Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Rune Finder

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by tarzanell, Apr 6, 2005.

1. tarzanell

tarzanell IncGamers Member

The Rune Finder

Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted in these forums but I have a curious point I've been wondering about for some time now regarding a rune finding character.

A couple of months ago I ended up in a 2-man game with a barb who had the highest-end runeword equipment on (i.e. 2 hotos to bo with, enigma, bla bla bla you know what I mean: the same 4 runewords everyone uses over and over again. All the same, if I had 2 hotos on one char I'd probably show them off in the trade screen too). He couldn't believe me when I told him I had never found a high rune, saying that he had found an ohm, a cham, and 2 vexes this season alone.

Apparently, he uses the find item skill on the high rune droppers: hephasto, council members, izzy, etc. in full games with his buddies. It makes a hell of a lot of sense, as runes are items, so it's logical that FI is the skill to use. But I never see barbs doing this kind of thing.

Am I so off base? Or is this common knowledge?

n.b. sorry if this is the wrong forum...I just thought cuz it's stat based it would go well here :cool:

2. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

I don't think you can hork Izzy or Hephasto (or in general, any quest monsters, like Blood Raven, Summoner etc). Certainly horking the council isn't a bad idea.

But this is not going to be the difference between no runes and dozens of runes. At best it'll mean getting ~50% more runes than you otherwise would have.

Someone with stacks of runes is either playing and trading a whole lot, or doesn't mind getting them from unsavoury sources (duped runes take zero effort to "find").

3. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

can you hork fire enhanced monsters? E.g. Countress.

I'm not aware if she also counts as a quest monster :p

4. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Countess is a quest monster, and can't be horked. However, random fire enchanted bosses can be horked. Horking council members is very common, since the results are very good.

5. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

It would be nice with a list of the best monsters to hork for high runes ^^
    Could anyone create such a list for little me? :)

6. tarzanell

tarzanell IncGamers Member

Great idea zerker. And thanks for the replies, it's nice to see some positive responses unlike those I tend to get on the blizz forums.

It's a shame no quest monsters can be horked, but if/when I ever make this barb-o, he'd probably focus on the council (durance level 3 included) and wraith-class monsters. Unless someone else has any other ideas?

Edit: heh, like most other hard-headed finders, I refuse to stop searching till I've found a high rune or two. I know it's mostly futile, but what can I say?

7. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Me too, I have found all up to vex, tho... I'd like to just see a Ber rune drop and think "WOW that single drop is better than every rune I have ever found in the past... combined!!"

8. goldfronts

goldfronts IncGamers Member

Ber is basically worth Vex since they're both hr's lol.

9. Alywin

Alywin IncGamers Member

Horking is just the same as normal item finding (when you kill a monster) so you don't need a "special" list. It is just like killing a monster twice. Actually, since the chance of dropping a high rune is anyway very low for any particular monsters, you just have to keep horking... :lol: Personally, the "highest" item I have horked out was the set diadem.

10. aicoped

aicoped IncGamers Member

ber not worth vex

ber is only worth vex in a market saturated with dupes. in new ladder you can do about 20 hell forges to earn a vex via two gul. try to get a ber so easy.

11. Rune

Rune IncGamers Member

i did find ist gul vex ohm back in 1.09 of cows , in 1.10 i found Lo and ber in baalruns and i found a jah of pindelskin , i "just" need to find Sur zod nd cham , than iv found all runes.. one of my mates found 2 Lo runes at pindelskinn in less than 100 runs. so i think just kill pindelskinn alot and you will get some high runes.. and ofc you will get some nice items aswell

12. Glakor

Glakor IncGamers Member

will magic find benefit horking? if so i could see this being very beneficial. whoever this barb was may be starting a new trend :lol:

13. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Yes, magic find certainly affects horking. However, it does not affect rune drops, which is what the OP was mostly interested in.

The idea of a horking barb with high MF is certainly not new :lol: They were just about the MF char prior to 1.10 when they nerfed all melee builds.

14. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Would a "Horker" with a strong merc be able to use Grim Ward to run pindle? Like use one or more of the corpses already there to build wards, chasing off everything but Pindle himself, and then even have the merc (with MF gear) kill him? This would open up every slot of equipment for MF gear, and skill points en masse for hork, grim ward and natural resist or BO or whatever, really....

15. Lensor

Lensor Banned

Hm, this is probably old news, but takling about Pindle... Could one stash a horker with all possible mf/gold gear, not caring one iota about survivability and/or kill speed, and just go through the red portal (preferably in full games) and hork the corpses already there, leaving Pindle?? One would probably get R/D immediately due to very fast runs, but would it be worth while?

16. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

It can be done, but it is a waste of time. Normal monsters drop uniques sooo rarely that it isn't worth it. I still think I'm going to put that one point in Grim Ward and see if my tactic works. 1300+ MF on the kill and 1000+ MF when horking should make a difference. And if I don't have to kill any of the others up there, just pindle, it should be fast and safe as well.

17. FreezBee

FreezBee IncGamers Member

Hmmm... my 2 cents. BTW: does anybody know the exchange rate between € and $?).

Not necessarily a waste of time - it's quick and riscless, if you only do the dead zombies, and they might drop other usefull items, e.g. charms and runes. Ans I've personally found some of my best items from regular monsters, not from Act Bossses - they always drop more of what you already have; I mean, just have many copies of Isenhart's Case can anyone use? :lol:

cheers

- FreezBee
    '