdave would do for kicks... heheh...
Very interesting concept, and you seem to have put allot of thought into the rules! I might be tempted to try this....

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

I'll play. I've seen talk of a tournament like this, but I'm glad to see it being put into action. It seems like this is a tournament character that can be started and finished in a single afternoon. ..Maybe that's my lack of faith that anyone will make it past ActII...

May I stress the importance of /nopickup? Remember that any equipment you pick up will fill empty slots if your character has the required stats & levels. A slight reminder to constantly check gear slots for auto-equipping low-req items.

Questions: to be sure, you say no backtracking to town, either physically or by Town Portal. Does that include waypoints, as well? If so, basically no one will go back to town until they reach Catacombs 4, right? Also, allowing for mercs during Advancing Conditions is a nice touch, but know that killing off mercs isn't the easiest thing to do when they constantly run away (read: those from ActI & III), even after stripping their gear.

As for expectations, I don't know if I've ever heard of someone beating Andariel at clvl 1, so good luck to all who participate!

Drop your name in the table. Update by furthest area reached!
Code:
[U]Forum Name          Character Name           Distance          Status        [/U]

TheReadMenace       Speedy_Gonzalez          Rogue Camp        Running

EDIT: There was a point I wanted to bring up before, but I wasn't sure about it until I quested ahead with a different character. You noted that when approaching the Summoner in the Arcane Sanctuary would put you into an Advancing Condition. However, killing the Summoner isn't required; only hitting the tome in the back and taking the red portal is necessary to advance.

Last edited:

ginNtonic

Banned

I have a question

Are we allowed to open chests/rocks/etc and pick up items from them while under running conditions? Obviously these items cannot be used until we reach an advancing condition, but I'm curious if we are allowed to collect these items along the way. Hope that makes sense :p

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm pretty sure you would have to, since there is no other way of getting items without killing monsters, and you can't do that. Well, you could buy them, but you wouldn't get money unless you opened a chest or something*.

*: I know there are places where money is laying on the floor, but this is no time to be technical.

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

@Readmenace: Thanks for signing up! Excellent question regarding waypoints: You are allowed to activate them while in Running Conditions, however, you may not use them until you are in Advancing Conditions.

As for mercs, if killing them is really a problem for you, I would suggest not getting one. I thought about this at the time, but I really want people to be able to use them while in Advancing Conditions to make it more easier. As I said, the focus of this tournament is running, not advancing.

Thanks for the tip regarding the Summoner, I forgot you did not need to kill him. This means the Advancing Conditions do not take place there then.

As for beating Andariel at lvl 1, no one said you had to do this. You can legally be level 11 when you kill Andariel as there is a cap of 10 levels per Act while in Advancing Conditions. You must, however, RUN to Andariel at level 1, then go back and kill her at a later level when you know she will die.

@ginNtonic: Yes, you are allowed to open chests/rocks/logs/barrels and everything you find to pick up items as long as you dont kill anything to get it.

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

Code:
[U]Forum Name          Character Name           Distance          Status        [/U]

oodjob              Bladerunner              Rogue Camp        Running

Nerigazh

Diabloii.Net Member

I think if anyone actually makes it to NM they should be allowed to thenceforth use Vigor. Everyone is a paladin anyway, and it seems tailor-made for this :D

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

I think if anyone actually makes it to NM they should be allowed to thenceforth use Vigor. Everyone is a paladin anyway, and it seems tailor-made for this :D
I will take this into consideration. It seems like it will become increasingly difficult to survive. :yes:

ginNtonic

Banned

I got to the Barracks with the_Tortoise. Things moved pretty fast. There isn't really a lot of time to pick things up from containers before you get swarmed... Help me!

Too slow...

I'm sure I'll try at least one more time. Gotta get to Andy and see if I can gain some levels at least.

@Oddjob: Can we complete quests during advancing mode? ie: run back to the Blood Moor and clear the Den of Evil?

Code:
Forum Name          Character Name           Distance          Status        

oodjob              Bladerunner              Rogue Camp        Running
ginNtonic           the_Tortoise             Barracks          RIP
ginNtonic           Kosmo                    Rogue Camp        Running

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the tip regarding the Summoner, I forgot you did not need to kill him. This means the Advancing Conditions do not take place there then.

As for beating Andariel at lvl 1, no one said you had to do this. You can legally be level 11 when you kill Andariel as there is a cap of 10 levels per Act while in Advancing Conditions. You must, however, RUN to Andariel at level 1, then go back and kill her at a later level when you know she will die.
That said about the Summoner, I think that simply running through the Arcane Sanctuary will be nigh impossible without killing things. All those stairways and passages will be swarmed with Night Clan; I figure it'll probably put you into Advancing Condition. You might not have to kill the Summoner himself, but his minions will most likely be a completely different story...

And I got really confused after you posted the second paragraph that's quoted above. I suppose gNt's question asks the same thing I'd like to know. So I understand you're not to kill anything 'til you reach Catacombs 4. However, all the levels you gain from that point come from... where? Are we allowed to backtrack to wherever we wish from that point, or are we supposed to repeatedly clean out Cata4?

Maybe I can answer my own question, but I'd like a definite response to be sure I'm not violating the rules. Quoted from the OP:

Advancing Conditions:
-You may kill anything (in order to gain experience so that you may kill whatever is necessary in order to continue advancing).
-You may run backwards. In other words, you are allowed to return to town while you are in Advancing Conditions.
Because the rules don't specifically state where we cannot run back to, can we assume we are allowed to level up whereever we choose?

Also came up with another question: If you don't gain the capped levels for an act (say, you only gain five levels in ActI), do you lose the potential for those ungained levels? So with the example above, if you start ActII at clvl6 will your cap for the end of ActII be 16 or 21?

@gNt: I figured tight areas like the Barracks would be the first real challenge. Nice to see what the benchmark will be for all that follow! :thumbup:

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

Excellent questions. You may go anywhere you like in Advancing Conditions and you may kill anything you like as well as doing Quests. The point of Advancing Conditions is simply to make SURE you can kill Andariel or Duriel etc. so that you can keep running naked in the next area after they are dead. Just remember the level and Vitality cap always apply.

Regarding the level cap: no, if you only level 5 times in one act, the remaining five levels do not roll over into the next act. Remember that this tournament is meant to be as fast as possible and that the only reason you are allowed to level is so that you can beat the necessary bosses and monsters. Therefore it is highly recommended that you only level when absolutely necessary and do not waste time getting to a needless high level.

Charlo

Diabloii.Net Member

this looks like my typa tourney

be keeping an eye on this one

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, Bladerunner had a decent run.

After a close call in the Underground Passage, he breathes a sigh of relief.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/oodjob/Screenshot050.jpg

Making his way through, he finally reaches Jail Level 2 where he finds Pitspawn Fouldog stuck behind a wall and laughs at him.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/oodjob/Screenshot053.jpg

Sweet Maria! Level 3.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/oodjob/Screenshot055.jpg

Then... the unthinkable happens. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a horde of evil Goatmen and Skeleton Archers jump the poor unsuspecting Bladerunner and Death blows his unlovely kiss.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/oodjob/Screenshot056-1.jpg

Apparently, my deeds of valor will be remembered.

Code:

oodjob              Bladerunner              Jail Level 3      RIP
ginNtonic           Kosmo                    Rogue Camp        Running

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

Any updates on the current runners? I am very interested to see if anyone has made it to level 4 Catacombs yet. Once there, the tournament will take on a new feeling. I will be trying again with a better, more faster, Bladerunner soon.

ginNtonic

Banned

I tried five more times. I didn't screenshot most of the deaths since they didn't beat my previous record. Deaths included fanaticism dark ones, extra fast black rogues(lol), sneaky archers, and this picture of imminent doom (edit: I just noticed this picture has xp. how is this possible?)

My last attempt I got to level 2 catacombs. Should have been level 3 but I was forced to walk through this. The stairs were just around the corner after the boss pack :(

After doing this a few times I'd like to make a suggestion to the rules. Allow contestants to use way points to travel back to town and sell off. Way points are usually out of the way from the fastest zone to zone route so it shouldn't make the whole thing trivial. It would be nice to use the WP's to refill potions as well. I have yet to die from running out of stamina, so letting players re-up on stam pots and health pots might help to get through the running conditions. Up to Oddjob obviously, but I think it would be a welcome addition to the tourney. I've been making run attempts when I need a break from MF'ing, so I'm sure I'll try again :p

Code:

ginNtonic           Kosmo                    Catacombs 3       RIP

Last edited:

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

Real life's gotten in the way this week; I had been an AT-running madman the past three weeks, but I haven't gotten more than a half hour of playtime since Saturday. I'm constantly checking in, but that's about all I could do so far.

About WPs: Yeah, I had the same thought about how WPs are basically on your way, but I don't really like the idea of being able to use them all. Consider this: In ActII, once you get the Viper Amulet you're forced to go back to town about halfway through the act in order to infiltrate the palace cellars. If you go with the spirit of that, I'd say that there should be ONLY ONE useable WP for each act, i.e. The Outer Cloister, Lower Kurast, River of Flame, and the Crystalline Passage (and none for ActII since there's no logical one). But of course it's just an idea: I'm not saying it's necessary, but it could help alleviate a bit of the pressure to conserve potions.

Which leads to a question to you two: what /p setting are you running on? Remember that higher settings gives more loot from chests/rocks/corpses.

As for the table, it's all about the distance. I ordered it according to who has done the best thus far. :thumbup:
Code:
[U]Forum Name          Character Name           Distance          Status [/U]       

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

I see your point regarding waypoints. I too felt the pain of having low health and not having any way of getting potions (unless I found them). Makes you feel useless (not to mention vulnerable).

Let us apply a new rule then: you may use waypoints while in Running Conditions, however, only once per Act. Obviously this does not apply to Advancing Conditions.

As for /p settings, you can do that any way you want. This tournament does not require any specific one. Personally, I will be changing mine per runs to see which fits me best.

Last edited:

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member

I've gotten a chance to make a few attempts. I've done it on /p8 for higher item drops, but it doesn't much matter. I keep to the pathways for ultimate quickness, which means I don't see many chests. Something I've found is that Stamina shrines make things so much quicker.

ginNtonic said:
(edit: I just noticed this picture has xp. how is this possible?)
I've found two ways so far, so no need to freak out. First, if you hit a fire shrine (or possibly a poison shrine; I haven't hit one yet) it's capable of killing, even on /p8. A second way is by Flavie; she can take out an enemy or two as you leave the Blood Moor. If you run on /p8 it won't happen, though.

My first attempt with Speedy_Gonzalez went better than I thought. ...Still nothing to brag about, though. Furthest I made it was Jail Level 1. And then there was no more.

I've since done five total attempts, and the best so far was with Speedy_IV. Not much better, though. Then deeds (no screenie; it's the progress that matters, not the death).

I'm finding it's not really a lack of potions, it's been all about getting surrounded and being unable to escape. Maybe someday I'll get patient and clear out doorways before I attempt to sprint through. Never give up!
Code:
[U]Forum Name          Character Name           Distance          Status [/U]       

TheReadMenace       Speedy_IV                Jail Level 2      RIP
TheReadMenace       Speedy_Gonzalez          Jail Level 1      RIP

Last edited:

oodjob

Diabloii.Net Member

Well, I did a run with one trip back to town via WP. It helped a lot as I managed plenty of potions. Unfortunately I died at the same level as my last attempt. I believe next run will make it, however, I will not be able to try for a while.:yes: