Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Rose Bowl

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PatMaGroin, Dec 5, 2005.

1. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

The Rose Bowl

Here, according to Stewart Mandel from SI.com are 3 reasons why the Rose Bowl will not be another 55-19 drubbing like last year.
    And three reasons why it might be.
    What do you guys think?

2. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

I just hope someone can end this USC streak. It is no secret that I think they have an easy path to the championship the last few years. I said a few weeks ago that UCLA is highly overrated due to a really wimpy schedule. Texas is pretty much the same this year as to not having a strong schedule. I would have rather seen USC playing an Ohio State, Penn State, LSU, etc., but I think Texas has a shot at them. Texas' defense is 9th in the country and USC's is 39th. I am just so sick of the Trojans, I could puke. Go Longhorns!!!

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

This is the 4th straight year that the haters are coming out with "USC will finally meet someone of a good caliber in their bowl game, and that team will expose them." Sorry, not gonna happen. This'll be the 4th straight year USC makes the haters eat their words. A team doesn't win 34 straight games unless they're really damn good. And USC is really damn good.

Pete Carrol has a month to iron out his defense. We all know what Pete Carrol can do with a month. And considering he really only has to worry about one player on the other team...

Texas has no idea what kind of offense is coming at them. They're in for a rude awakening on January 4th. USC can hit from anywhere. There's too much for Texas to stop, or even slow. Texas will score. Hell they might even make the first half interesting. But they're not going to win. That's asking way too much of Vince Young.

Against teams whose average offensive ranking is 62nd, and only two of which are in the top 25 offenses in the nation.

Fight on Trojans.

4. El Malo

El Malo IncGamers Member

Texas hasn't played a team like USC. They beat Ohio State. Texas has had the easy way into to the rose bowl, because the big 12 was a joke this year. If they had to play the same schedule as USC they wouldn't have a defense ranked so high. Everyone keeps trying to say that USC has had an easy schedule, what are you nuts?! USC has played more ranked teams than Texas has, the Pac 10 has more ranked teams this year through out the season. At one point the Pac 10 had UCLA, Cal, Oregon, ASU, and USC ranked all at the same time. They only lost rank because they all beat up on each other during conference play(how Oregon did not get a BCS bowl game over Notre Dame seems to pass me by; sorry about the off topic I don't want to even get into this and I'll leave it at that). And might I add that the stage for this showdown is in SoCal. All in all I hope this game is a better game than last years. I just hope that this so called "great" Texas team show up to give them Trojans a game. I'll say no more about this bowl game till after the game is done and over with. Till Jan. 4 folks. Fight on!!!

-El Malo "The Trojan Man"

5. PatMaGroin

I think if Fresno State can go blow for blow with USC, Texas shouldn't have much trouble.

And don't even bring up the Texas-TAMU game, unless Leinart starts running the option.

Unranked Arizona State played USC to a ten point difference, as did unranked Fresno State. USC squeaked by ND because of an act of God when the ball rolled out of bounds. They did handle Oregon, but Oregon is nothing. Oregon played 1 ranked team (USC) and 1 team that currently recieved any votes at all in the AP Poll (Fresno State, Oregon won by 3). So Oregon does not deserve a BCS Bowl.

USC blew out UCLA, ranked 17th, Texas blew out Texas Tech, ranked 18th. Texas beat number 4 Ohio State by 3, USC beat number 5 ND by 3. Texas has the number 1 offense, USC has number 2. Tell me how these two aren't evenly matched? Oh that's right, Texas has a defense.

If you're going to argue, at least make a case with a little evidence.

6. Ranger14

UCLA and Oregon. Look at their schedules. Whoopty Doo!!! The Pac-10 was pathetic this year once again. One great team and a few good teams beat up on a bunch of average and below average conference teams and poor out-of-conference teams. This is coming from an ASU and lifetime Pac-10 fan, but I am not blinded by bias to see the forest for the trees.

Yep, Ev...4 years in a row of winning the big game. I will give them that. Didn't take them as much to get to the big game and that is my beef. Plus two of the big games were split championships if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised to see USC win, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas win either. I just wish the NCAA would give the Pac-10 teams a little more of a schedule if one team is always going to be a championship contender.

7. PatMaGroin

Pac 10 sounds a lot like the Big 12 when ya put it that way.

And about the weak schedules, individual school schedule their non conference games.

And Ev_, as far as the BCS is concerned, USC has one national title in the past 4 years, the same as Oklahoma and LSU. And seeing as how USC is part of the Pac-10, which is a founding conference of the BCS, with their conference head splitting time as BCS coordinator as all other conference heads do, the Men of Troy don't have much an argument there, which is why they don't complain about it. They leave that to Auburn.

I will say, the Men of Troy has got to be the coolest nickname in college football.
    Sounds a little like Texas Tech, but with a running game. And seeing as how Texas has one of the best secondaries in the nation, along with one of the best d lines in the nation, they should be alright. Tad weak at linebacker though.

8. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I predict that in a surprise move, the Houston Texans will show up at the Rose Bowl in place of the Texas Longhorns and will manage to lose spectaculary 24-0, failing to score even against USC's putrid defense.

9. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

Longhorns run up the score against Jr. College teams.

So long as they keep doing that they don't deserve to win a title.

(Yes, yes USC does it too but not nearly as flagrantely or against teams nearly as crappy as Texas does it do)

10. PatMaGroin

Everyony in college does it, and don't say USC does it, but not as bad. The most points Texas scored this year was against Colorado, in the big 12 CHAMPIONSHIP game.

People go to Texas games to see Vince Young play. People pay money to see Vince Young. Without people paying money to see Vince, the football program does not have funding. If I buy a ticket to see the Foo Fighters in concert, but halfway through, the Foo Fighters went backstage and W.A.S.P. came out and played, I would be pretty upset.

11. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Welcome to every conference in NCAA football. Stop acting like the Pac-10 is in a class below the others.

Ranger, you have only ever made one argument, and it's always "team X sucks, just look at their schedule." And you say this like a team's schedule is the only factor in determining how good a team is. It's a factor, of course it is, but to have that be your leading argument—or your only one—loses its merit really fast. Tell me what team deserves to be in the championship over USC, and why.

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

"but with a running game" hardly describes USC

that better be a good secondary, sounds like Bush & White are gonna be through to the secondary pretty quick

13. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

West Coast football sucks, go SEC

14. Ranger14

Seems like a lot of sports analysts have been saying all season that the Pac-10 and the Big 12 were weak this year, though I still give the edge to the Big 12. I would take a Nebraska or Oklahoma this year over UCLA or Oregon. They talk about the weakness of these conferences and USC's schedule every other week on ESPN and sports radio, so it's not just me. ;) I strongly feel the the SEC and the Big 10 are tougher conferences and play overall better teams.

Based on record, USC should be playing in the championship game. No way around it regardless of the schedule as they have no losses. I still feel if they would play 3 teams along the caliber of Georgia, Miami and LSU during a season we wouldn't see an undefeated team that has played the likes of UCLA, Oregon and ASU. The difference between the caliber of those three SEC teams compared to the 3 Pac-10 teams is significantly different as far as I see it.

15. PatMaGroin

Thought this was interesting, some results from the final Coaches Poll

Linky

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

That's funny...UCLA beat Oklahoma.

Nope, if that were the case we'd be seeing an undefeated USC team that has played the likes of Georgia, Miami, and LSU. They'd still mop the floor with those teams.

17. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Yes, well over half the USC team wouldn't even make the Texans or even the NFL for that matter and yet they would still win....interesting.

18. PatMaGroin

I wish Miami had a good quarterback this year. I like the young kid, but he's got a way to go. I think the Canes defense could definitely give USC some trouble, but without a QB or a breakout RB they wouldn't win.

19. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Texas has one of the biggest D lines. But they're going to have problems with USC sweeps. Those Texas linebackers is going to be the reason Texas loses, because the Texas secondaries do not tackle well.

Looks like the two best teams in the nation is playing. As for the weak conference this and weak conference that and boo hooo hooo, why can't "my team" go to the Rose Bowl - they're not going because they SUCK!

20. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Except that the two Trojans that will be drafted will probably go #1 and #2 in next year's NFL draft.