Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The rise of Talic

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Well, I decided that I want to go with a barb for my third HC try because I don't have one yet and also the one I want to make softcore is going to be titan zerker. However WW is the very classic skill that I never really used other than maybe once or twice ten years ago and so I decided to go for it here.

And since I want to use shield, WW and actually a sword because swords are cool, what better name for my toon would be than Talic?

I think I want to keep a little journal of Talic's heroic deeds and hopefully not dead so why not? It keeps me more interested when I can share my playthroughs with other people.

Also I have a little question so I can think of stats now. I'm not counting on dropping a SS but it would be my end-game shield if it actually did drop. What are the necessary stats for SS? It's monarch so obviously 156 str however what about block? I think it's something like 232 dex total for 75% block at lvl 99?

2. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

You will more likely use a Whitstans Guard or a Moser's Blessed Circle from nightmare, they are easier to farm. And never forget Gerke's Sanctuary and Rhyme Tower shield! ;)

3. Ergroilnin

So far everything is going just fine, I'm playing on /p8 and mostly killing champion and boss packs and every level is +2 str, +2 dex and +1 vit so far. Oh atm I am lvl 20 and have finished first 4 quests so far.

I also ran Countess quite bit and so now I have Steel Two-Handed Sword and Stealt Ring Mail which is pretty nice. I also gotten my first set item - Hsarus buckler which is decent enough. I'm liking this barb so far :)

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  4. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

I'm assuming you're untwinked?
    I just started a similar character, so I'll be interested to check in here and watch your progress. It's my first HC character, and he's a Barb. I can't decide on WW, Berserk, or Concentrate for endgame skill. Right now, just going with Frenzy until I get around to using my respec. I think I'm going to go two-handed, so no looking for a shield as of yet.

I just beat Normal last night, so now in NM at level 40. Using a shopped sword and axe with some decent damage and mana leech, so I don't need blues anymore. I have an OK amount of MF - maybe around 70-100%? (Tarnhelm, MF boots, ring, amulet, and gloves), yet nothing too useful has dropped thus far.

So far my play has been essentially single-pass, although I have re-run some areas for experience--just full clears of Bloody Foothills for example. I will probably only begin running areas once I get desperate for gear.

Anyway, good luck!

5. Mungojerry

Mungojerry IncGamers Member

You're gonna want two onehanders or one two hander in the end. Main problem is always damage. And if you cover damage and leech(resists, you're good.

6. BBS_Agonistes

That was actually the reason I chose a Barb over a Pally as my first HC character. I knew I'd probably need to go two handed to get enough damage, and figured the Barb would let me do that with a point or two in natural resistances.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  7. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

No need for max block in SP in my opinion. That's mostly useful for PvP. The Damage reduction is usually more than enough to keep you alive.

8. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

This can be true, but better safe than sorry in HC. I find that max block is nice to have against Duriel and later game archers, for sure. But don't take too much away from vitality to get there. Maybe find out how much dex the good swords need, get that much, and then see what kind of shield you end up with.

9. BBS_Agonistes

How is the tally whacker doing? (har har)

I just posted in the Lounge thread, but I thought I'd mention it here because I remembered you were making a similar character. I lost my HC WW Barb at level 68 in Hell.

Basically, if you are WWing without CBF, you can get stuck in a really slow, long whirl. It's great because it hits enemies a lot, but you can't drink potions, so you can get in a sticky situation real quick. This is what happened to me! So, either go with CBF or perhaps be ready to make some quick NDEs! Also, check what kind of monster pack you're whirling into before taking the plunge...

Full post here:
    So… this hurt.
    I lost my first HC Character, a WW barb, at level 68, Act 1 of Hell.

First of all, he was a fairly lucky character. Picked up Tarnhelm fairly early in the game, and I shopped a lot of high MF gear. By the time I reached NM, a 30% Nagelring dropped, and I was running NM Mephisto and Andariel at 300% MF fairly comfortably.

Gore Riders dropped, as well as a pair of Butcher’s Pupils. When I moved on to Hell at level 66, I put on Tal Rasha’s helm (10% dual leech) and upped my Nightsmoke (50% dmg taken goes to mana) and with my Merc’s Insight it was a really strong set up mana-wise. I could whirl through just about anything without losing mana. Even when I because mana burned in the middle of a pack, or couldn't leech undead, the dmg taken goes to mana was a life saver.

I became really excited at the thought of running the Countess and putting together Oath, so when I reached the tower I pushed ahead too quickly. I was running without CBF (gave Duriel’s Shell to the merc), because WW Barbs hit more when frozen anyway. But the problem was that I became really badly frozen whirling through the Countess’s chamber and wasn’t really paying attention (TV going at the same time) and a pack of archers was hammering me. Before I could finish my frozen whirl... dead.

To be honest, it was a really strong build, and there was no reason for me to deed the poor guy. I just became impatient and overconfident precisely because he had been quite strong so far. So, I take full blame, but if I do it again I probably will keep the CBF even if making a WW Barb.

I can’t look at another Barb that quickly afterward, so a Paladin it is. He is now at level 24. He’ll be a cookie-cutter Zealot, though I'm not sure whether I'll do Frost or Fanat.

Also, I didn't really miss having a shield. Even with 2h / dual wield, the most annoying part was hacking monsters for forever, so I switched to p1-3 at times when the going became too slow. I didn't really feel like putting points in Dex, since the high Vitality was such a lifesaver in Hell, and I didn't really need the resists from the shield. WW leaves a lot of leftover points for Natural Resists. I was lucky and shopped an Echoing sword off Hell Charsi the first time I ever visited her, so that coupled with Spirit made for level 6 Natural resists even with just one point in it. I think the going would have been unbearably slow going one-handed, but as my dead character shows, I need to work on patience...

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  10. Ergroilnin

Dang I kind of forgot about this, I died to normal Diablo when he decided to cage me and fry me before I even blinked and I was kind of pissed about it so this thread slipped my mind. My bad.

Ouch sorry for your whirler, that's a shame especially considering how nice gear you got on him for untwinked :(

BBS_Agonistes likes this.