Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The road less traveled

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Aug 1, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

This game has many holes and caves, which probably don't get much love, as they are not in the path of questing, or high area level.

I've been playing with my WW Barb, first time going melee in ages, so I think it's fun exploring areas I usually don' visit. For example, I cleared the Mausoleum at the burial grounds, after whacking Blood Raven. It was fun :)

Do you guys have any spots, which you haven't visited in years? I don't think I have ever entered Swampy Pit, maybe back in 2000 :oops:

PhineasB likes this.
  2. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

The cave in the cold plains got a few visits from me, for normal Coldcrow runs. I abandoned that pretty quickly though.

There's another cave under Black Marsh, which I only clear on full clears, which are extremely rare.

Stony Tomb don't get a lot of visits from me, besides that, act 2 is pretty well visited

I don't touch the Arachnid Lair, and only go into the Black Marsh if I can't get into the Flayer Jungle from the Spider Forest. Swampy Pit isn't touched either, and I only visit the 5 remaining temples if I have an exp shrine, and that's usually normal diff only.

Act 4 don't really have caves, but I sometimes dream that it does.

Act 5 portal areas don't get much attention from me either, nor Nilly's place, after I abandoned him for Diablo when going for 99

Then there's the ice caves, which do get some attention, but only in 1.07

3. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I haven't cleared those places in years, you mention there @helvete. Damn...don't think I've ever cleared that cave under the Black Marsh.

I think I am going to clear Valley Of Snakes today, as I never go pass the Temple...or Stoney Tomb.

Act 3 is my least favorite, due to the rain and just generally depressing landscape. I just try to rush through it as fast as possible. Lower Kurast is cosey, though, with It's fireplaces and huts. I haven't cleared any of the temples since I first found out The Ruined Temple is the place which holds the Lam Of Esen.

4. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

we should do a places unknown tourney... :)

i mean city of the damned... i usually skip that place

Not to speak of the wonderfull other places this game has to offer.

PhineasB likes this.
  5. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

Yea. I haven't entered Nihlathak's temple since before my restart. He has corpse explosion!!! :eek:

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think I've never taken the upper right way down into harem level 2. Why is it underground BTW?

7. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

I often visit the Kurast Temples during my playthroughs if they're on my way. On Hell difficulty, they are alvl 84/85, so there's always a small chance of something nice dropping. The exp is also good, there are always couple of bosspacks, and they are so tiny it doesn't really cost much time. Downside is potential for nasty stairtraps.

Can't remember the last time I visited Stony Tomb or Swampy Pit though.

8. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

How many of you have visited the Halls of the Dead in NM or Hell? :p

9. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Yes....and in HC, I've paid the ultimate price before thanks to one of those stairtraps. :(

I was just going to post the same thing! :)

For me, Act V Abaddon and The Pit Of Acheron never hit my radar . Neither does Nihlathak, as I don't want the portal to Pindleskin to close up (especially for my Summoner Necro, who raids the graveyard at the start of any game he's in).

PhineasB likes this.
  10. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

I've done that, for the purpose of getting more cubes, when I've muled them off for twinking, then didn't want to lose my maps.

11. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I've done all of the areas mentioned here, and some more than once, when leveling up the sorc in my sept recently. It was a fun change of pace for a while, but in Hell I hardly bothered anymore. I might do such zones again while questing though.

A tournament of doing all temples in Act 3 Hell could be fun.

PhineasB likes this.
  12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

My area running habits:
    1. I don't remember the last time I went into the Cave in Cold Plains.
    2. I have killed Blood Raven (in norm) once in a very, very, long time. I don't remember the last time I killed her in NM/Hell.
    3. I don't remember the last time I went into the two crypt-type areas in A1 (in any difficulty, but particularly norm). I used to go in there all the time with new characters for leveling, aiming to get out of there at clvl ~9 or so.
    4. I don't remember the last time I killed the Countess on any difficulty level. I used to run her all the time in v1.09/v1.10(?) for runes, etc. back when the levels were smaller.
    5. I don't remember the last time I went into the Pit during PvM outside of Hell MF'ing.
    6. I don't remember the last time I went into the Halls of the Dead to get a Cube. A long time ago I realized I could mule them and have done that ever since.
    7. Save one recent time when I misread the symbol on the outside, I have probably once in the last 10 years gone into non-Duriel Canyon of the Magi temple/cave in A2. And that was in normal.
    8. I only go, on all difficulties, into the quest-needed spider cave; I don't go to the other one.
    9. I avoid the Great Marsh whenever possible.
    10. I don't think I have ever gone into the Swampy Pit.
    11. I usually, on all difficulties, do full clears of the A3 Kurast temples (Bazaar, Upper, and Causeway) b/c of experience.
    12. I rarely go into the side areas in A5, but:
    13. I used to go into the Pit of Acheron, Abaddon, and Infernal Pit - again for XP purposes - but don't remember the last time I went there.
    14. I do a full clears of the Frozen River (cave from Crystalline Passage).
    15. I don't do Drifter Cavern (cave in Glacial Trail) as a general rule, but I might pop my head in there to see what is there match-up wise.
    16. Every once in a while I will do the Icy Cellar (cave from Ancient's Way) and kill Frozenstein, but again it is now more often like the Drifter Cavern.
    17. I've slayed Nihl a lot with my clvl 98/99 characters (~500M XP worth...), but rarely with a non-clvl 99-bound character.
    18. I don't remember the last time I went into the Secret Cow Level.
    19. I don't think I have killed the Cow King on any level with any character since v1.10 came I went to SP.

T72on1 and PhineasB like this.
  13. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

Nice topic; it's interesting to see how others play when questing. I tend toward skipping anything that isn't necessary to move through when questing a character through. But during my 7x7+2, I started to get a little bored on the character progression:
    Aside from the untwinked characters, the last 10 or so twinked characters in that project also cleared every A85 area in hell, plus Nihl's temple. All on p1 (or maybe p3 for a few of the stronger characters), so it wasn't too tough, but it helped keep things interesting (and theoretically opened up some extra drops).

The A5 areas, in particular, were enjoyable, as I've almost always ignored them. I also had fun in the A85 area near Blood Raven (Masoleum?), and those characters generally also cleared the other one (Crypt?). I plan to follow this approach for future characters that are questing.

Aside from full clears, my characters also almost always try to move through A3 as quickly as possible, so Great Marsh is avoided as much as possible, and any unnecessary underground areas in that Act. That's part of what made the full clears a nice change of pace.

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm only doing the Nihlathak quest if I feel the need of naming an item which is worth it. With other words, I almost never did that since I stopped playing on bnet. I'm doing all other quests, however. I even run to Ashaera (the act 3 merc agent) after retrieving the Gidbinn, just to get rid of the reminder in the quest window.

I have plenty of unused imbuing rewards, however, because I'm usually too lazy to mule worthy stuff to the characters. Nitpickers might say that this counts as an unfinished quest.

A propos Ashaera and the Gidbinn quest, how do you cash in her reward when playing the expansion, the free Iron wolves? IIRC, you won't get one for free if you replace your current merc or come back for that later. In the expansion, it seems that this would only work if you don't have a merc at all, i.e. you didn't receive the Blood Reven reward. I have to admit that I haven't made many attempts at that so far, however, probably because act 3 mercs are of limited use.

But if you mule it (which I'm doing as well), the giver probably wants a new one. You can basically only get one in act 2. Or do your characters not have one at all once they are through the quests?

The Council in Travincal would drop one on defeat as well if you don't have one for some reason and you still have to assemble Khalim's Will. You could mule it back before fighting them, but I think it's easier to regain one with a character who would have no problems with that in hell or who doesn't have to worry about losing the map and switching to normal.

I didn't notice that the symbols in the valley were at fixed places until perhaps 2012, so I ran along the wall every single time I had to do the quest until I was at the right entrance. I felt pretty stupid once I found that out.

15. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I know the symbols in the valley are fixed, but just can't remember them :(.

DiabloTwoinDC likes this.
  16. Maltatai

Maltatai Diabloii.Net Member

I have cleared hell fully with the latest characters but aside from that I join the masses of those who avoid the swampy pit, temples of unholy stairtraps and the infernal little portals.

17. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

Nope. The giver no longer needs it. GoMule says I have 20 of them in a single stash and 40 in total (b/c I used to make Mat/Pat one after the other after the other, and always for a very long time did Halls of the Dead in Norm for each one).

Same, other than I know which one is in the corner (directly north from waypoint). And I always start from east side and work my way NW to corner and SE to end.

18. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

I have never gotten into Lower Kurast chest opening runs. It does not feel like game-play to me :) Perhaps I should change my mind?

19. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

I would :)

Crazy Runner Guy likes this.
  20. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

I restrict how much I run LK. It's great way to get runes. But, like you said, doesn't feel like gameplay.