Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Riots of the Faithful

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Choogy, May 28, 2005.

1. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

The Riots of the Faithful

Rather long article here, fair warning.

Source

Orson Scott Card is my hero

2. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

I feel creepy.... I had that article copied to put into the other thread...

Garbad

3. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I agree and disagree with some of the things that he says in this article. Since I have only read fictional things from this author (who happens to be my favourite) this type of article sort of took me by surprise. I didn't know he was Mormon (which doesn't bother me) and I thought the article was really good.

4. Garbad_the_Weak

He is one of my favorites too.

If you check the books carefully tho, he has a person who is mormon in every book. They also on occasion refer to it in a discrete way. Kind of interesting, actually. I like that he doesn't try to hide it or promote it, it is just another part of the background of the stories he tells.

Which of his books are your favs btw?

Garbad

5. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I love the Ender Series and the Homecoming series. I really enjoyed Enchantment as well.

6. Garbad_the_Weak

I absolutely love Ender's Game. One of my top all time books. I was much less impressed with Speaker and such. Btw, you don't happen to know if he is coming out with anything new, do you?

Garbad

7. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

You can always check out his website. http://www.hatrack.com
    That's where I get all my info. You can also read the first chapter of his books. I forgot to mention I like his new biblical stories about women. They are very interesting.

8. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Pretty good article.

Number 1 is very good.

Number 2 is Orson being offended by the worldviews of intellectuals, which happen to disagree with his own.

Number 3 is very good.

Number 4 is very good except for this:

...as opposed to the other kinds of murder and crimes [/justification of Iraq War]

And number 5 is very good, but he ended it poorly:

I really am curious which universities have professors that force their students to think certain things.

9. Garbad_the_Weak

Stand up in any university in america and say you think affirmative action is immoral.

Garbad

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Or that Shrub was right in going to war, or that Israel has a right to exist, or....

I thought the article quite interesting, though I don't necessarily buy off on its entirety. Cute turn of phrase though - I'll have to remember "Smartland", since it fits nicely against "Jesusland".

11. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

I don't see how that relates to my statement.

12. Garbad_the_Weak

It shows how university professors control your thoughts. If you express an opinion like that, you will be shouted down. Try it if you doubt me.

Garbad

13. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

No, it only shows what position the majority of professors hold on that issue.

14. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

I pretty much stopped scanning the article at the point that it demanded that the media self-censor anything that might embarass the US 'because bad things might happen'. You know what makes bad things happen? People with power becoming unaccountable and untouchable. Oh, and they only report on things like Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo because they're 'out to get Bush', obviously.

Yeah, sure :rolleyes:

15. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Let's be fair, the newsmedia is trying to outscoop the rest of the media, they want something hotter and bigger than the next guy. to do that, they have to take aim at the biggest targets and dig until they can find something. that means the president, adn that means everything that he does will be discovered and aired in lurid detail. sure there were those who had second thoughts about airing clinton's indescretions, but once it was out there, they all had to compete with each other to see who had the most "complete" coverage.

16. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

I'd say that whole comment about Christians at universities relates to the "living life below the radar" part. Honestly, it's hard to find people who'd openly walk around campus promoting christianity. You'll find some, for sure, but for the most part they will stay under the radar. I mean, I'm a christian but I'm not proclaiming it or anything...

17. Garbad_the_Weak

No, it is among the opinions professors will not allow you to express. They will assume you are ignorant or trolling and will make sure you stop. That opinion will not be left standing as a viable alternative, professors will try to completely dismiss it as inappropriate.

Garbad

18. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

That is quite different from thought control, wouldn't you say? A good debator could make a professor look like a fool, but then again, the classroom is the last remaining dictatorship.

EDIT: Btw, most of my professors are conservative Republicans. None of them politicize their classrooms. I'm willing to bet only a small fraction of college professors do.

19. Garbad_the_Weak

If those statements are all true, you go to a very unique school. And you also must be in a very concrete major.

And a debator in a classroom won't make a professor look stupid. They will irk their classmates, probably lack sufficient background to debate a prof, and they cannot control the floor in any event.

The control is in dismissing some ideas/perspectives as not appropriate to debate or so obvious if you hold them you must be ignorant or blindly following your parents, etc. Such as trying to debate evolution/affirmative action, etc. Try it and watch the labels fly.

Garbad

20. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I'll take your bet and I'll even spot you 10 to 1 odds. Are you in a science or engineering-related field of study?