Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Rev. Lovely's 10 Forum Commandments.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by LovelyGods, Mar 3, 2004.

1. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

The Rev. Lovely's 10 Forum Commandments.

Since rag left, and the whole forum is in horrible shape im gonna list some of the things not to do..

These arn't ment to be offensive to anyone, in any way , shape or form. These are just suggestions to keep in mind before you post questions or responses.

Im gonna write the first five you guys finish em up...

1. Thou shall not post questions in which thy answers are clearly written in the FAQ.

2. Thou shall not post off topic threads that have nothing to do with diablo II or the paladin. This is what P msg is for, msg ur friends.

3. Thou shall not post any more questions about a hammerdin, there is already 2 guides for them and 100 posts a day about them. :surprise: There are other paladin builds you know.

4. Thou shall not make dumb posts out of ignorance when the answers are already written in a similar post, that was made that morning.

5. Thou shall not post obvious questions( ie. Stats, skills, gear) reguarding how to make a specific build that sombody already wrote a guide for. R.E.A.D.

Ok its your turn, You finish off the next 5.

2. Diminished-Soul

Diminished-Soul IncGamers Member

Rofl GG

Rules 6-10 Time to PARTY! :flip:

3. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

6. Thou shall use the search function

7. Thou shall talk in a polite, easy to understand manner, using proper sentences.

8. Thou shall have no avatars of people throwing up or do other unpleasent things.

9. Thou shall not flame, troll, or descriminate.

10. Thou shall post legitemate questions, without fear, that are not answered in the stickies.

4. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

Thou shalt not make stupid posts like the quoted one. Make them sensable people ~.~

Thou shalt USE THE MOTHER EFFIN SEARCH FUNCTION TO LOOK FOR THREADS PERTAINING TO AND OR MATCHING YOUR EFFIN QUESTIONS... I'm not angry.

Thou shalt avoid starting flame wars and fanning the fires. IT GETS OLD PEOPLE, TAKE IT TO PM!

The other two are all you guys.

5. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Put this one in there somewhere... or we can just make it 15 commandments ;)

Thou shalt not post stupid questions whose answers are recorded in triplicate on the Arreat Summit... it's the freakin' official D2 site, so use it for crying out loud!

6. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

How about, thou shalt not try to enforce things that will never happen. Like, having people actually use the search feature or read all the FAQS first. Not going to happen, never has, never will. The best you can do if you don't want to answer someones question is either a) don't reply with anything, or b) Point them to the FAQs and/or search, or a specific post.

Because right now every question has been asked at some point in time. If we assume that nobody should ask a question that's already been asked, than we can all just pack our bags, there will be no new questions to answer.

The search doesn't work that well. If you need an answer it's far easier to ask and see if someone responds than trying to go through a bunch of different posts looking for that one specific answer.

Not everyone knows what the Arreat Summit is either. Nor is it always correct.

We were all noobs at some point, remember that.

7. Diminished-Soul

Starting flame wars eh?

Looks like you are trying to start one. NO FURTHER COMMENTS ON UR POST THAT IS QUOTED.

Anywayz, Yes I agree with Mack. He is right, no one will ever use the search features and stuff because either they are new or just lazy.

8. memememe173

And I guess your busy dreaming about your future//lottery//opposite sex well we have more sensible dreams

9. Diminished-Soul

Um, what is wrong with dreaming about that? Those are more iportant than a game.

10. WvX_leader

WvX_leader Banned

1) Thou shalt not commit flame
    2) Thou shalt not steal questions
    3) Thou shal obey your moderators
    4) Thou shal post in a positive manner. If another manner is chosen - Though shal go to hell.
    5) Thou shal read the rest of the commandments
    6) Thou shalt not discriminate someone who is different from you
    7) Thou shal stay on topic. If you like Off Topic threads, stay in the Druid forums
    8) Thou shal use all manners your mothers taught you
    9) Thou shal use the search function before making a question related thread
    10) Thou shal follow the above rules, or risk bannishment from the paladin kingdom

11. Farnham_the_Drunk

Farnham_the_Drunk IncGamers Member

The first commandment God gave unto the people and it said "Thou shalt not use the word Hammerdin in vain.... no wait... PERIOD"

Chances are (a 99.99999% chance infact) if you have a question about a hammerdin you haven't played one prior to this patch. Ofcourse if you haven't played before this patch.. Welcome to my world :evil:

It's laid out pretty simple people.. it can't get much easier than what's in the guide. The ONLY exception would be dueling strategies. Anything PvM.. well I hope a spike fiend kills you :innocent: (in a nice kindly way that is)

12. memememe173

Apparently the art of sarcasm is lost on you or you are being just overly sarcastic in return either way :yawn:

13. Any1

Any1 Banned

Sometimes I think PoopyPants had the right idea with: "wtf are you talking about crack head?". It gets you banned for three days, but it does send a certain message to the people who either can't verbalize the simplest of ideas, or are completely unwilling to do any foot-work of their own.

People who are smart and considerate enough to read and research, don't need the rules. The people who are not, aren't going to pay attention to them.

You can summerize all the suggested commandments into one:

Thou shalt pull both thumbs out of your rectum before posting on this board.

14. Apologetix

Apologetix IncGamers Member

any1: in the thread where poopy said that the original poster did not fail to communicate at all.. in fact i understood every word of it.

and people will always look for an easier way to do things. a lot of the times the guides dont cover everything and people have specific questions. if you have such a big problem dont reply in those threads or maybe try and be helpful instead of just shouting "read on your own" because not only are you wasting your time, but infinitely worse, you are wasting someone elses time.

lets not be so overly dramatic about something that should not be such a huge issue. live and let live.

15. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

OMG N00B!! GTFO

Actually you have a point there, on both lines :p

Farnham, hammerdins were very very very rare before the patch because they hardly did a thing with their hammers (what was the hammerdin's best damage prepatch... 400 tops?)

16. Diminished-Soul

Uh like 2-3.5k hammers

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Thou shalt make me a sandwich

18. Suryl

Suryl USEast Trading Moderator

The problems in this forum are not due to new people, they are due mainly to a few "veterans" who seem to believe that its ok to flame those that they deem deserving.

NO ONE no matter what they post may be flamed. Someone could come here and post "Paladins are the worst characters ever" and you MAY NOT flame them. You may report them for trolling, but you MAY NOT point out their ignorance to them by calling them stupid or any other name.

As some pointed out in this thread, if you don't like the question, just don't answer it or point them to where it is answered.

Correction, it got him banned for 3 days this time. It will get him banned permanently next time. And any of you will be banned permanently for posting it. So if it gets your point across, you won't be here to see the results. IMHO hardly worth it.

And let's discuss what point was that? Often people read into posts instead of reading what is right there. Wait a few days and reread the initial post that you feel deserved such a response. It was clear. If someone else thought it wasn't they could have asked him to be more clear as to what he/she was asking. Instead he got flamed and of course his responses to that would be less clear. Make someone feel unwelcome and see if that doesn't make them try harder. (that was sarcasm :D )

And you think your forum problems are due to people posting questions? I think your problems are more likely caused by these kinds of attitudes. When someone new to the forums sees others posting these things, why shouldn't they have the same attitude? Each thread I've looked at that had flaming in it, had a long term member if not instigating it, then at the very least fanning the flames. You set the tone for your forum. You've simply failed to set a good tone lately. I know you will do better, you play paladins after all. :D

It would be a horseradish and jelly sandwich. I'm sure you'll find it delicious. BTW, Dawn of the Dead. 'nuff said

19. Arctic_Fox

Arctic_Fox IncGamers Member

Yea, thats about right. I had a .09 Hammerdin with almost everything perfect, and had damage in that range. With only 3 skill points from 1.10, i boosted his damage over 1.5K. It was sickening.

While vets may get a feeling of superiority, it is wrong to place the burden on their shoulders entirely. Compare these forums to a press conference, and us members to journalists. Journalists don't go asking the same question again, after it's just been asked. If a juornalist missed a question, or was away and just entered, he would try and catch up on what he had lost, not go beating the burned bushes. Of course it's unrealistic for have newcomers read every post in the land, but surely they have some inteligence. It is their responsibility to seek the answers they want. In life you can't keep asking others to do your work. Granted sometimes you need to ask, and by all means, do so - but it's wrong to throw foo at the vets for the unwillingness of those newcomers

Thou shaltdo your bit for Dii.net society, which includeth reading previous posts, writing replies and posts for the greater good of everyone, and arithmatic .. i dunno.. i needed the 3 R's of school so last one got thrown in.

:worship: Paladins :worship:

20. Any1

Any1 Banned

That is exactly what I said in my post. What are you correcting?

You're wrong. This thread was an example of people venting, which doesn't happen too often BTW. I can only speak for myself, 95% of all my responses are meant to be helpful to the poster. However, people come in and ask a question when on the front page of the board there are two other threads with the exact same topic. People come in with no idea what a FAQ or Arreat Summit is. The same person that PoopyPants flamed and got banned for it (I think even he would agree that his response was way over-the-top and the ban was justified), claimed that he knew that HoZ was upgradable, but wanted to know if it was going to end up being a Zakarum Shield. Now, what kind of insane question is that? The meaning of upgrading a Gilded Shield is that it will become a Zakarum Shield. When faced with this kind of complete lapse in logic, a little "attitude" is well deserved. If that results in me getting banned, so be it.